What's new

Questions Regarding "Free" Materials from Boutique

Status
Not open for further replies.

luciano28

Im pretty sure the reason Sam gave them to Gypsy as freebies was because they didnt have good germ rates. Or else he would be selling them. Same with the recent Wallyduck C99 freebies. If you havent seen good reports on the thunk, you arent looking hard enough, there are more than 5(freezerboy, evgeni malkin, don cotyle, murphy, etc, etc.).Ive seen good reports on the Oh X sk 1 too. I germed one bean that turned out male. Only seed I tried germing.

They are free for a reason, you think they are gonna give out Sam's connesieur quality for free if there wasnt a problem with them?

Another reason you dont see many reports on Sam's stuff is the flowering times on the thunk and OH X SK1

I just dont see how anyone can complain about something they recieve for free

luciano28 said:
Im pretty sure the reason Sam gave them to Gypsy as freebies was because they didnt have good germ rates. Or else he would be selling them. Same with the recent Wallyduck C99 freebies. If you havent seen good reports on the thunk, you arent looking hard enough, there are more than 5(freezerboy, evgeni malkin, don cotyle, murphy, etc, etc.).Ive seen good reports on the Oh X sk 1 too. I germed one bean that turned out male. Only seed I tried germing.

They are free for a reason, you think they are gonna give out Sam's connesieur quality for free if there wasnt a problem with them?

Another reason you dont see many reports on Sam's stuff is the flowering times on the thunk and OH X SK1

I just dont see how anyone can complain about something they recieve for free

And this is what people always say. You didn't bother to read my entire post, you just replied after reading the first few lines.

As I said, if I walked about handing rotting food to the homeless, they'd no doubt choke it down, but it wouldn't do them much good, now would it?

Free things shouldn't be given away if they don't do what they're intended to do.

"All orders will be accompanied by a 'Freebie' pack of seeds....These seeds are given to you free of charge on one condition....What you must do with these 'freebie' seeds is to share them with someone else who might grow them so joining us in the ever growing growing community worldwide..

How are we supposed to share seeds that don't grow? How am I supposed to help people with medicine that never even made it from seed?

monkey5

Veteran
SonOfPierrot, I got some Durban poison X Skunk#1 by Sam The Skunkman Freebies from Gypsy and Dutchgrown ... gave them to someone disabled/new to growing ... got them growing and the just before that one plant , almost finnished was taken/stolen from him!! But, that pack of freebies seeds (10) seeds gave 3 plants. one was male ,one was hermi... leaving only one female plant from very old seeds !! Was a very fast sativa killer looking plant with a very nice/up/feel great kinda high from a few early samples we enjoyed !! That is all i can tell you !! My friend did not know they were very old seeds !! Hope this helps you !! I have another pack of those freebies and will help someone else learn to grow with these if i get the chance to do it !! Wait longer than you would with these seeds , when you germ them...!! Thank You ,Gypsy and DutchGrown for the chance to help that friend out and make him smile , he can not afford to buy his meds , he is on a fixed income !! Some thief got very high on his stolen meds !! monkey5

Last edited:
Ok, we have 1 semi-positive response in which 3 of 10 seeds germed, producing 1 viable female. This seems to be about the most anyone ever gets out of the freebies.

Honestly, what is the point to giving away something that doesn't perform with any real comparison to viable stock?

Central / South America are each full of random commercial & landrace varieties that have been grown for many generations with completely open pollination conditions which has resulted in lanky scary outdoor Sativas that would make infinitely better freebies than the ones given away by Gypsy.

I regularly receive better results experimenting with bag seeds than with the free ones from Gypsy.

Is it so much to ask that Gypsy's free seeds be at least as viable as seeds I pulled from a bag of commercially distributed medicine?

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
I dunno Son of P.....I did read your entire post and whereas it does contain some positive thoughts about Gypsy and DG...and the boo.....the overall tone of it is a bit negative. The seeds came with no guarantee....just an intent for you to share them if they work out. I consistently hear that people are receiving pretty much the same freebies: like that Mazar thing.....
I don't believe that the good peeps at the boo are holding back good seeds only for those big spenders...the big spenders want to grow the gear they purchased...I'm sure they're psyched about freebies but it can't be their priority.

