What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

QWISO purge

Timboy5

i use this you can easily get addtional bottoms and I put the ethanol right in the pyrex and evap with a hot plate

then when you get to the point where its a solid i vac it for 4-12 hours -29 at 120

then scrape it out of the pyrex

http://www.bestvaluevacs.com/2-75qvac.html

for your best shot at shatter use 95% everclear and refrigerate it for 12-24 hours then filter any fats that coagulate out then pour into your evap dish

Timboy5

Hello all

1. Maybe its my old brain but it seems like I get more bubbling when the vac is on vs off. Why would this be because I am at full vac either way so it doesn't seem like it should matter?

I always run vac with the cheap chambers, you can argue a nice AI over doesnt need constant pulling but with these cheaper chambers I do it just to be safe

2. My next purchase will be a Buchner Funnel and a Filter flask. It sucks big balls to try and poor this through a coffee filter.
What should the pore size of my filter paper be ?

this is what I use, works great for my setup
"Eisco Labs Premium Qualitative Filter Paper, 9cm Dia., Medium Speed (85 gsm), 10μ (10 micron) Pore Size - Pack of 100"

3. I want to use the same vac that came with my BVV chamber on the filter flask is there a valve I can purchase to control the amount of vacuum I pull?
You dont want to pull solvent thru your pump. Invest in a little hand help one or a faucet aspirator or youll ruin the pump or possibly blow up
dasfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdf

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Hi Hamstring,
Try using 99% Iso if you can get it, if you you use 91% Iso you will have 9% water left
Doesn't matter for me, doesn't matter how washed it is, the iso tastes bad and causes throat issues over time.

Would have been awesome if people had never suggested ISO for cannabis.

DemonTrich

Veteran
Don't blame us for you buying the wrong type of iso. I use is onto clean my machine, purge it, and use it for edibles. Going onn4+yrs now at 4 dozen a month. Never a complaint. Cause I use the correct type of iso.

hamstring

Veteran
Timboy

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

First the water aspirator is not for me.

I have seen those hand pumps they seem very clunky to me do they really work all that well? It would be nice to have a hands free solution because you have enough going on . I cant imagine holding a strainer while pouring a jar of iso in the buchner funnel and trying to run the hand pump.

Are these my only options?

hamstring

Veteran
ok did a bunch of research online and the hand pump seems like the only affordable option.
So I need to rethink my strategy here.

I am using using a quart jar to hold the weed ( planing on 2 oz per run) and iso so I would need a 2000ml filter flask and a 2000ml buchner funnel. Otherwise I have to empty everything in a second jar then into the buchner funnel and filter flask.

I'm new at this but If I use a smaller buchner funnel it seems like wasted time and steps to have a intermediate step of putting the iso in the second jar and pouring a little into the buchner funnel then hand pump the solution through the filter. Pour some more in the funnel and hand pump. I might as well go back to a coffee filter. Thats why I brought up a vacuum pump vs hand pump then you could use a smaller buchner funnel.

How are other doing this?

Timboy5

ok did a bunch of research online and the hand pump seems like the only affordable option.
So I need to rethink my strategy here.

I am using using a quart jar to hold the weed ( planing on 2 oz per run) and iso so I would need a 2000ml filter flask and a 2000ml buchner funnel. Otherwise I have to empty everything in a second jar then into the buchner funnel and filter flask.

I'm new at this but If I use a smaller buchner funnel it seems like wasted time and steps to have a intermediate step of putting the iso in the second jar and pouring a little into the buchner funnel then hand pump the solution through the filter. Pour some more in the funnel and hand pump. I might as well go back to a coffee filter. Thats why I brought up a vacuum pump vs hand pump then you could use a smaller buchner funnel.

How are other doing this?
tFtDg6K.png

Thats my set up

I have not used the hand pump I use the water aspirator but it cost me 25$ in adapters to get it to hook up to my kitchen sink... heh

I would try it it seems simple and cheap enough.

check this listing out - very cheap and the glass is decent
You may need a larger size for collection vessel maybe 2000ml, you could always just filter 1000 at a time and do it twice would not be too difficult.

1000ml setup
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000ml-Suct...097611?hash=item4d1d8a7f4b:g:9oAAAOSw0kNXhFqv

2000ml setup
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000ml-Glas...506067?hash=item35d6c511d3:g:-30AAOSw9mFWGy6h

Coffee filters will work but theyre large so theyll wick more ethanol in turn wicking more hash

Timboy5

So im just gonna post how I would do it just so you can get an idea

I would take the 2 zips of nug and put them in a metal pan, I have a 2 quart stock pan I use that has a pouring spout on it.

I would then pour in 95% ethanol (190 proof everclear) until the ethanol level sits around half inch over the tops of the nug. I just want to make sure I am using plenty but nut too much

Then I use an untreated wooden dowel thats about 1.5" thick and smash the nugs and ethanol solution for about 1 to 2 minutes trying to obliterated and crush and smash and mix all that I can. I then use a wire wisk to mix it as well as I can for one additional minute as a last attempt to make sure all particulates have been touched by the ethanol.

Then I take a second metal pot as big or bigger as the first one. And kind of line it with a brand new painter terry cloth those work well easy to find at home depot. I carefully pour the ethanol into the cloth that is sitting inside the second pot. Have a friend help it will be easier but I do it solo. I lift it up and strain it and squeeze the hell out of it until I cant save any more and it stops dripping.

So now you should have a strained dark ethanol mixture. You can put this in quart jars then put it in your freezer for at least 24 hours to precipitate out impurities.

Run this through your buchner setup slowly while keeping it as cold as you can, you do not want those impurities to redissolve into warm ethanol. Take your time with this step theres no rush. Once it is thru the filter it doesnt matter if it gets warm because its been filtered.

After all the chilled ethanol is filtered you can now evaporate it. Do this outside absolutely positively no flames I use a lab hot plate, ethanol boils at 160 you can boil it off or do it lower and it will take longer.

Once all the ethanol is out you can throw it in your vac. I would vac it at 100-120 for 4-12 hours.

You can experiment with factors to make it more like shatter, my goal is not shatter but to get as much yield as possible so my method may pull a little extra that will make it less like shatter.

Last edited:

hamstring

Veteran
Timboy
Just wanted to say thanks I just ordered a 2000ml filter flask and a 1000-ml funnel and the hand pump for about 140 frog skins. I will tell you how the hand pumps works.

Sounds like you have the same funnel so I am assuming the filter you use will fit perfectly ?? (Eisco Labs Premium Qualitative Filter Paper, 9cm Dia., Medium Speed (85 gsm), 10μ (10 micron) Pore Size ) -

Side note: Why does lab glass pricing vary so much? Is the quality of the glass really so different?

Timboy5

Timboy
Just wanted to say thanks I just ordered a 2000ml filter flask and a 1000-ml funnel and the hand pump for about 140 frog skins. I will tell you how the hand pumps works.

Sounds like you have the same funnel so I am assuming the filter you use will fit perfectly ?? (Eisco Labs Premium Qualitative Filter Paper, 9cm Dia., Medium Speed (85 gsm), 10μ (10 micron) Pore Size ) -

Side note: Why does lab glass pricing vary so much? Is the quality of the glass really so different?
My funnel is 350ml and 90mm / 9cm so you just gotta see what size your is should say in description.

And lab glass is borosilicate glass they add boron to make it more resistant to thermal shock and breaking.
China glass is usually pretty good keep an eye out for flaws or bubbles I have never seen any but this weakens glass.

hamstring

Veteran
My funnel is 350ml and 90mm / 9cm so you just gotta see what size your is should say in description.

And lab glass is borosilicate glass they add boron to make it more resistant to thermal shock and breaking.
China glass is usually pretty good keep an eye out for flaws or bubbles I have never seen any but this weakens glass.

Thanks ,yeah it was a big shock to see the delivery could be over a month we will see though. The hand pump showed up right away and now the wait for the glass coming out of China.

hamstring

Veteran
Hello all
My new toy just arrived 2000ml filter flask and 1000ml funnel. I am ignorant in lab glass and when I ordered the funnel I was unaware that in stead of holes it has something like a porous stone and I have no idea if it will let the concentrate pass through it.

When I poured some Iso in it it wouldn't drip through until through until I used the hand help vacuum pump. It looks like it will be hell to keep this stone clean. Will it let the concentrate pass through?

hamstring

Veteran
Timboy

Hey brother thanks for all the help. The filters I purchased were to small in diameter I need a 4.5 inch or 11.43 cm diameter but as soon as I get the right ones I will give this baby a run and give some feedback.

Thanks again

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can stick a coffee filter on top of your filter paper, holds the paper down, and pre-filters the solution.

hamstring

Veteran
You can stick a coffee filter on top of your filter paper, holds the paper down, and pre-filters the solution.

SkyHighLer
You just can not get this kind of advice anywhere else except personal experience.

Thanks brother and good idea I will use it.

TerpChild

I am pretty sure that ISO will not boil off completely until around 190F. When i make it i double-boil it off until the oil reaches 190 and the bubbles are so micro you can barely see them, and then i vac chamber it and more ISO bubbles out. If ur not getting it to 190F and/or vac purging then you are smoking ISO. Good for making RSO and edibles but not so great for making smokable oils. Get an extraction tube and some butane and try that out. Or use butane to do the thermos method. Non-polar solvents and low boiling points are the way to go for smoking oils, IMHO.

Timboy5

I am pretty sure that ISO will not boil off completely until around 190F. When i make it i double-boil it off until the oil reaches 190 and the bubbles are so micro you can barely see them, and then i vac chamber it and more ISO bubbles out. If ur not getting it to 190F and/or vac purging then you are smoking ISO. Good for making RSO and edibles but not so great for making smokable oils. Get an extraction tube and some butane and try that out. Or use butane to do the thermos method. Non-polar solvents and low boiling points are the way to go for smoking oils, IMHO.

Ethanol will boil at *90f under full vacuum

i use 150f to boil it off slowly into the open air (outside) then i reduce to 120f for a long purge full vac
All temps with IR thermometer