What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

QWISO purge

hamstring

Veteran
Timboy

Thanks for all the help you have provided I will take a closer at the siphon pump. My boss all ways tells his boss that Hamstring needs find out on his own that he is wrong he cant be told. Its a blessing and a curse.

GW

As always you help the guys to ignorant to help themselves. Thanks

Its weird but as a over 50 dude I have fallen in love with smoking concentrates. I use my evolve pen and in my opinion its healthier and more convenient than smoking doobies or flowers for the hip crowd. My wife hates all things Mj related because of the legality of it but even she likes me smoking concentrates because its more secure less smell. Its the perfect delivery method for me anyways.

I live in a semi-large midwestern city 200K and its by in large a blue collar town and I cant get anyone to jump on board with me. I read about how popular concentrates are all the time here and other forums but my crowd doesn't get it or at least not yet.

Thanks to everyone for their input and I will continue to record my trials and tribulations along my journey into the concentrates world.

TerpChild

Ok imma throw this out there, please be gentle if it sounds stupid...
Cheap hvac pump?
The aspirator seems like waaaaaay too much work to me.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok imma throw this out there, please be gentle if it sounds stupid...
Cheap hvac pump?
The aspirator seems like waaaaaay too much work to me.

It simply screws on a water faucet, and you hook a hose to it before turning the faucet on. Waaaaay less work that you may think..........

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do check out the reviews at Amazon of vacuum aspirators for the durability/efficiency/depth of vacuum trade offs between the metal and plastic versions.

A DIY closed aspirator system, recycling the water in a tub is the price of a cheap HVAC pump, but doesn't need a cold trap when purging substantial amounts of harsh solvents like alcohol, pentane, etc. You still may want to finish the purge with a deeper vacuum, but by then you won't need the cold trap to protect your pump.

TerpChild

So will vac purging alcohol detroy my cheap hvac pump faster than butane will? I would evaporate most of the ISO or ethanol before pulling vac.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://www.bestvaluevacs.com/3cfmpump.html

"Pump Warranty Information

• Customers using solvents such as stabilization resins (MinWax™, Gator Venom™ etc.), alcohol and other polar solvents must use the vacuum pumps in conjunction with a cold trap for evacuations in excess of 5 minutes. (Excludes Cactus Juice™)
• If the consumer is using the pump for prolonged periods of time exceeding 5 minutes we require that a cold trap is used or the pump warranty is void.
• These stabilization resins have the ability to break down the internal components of the pump that are plastic resulting in a seized motor voiding all warranties.
• When evacuation exceeds 5 minutes these solvents begin to vaporize and then re-condense in the vacuum pump reservoir. Once enough solvent re-condenses in the pump displacing the oil the plastic internal components may begin to warp, melt or seize. The use of a cold trap will condense the vapors prior to making their way to the vacuum pump preventing pump damage due to excessive use. Furthermore, Minwax Wood Hardener™ is not to be used with any vacuum pumps, EVER. (A seized motor will result within the first use.)
• To prevent these issues from happening to your process, change the Oil after each vacuum pump use, Even if the use time is only 5min."

hamstring

Veteran
I ordered the micro diaphragm pump and faucet aspirator and I am sure I will need help with fittings later but they are on their way . I am going to build the water vacuum pump. Thanks again to Timboy, GW and Skyhigler for the help with this technique.

SkyHighler

I have that same vacuum pump thats in your link to BVV. How much labor and $$ would it take for me to have a cold trap vs the water vacuum pump?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So will vac purging alcohol detroy my cheap hvac pump faster than butane will? I would evaporate most of the ISO or ethanol before pulling vac.

Yes! Cold boiling dilutes the gear case oil rapidly.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I ordered the micro diaphragm pump and faucet aspirator and I am sure I will need help with fittings later but they are on their way . I am going to build the water vacuum pump. Thanks again to Timboy, GW and Skyhigler for the help with this technique.

