What's new

Questions for Sam the Skunkman on Hindu Kush Indicas

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Mriko,
I think the main reason that growers don't list where the seeds were from is because they have no idea other then a general area, like Afghanistan.
There are maybe 1,000,000 growers+ how many have gone to Cannabis producing countries and collected seeds from farmers not just the market place and then gone on to grow them and offer them to others? Very very few.

-SamS

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sam that sorta sounds like a big "I dont know"...which I'd agree and I'd still love to hear any info on the Topic..Hindu Kush and its Origins mainly..Even a educated guess is worth it bro..other wise were just blowing hot air and digging thru the lines which is a very mundane practice considering the Breeders could help who lay claim to the Docs/notes we question..
FOE20

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
FOE20,

No, it is not a big "I don't know" it is a big they don't know. I personally collected seeds around the world and have endeavored to obtain seeds directly from farmers in most cases. Or at least the nearest towns name if the seeds were not from the farmer. In some case I can say which side of which mountain or the altitude. Anyway I think we all agree that it would be wonderful if seed collectors had GPS and listed the collection points or at least a city nearby. I wish I had them back in the 70's, but I think they have been in use by civilians for a little more then a decade.
Regardless, I have detailed info of my seed collection trips, including latitudes, longitudes, altitudes, as well as local environmental info. But to be honest it is a mute subject as very few breeders travel and collect seeds anyway.

-SamS

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thats a excellent answer brah and I appreciate your input no matter the view..It makes me feel better to know that you were defending your work by not going into detail on your own travels/stock beside the base things you have spoke on..
Thats totally commendable to me but damnit man you know Plants..and to the point, Canna plants very well and if theres any thing that any of us has posted that related to genno/pheno type that may be worth the mention than please for all of our sakes just say it..heheh..but is always casual and thanx again masta Sam and I grew up on your Skunk and the Hindu I speak on so I def feel like its worth the efforts to try..
It would be nice at some point to establish regions that carry less Potent phenos so its more clear what regions varieties to avoid when were looking for the Strongest MED quality phenos no matter region or no#'s..its all good tho..
FOE20

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I remember seeing Quicksilver many times pre-Dino and to be honest I liked them much better. The first time I saw the Dino/Quicksilver I was tripping with a friend in the BOEL at the San Bernardino Civic in Feb 1971 and almost fell on the floor when they started to play... it was not my Quicksilver band or music. They had released the new album with Dino singing the month before. I did get used to them, I do like "take another hit of fresh aire", now.
But I think I still prefer the original, with songs like "Pride of Man", still makes me tingle when I hear it. Also Quicksilver Messenger Service was the name of the Marijuana delivery service the boys ran, they always had cheap Mex by the Lb and would deliver to anyone they knew in SF that called them. Wish I kept the card with the phone number. Long time ago...Family Dog down at the beach.... The Shrine Auditorium downtown LA, and the Cheetah out at the beach in Santa Monica....

-SamS

Last edited:
T

terran2

Oh God ,
Pride of Man,
Broken in the Dust
Again...& again .

It was exciting times to recognize how stupidly we truely behave , glad to have brought some tingles which to hearing a few bars of the Pride of Man, i will always feel my life long ...then even nihilists & anarchists had 'idealism" of a kind . We all believed in love , for what fool doesn't attempt that folly in those early stages of one's adolescence ? Or for the rest of our lives to catch the magic of ... the tortoise expecting to fly.

But love was all there is & was ...& all the forgotten unforgotten kindnesses ...and God broken in the dust again . You have class & know only our struggle to be humble might give us a glimpse or two in the end of that "wonder of it all " . Just to slow the whole thing down and take the decibels a few notches lower we might catch just the quickest view of what we race thru & hardly even begin to experience the smallest part of ...life .

My strain of choice ?

will always be the hazes babe , ya dont need much
with that fruit & spice & everything nice ..Family Dog , ocean beach ?
...a long time ago sailing along together in those free nights .

