What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Purple Haze x Malawi

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Here's my first attempt from seed. I have grown some monsters in my little closet under the stairs before so I think I will manage OK even though going from clone would be the wiser route I am sure. :)

It should be a freaking blast in about a month or two with Punto Rojo, Pangi, Honduras x Panama, Purple Honduras Haze and Panama x Malawi duking it out for the highest areas. Meanwhile Red Sapphire and Orient Express as well as a runty Zamaldelica in the low seats in the back. And if Mauritius x Ethiopia sprouts I'm gonna be in a super deep shit. That's a good trouble though, hehehe....

Cactus Wes

Purple haze x Malawi

Purple haze x Malawi

What a monster! She literally kicked out the other three plants I had in there. And she kept growing well after 9 weeks, when I thought she was done she grew another 2 inches. I harvested over a pound and I collected a ton of crystals in my trim bin over and over. The taste of the malawi is very prominent. I smoked big joints to catch subtle hints of the purple haze through the woody malawi flavour.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

ULMW

:biggrin:Respect for the photos Cactus Wes. Giving her a whold space to grow and bloom is really the way to go. Lovely result. Well done..:trampoline:

Cactus Wes

:biggrin:Respect for the photos Cactus Wes. Giving her a whold space to grow and bloom is really the way to go. Lovely result. Well done..:trampoline:

Thanks
I try to give my plants the better part of a square meter but this girl wanted the whole 5x5 at seven weeks.
She demanded all that space. I'm glad I was able to make arrangements for the other three girls.

Next time though, I'm going to go easy on the nutes cause I fried all the fan leafs half way through flower.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Cactus Wes,

Purple Haze x Malawi was not included in ACE Mix so must be another strain.
Could you post closer pics of the flowers under natural light and describe its terpene profile ?

Cactus Wes

Hi Cactus Wes,

Purple Haze x Malawi was not included in ACE Mix so must be another strain.
Could you post closer pics of the flowers under natural light and describe its terpene profile ?

Hi Dubi,
Pleased to meet you.
This Beast came out of a pack of Purple Haze x Malawi Standard and so far has been my biggest yielding plant of 2020. Thankfully I discarded the other seedling that I sprouted with it because that one plant made me shut down my veg area to accommodate my 3 other flowering cultivars.
The terpene profile was woody, I thought I messed up, I wasn't expecting that to be the taste. That harvest ran up to the summer solstice so my tent was higher in the temps nearing the end and I probably evaporated apart of the terp spectrum. I found my self smoking big joints to get other flavors to come through the woody incense dominance.
I definitely want to grow it again but next time instead of jar or bag curing when you run out of jars; I'd try Malawi Cob Curing.
The 'Malawi style cob curing' thread by Tangwena is the perfect place to start for anyone who has ever been interested or for anyone who is looking for another way to cure Cannabis.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
That looks killer, mine did not have quite as of a nice bag appeal as those buds.
How many weeks did you stick it out for?

Well, Cactus...this was a monster outdoor plant that was about 13-14 weeks from first pistils to harvest, so I’d say flowering was on the longer end of dubi’s recommendations. 15 weeks or so.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
My girl is going much better than I thought she would. My soil mix this winter was a tad rich on the N and I have had some minor clawing on several plants. No trouble with PH x M though, nor on Zamaldelica which surprised me. My PH x M isn't stretching all that much either but she has turned into a dense bush with many flower sites. Not much aroma yet, but I did get some faint coffee like whiffs this morning. I have smelled coffee aromas in indica's a few times before but never Sativa's. So this girl is full of surprises so far....pics shortly.

Last edited:

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
This is just a beast of a bush so far. This is a fem from seed, with one topping early on, no other training. Cob LEDS. Very dense growth and side branches are shooting up all throughout the plant. So far I have only given it water because as I mentioned above my mix is a bit rich this winter, but she has taken it fine so far. I will probably give her a little BioBloom and molasses soon though. I think we are at about week 7 right now. I am still at 12/12 and seems OK at the moment.

Not much in the way of aromas so far as I said...could not detect any coffee this afternoon so maybe I was picking up smells from something else earlier.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
This is just a beast of a bush so far. This is a fem from seed, with one topping early on, no other training. Cob LEDS. Very dense growth and side branches are shooting up all throughout the plant. So far I have only given it water because as I mentioned above my mix is a bit rich this winter, but she has taken it fine so far. I will probably give her a little BioBloom and molasses soon though. I think we are at about week 7 right now. I am still at 12/12 and seems OK at the moment.
Not much in the way of aromas so far as I said...could not detect any coffee this afternoon so maybe I was picking up smells from something else earlier.

View Image
Whats going on here? I do not recall ever seeing branching like this. Is it just that particular plant or typical of the strain?

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Yeah, I was expecting jungle vine, but this thing is branching like crazy and staying quite well behaved. I'm starting to think this one might be worth saving some cuttings.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Yeah, I was expecting jungle vine, but this thing is branching like crazy and staying quite well behaved. I'm starting to think this one might be worth saving some cuttings.
I'd take cuts asap.. never know when you have the gem in hand.
I'm also fond of the ODD plant/trait. Plus it looks so outer limits.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
I'm starting to run out of room and have a couple of other Sativa's going that might take priority for cuts such as Panama Haze, purple Honduras Haze and Mauritius x Ethiopia. But yeah, the structure here has me intrigued.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I'm starting to run out of room and have a couple of other Sativa's going that might take priority for cuts such as Panama Haze, purple Honduras Haze and Mauritius x Ethiopia. But yeah, the structure here has me intrigued.

Thats allot of paying attention..:tiphat:. take fewer cuts per plant and if they dont root for a particular plant blame it on the cannabis gods and run the ones that did root and you already know if you want to run them again.. not to mention those seeds that 'you realy want to run too':dance013: It's good to know I'm not alone.:wave: