What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rantings and Ravings

smilley

Veteran
I was able to top the C5H x KC again. As one of the plants is shorter and slower growing (front right), I decided not to top it. I think I'm done topping so it's full speed ahead till flip.

20231225_110544.jpg

When I used to grow under HID my ambient temps ran at about 30C+. Now under LEDs, the temps are about 25C which is ideal for me. My basement is well insulated and I can reduce the exhaust which increases the temps. In dark phase the temps run at about 17C. That's low, but it tends to add colour to the buds depending on the strain. Over the years I've tried putting a small electric heater in the grow area to raise the temps and that works well. I'm kinda cheap so I'm not a big fan of adding heat just to exhaust it immediately.

I switched to LED to reduce the temps but the big advantage as I see it, is no rebulbing costs. I used to change the hps and mh bulbs yearly and I've probably saved the cost of the LEDS by not having to do that anymore. I live in northern Canada so it's a building code to insulate the basement walls with R20.
I live in northern europe and growing in winter is always a mega pain in the butt as my basement isn't heated or insulated, but it is what it is and its a constant battle to maintain adequate temps which is why I run my light at night, and its cheaper too 😊 :

Attachments

• IMG_20210521_190948.jpg
    IMG_20210521_190948.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 37

smilley

Veteran
I live in northern europe and growing in winter is always a mega pain in the butt as my basement isn't heated or insulated, but it is what it is and its a constant battle to maintain adequate temps which is why I run my light at night, and its cheaper too 😊 :
Your plants look excellent. They seem to be showing cold weather colours but they look great. Styrofoam rigid insulation around and on top of your tent would help keep the heat in. Is the basement ceiling insulated? Otherwise, your house heating bills must be high.

smilley

Veteran
Here's the finished curing product from the first crop. 520g from 680 watts. I'm happy with that. I've never achieved a gram per watt but I keep trying. If the curent crop yields as good or better I'll have enough weed till next Winter. I'll put the Zamal Bliss away for a couple of monhs to cure. It'll be way better then.
20231227_205513.jpg

Your plants look excellent. They seem to be showing cold weather colours but they look great. Styrofoam rigid insulation around and on top of your tent would help keep the heat in. Is the basement ceiling insulated? Otherwise, your house heating bills must be high.
The ceiling is insulated but depending how cold it is outside temps can go as low as 11 grad which is a pain. The pic looks a bit reddish because I had a Vipar Led in there with the hps, here is how they look without lights

Attachments

• IMG_20210522_094659.jpg
    IMG_20210522_094659.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 34

smilley

Veteran
Nice !! That looks better. Wow, you're killing it. What strain(s) have you got there?

Nice !! That looks better. Wow, you're killing it. What strain(s) have you got there?
Thanks !, I got 3 varieties there in the tent, the left side front and back are wild thailand from world of seeds, the front one on the right hand side is blue cindy and the one behind it is amnesia.
I liked the blue cindy, it was really stoney.

smilley

Veteran
I did a little research on the Wild Thailand and it sounds like something I may be interested in. I'd be interested to hear your appraisal of it.

I did a little research on the Wild Thailand and it sounds like something I may be interested in. I'd be interested to hear your appraisal of it.
Its a really good smoke packed full of resin, I remember when I was manicuring these two after they had dried I could actually hear the resin falling on the paper beneath they were so crusted with resin. I tend to prefer sativas and wild thailand is a landrace but it does have a bit of body to it too at the end, in fact its one of the few strains I have grown more than once and will definitely recomend.

I'm not sure if its allowed here to link to another forum but here is a smoke report I made on the 420 forum for it :

smilley

Veteran
This is the Blueberry. She's the slowest growing under the blurple light. Still putting out the odd mutant looking leaf but healthy and content. She may outstretch the Strawberry Banana Cheese after flip, we'll see...

20231230_105004.jpg
20231230_105041.jpg

smilley

Veteran
The three sisters. Lots of variation between them. They're five days from flip.

Strawberry Banana Cheese
20240101_121901.jpg

And below is the four C5Haze x Kali China. I'll probably flip these at the same time as the others so I don't have to put the door on the little room.
20240101_123242.jpg

smilley

Veteran
Today is day 2 of 11/13 in both rooms. All plants are happy and healthy and ready for the stretch. I believe there is adeqate head room in both rooms.

The blurple light (Strawberry Banana Cheese and Blueberry)
20240106_130527.jpg

The big room (C5Haze x KaliChina)
20240106_130700.jpg

smilley

Veteran
The gardens are 16 days into 11/13.

I cleared out all the undergrowth of the plants under the blurple light and tightened the canopy a little with some twist ties.
20240121_131638.jpg

20240121_131651.jpg

I repotted the 4 C5 Haze x Kali China. 3 are in 7 gallon pots and the smaller one is in a 5 gallon pot. I'm hoping for another 6 inches of stretch but we'll see. Everything is healthy.
20240121_131925.jpg
20240121_131950.jpg

smilley

Veteran
So, I retired the 200 watt blurple light. Issues with the ballast were causing one of the 4 led boards to flash constantly and a second board starting the same issue. I have a temporary borrowed 240 watt quantum board in place while I await delivery of my new fixture.

I'll miss the old blurple light as it consistently produced 150 - 200g per 4 plant crop. But out with the old and in with the new. This is my new AGLEX 320.
Screenshot 2024-01-31 5.29.47 PM.png

It has pretty good reviews and most importantly it was cheap.

Here's the 3 Strawberry Banana Cheese and 1 Blueberry (front left) at 27 days of 11/13.

20240131_170252.jpg

And here are the 4 C5 Haze x Kali China.
20240131_170304.jpg
20240131_170701.jpg

Last edited:

smilley

Veteran
This is the second day with the Aglex 320 in my little room. It fits the room perfectly.
20240203_121104.jpg

I ponied up C$51 for ballast extension cord and when it arrives I'll remove the ballast from the top of the fixture and locate it outside of the grow space. Right now, the fixture is only 10 inches above the canopy and I'm running it at 75% intensity. I can lower 3 of the plants 1 1/2 inches and use a smaller S hook and try it at 100% but I'll wait till the ballast cord arrives.
20240203_121143.jpg

Otherwise, I just need to tighten the canopy a little and everything should be good till harvest in about 5 weeks.
20240203_121117.jpg

smilley

Veteran
Here's the Blueberry starting to show a little colour at 31 days of 11/13. They don't usually start showing colour till late in flower but I suspect the recent lighting issues may have stressed her a bit.
20240204_103616.jpg
20240204_103530.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts