What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary Purple Satellite x Big Sur Holy Weed coco grow

drosera420

Premium user
July 3rd update, Gen Hydro 4 micro / 9 bloom / 5 calimagic / gallon. RO well water comes to about 6.2 pH so I adjust down to 6.0 or 6.1 with pH down. Rain water works best for me but it's been so dry my collection barrels are empty. Now I just try to run out my small RO storage tank a couple times a day, still a manual process but good enough.

Plants filling in well for only 19 days @ 12/12. The actual start from 18 hours to 12 hours was over about 10 day period prior to the June 13th end point. Could the Nepali have influenced the start of flowering ? Nothing in the way of male sacs to be found on these ladies.

#2 stretching is slowing down
ps x bshw 2.4 7-3.jpg ps x bshw 2.5 7-3.jpg

#3 is catching up after a slow start, stretch coming on a bit. Buds still a little flatter on top so far.

ps x bshw 3.3 7-3.jpg ps x bshw 3.4 7-3.jpg

#5 and #6 filling in nicely. I decided to forego the bracing, they are sturdy and spaced enough out that neither should need any support till later. Then I'll tie up to ceiling if required.
ps x bshw 5.3 7-3.jpg ps x bshw 5 4 7-3.jpg

ps x bshw 6.3 7-3.jpg
ps x bshw 6.4 7-3.jpg

drosera420

Premium user
Like to say thanks to Vermontman for working these genetics. Even if some came from other growers upstream, still takes time, effort, space and a good selection eye. My grows here are for the wifes med use and state plant count limit is 5, period. I'll not push the limit as I have no reason to nor a desire to find an outlet if any surplus arises. Like now she's still working on some Thai stick (MSNL) from 2020 I had vacuum sealed in ball jars. It was a half assed attempt that turned out ok despite not knowing enough and having come down at 11 weeks as botrytis started in. It actually got better after an 18 month cure. More importantly I learned alot and now can control VPD and humidity.

My point here with all the rambling is for some of us genetics plays a big part in selecting the few plants I can grow. If it turns out bad then I'm off to the dispensary an hour away to buy shwag from big canna. I drive by a grow op every day on the way to work and know there is not a good sativa growing in that building because it's not profitable enough for the greedy mothers. Business is business though can't blame them for that.

I do appreciate the efforts put into maintaining your line Vermontman. The wife does too for that matter, Purp Sat is her go to favorite of the few on hand. I'm betting one of these PS x BSHW will be too.

vermontman

Like to say thanks to Vermontman for working these genetics. Even if some came from other growers upstream, still takes time, effort, space and a good selection eye. My grows here are for the wifes med use and state plant count limit is 5, period. I'll not push the limit as I have no reason to nor a desire to find an outlet if any surplus arises. Like now she's still working on some Thai stick (MSNL) from 2020 I had vacuum sealed in ball jars. It was a half assed attempt that turned out ok despite not knowing enough and having come down at 11 weeks as botrytis started in. It actually got better after an 18 month cure. More importantly I learned alot and now can control VPD and humidity.

My point here with all the rambling is for some of us genetics plays a big part in selecting the few plants I can grow. If it turns out bad then I'm off to the dispensary an hour away to buy shwag from big canna. I drive by a grow op every day on the way to work and know there is not a good sativa growing in that building because it's not profitable enough for the greedy mothers. Business is business though can't blame them for that.

I do appreciate the efforts put into maintaining your line Vermontman. The wife does too for that matter, Purp Sat is her go to favorite of the few on hand. I'm betting one of these PS x BSHW will be too.
Wow nice compliment! And you are most welcome.
I am pleased your wife has something she can use and always great to hear positive reviews.
Oh and Thank you!

drosera420

Premium user
Sat July 9 progress, temps holding 76-77 F day and night. Considering turning off oil filled heater at night in a week or so to let ambient basement air @64 F to be drawn in during humidity controlled fan exhaust. This would drop the VPD some at night and provide a better day/night differential. Humidity control is set at 64% constant so it cycles on and off pulling in basement set humdity levels of 60%.

Added mosquito dunks in pantyhose to 5 gal nutrtient reservoir. More of the little buggers (fungus gnats) sticking around to the yellow cards. Diatomatious earth spread on to of pots does help alot I believe. The pots never dry out with around 2 L a day split across a good morning shot 1.5 L and late afternoon .5 L drink. Gonna have the gnats no matter what you do with coco, just control the numbers.

Decreasing micro more each week.