So I don't want to bash you, and I'm not gonna. But you've gotta put it into perspective on something "free". Gypsy and DG could easily NOT send anything free and still be a rock solid distributor with great pricing and excellent service.

As far as "handing rotting food to the homeless, they'd no doubt choke it down, but it wouldn't do them much good, now would it".....I think that's a bit harsh. Did you know that there are plenty of service companies that do in fact take food that is destined for the garbage...surplus food that would otherwise be thrown out...and they distribute it to shelters, churches and other places that can prepare food for those in need? What would otherwise be "rotting" wasted resources has been used in an altruistic way to help those homeless.

Even if the free seeds received were distributed with the same mindset and intent...that would be a great thing. However, these beans are not "throwaways" and are truly a gift disregardless of the way they turn out in the end.

Of course it's your prerogative to assert something is not to your liking...

luciano28

And this is what people always say. You didn't bother to read my entire post, you just replied after reading the first few lines.

Yup you busted me, didnt need to read it, same ole " I dont like this product I didnt even pay for" thread. You could of saved yourself some typing and just said Im pissed my freebies never germ.

As I said, if I walked about handing rotting food to the homeless, they'd no doubt choke it down, but it wouldn't do them much good, now would it?

Dont really think thats a valid comparison, the seeds will germ as its been documented by the many grow threads with at least a seedling in them.

Free things shouldn't be given away if they don't do what they're intended to do.

What do you intend them to do? You been unlucky and havent had good germ rates, try a different germing method. Like straight in soil.

How are we supposed to share seeds that don't grow? How am I supposed to help people with medicine that never even made it from seed?

Well I cant give mine away either, but if I knew someone that wanted them I would. Im never gonna grow thunk, I have 4 (5) packs of them, but I cant bring myself to throw them away either, someone will come around that will give them a shot. I hope. No one pm me, Im not gonna mail them to you. Not because I dont want to give them to you, but because Im not mailing illegal things to people I dont even know.

But like I said, the seeds work, its obvious by the amount of people on this website that have grown them. If you know someone that grows weed, give them to them, tell them they might be hard to germ but if you get a plant, you gonna have some killer if you got the patience and space.

People always say what I said, because I think thats what most people think. You got them for free, how much money are you out of if they dont "work". 3 sheets of paper towels? A rapid rooter plug per seed that you can just put a good seed in.

If you want the good freebies, the way to get them is pay out your ass for shipping your payment(this is only Seedbay I think), then you get 2 freebies and usually a good one from what I have seen. I dont think there is a conspiracy to give good freebies to certain people and shit to others.

Lean Green

Operating Outside the Law
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I gave the S A Durban x Sk#1 to a friend who grew them outside, he loved them. I have grown a few freebies myself . If you want better freebies then make a batch and send them in.

monkey5

Veteran
Son , all i can say is my results... was ready to harvest before october and killer sativa for sure !! And that one plant was better than anything i can find to buy right now !! I see some of what you are saying , believe me !! But my friend would love to grow them again !! My thinking is that , that seed line was worked by Sam The Skunkman/selection done by Sam= even one plant was" Kind ", that is all i know!! My friend was happy... I do not see him smile about much ,but he was really stocked to have that one plant !! just my 2 cents... monkey5

accessndx said:
I dunno Son of P.....I did read your entire post and whereas it does contain some positive thoughts about Gypsy and DG...and the boo.....the overall tone of it is a bit negative. The seeds came with no guarantee....just an intent for you to share them if they work out. I consistently hear that people are receiving pretty much the same freebies: like that Mazar thing.....
I don't believe that the good peeps at the boo are holding back good seeds only for those big spenders...the big spenders want to grow the gear they purchased...I'm sure they're psyched about freebies but it can't be their priority.

So I don't want to bash you, and I'm not gonna. But you've gotta put it into perspective on something "free". Gypsy and DG could easily NOT send anything free and still be a rock solid distributor with great pricing and excellent service.

As far as "handing rotting food to the homeless, they'd no doubt choke it down, but it wouldn't do them much good, now would it".....I think that's a bit harsh. Did you know that there are plenty of service companies that do in fact take food that is destined for the garbage...surplus food that would otherwise be thrown out...and they distribute it to shelters, churches and other places that can prepare food for those in need? What would otherwise be "rotting" wasted resources has been used in an altruistic way to help those homeless.

Even if the free seeds received were distributed with the same mindset and intent...that would be a great thing. However, these beans are not "throwaways" and are truly a gift disregardless of the way they turn out in the end.

Of course it's your prerogative to assert something is not to your liking...
I work in a restaurant that gives away leftovers to the banks, and we go through higher safety standards than we do for food on the line to ensure nothing reaches those people that could possibly be spoiled. Every night I gather these leftovers, seal them in individual packages, heat them to a proven safe temperature, then rapidly cool them & freeze them for transit. All that for food that is destined for a shelter or soup kitchen, and it's all done at 0 cost, we don't ask to be reimbursed for packaging materials or even transit when they can't pick it up on time and we have to drop things at their storage facility for them.

If I can do all that, every night, I think maybe Gypsy & Sam can get together & chuck out the bad seeds, don't you?

If we gave away bad food, it would reflect badly on us. How does giving away bad seeds not reflect badly on Sam & Gypsy?

I also apologize if I sounded overly negative, I have always supported Gypsy & Sam, i've referred literally 100s of patients over the years to buy their seeds here, and this is the only issue which I have cared to voice at them.

However, the point is still valid. There is no point, none, in giving away seeds that have less viability than those which come out of a bag of medicine. If I germinate 10 bag seeds, and 10 freebies, i'd be very unlucky to have only 1 bag seed germinate, but I would be very lucky if just 1 of my freebies actually germinates. There's no positive Karma in futility, only frustration.

Last edited:

whyme2

Just my thoughts:
The freebies are advertised as an incentive to order from the bay/boutique. Therefore they are more than "just freebies". If I choose to place an order, because of the freebies, and the freebies are not reliable (like the DP X Skunk), then that reflects on the business. Having said this, my last order was 3 packs of 10 seeds (plus my freebies). Germ rates 9 of 10, 1 of 10, 4 of 7 (3 still to go), and 0 of the freebies. I can assure you, I will not buy them same brand/strain that only 1 of 10 germed. I will certainly order from the Bay again. I will hope too get better freebies than before. I will NOT place an order expecting 'good' freebies, but I certainly will hope for better.

S_a_H

Autoflower Crusader
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In a small way I agree here. Why bother to give me FREE junk even though its FREE junk. Why do you want to waste my time and resources on giving me FREE junk.

But on the otherhand all you need to do is watch the freebies thread and wait and then ask for a certain freebie.

If I was giving FREE seeds to a friend I would give them something worth their time and effort. Instead of something that may not do anything and have them think they cannot grow.

S_a_H

luciano28

whyme2 said:
Just my thoughts:
I will NOT place an order expecting 'good' freebies, but I certainly will hope for better.

Yeah thats the way I think of it too, I buy off Gypsy because I trust him, not the freebie he is giving away. I wanna buy a certain strain so I place an order, the freebies are a bonus and my expectations arent high because I dont plan my crop by what freebie I get.

Peeps' expectations are too high on the freebies I think. Thats just my opinion, everyone is free to have their own and I respect Son of a P's, I think his thinking is flawed, but I respect his opinion.

This is the kind of experience I would think Gypsy & Sam would want to avoid. If negative results take place, time and time again, the flavor of failure will eventually make even the medicine we paid for taste bitter.

I'll flat out ask it, how is it Gypsy, that you think giving away unviable seeds is helping your reputation? WallyDucky gave away free C99 seeds with a very low strike rate, but he informed us before he ever started to give them away, "These have a low strike rate, which is why I can't sell them in good conscience, I hope you obtain something special". All of the free seeds i've received were all marked "Sam the Skunkman's Cultivator's Choice", the same brand name Sam sells his seeds under, how often are Sam's seeds being given a bad name because of these freebies?
whyme2 said:
Just my thoughts:
The freebies are advertised as an incentive to order from the bay/boutique. Therefore they are more than "just freebies". If I choose to place an order, because of the freebies, and the freebies are not reliable (like the DP X Skunk), then that reflects on the business. Having said this, my last order was 3 packs of 10 seeds (plus my freebies). Germ rates 9 of 10, 1 of 10, 4 of 7 (3 still to go), and 0 of the freebies. I can assure you, I will not buy them same brand/strain that only 1 of 10 germed. I will certainly order from the Bay again. I will hope too get better freebies than before. I will NOT place an order expecting 'good' freebies, but I certainly will hope for better.

B

bottletoke

If the seeds you purchased germinated, i dont see what the problem is.

mrbiggs

ICMag Donor
Lean Green said:
I gave the S A Durban x Sk#1 to a friend who grew them outside, he loved them. I have grown a few freebies myself . If you want better freebies then make a batch and send them in.

you said it lean green you dont like them make your own and send them

I've done this, more than once, when I do seed runs I don't put a big jar of seeds in the freezer, I count out a few hundred of each for myself and then start making packages. I give them away at medical dispensaries, I give them away to friends, I mail them to patients who ask me over the internet, I hand them out at medical cannabis events.

I don't need freebies, I don't depend on them, and my life & death will not be determined by whether or not they germinate, but what was the point in giving them to me at all if none of them were going to turn out? There is no point, and the low-viability seeds should be tossed or at least labeled as "Low-Strike". How is giving away garbage considered an act of generousity?
mrbiggs said:
you said it lean green you dont like them make your own and send them

green_grow

Veteran
if you intend to keep score ...
my o'haze x skunk got 0% germination;
my menage a trois got 100% germination and is one of my favourite plants.

S

Syndicate

Wow -I know you say you are well aware of the "they are free" arguement but c'mon man seriously...they are a gift.

Germing seeds takes very little time and space, if something comes out of it...great if not-so what they were free after all.

I've received plenty of gifts from friends and family over the years that I couldn't use or didn't really particuarly like, but I was never ungrateful for them because the gift was given with good intentions.

People complain about freebie seeds all the time and I don't know how Gypsy and all those involved put up with it quite honestly.I'm sure it's threads like this that make them think about forgoing the freebies entirely and that would be very sad indeed.

Think of these seeds as a gift from a friend (which they are) and be grateful that they were included at no cost at all.

Syndicate said:
Wow -I know you say you are well aware of the "they are free" arguement but c'mon man seriously...they are a gift.

Germing seeds takes very little time and space, if something comes out of it...great if not-so what they were free after all.

I've received plenty of gifts from friends and family over the years that I couldn't use or didn't really particuarly like, but I was never ungrateful for them because the gift was given with good intentions.

People complain about freebie seeds all the time and I don't know how Gypsy and all those involved put up with it quite honestly.I'm sure it's threads like this that make them think about forgoing the freebies entirely and that would be very sad indeed.

Think of these seeds as a gift from a friend (which they are) and be grateful that they were included at no cost at all.
Every gift has an intended purpose, even if it is just to remind us of the person who gave it to us. Gypsy says, himself, on his website:

Gypsy said:
All orders will be accompanied by a 'Freebie' pack of seeds....These seeds are given to you free of charge on one condition....What you must do with these 'freebie' seeds is to share them with someone else who might grow them so joining us in the ever growing growing community worldwide.

Giving away seeds that don't germinate to someone is not going to encourage them to grow their own medicine, if anything such a huge initial failure (if my first seeds hadn't germed, or grown at all, I don't know if i'd be growing today) it's going to convince them growing is too hard, and not worth the time & effort of buying packs of 10 seeds at a time to get 1 female plant.

Giving away freebies that don't work is a bad example of the wares you hope to sell. If computer companies gave away trial versions of their programs that didn't function at all, no one would buy the damn thing who downloaded the trial, the same idea applies here.

Yaatsie

Stop bitching about free seeds. Personally, I'd rather get some old crappy free seeds than none at all! I see we disagree there. I don't think less of his seed company for having the goodwill to include something he just had laying around and couldn't use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts