What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Purple Haze x Malawi

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Apologies for the three weeks absence. Been busy with other projects and new love interest. Funny how human females make you neglect your plant females. I probably should have been doing a bit more with feedings, but I was noticing brown tips where a few weeks back there were none. Likely should have been a bit more focus on P and K.

picture.php

Definitely a lot of yellowing off, but still plenty of light green fans close to the buds.

picture.php

I’m honestly not sure if she will go into December, so would appreciate your advice, dubi. More feedings or let her ride?

picture.php

I would like to see some bud and trichome swell but it seems like she could be done by months end.

picture.php

We are still pretty warm 30c down to 10 in evenings.

picture.php

I’ve noticed a few brown buds, probably due to a few caterpillars followed by localized botrytis. Crispy, not mushy. This plant wasn’t nearly as effected as the others. I think because it was so far behind in flower, the moths layer eggs elsewhere for the most part.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
The smells are as expected. The OTH spice with a bit of the woods and oil from the Malawi. There is a distinct dark fruit liquor that is a pure tip to the purple OTH influence.

picture.php

Large but very airy buds. Again hoping the last few weeks will beef her up a bit.

picture.php

picture.php

Very happy with her so far...but I’d likely not keep her and look to dig into the genetics as I still have a handful of seeds.

picture.php

Thanks dubi and Ace for this lovely lady!

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Looking good Ur Humbl Nr8tor :yes: I would let her ripe for 2-3 weeks more If weather and other reasons allow it.

Thanks dubi. That’s the plan. At least through months end. Right now, we are dry and relatively warm for at least the next week.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Sorry for the night photos. I’ll get some day shots tomorrow. We are almost at the three week ripening period suggested by dubi, and he is of course spot on. I have to look in more detail tomorrow to decide if I chop or extend for another week. I may decide to take a partial harvest and let the rest go for another 7 days. That makes some sense.

picture.php

Almost 4 meters. The weather has really been superb and I trust she could easily go on. We are dealing with some significant Santa Ana’s, but temps have been great.

picture.php

Straight water and sun for the past three weeks. A lot of fans are going bye, but the airy flowers are alive and well.

picture.php

The resin output has increased significantly and I’ll be interested to take a close look tomorrow in order to decide what the final steps look like. Pure bliss!!!

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
A remarkable if not slightly sad day as the last outdoor plant of 2020 got chopped.

picture.php

I think by resin quality (mostly milky with a few ambers), she could have gone a few more days...but the plant has just run out of steam and I noticed a few smaller buds crisping up. She gave all she had.

picture.php

picture.php

I edited last nights post as she definitely does have some purple hues. Had I grown her closer to the coast and with cooler temps, these would have likely been more pronounced.

picture.php

Great late swelling of the ovaries and nice heavy yield of delicious trichomes.

picture.php

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
picture.php

This is the largest plant I’ve ever grown. She’s wispy, so likely won’t yield quite what the SSSDH did, but there are going to be some very happy sativa lovers in my neck of the woods.

picture.php

picture.php

The smells are divine. Hazey spice, leather and wood with an unmistakable dark fruit liquor scent.

picture.php

picture.php

F2F

Awesome finish UHN. Dubi Gabe some great advice, can see those calyxes swelled considerably in a couple pics vs a few weeks back. Enjoy!

Peace
F2F

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Awesome finish UHN. Dubi Gabe some great advice, can see those calyxes swelled considerably in a couple pics vs a few weeks back. Enjoy!

Peace
F2F

Thanks F2F! Yes, he absolutely did. Significant calyx swell as well resin increases.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Glad to see you managed to bring your Purple Haze x Malawi big lady til the very end Ur Humbl Nr8tor :)

Very nice resin production of big trichomes in the last weeks. Curious to know your opinion about how Purple Haze x Malawi does compare with Purple Haze x Thai. Happy harvest! :tiphat:

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Been wanting to try this one for ages. I finally scored some seeds a while back and now seems like as good of a time as any to give it a shot. Although, reading through this thread I see what I'm up against, hehe...My plan is to keep her in this tiny pot in the flower room for a few weeks and get some stretch out of her system, and then up pot around 4 weeks or so in. I'm just looking for a taste, not yield. Sound reasonable?

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Been wanting to try this one for ages. I finally scored some seeds a while back and now seems like as good of a time as any to give it a shot. Although, reading through this thread I see what I'm up against, hehe...My plan is to keep her in this tiny pot in the flower room for a few weeks and get some stretch out of her system, and then up pot around 4 weeks or so in. I'm just looking for a taste, not yield. Sound reasonable?
View Image

In this thread, there is some talk of 'small' potting 'issues'.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=367463

I've grown a couple sativa in the past, never did good.
They never stopped producing more flowers. They ran out of space and I ran out of patients.

Good luck with your potting experiment.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Thanks so much for the pointer Snook, great info.

OK, maybe I will just keep her here for a couple of weeks and then up pot, but leave her in the flower room the whole time. I wasn't planning on taking cuttings from this one, and I have grown several stretchy sativas to maturity from seed before, so between topping, training, etc. I can probably keep her going.

I will definitely consider changing my light schedule from 12/12 though...this one does look to be extra jungle viney. I've had three in the past that really took a long time and gave me a run for my money including Bhodi's AGold, Ethiopia x Malawi and Honduras x Panama. I ran all of those from seed on 12/12 schedule and did manage to get them to finish, although the AG could have gone on forever. I'm thinking 11/13 this winter if I'm trying to get them to finish in a timely manner.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Glad to see you managed to bring your Purple Haze x Malawi big lady til the very end Ur Humbl Nr8tor :)

Very nice resin production of big trichomes in the last weeks. Curious to know your opinion about how Purple Haze x Malawi does compare with Purple Haze x Thai. Happy harvest! :tiphat:

She’s strong, dubi. All I’ve had is one toke of her uncured...and she’s multi hours strong. She produced at the end just like you promised. Extreme rotten fruit/berry liquor. My guitar bud came down and the aroma blew his mind. Way more intense aroma than the x w Thai. We love the green and purple OTH x Thai. The ladies as well. I’ll let you know how the Malawi brings it, but first blush tells me it’s going to be for real!

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Thanks so much for the pointer Snook, great info.

OK, maybe I will just keep her here for a couple of weeks and then up pot, but leave her in the flower room the whole time. I wasn't planning on taking cuttings from this one, and I have grown several stretchy sativas to maturity from seed before, so between topping, training, etc. I can probably keep her going.

I will definitely consider changing my light schedule from 12/12 though...this one does look to be extra jungle viney. I've had three in the past that really took a long time and gave me a run for my money including Bhodi's AGold, Ethiopia x Malawi and Honduras x Panama. I ran all of those from seed on 12/12 schedule and did manage to get them to finish, although the AG could have gone on forever. I'm thinking 11/13 this winter if I'm trying to get them to finish in a timely manner.

I have the luxury of finishing these crazy long sativas outdoors. Last years Purple OTH x Meao Thai went until January. You’ve got your hands full attempting indoors, but read all the notes from Terpene. He did it very well and I’ve smoked his wares...no joke. Good luck! And go 11/13 at least.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi TexasTea,

Glad to see you are giving a try to Purple Haze x Malawi :) It's not so terpy like your beloved Panama hybrids but the high is really really nice.
Thanks a lot for your great contributions and feedback this year, much appreciated! :wave:

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
It is impossible to thank dubi enough for all of the amazing varieties to explore on this grand adventure we are all embarked upon. I just feel so damned lucky. Blessings to you and the entire Ace family! :trampoline: