What's new

Raistlin's Room '08

R

Raistlin Majere

cellardweller ~ indeed :joint:

mjcuresall ~ thanks for the kynd words bro :friends:
tonight i'll make up a dummy jar and post pics so you all know the first steps
:smoweed:

clorox ~ :muahaha: much as you like to trip my friend, you should give this a try
perfectly legal to order spores in the states except in "CALIFORNIA, GEORGIA, OR IDAHO"
i have always had them sent right to my house, ordered with my debit card

ARTofMAKINGfire

Grinding extra.
Veteran
Raistlin Majere said:
perfectly legal to order spores in the states except in "CALIFORNIA, GEORGIA, OR IDAHO"
i have always had them sent right to my house, ordered with my debit card

That does it for me. I'm going to go the "easy" easy at first Raist, and make my way up to your style. Definatley doing this now.

I remember reading somewhere once that you can get a "spore print" from your mushies, making you not have to re-purchase the spore syringe. Is this in fact possible?

I'm going to look for Penis Envy... Might as well do it right.

R

Raistlin Majere

vintner ~ :wave: haveing a great week bro thanks, hope you are as well

ARTofMAKINGfire ~ yes you can make a spore print, i have never worked with prints so i could not help you there
you can also make your own syringes over and over, also never done this but i get the concept and it seems easy enough
PF tek is pretty much the easiest straight forward tek there is, go that route
i order spores from thehawkseye and sporeworks
usually sporeworks cause they always send more freebies :muahaha:

as i said i'll make a jar tonight and post the pics for ya bro
order a syringe or two and get some supplies (you need a list ?), i'll help in any way i can

you can make your jars while waiting for the spores to show up
:smoweed:

Y

YwouldntI

ok so i been lookin around and i see these shroom kits that comes with,the spores(you can pick wich ones)and a syrynge and a aquarium lookin thing to grow em in,i think a small heater thing and a light i believe.are these good kits or naw? i wanna order a nice whole setup and do it right.problem is i dont know anything about this yet,so i was wonderin if you could link me up to a good one right quick.
i figure imma want a nice sized setup,not too small.thanx yo,peace.

ARTofMAKINGfire

Grinding extra.
Veteran
Psilocybe cubensis : Penis Envy

Psilocybe cubensis : PES Amazonian

$17.00 each.
$42.00 with shipping.
Just ordered these strains.
Fuck all those "sterilized substrates"
I'm not a moron, they are selling overpriced bags of Rye and vermiculite.
Raist, once they come I'll hit you up for a little help...

Edit: Just read you post. I ordered from Sporeworks so we'll see if they hook up some freebies!

If you could make a list bro that would be sweet!

I got ground shipping so about a week to get supplies... Bring it on!

Last edited:

ARTofMAKINGfire

Grinding extra.
Veteran
Y - Yo man, I'll let Raist handle this of course, but just from lookin at those kits and the mediums they are pushin, MY OPINION would be that (especially seeing the dank chron you can push out) you are more than capable of making a sterilized substrate.

I think the sterilization occurs in the microwave...

So from I can tell, it's mixing a bunch of stuff up, moistening it just right and heating it up... Then from there just handle with latex and care?

I can't wait for them syringies to get here!

R

Raistlin Majere

YwouldntI ~ never looked at or ordered any kits, to much $$
this is a great chamber HERE you can build, if you wanna go larger than a fishtank

ARTofMAKINGfire ~ two good strains my friend :ying:
yes you will get a freebie with them as well

begining supplies you will need
half pint canning jars with the lids (wallmart) ball or kerr brand
they have two types i like the taller ones
make sure the sides go straight up without a lip

vermiculite (the finer the better, pinch it through the bag to feel it)
brown rice flour/powdered brown rice however they word it (health food store)

you will need a veggie steamer as well

thats it for the first month about, oh yeah some half inch masking tape and some tinfoil
i'll post up pics tonight in further detail

Last edited:

vintner

Careful, I just had my bullshit meter recalibrated
Veteran
Very nice tutorial Raistlin. I was wondering when that would happen here. Good job! K+ & :respect: to you my friend. :rasta:
Stay safe all.

clorox

Smokin on that serious...
hmm, ive lurked the shroomery for ever, but between growing and brewing, and being on tour, im not sure if i have the time to get into mycology right now

R

Raistlin Majere

OK here goes, i hope i don't miss anything

2 kinds of half pint jars out there, i prefer the taller skinny ones because the substrate just seems to fit better in it

prepare your lid by poking 4 holes in it about half an inch in from the edge
when the lid is in the ring the holes need to be seen
also DO NOT poke the holes from the top, flip it over to the side with the red edge and poke from that side
a hammer and a small nail works well for this, the hole should be about pencil lead size

tape the lids together like so

hope you all can follow this so far :)
next we want to mix our substate
the mix is as follows
1/2 cup of horticultural vermiculite
1/4 cup of brown rice powder
1/4 cup of water ( i use just a tad less)
you want to mix up one jar at a time so each jar is the exact same as the next one

this verm is as big as i would go, i much prefer the smaller grade as it works so much better - any bigger would probably not let colonization take very well

put the brown rice to the side kinda, pour water on the verm and let it soak in a few seconds
note* use a spoon to fill your measuring cup with rice, if you just dip in your formula will be thrown off

mix well with a fork, you do not want any clumps or see any rice clumps either

spoon the substrate into your jar, if you get close to the top and have a bunch left
hold the jar in one hand and smake it down on your other palm, causing the contents to settle as needed
fill to this point here

you can use your spoon to GENTLY press down to where it needs to be
NEVER pack it in there tighty
fill to the top with verm out of the bag

cap it up and move to the next jar

no need really to be steril while making the jars, i smoke herb and ciggs the whole time, and if i drop a spoonfull i just scoop it back up and into the jar
continued in next post.........................

Last edited:
R

Raistlin Majere

ok make all your jars at the same time
then we need to steam them

fill your steamer up till it about half an inch above the screened part
bring to a boil ( you can do this once you have enough jars to fill it, as it takes an hour to steam)
i use two of these at the same time, really cuts down on the waiting

before you put the jars in the pot the lids must be loosened, about half way is the key
play with it abit and see how they work, you do not want the lid to fall off when you pull the jar out !!
but you need the steam to get inside well enough

cut a tinfoil peice as big as your pot and cover the jars, put it right on top of them and tuck the edges down beside the jars
reason for this is so no water drips off the lid into the jars, throwing off your formula

then cut another tinfoil peice and put it over the top of the pot
stick pot lid on this piece

steam for one hour
take jars out and let cool
once cooled for a few hours tighten the lids on them
let cool fully overnight before innoculating
the jars can sit for weeks in a cool dark spot if needed, but i like to use them fresh as possable

ok your syringes will come in a box like this

and look like this, except the needle tip will not be attatched
when you put it on use quick sure movements and expose it as little as possable to the air
NEVER TOUCH THE NEEDLE OR THE SYRINGE !!!

wash your hands and no smoking now :) no fans in the room run a air filter for a bit before hand if you want to, but i never do
just don't touch any part of the needle thats not the clear plastic
before your gonna do the deed hold up like this

and shake back and forth, it creates a cyclone effect inside and mixes the spores very well
i mix it half way in between jars as well, do 4 mix do 4

peal back the tape from enough jars for one syringe

hold syringe like so

insert all the way and at a angle against the glass, despence a small amount so it runs down the side of the jar
again using quick and sure movements
pretend you have already done this 1000 times

close tape up, then if doing several strains use a marker to lable the tale what strain it is

after a week or so you will see 4 small white spot form and then slowly colonize the whole cake

-----------------------------------
no i am sure i missed a thing or two i'll try and make sure i have it all down though
please ask any question you want :friends:

Last edited:

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Yeah.....Raist you sure have it on lockdown. I'm gathering that the "casing" technique is just spreading the innoculated medium over a much larger substrate and covering it with something like dirt or vermiculite or whatever. Then having a much greater surface area and alot more substrate to eat up...you get more mushies. The cakes have always been rather straightforward for me since I learned...but for whatever reason I have a mental stumbling block with the tray. I'm staying tuned.

By the way: I'll make an offer here that I hope peeps don't innundate me with....I have a video that took me from Mushroom moron to at least capable of getting mushies to grow off cakes. They go over the casing method too...but I just never really paid too much attention after I got my fix on cakes...
If anyone in this thread wants a copy of that DVD I'd be happy to run off a few. Conversely, I've said a few times that there are already growing videos out there to be gotten right off of the net...here's an example from demonoid for the same video:
http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1325735/5640825/
It's called "Mushroom Growing Made Easy".
If you don't have a demonoid account, check out some other torrent sites like the pirate bay:
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3447581/Mushroom_Growing_Made_Easy.avi

That's where I got mine...and I read books about it and tried it for years. Raistlin's explanations are really all you need to know...they're rather perfect....
But some people are audio-visual learners...and I know this video helped me.

accessndx

Veteran
Raist: looks like you and I were posting at the same time! LOL. I just wanna know 1 thing: what are you "blocking" out with those orange squares in your post!?!? I mean, I can see your fingers and hands.....in their entirety pretty much....but I can't see that part where your fingers meet your palm. If it were a hand puppet, you'd have the eyes covered so to speak...
So the question begs to be asked: what the heck is going on there? I can only assume there's gotta be a tattoo/scar or identifying mark there. Either that or you have a hand puppet that you're preserving the identity of. LOL.

R

Raistlin Majere

blocking all hand lines, yeah i am paranoid :bashhead:
but LEO has me entire hand prints on file

the casing also helps get water to the substrate, a very needed thing as cubies are 90% water when growing

anyone who takes the time to do the cakes might as well case them
the yeild is so much better
however ARTofMAKINGfire wants to work with cakes so i am gonna post a mini casing tek when the time comes :rasta:

actually i'll post it now
after the whole cake has colonized wait a week or two if you can before removing them from the jar
soak the cakes under water for 24 hours, they float so you need to rig something up to hold them under
by this time they are pretty resistant to contam. - unless you break them open

after 24hrs roll them in dry verm till they are covered compleatly
put in your tank and mist till verm is a bit soaked
improves yeild very much over plain jane cakes

accessndx

Veteran
clorox said:
if he dosent want people to see it, why would he tell people what it was? :bashhead: :laughing:

I was at least hoping for a HUMOROUS response/clarification from Raistlin...I wasn't trying to instill paranoia. Hell, If I really wanted to I could lift the pictures off the site from a bunch of grows...blow up the finger pads, and pull a biometric scan if I really wanted to figure out who someone was. It really wouldn't take much. (Law & Order dramatic music playing.....paranoia setting in).
All jokes aside and more to the point: I'm just curious why he didn't block out the WHOLE hand. Raistlin knows better than anyone on the planet I pose no threat to him. I'm just busting chops.

U

UBER21

Im deff digging the spores thing going on here....RM I will deff need ur expertise in due time when im ready to start.......peace bro