What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question about cloning

Lexort420

its called root or die ...easy to tell after a few weeks...keep medium moist not overly wet ,,,,keep it warm with steady temps,,,,keep humidity high,,,,keep light level low...yeehaw......clones don't live too long without roots unless in refrigerator.....then they last a month or so... I generally see lower leaves start to yellow a bit and plant stretch some...I hate peat pucks they suck ass!!!!!!!!..perlite rules over any cheap medium I have used.. and I tried em all just about .......unless there is something new and overhyped...home depot has big bags like 16 $$$$ last average guy long time......perlite is just about foolproof and has perfect structure for fast root development......holds moisture but has airspace ,,,,almost impossible to over water in right container,,, but doesn't dry out fast ...cant beat that!!!!!!!!...I wish you a high success rate man ..good luck/

Now that I think about I do still have a big bag of perlite. How do you use that for cloning tho?

Ok so don't mist the clones only keep the pellets moist right

Yah man, I took some clones and was misting them daily. After half a month they still didn't root. Then they ran out of juice using up all their stored energy and died. Did some reading on this forum, and found a tip in a random post by somebody not to mist. The new ones rooted and were out the dome in a week. When you mist, just spray the dome interior but not the plant directly. :tiphat:

Betterhaff

Veteran
I root in promix, keep them bagged and moist, under fluorescent lights. After a few days I will leave them out of the bags (dome) for a while…sometimes they wilt a bit, not much rooting yet, and sometimes they don’t wilt, starting to root. If they wilt, mist the bag and replace to get the humidity up.

If you’re in a medium where you can’t see roots, giving a gentle upward tug on the clone can help determine if roots are there. If there’s some resistance they are rooting but you have to be very gentle with this.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
yeehaw..sterilite trays from Walmart..top one is off in pic as clones rooted..floro full spectrum light from Walmart like 11$ x2.... 17 watt each....seedling heat mat in tray hooked to controller with probe in center cup as mats tend to be hottest there.....I also have 4 ft mats and several trays I can upscale or downscale tray by tray..solo 16 0z cups with perlite and holes in side near bottom ,,,,as bottom holes sometimes seal shut and don't drain I have found..fool proof and can be setup anywhere.. I made the light stand out of a cheap clothes rack stand found by a dumpster...free... I lost the stand now but got all my cloning shit ,,well most of it..

Just pick up the clones by the stem, very lightly, and if the rockwool or whatever you're using goes with it, it's rooted. If it starts to slide out even a milimeter, let it go and try the test again in 2 days.

Lexort420

I'm using jiffy peat pellets and ill be honest I'm really hesitant to mess with the clones at all I really really don't want to kill them I really like the plant they came from and want to save the genes

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=51779&pictureid=1469585
...solo 16 0z cups with perlite and holes in side near bottom ,,,,as bottom holes sometimes seal shut and don't drain I have found...

To make the holes in the bottom of plastic cups, I use a soldering iron. Using the side of the tip on the hot end piece, the iron is pushed into the bottom edge of the cup creating a hole which extends a bit into the bottom of the cup and up the side a bit. This allows bottom watering, but with the cup sitting in a shallow layer of water, the opening extends high enough that it allows air exchange. Wipe the hot iron tip on a rag after doing each cup to clean off the molten plastic.

Lexort420

Thank you all for your replies you have all given me alot to think about and also try sum different methods if this doesn't work out. I enjoy coming to this forum and soaking up all the knowledge and wisdom that you all have to offer. Even before I joined this forum I had always been reading and learning everything I could on here. It's a privilege to be here amongst so many great growers. Thanks again and take it easy all.

Latest posts

Latest posts