What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
THC degrades over time doesn't matter where it came from. There are ways to slow down that process. In the end, what you started with will be lower the older it gets.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Something else changes for the better then. I have seen many many accounts of people curing sativa pot and saying its way better after 6 months to a year cure. Too many accounts for it to be made up I'd say.

TheDarkStorm

Its how you cure it as well....the thc off a live plant may register at what ever number...but im sure it properly activates after curin to give more of the type of efect we are after....iv noticed things like vacum sealing and then puting it some were that can be quite warm...but in a place that has some rapid canges in temperatures changes it completely to another level....ovcorse if not done right it will degrade

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Its easy to perceive it as better when it tastes better(less harsh/smooth) If any are interested there's plenty to read about this. As I stated even when stored properly THC will still degrades over time.

It also effects terpenes. Heat, Light and O2 kills Terps.

Last edited:

Limeygreen

Veteran
I find fresh plants/harvest the high is shorter, but can be more rushy to start and less complex then cured for 3 to 6 months (sallies only don't really do much of the fat ladies) I find the good effects early on in smoke 2-4 weeks cured usually increase their strength, complexity, flavours and duration after being cured but mediocre plants never seem to get better than mediocre.

That said I have friends who love kush and they swear it's only good for the first 1-3 months in the jar then a lot of the varieties degrade rapidly.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I've noticed the famous sweet skunk clone, it was mainly sativa for sure, and the extracts of it, and extracting from it, can be nice even months after harvest. Of all the kushes I have seen bubba kush has the shortest shelf life before major changes happen. Proper airtight storage may cure it well, but typically kushes and indica stuff is best extracted right away, and a few weeks later the extract is much darker and less tasty. Bubba Kush was a scant two weeks before major differences were apparent.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Its easy to perceive it as better when it tastes better(less harsh/smooth)

It's got nothing to do with smoothness.

Believe what you will, but there are many experienced growers who know something different. If you haven't the experience, assumptions usually creates asses :D

There was another guy recently claiming that some weed was stronger than haze, because the thc percentage tested higher. Completely ignorant.

B

Benny106

I find fresh plants/harvest the high is shorter, but can be more rushy to start and less complex then cured for 3 to 6 months (sallies only don't really do much of the fat ladies) I find the good effects early on in smoke 2-4 weeks cured usually increase their strength, complexity, flavours and duration after being cured but mediocre plants never seem to get better than mediocre.

That said I have friends who love kush and they swear it's only good for the first 1-3 months in the jar then a lot of the varieties degrade rapidly.

I agree some things have a shorter shelf life, but i will continue to sit on my sallys while i smoke my kushes.:yummy:

Hammerhead maybe its not about the thc, maybe its about the fermentation?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm not trying to make anyone believe anything. THC and Terpenes will degrade over time. It's just basic science. There's plenty of data to read on this. The info isn't coming from me. I'm just posting what I've read. I think we all have experimented with short vs long cures. I prefer a short 30 day or less cures. Never found any I liked longer. If any like it longer I see nothing wrong with our own perspectives.

B

Benny106

I agree with you, but some shit gets better with age then drops off to nothing like everything else. If you can achieve the same simply by flowering the plant for a year i dont know.

bushed

Yes it seems strange to me that the internet consensus is that cured weed is the best.

Although considering the amount of misinformation that has been and gone since I've been here it isn't really surprising. Got a problem with your plants just add cal/mag should fix it??

For me sticky weed gives the most intense buzz, after a week or so it mellows out and then coninues to mellow.

I am however growing golden tiger my first full sativa outdoor this year, looks like I'm going to have plenty to play with, so happy to change my mind after sampling some after a long cure.

B

Benny106

Its not that all weed is best at a year, but the real thin ones even at a full month from harvest are not as good as 3months. But a terpy sour or kush type or perhaps mono terp dominant, is brown and sleepy after a cure with a boring hashy taste at best.

Maybe its because the numbers are so small, a cure is concentrating what is there, maybe we dont know what is there? After all we just found a type of thc that wasnt even tested for until recently.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Curing i thought was removing any moisture that is left in the flowers after drying .

I never found flowers stronger 6 months or a year later once they cured that was there optimum time if stored well they last till next harvest the next year.

B

Benny106

But did they get you high when you first harvest though? I view it like resting a good steak.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Well yes but all your doing is removing what moisture is left in the flowers and they will shrink a lot more from the point of drying and dry flower to end of cure.

Could be why people think its stronger as you need less to get the same high.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Isn’t it said that the long cure is better craze was started by a guy who wanted to sell last year’s stash?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Isn’t it said that the long cure is better craze was started by a guy who wanted to sell last year’s stash?

From what Ive read long cures started long ago to help make bad crops taste better. It was never intended to be done with quality cannabis.