What's new

Questions Regarding "Free" Materials from Boutique

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
i've only read the first page, but i'm gonna go ahead and respond anyway.....

The freebies are intended to be given away to start others growing, at least thats how I've always understood it. It may be true that this rarely happens, but it's still the intent.

There are many good freebies that make it out. You just have to order at the right time. What about nycdfan042's WW IX II freebies or whoever sent in the blockhead f2's some time ago? I don't think many could question the quality and value there.

I don't see a huge problem with giving away the o haze skunk or thunk beans at all. Sure, germination ratios might not be the best, but it's pretty obvious that at least a few growers have managed to pop the beans and experience growing out sativas that they might not have otherwise grown.

Grunt

I am totally satisfied with my freebies. They didn't cost a penny! I'm getting great results from Sam's Or.Hx Sk#1. If only one popps and it helps me, then I'm happy. I hope you guys never stop including freebies. Most all of us truly appreciate them. Dont let the few whiners blow it for everyone else. Grunt

Incidentally, that 10 post per day thing is murder on a long conversation.

Low expectations lead to a degeneration of standards. All i'm asking is that basic standards for all seeds, including free ones, be maintained. If the materials are of low to no viability, they shouldn't be given away, or should be marked as to their condition so that people who actually want to grow medicine don't waste time, effort, & resources trying to coax life from stunted or sterile seeds. Is that really so much to ask?

I don't think it is.

Also, I can't read the entire second page of this thread, I get an error every time I try to load it, anyone else?

Last edited:

GDK

High Class Grass
Veteran
DogBoy said:
Allow me a moment to clarify a few points if i may.

1) The freebies are not given out to be kept by you. They are given so that someone you know can have a chance to grow something out before making an order. Even if that order is not with a Gypsy company, the point is simply to increase the number of people who have it available to them. If you are keeping them then maybe you should consider the real purpose they are given away. If they only get 1 to germ that's still a free plant. It's about getting new people involved, not about sweetening orders so people come back. You claim that you give away a load of free food every night, how would you feel if you put all that effort in and one night a tramp came by and complained that your tomatoe sauce was not the top of the range and he felt cheated? Would you feel that was a fair comment?

2) Germination is a tricky issue. Yes, not all the freebie seeds have 100% germination. Gypsy has never claimed that they do, coupled with the fact that everyone also gets different results you can see why people get from 0-100% germination on the freebies. as stated in the FAQ, seeds are a live product, you might not get 100% out of them. Why do you think there are variations in the germ rates for ALL strains? Can you honestly say that you have bought any pack of seeds from any plant and always got 100% germination. Even cress seeds which are reknowned for their easy germination wont germ at 100% all the time.

3) choices. There have, over the years, been over 10 types of freebies given away for free. The old staples are Sams strains but there have also been many other strains. Gypsy has spent thousands of his own money getting these in to give away. He takes the time and trouble to make these available at no charge but there is always someone at some stage who wants to complain about them. It's happened to every strain he has given away and when you look into their claim it always boils down to the same thing. You want to get something you can keep for themself and they only want it if it has 100% germination. this is totally contrary to the real purpose the seeds are given out. Does this make Gypsy a bad person?

4) Gypsy has always said that if you are not happy with the freebie you can request not to receive some. If you really do feel they are not up to scratch or there is some hidden motive behind them then mark your orders so you dont get them. It's that simple.

5) Sam's seeds. The staple freebie over the years have been sam the skunkman strains. these seem to be the seeds most complained about due to the length of time we have offered them. Gypsy has never said that they are 100% perfect germers and has always maintained that they are simply very good plants when grown out. do you really think that either of them would give away seeds if the germ rate was 0%? Have you ever taken the time to check the threads done on these strains. I myself grew them out about 5 years ago and documented the growth. Could i have done that with 0% viability seeds? There have been many people who have really benefitted from the Sam freebies. I know of hundreds who have used them to ensure their rooms are dialed in before risking seeds they have bought, there are people who have used them as simply a free way to make themselves some product to save money. Their uses are infinate but yet you choose to devalue them because they dont hit your high criteria for seeds?

On a personal note, i am always surprised when i read these threads. I have always been bought up to never look a gift horse in the mouth and i'm fascinated that a free gift can cause such a furore. Just because it does not fit one persons criteria fully does that make it a bad thing. What about all the people who have had good results. You can see from the people who have posted here that some of the people who have had them are really grateful and have managed to grasp the purpose for which they are given. I think it's really telling when people show their hands in these threads.

My final question to you is this. How would you feel if your complaint was the one that pushed Gypsy to the point where he withdrew the freebie? Do you really believe what you have written in the face of this post? . . . . .

WORD!!!

Stay Safe

N

Nostromo

Until now, I have tried to germinate 2 Skunk # 1 and 1 South African Durpan Poison x Skunk #1 with no luck. On the other hand, I germinated with success one Godbud x Dreamweaver (3 weeks to go on the flowering stage) and one Gypsy's Gum (4 weeks to go). Oh, I forgot: one Mexican Sativa never germed and had a beautiful Blockhead male.

Last edited:
There is supposed to be a certain level of honesty, and professionalism. Sending out bunk materials without marking them, essentially trying to pass them off as viable seeds, is both dishonest, and unprofessional.

I have quoted Gypsy's front page many times in this thread, so I have no idea why so many people think they're calling me for not giving seeds away, you guys really need to read entire posts, not just skim my posts & trash me, I do what was intended to be done with the free seeds, I either give away the seed or start the plants & give away the clones, & when none of them work, no one is happy, me or my patients.

well i actually read your entire post and i have the exact same thing to say. NOBODY PROMISED 100% GERM RATES. you seem to be the only person having problems with "every freebie" so maby it's your germ method that's the problem and not the seeds.

see...here's where the problem comes in. hundreds of other people have grown the EXACT same seeds out, with zero problems. you grow them out and consider them "bunk". maby you should look at your techniques and make sure it's not a problem with a "bunk" grower, and not actually "bunk" seeds.

"the same"?

The only positive freebie stories come from people who spent large enough ammounts of money to receive seeds from the viable box, not from people who got the standby Skunkman seeds, which seem to have been stored in an attic, not a freezer.

I haven't heard a positive response on Skunk#1 freebies in years.

There were 0 positive responses to DPxSk#1.

If they're still giving away these seeds, they should be clearly marked as low-viability, just like any honest breeder would do, like Wally did for his C99 low strikes.

Last edited:
The only positive freebie stories come from people who spent large enough ammounts of money to receive seeds from the viable box, not from people who got the standby Skunkman seeds, which seem to have been stored in an attic, not a freezer

the last two freebies i got were sam's gear. one i got with a $20 order and the other was with a $300 order. out of the first pack, i got 5/10 that germed with 4 females. the second pack, i got 6/10 to germ with three females. it would seem to me, that you are the problem and not the seeds. maby you should read through a few threads about how to germ older seeds and you may have better luck. it's been stated before (a number of times actually) that the reason these were FREE was that there may have been slight germing problems. nobody sold you these seeds. it's not like somebody twisted your arm into buying them, THEY WERE FREE. i almost want to refund your zero dollars back so you will quit complaining.

oldpink

Un - Retired,
Administrator
Veteran
knowing the history of the seeds and having germ tested quite a few of them I've had good results in germ rates
from the Skunk 1 and DP x Skunk, I do know that they are germ tested (I've did a few different batches
and if they have a poor bad rate they will NOT be sent out as freebies

and no there isn't a "Good and Bad" bin like you suggest
but I do know a lot of good growers that for many different reasons screw up seeds in the germ stage

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
SonOfPierrot said:
Incidentally, that 10 post per day thing is murder on a long conversation.

or murder on a thread full of bitching about something that's free.......

really........just go merge your thread with the other one's whining about low quality freebies or freebies that aren't the best beans ever. I think by the time I was 5 years old I learned not to complain about free stuff. If you don't like it, give it to someone who will or leave it by the curb.

these threads should be locked as soon as they're started IMHO

but I do know a lot of good growers that for many different reasons screw up seeds in the germ stage

DING DING DING... i think we have a winner!

amoS

SonOfPierrot said:
"the same"?

The only positive freebie stories come from people who spent large enough ammounts of money to receive seeds from the viable box, not from people who got the standby Skunkman seeds, which seem to have been stored in an attic, not a freezer.

I haven't heard a positive response on Skunk#1 freebies in years.

There were 0 positive responses to DPxSk#1.

If they're still giving away these seeds, they should be clearly marked as low-viability, just like any honest breeder would do, like Wally did for his C99 low strikes.

Hi SOP, I don't know if this is the kind of info you're looking for but in June 2008 I ordered a pack of Green Goddess seeds from Seedbay that were very cheap and as freebies I got Sam the Skunkman's Orignial T haze x Skunk #1. I don't have anyone else around me that grows so I started a couple of them for myself, I did not pre-soak them in water or use the paper towel method , I just started them straight in the soil as I do most of my seed's and this is what I have so far...

Good luck to all on the freebies you get... Peace

I've germinated literally tens of thousands of seeds successfully, I do my own crosses and my own breeding work, but if i'm just some n00b, i'm just some n00b :jerkit:

Also, lost, the freebies come in 5 packs, not 10 packs, especially with an order as low as $20, so maybe you didn't remember correctly, or maybe we've got a :kissass: on our hands.

Pink, if you actually had the freebie version of DPxSK1 finish, you would be the only person i've ever heard of that managed it.

Amos > Were the "originalhazexsk1" & "Originalthaihazexsk1" the same material?

Last edited:
Also, lost, the freebies come in 5 packs, not 10 packs, especially with an order as low as $20, so maybe you didn't remember correctly, or maybe we've got a on our hands.

HAHA...actually you are right about one thing. i forgot when we ran em, we ran two packs of each that we had from previous orders. i was proving the point that it doesn't matter how much you spend on seeds, the freebies are pretty much random. the results were still the EXACT same. more than 50% germ rate for seeds i payed NOTHING for. once again...maby you should check your techniques. nobody called you a n00b till you acted like one...just some food for thought.

If you want to keep kissing ass dishonestly, that's your business, but I have a serious intention & a genuine concern here.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I want to know just how many seeds you have donated to the cause, SonOfPierrot?
And if that count is zero, then who are you to question this thing?
Seedbay isn't buying up stock to give out as free schwag...they are giving out donated materials. You do get that part, yes?
IMO, when you invest time and effort into improving the freebie stock shelf, then you may have a leg to stand on when it comes to the quality of the products.
But even then, your bitch would be with the providers of the bogus seeds, and not with SB.

About every week or so another will come around and boost their post count up by bitching about seed prices or bad germ rates, when they are poor growers, and cheapskates to boot.
Sorry, but I gotta calls em as I sees em.

amoS

And some pictures of my free othaze x s#1 as of today

and the third seed I started last week turned out to be quite a mutant

I still have 2 seeds left that I will consider to be viable as well

Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts