What's new

rain defenses?

baet

uon-if shes wet and muddy cut her down, trim all fan leaves and bud leaves and get her close to heat for a little bit, then just hang her and have constant air flow. dont wnat budrot.

my shelter completely failed.. went down there and it was trashed. emergency harvest in the rain, had hang poundsssss in the garage, then take them off manicure, hair dry, shake and re-hang. just finished an hour ago with help from a few friends, aewsome day though as bad as it sounds, my garage has SOO much weed in it, made up for the early harvest in the rain. just waitingg for them to dry for awhile then paper bag. the 6 months of growth is over, and im excited!

floater

LOL. thanks for coming in here and saving us from all the BS advice. we were lost until you decided to share your brilliant point of view.

So you're telling me that getting rainwater inside my dense buds doesn't raise the risk factors for botrytis and other flavors of fungal funk? what a jackass all of us norcal growers must feel like now that you've set us straight.

Can you teach me everything you know about growing? First, i have to go outside and take down all those tents so that my plants can get rained on.

Bud rot is not the only reason we keep the rain off our plants. There is this stuff called wind, its been around for a while- at least since the 70's. When your plants are weighed down with rainwater, they tend to snap when that wind stuff comes along in 40mph gusts.

But please, NOBODY FOLLOW THE BS ADVICE ON ICMAG. you're just wasting your time.

Oh how I just love people who think they are the smartest **** in the room...

good luck with 40mph gusts and those pop tents. seriously, rain doesn't affect the development of mold- humidity does (rain events are inevitably high in humidity, but not exclusively so- any night the dew point meets the ambient temp is high humidity)even without rain, high humidity fosters mold growth. humidity is the foremost factor in mold development.

simply covering plants with pop tents doesn't do much for mold. in fact, it does shit when buds are thick- very little difference as far as mold development is concerned.

add to that high winds- you think those cheap vendor tents do anything? if you remove them, they'll probably have the same amount of rot, or a very marginal reduction in mold development. not worth other, negative possible factors. wind? well, if wind is coming from greater than 45 degrees altitude, then sure, it'll save some wind damage- IF you can ensure the pot tent doesn't get ripped from its base. but most wind blows relatively horizontal/parallel to the surface. so fuck that. sounds like a shit show of problems. might as well build aerodynamic pvc poltunnels for less than $300 you're spending...

just to clarify the obvious (to some), 100% humidity air blowing at, say, 20mph is still 100% humidity air blowing on your plants. mold will develop shortly, and invariably,in such a situation.

case in point- my greenhouse had plentiful mold growth years ago during a prolonged rain event. added one heater since that year. result- no mold growth. why? decreased the relative humidity, on average, below 80%. the greenhouse interior temp remains 5-6 degrees or more above outside temps. this is the key; humidity is the killer unless you can increase the temp 5-6 degrees above outside temps (when the outside temps approach near-dewpoint almost nightly). covering plants does NOT change the humidity in the surrounding environ without a change in temp.

northern Cali has a fine environment for growing- but the same cannot be said elsewhere. humidity at night, this time of year- with thick buds- is a real problem for a lot of growers. don't equate "rain defense" with "mold defense," as it confuses some less-experienced growers that don't share in such a fortuitous growing climate.

have some northern Cali clones (diesel, blue dream- which would be a shit show without altered environmental conditions) in a GH right now. they show very little-to-no mold growth in the NE US, surviving the terrible humidity/temps right now because of HEAT, not the shelter in which they will finish around Oct 25th- a nearly impossible time to finish here, with respect to mold, unless you alter the growing environment considerably- i guess you would call it MOLD DEFENSE.

nomaad

Veteran
good luck with 40mph gusts and those pop tents.

add to that high winds- you think those cheap vendor tents do anything? if you remove them, they'll probably have the same amount of rot, or a very marginal reduction in mold development. not worth other, negative possible factors. wind? well, if wind is coming from greater than 45 degrees altitude, then sure, it'll save some wind damage- IF you can ensure the pot tent doesn't get ripped from its base. but most wind blows relatively horizontal/parallel to the surface. so fuck that. sounds like a shit show of problems. might as well build aerodynamic pvc poltunnels for less than $300 you're spending...

just to clarify the obvious (to some), 100% humidity air blowing at, say, 20mph is still 100% humidity air blowing on your plants. mold will develop shortly, and invariably,in such a situation.

LOL. bested 12 hours of on and off 50 mph gusts with those cheap tents. at times theythey lifted 3 feet off the ground but they never failed. tied em down with additional cables anchored on the stumps of harvested plants. worst thing that happened was on one tent, one of the canopy arches popped out on both sides and water started to collect where the canopy was not taught, mushed down the top of a Bubba Kush, but its seems to have caused no real damage. All my tops remained bone dry.