Left side #5 and #6 top filling in. 5 has a little nute burn but nothing too bad.
left side tent.jpg

Right side #3, Purp. Sat., and #2 top.
right side tent.jpg

A shot with tape measure to give better size comparison. #3 there is around 26" give or take. All plants were pinched leaving 6 -8 nodes if I recall correctly. Tent is 5x5 Mars
tape measure.jpg

drosera420

Premium user
Did a little figuring and determined my notes could be better. Timing wise I figure around June 1st they would have been @15 hours light which would put us 6 weeks into flower. That seems more in alignment than 4 weeks. Going down gradually rather than a hard flip to 12/12 just seemed like a smarter thing to do given the sensitivity of PS (parent) to indoor photoperiod growing.

A few shots of the buds on 7/13.

PS X BSHW 2 flw @ 6wk from 15hr .jpg

PS X BSHW 3 flw @ 6wk from 15hr .jpg

PS X BSHW 5 flw @ 6wk from 15hr .jpg

PS X BSHW 6 flw @ 6wk from 15hr .jpg

drosera420

Premium user
8-2 update just about there. Seemed to have cut back on micro too soon here along with fungus gnat population growth yellowed up things quicker than I'd like. Did a flush with 4 TBS mosquito bits/gallon, 4.5 ml/ gal GH bloom and southern ag fungicide (bacillus, not chemical based). That hopefully cleans up varmits and contains any root issues for the last couple weeks. Timing on these depends on where you want to start counting. As of today it's 10 weeks from 17 hr flip, 9.5 from 16, 9 from 15 hours and so on. Tops are a bit close to the lights and might be a bit intense for them ? Still figuring out my sativa strategy for the tent. Winter grows and summer grows are different with basement AC or furnace running. Latest pics.

Trichomes just starting to turn cloudy, sample branch from #2 drying. Got a bit handsy bending it to get the loupe in position to check it. Oops :)

PS X BSHW 8-2 #2.jpg

PS X BSHW 8-2 #3.jpg

PS X BSHW 8-2 #5.jpg

PS X BSHW 8-2 #6.jpg

Group

# 2, PS late addition, #3
PS X BSHW 8-2 #'s 3 &2.jpg

#5 and #6
PS X BSHW 8-2 #'S 5 &6.jpg

drosera420

Premium user
Realizing just today my carpal tunnel release surgery earlier this week was timed poorly. Trim jail around the corner will either be physical therapy or a test to endurance. Really there is not alot to trim looking at the 4 plants.

LostINgreen

Starting my first grow diary with some info. PS x BSHW seeds donated by Vermontman for an auction by MallardDuck.

Indoors in coco/perilite under LEDs.

Planted in 6pack on 4-20, once the seeds sprouted.

Potted up into gallon rootmakers around 5-7 till I can sex them.

LEDs are from budget led (now elevated lighting co) series 2+ full spec.

Feeding GH 6ml micro/9ml bloom with about 5 ml calimagic gallon. pH around 6.0

Hand watering 1 -2 x a day till run through +.

The first week after poting up I added 5ml/gal of southern ag / garden friendly fungicide since the coco was reused and there were some old roots still in the mix after soaking and flushing it out in rainwater.

Now some pics
hi, very nice grow. I think of going to Led, would you advice me some cheap LED that beat good 250w hps?I have heat issues, but dont possess a big amount of money.
thank you in advance.

LostINgreen

hi, very nice grow. I think of going to Led, would you advice me some cheap LED that beat good 250w hps?I have heat issues, but dont possess a big amount of money.
thank you in advance.
I use 250w and dont observe anything similar to your growth, 2 months veg now..

Attachments

• 20220803_234006.jpg
    20220803_234006.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48

drosera420

Premium user
I hope they look similar. Those buds are magnificent. How would you rate the difficulty of growing them?
They took a bit of finess compared to my previous experience with a wedding cake or white widow. Nothing terribly out of line with any other coco grow I expect. Kept up with feeding every watering and lots of light. About 500 W with dimmers total in the 5x5 tent.

drosera420

Premium user
chopped # 3 and #6 today

PS X BSHW #6 8-13-22 .jpg
PS X BSHW #6 8-13-22 2.jpg
PS X BSHW #6 8-13-22 3.jpg
PS X BSHW #6 8-13-22.jpg

ps x bshw #3 8-13-22.jpg

ps x bshw #3 8-13-22 2.jpg

PS X BSHW #3 sug leaf underside.jpg

this last one is the underside of the #3 hanging branch, more trichomes on bottom of leaves. Others didn't seem to have as many on the underside.

Last edited:

drosera420

Premium user
All 4 of these ladies threw some lower balls in the last weeks. Did not notice anything till I hung them up and saw a few here and there.

An early smoke report for #2 is pretty cerebral. About a 2 week hang dry on that after breaking it while checking trich color.