SkyHighler

I have that same vacuum pump thats in your link to BVV. How much labor and $$ would it take for me to have a cold trap vs the water vacuum pump?

Cold traps between the pump and the product reduce performance at the product and have to be damn efficient to remove enough alcohol to not flood the pump gear box eventually.

I am pretty sure that ISO will not boil off completely until around 190F. When i make it i double-boil it off until the oil reaches 190 and the bubbles are so micro you can barely see them, and then i vac chamber it and more ISO bubbles out. If ur not getting it to 190F and/or vac purging then you are smoking ISO. Good for making RSO and edibles but not so great for making smokable oils. Get an extraction tube and some butane and try that out. Or use butane to do the thermos method. Non-polar solvents and low boiling points are the way to go for smoking oils, IMHO.
you have to vac purge bho more then you would iso imho. After a double boil for a few hours I scrape it all up and redouble-boil it - over and over until bubbles stop producing.

There is no way you could get either all the way out with out a vac purge (butane or iso)

but I feel the iso (%99) would purge better using a double boil method then butane will - I've tried both and my bho always looked like earl no matter how much I doulbe boiled - when I saw what people were doing with vac purging I knew I was doing it all wrong.
for example check out what the pros are doing now-a-days:

bho.jpg

here is what I was able to pull with a %99 iso wash - frozen using only dank bud.
I get good tasty results when I use strictly good bud (no shake/trim)
the very top pic if after one double boil the bottom pics are after a few more - you can see it eventually turned into a shatter at room temp.
I remember this tasting very good and burning very clean.
qwsio.jpg

here you can see the purge happening:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLzVMzsAbOf/

my favorite to do (because it's so easy) is to rosin press drysift.
taste very good!

love the smells and taste of extractions! I want to get better at it - thinking about buying a rosin press or a vac chamber and a better filtration system because I really like the taste and quality of iso extractions - I really think if you use good stinky dank weed it comes out tasting great! May be my favorite - I think I will up end getting a good vac chamber because I have a nice harvest coming up soon :D :biggrin:

I have made a couple QWISO runs using the thin film method. I have been able to achieve 14% yield with two washes. I am using the thin film method but would like to purge to completely remove any remaining solvent. The end result is not shatter consistency and some of it is still a little soft and oily even in the freezer overnight. I am assuming small amounts of ISO are still present.

The starting material is this years outdoor 70% popcorn 30% trim.

Although I could use GW's method of the oil bath I really want to use a vac chamber just to educate myself for future adventures.

I would like a cheap vac chamber I read the DIY vacuum chamber over at skunkpharma but was wondering if these online inexpensive vacuum chambers are ok for small 6-7 grams of QWISO.

The one below is 200 $frog skins would love some feedback.:tiphat:

RKSEN© 4CFM Vacuum 1/3HP Pump w/ consistency Chamber 3 Gallon Silicone consistency Degassing
Sorry, I know this is old and I hope you got your answer. I just want to mention that the combustion of iso is just water vapour and co2, of which is considered to be “minimally toxic” if inhaled. Reading into CO2 poisoning, it’s only ever a problem in larger quantities, so your stuff would be literally flammable, or not an issue. My point is simply not to worry about getting “all” the solvent out, it’s quite difficult with Isopropyl. Yes, it’ll technically evaporate at room temperature, but when mixed in that oil it can’t really escape. You could use a vacuum oven, just a regular oven and heat it just over 82 Celsius (~180, iso boil point) or just enjoy your sweet homemade nectar… but you probably shouldn’t cook with it unless you use food grade 198 proof. Personally, I like a nice firm shatter after tossing it in the oven for 30-90 minutes (depending on batch size)

oldmaninbc

Over the last 4- 5 years I clean out my electric cannabis grinder every few months with ISO 99%. The bottom of the grinder has this hash like material which gets dissolved into the ISO and put into a canning jar; a rich chocolate coloured extract, I don't know what to do with it. I don't smoke, I am at a loss, any suggestions?