What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rantings and Ravings

smilley

Veteran
Here's a finished WIFI bud with 2 weeks of cure into it. This is some very nice smoke from Blimburn Seeds. I grew the original from OG Raskal a few years ago and this is very similar. I still have 5 seeds so I'll probably run a crop of them under the 480 next year.

20231208_181703.jpg

smilley

Veteran
I took down another Zamal Bliss today at 79 days of 11/13. This one is bigger than the last one and the buds are firmer. I've smoked a few reefers of the ZB so far but it'll really need a couple of months curing to make a proper assessment. Right now, it's like smoking hay with a pretty good kick.

20231211_112716 (1).jpg

Last edited:

smilley

Veteran
I haven't shown the seedlings much yet but they're under the blurple light atm and they don't photo worth a damn there and I'm too lazy to pull them all out. They're doing good, and when the ZB is harvested they'll be front and center. Oh, sorry about the poor quality of the last ZB pic. I'll try and do better :oops:

smilley

Veteran
I chopped this Zamal Bliss at 79 days of 11/13. She's the biggest and branchiest.
20231213_102054.jpg

She put out some nanners the last few weeks of flower. I found 2 mature seeds while manicuring the last plant and this one is the culprit. I'm sure I'll find a few more as I smoke my way through the buds. I'll save them. When I grew Zamaldelica I found 6 seeds. I grew them out and they produced some nice weed.
20231213_101824.jpg

Good production.
20231213_111423.jpg

smilley

Veteran
Yup, I didn't even notice till a couple of days ago. And I wonder why my wife says I'm oblivious, lol. There is no visible pollen anywhere so I suspect the nanners are mostly sterile but obviously not completely. I won't grow any selfed seeds if I find them but I'll certainly test out the seeds from the other plant. I don't think the potency of that plant will be affected but I certainly would have chopped it earlier if I'd known. I think it's the Zamal that has the hermi tendency, The Nep/Jam side of the hybrid has been worked and stabilized.

Anyway, it is what it is. The proof will be in the dried and cured bud.:smoker:

smilley

Veteran
It was a busy day in the grow room today. I repotted all the seedlings into 2 gal pots and gave away one of the Blueberrys to my buddy in the neighborhood. Here's a pic of the rootmass...

20231217_130049.jpg

Here's a pic of the 3 Strawberry Banana Cheese and the Blueberry under the 200 blurple light. The Blueberry is back right.
20231217_154525.jpg

And below is the 4 C5 Haze x Kali China under the 480 dimmed 60%..
20231217_154455.jpg

All the seedlings were topped just above the 3rd node...

smilley

Veteran
Here's an overview of my set-up. I built it 19 years ago and it's produced good weed every winter ever since. It's actually a closet like room under the stairs on the left and a larger 5ft x 4ft full height area on the right. I have a door that I can put on the left room so I can run two different light cycles when needed.
20231218_144911.jpg

The room on the left has headroom issues as it's under the basement stairs so the plants need to be no more than 42 inches from the top of the pots.
20231218_144929.jpg

Here's a shot of the main space. I can grow 5 footers here, maybe a little more with some ingenuity. I try to maintain the canopy 24 inches below the fixture and gradually increase the intensity until about 5 weeks into flower and then full power till finish. I run a couple of far red light pucks attached as outriggers on the fixture.
20231218_144948.jpg

And lastly, there is a 360 cfm exhaust fan with a carbon filter attached. It vents to the outside.
20231218_150009.jpg

Anyway, that's it. Total footprint is about 50 sq ft and there is a lockable door separating the whole thing from the rest of the basement. Thanks for looking in.

Last edited:

smilley

Veteran
Vegging seems boring and unproductive. Really though, it lays the foundation for the final harvest and contributes to the total yield. Topping and training commences here and it's important to time your veg cycle to get the best out of your grow area. I'm not much of a trainer but I will stake and tie if the plants don't do what I expect them to.

These are the C5 Haze x Kali Chinas. Topped just above the 3rd node and recovering from that and repotting. They're 26 days from planting. I plan to top them again in 5 or 6 days and flip them when they're 16 - 18 inches. I expect a 2X stretch so hopefully they'll finish 54 - 60 inches. They're only about 5 inches tall now but should start growing up soon. I expect them to veg for another 2 -3 weeks.
20231220_161906.jpg

smilley

Veteran
Here's the 3 Strawberry Banana Cheese. I bought these seeds because they were on sale as discontinued stock and 70% indica. I didn't want something that stretched uncontrollably. I'll top them again as required to try and maintain similar height.
20231222_133859.jpg

Here's the Blueberry. She started out producing mutant looking leaf sets. She's starting to look more normal.
20231222_140236.jpg

smilley

Veteran
I topped this Strawberry Banana Cheese again. She's 1.5 inches taller than the other 3 under the blurple light. I'll flip the blurple light to 11/13 when the first plant gets to 14 inches. This one is 6 inches tall.
20231223_114411.jpg

Here's an overview of my set-up. I built it 19 years ago and it's produced good weed every winter ever since. It's actually a closet like room under the stairs on the left and a larger 5ft x 4ft full height area on the right. I have a door that I can put on the left room so I can run two different light cycles when needed. View attachment 18934825

The room on the left has headroom issues as it's under the basement stairs so the plants need to be no more than 42 inches from the top of the pots. View attachment 18934824

Here's a shot of the main space. I can grow 5 footers here, maybe a little more with some ingenuity. I try to maintain the canopy 24 inches below the fixture and gradually increase the intensity until about 5 weeks into flower and then full power till finish. I run a couple of far red light pucks attached as outriggers on the fixture. View attachment 18934823

And lastly, there is a 360 cfm exhaust fan with a carbon filter attached. It vents to the outside. View attachment 18934826

Anyway, that's it. Total footprint is about 50 sq ft and there is a lockable door separating the whole thing from the rest of the basement. Thanks for looking in.
Nice setup, but how do you cope with cold temperatures in winter ?, if your basement is anything like mine it will be freezing cold which is why I can't use LED's in my grow tent,, has to be MH/HPS all the way to provide some heat to the plants.

smilley

Veteran
Nice setup, but how do you cope with cold temperatures in winter ?, if your basement is anything like mine it will be freezing cold which is why I can't use LED's in my grow tent,, has to be MH/HPS all the way to provide some heat to the plants.
When I used to grow under HID my ambient temps ran at about 30C+. Now under LEDs, the temps are about 25C which is ideal for me. My basement is well insulated and I can reduce the exhaust which increases the temps. In dark phase the temps run at about 17C. That's low, but it tends to add colour to the buds depending on the strain. Over the years I've tried putting a small electric heater in the grow area to raise the temps and that works well. I'm kinda cheap so I'm not a big fan of adding heat just to exhaust it immediately.

I switched to LED to reduce the temps but the big advantage as I see it, is no rebulbing costs. I used to change the hps and mh bulbs yearly and I've probably saved the cost of the LEDS by not having to do that anymore. I live in northern Canada so it's a building code to insulate the basement walls with R20.

Latest posts

Latest posts