These are even cheaper than "cheap vendor tents" of the ez-up variety. It did require 3 people to efficiently put these up, so I would consider a bunch of those ez-ups for next year since they can be handled by one person in a pinch. it'd be pretty sick to make some with 6 mil greenhouse film for the canopy.

baet

looks like i wont be losing any buds to mold! even after harvesting more than half the crop in pouring rain. have 6 grocery bags of popcorn for the new sprungbags ill be receiving this friday hopefully, and im sure ill be filling more bags with popcorn after everything dries fully, and the buds are looking pretty fine!

only wish i could started a good organic fast, pulled off nutes earlier, i fed plants i think 5 days before harvest with sum EJ and molasses...

alls good though. obviously theres always room for improvements, but i think this season was a success. good luck nomaad, keep truckin

burnedout

LOL. bested 12 hours of on and off 50 mph gusts with those cheap tents. at times theythey lifted 3 feet off the ground but they never failed. tied em down with additional cables anchored on the stumps of harvested plants. worst thing that happened was on one tent, one of the canopy arches popped out on both sides and water started to collect where the canopy was not taught, mushed down the top of a Bubba Kush, but its seems to have caused no real damage. All my tops remained bone dry.

These are even cheaper than "cheap vendor tents" of the ez-up variety. It did require 3 people to efficiently put these up, so I would consider a bunch of those ez-ups for next year since they can be handled by one person in a pinch. it'd be pretty sick to make some with 6 mil greenhouse film for the canopy.

Too bad you didn't get a video of those tents in the wind, i'm sure that was something to see. Congrats on weathering the storm brother :woohoo:

stiflersmom

Here's my situation:

Went out after about 36 hours of rain to find about half of my tops horizontal and in the mud. We got dumped on almost 10 inches of rain in 48 hours so I figured they were already saturated... took the tops home and sprayed them under my hose with my thumb over it shaking as I did so. Got all the sand off but my power was out for 2 days so I couldn't blow dry the nugs or use a fan.

Basically they have been hung up for about 12-20 hours and my power just came back on. I hit them with a blow dryer and two fans for circulation. My plan is to just hit them once an hour for about 5 minutes with the blow dryer on low and just keep the circulation up. About 48 hours of total moisture before and after being cut down... think I should be in the clear from the mold?

nomaad

Veteran
no dehumidifier you could get your hands on? I would hang them in a ring around that and rotate the machine every so often. so its blowing the warm dry stuff on a different part of the ring directly. if not, the hair dryer method seems like it should eb affected.

sorry to hear you got swamped.

its still raining a bit here. i still have the tents up. all reports say that it will be over late in the afternoon. i'll believe it when I see it.

stiflersmom

Sold mine a few weeks ago to upgrade to a bigger one... ya I'm going to ask around for a temporary one. I'm hoping my hard work and good karma will keep that mold at bay!

JITAMON

Stiflersmom, I think we live in the same neighborhood? Same rainfall and pg&e out for same time. I got 3 10x20's stuffed to the max with drying colas and am looking for dry weather. I have exhaust fans and a dehumidifier up and running to get my rooms stabilized again. This storm has caused havoc for us growers :mad:

stiflersmom

Ya S. Bay, near the coast, no doubt. This is my first outdoor crop so it's a learning experience. Luckily I cut down about 30% of my tops before the storm but I had no idea winds would kick to 40 MPH... would have been who of me to cut 60%.

baet

^ oh man im kicking myself for not just harvesting day before rain. i didnt loose much bud if any at all, but lost quality and bag appeal

floater

the pot tents are quick... but so is 4 foot rebar with PVC and bamboo with 6mil painters tarp in a polytunnel setup. set one up in drenching rain, 30-40 mph regular guests during a prolonged storm due to remnants of a tropical storm in the NE.

the arch is very strong, and allows for a windtunnel/airflow. adding a heater is HUGE, as after October 1st for a lot of growers- mold remains a serious issue for many growers.

good luck all. didn't mean to be negative.

nomaad

Veteran
sorry to hear it, baet.

floter: i hear you about the tunnels. have used them her and in the tropics and wind resistance is fantastic. would have taken 2x $106 (plus tax) rolls of poly. I would have needed 40 ft of pvc every 4-6 feet for 105 ft. would have taken almost twice as long if you consider the tool I have for cutting rebar and pounding in all the rebar to a workable depth in wet ground. my point is that while being the right prescription for certain sets of variables, it is not suitable for all situations.

your input is appreciated.

Latest posts

Latest posts