Egality , Fraternity & what was the other one ?
We had that covered too ...at least at the time we imagined we did .

best regards

;o)

t2

she's getting ripe , be well sam ...
ssh1odsmallyf4.jpg

Last edited:

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There was piss-weed colombian that throttled & sat on the market for 7yrs or more & the first of the OD growers up in Nor Cal centered around the G-ville area & the angels throughout cali started doing their thing in a little big way . There was thai stick & the occasional Oaxca or Michuocan that made it thru that was different but lets not get ahead of ourselves & ever say that even the best of that weed was ever selling for more than $500/$1000lb ....more like $350 at best brother . A little later it might have sold for a whopping $500-$700 lb if not pressed .lol
lol...now this is a familiar story if I ever knew one...Terran2 and it wasn't a good Catpiss smell either..heheh..and even today lbs of dirt goes for what?...if you think $400+ than you might wana check your friends..heh.
really starting to sound like a who knew who thing more than a who knows what...
FOE20

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey Mriko i did end finding the info in the Indica LR thread..
I stared a few Hindu, some landrace and have cuts of some said pure kushes..Im curious what shows..
I do have soem pure Uzbeki?..but still need to define what that could be..you guys post in different topics and it gets tricky..heh..
FOE20

Mriko Heres some of mine...from Yarkhun valley, Pakistan Hindu Kush, purple Pheno
Yarkhun valley again, giant & late flowering pheno (Mid-late november)
From Laspur Valley, Pakistan Hindu Raj (Hindu Kush extension)
Landrace from Baytik Shan, Western Mongolia

Last edited:

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hmm...Mriko...actually I thought we'd gone into all this before on the ole burg...but its wasn't you but you had commented in the thread...you recall this one?...Now the thing is I will find what Im lookin for cause I know exactly what it is..My only other hope is in pure form..not from a hybrid of a hybrid..
also Sam it may interest you also sir but you prob saw the thread in the past.....anyway doesn't seem of much interest and has moved elsewhere..be well gentz
the Real Deal Mountain Kush
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=45423&page=10&pp=15
FOE20

smokaholik:salaaam foe and u know wat its great to hear another who understands the taste incense spice thing cuz u said it exactly lol, and about the purple phenos from the montians there still around and gettign betetr and betetr in fact my frineds have some new varieties i broaght back being tested and these where prurple in the wild so we wil see how they react and on the mazar cut all i can say is u got to keep ure special ladies cuz if these ever went me friends wud be devastated life just aint the same anyway thanx for coming and passing thru foe and plz do more often my l;ovely friend

Last edited:

VirginHarvester

Veteran
I'm going to ask on this thread because it seems like a good place to find a lot of Kush knowledge.

I'm looking for a nice smoke that's not devastating couch lock but gives off a nice feeling of comfort and peace. Is Kush that type?

Even when I smoke sativa I eventually end up feeling kind of peaceful and euphoric but have to go through the heart racing paranoid up high for a couple hours before I get there. I'm looking for something that starts out peaceful and happy. Does Kush fit that?

So who out there has a pretty decent Kush strain at a good price?

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
VirginH to me yes its very like that...You can harvest or aim for a earlier window to keep the Effect less Sedative..so their usually 7-9wks by variety so 7wk 50/50 or 100% cloudy for a more Up effect..8-9wks 50/50amb/cloudy and you get sedated..enjoy
FOE20

MOneYMiKe

Patriot Father 2a Defender /Breeder
Veteran
heya sam,was wondering what u thought of this.......these were gifted by a fam. member....she said these were at least 20 yrs. old.......thanks in advanced sam......

relic1981

Veteran
2 of my keeper strains are master kush and nepalese purple kush. the latter i dont have much info on but its definatly a real kush, short stocky plants with chunky super chrystally purple buds that scream KUSH. mmm, mmm, mmm

if anyone, sam, knows about the nepalese p.k. please enlighten me.

relic

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
Sorry, had to comment but only halfway through the thread, I'll just cut and paste this post from my growthread:

Hey, yknow...I've been reading some of the SamSkunkman stickies (I have his Thunk for next year - I doubt I can finish it, but I'd like to impregnate a lady with something) and he makes a very valid point about the somewhat stagnant state of the gene pool for the last 20 years or so.
I think he called it "Simple re-shuffling", and it struck a chord. I think I might use some contacts here and see if I can find some true wild landrace seeds.
I've had a couple of people (even a breeder on the 'bay) ask me if I could source some Japanese landraces...and I think I might make the effort over the next few months, seeing as its harvest time soon.
I've smoked some (I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that I got gifted with a shoebox full of supposed landrace Hokkaido weed from a pretty reliable oldschool local stoner) and I even germed the seeds! Unfortunately I didn't get to finish them. I stashed about 50 seeds somewhere and promptly forgot where I put them. This was a couple of house-moves and a few years ago. I'll see what I can do, anyway.
We'll see.

Sorry but the mushrooms and kratom are kicking in

uh huh herer

Wow, very interesting read. I haven't made it through all 26 pages but I made it more than half way already and do intend to read the remainder this evening. Alot of very good, accurate information!! I learned a ton of stuff too!!

BTW the photos of the plants in this post are fantastic!!
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=1497653&postcount=8
Some very unique looking buds, nice pinks and purples with almost alien looking calyxes!!

E

elmanito

Sam_Skunkman said:
Bluebeard,
Yes many people like Od Ed had Indica hybrids that turned out to be not maintainable by seeds, they are all gone now, except as part of a hybrid. Big Sur Holyweed did not have Indica blood at least not in the 60's and 70's when I lived very close to Big Sur. It was Sativas. The best was Original Haze lines or hybrids.
While finding seeds in hash pieces is great it is not the best foundation for an IBL. Or did they get numerous seeds of the same variety, both male and female? Without the numbers there is no selection, not a good start.
The bottom line is that sure there were Indica seeds around before me, but mine were dependable year after year, the others were not. I know because I got every Dutch Indica seed varieties sold I could find in the early 80's and grew them all, and most were a waste of my time, to be honest. I am not saying there were no good plants, but the seed lines were not consistant at all, and most plants were crap.

-SamS

SamS
Is the strain Viking a dutch made hybrid or is it from the seed of Old Ed (R.I.P. 2007) itself and do you know perhaps the genetics.It is said that the strain is a full indica but i have doubts about it.
Which strains do you mean that were crap not worth of trying?Just be honest!

To test a male plant for THC profile is it not simple to test it with TLC so to take cuttings of the best males you have and than taking samples for the THC-profile instead of smoking it.:muahaha:
I know that GC/MS is the most accurate but the cannabinoid standards are under control of the DEA and second off all it is to very expensive to analyse with this method.TLC is now used in the Netherlands

You mentioned earlier about the Yunnan strains that what you did grow was more for rope than for delightment.Is it not that certain factors can influence the cannabinoid profile, like soil type, specific nutrients like Fe or Mg, UV-B light etc.You grew the Yunnan strains in a glass greenhouse.From glasswindows it is known that it blocks UV-light.Is it not possible when a strain has Bd/Bt allele to make a strong strain with a high THC-content?

Peace

El manito

A male Yunnan strain

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
The Chinese Yunnan Indica(prob. not all indica) that I got from Dubi at Ace Seeds is a very branchy uniform strain. My plants are around 4" tall and very branchy with many bud sites. It may turn out to be one of the better yielders in my garden. The Sheberghan is now 4 weeks in flower and has 2 major phenos. One is 5'2" tall and 24" wide, with wide internodal space. The other pheno is about 40" tall and 9-10" wide, with many very short side branches. The Mazar is not a happy plant growing inside. Both the Mazar and Sheberghan are narrow leaf strains and look nothing like the broad leaved Kushes. The Mazar is having multiple problems, probably PH lockouts, and will not yield well. Neither the Mazar or Sheberghan cloned well, but the Yunnan was one of the first to develop roots. The Yunnan seems to be good for stress/anxiety and works well for minor pain. I look forward to harvesting and sampling the 2 Afghans. My thanks go out to Mriko,Ngakpa and Dubi for their kindness.

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
I hope the chinese and others are doing fine Pops, :smile:

i hope you can find the medical CBD pheno you are looking for. In my experience yunnan has good potential as an anti anxiety plant. You still can find different chemotypes in the lines and of course different quality between the females, line it's only in its 2nd generation, but sure you can find interesting parental plants to work with, there's lot of potential in the chinese line, especially when you find a good one and outcross her to sativas.

Good luck and please keep us updated with progresses! dubi

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
elmanito said:
El manito

A male Yunnan strain

Good day manito,

Im very curious about your yunnan line, please can you share more details about her origins, aromas, effect and quality?

Looks quite similar in leaf trait and structure in the first month of life to the chinese line i've working for past years.