What's new

Purple haze and Alcapulco Gold? WTF?

Also to ELEVATOR MAN,

I dont know jack shit when it comes to strains and/or relatives of strains and whatnot. I just hear names, and look at appearances. But, am I supposed to assume that Acapulco Gold comes from the Columbian Gold line? Hence, why you italicided columbian? Or am I missing something? Thanks. Peace.

G

wow, what a nice bitchfest. awesome job with that ace seeds! both strains still exist, especially within certain lines. tom hill's original haze has a good portion of the phenotypes being purple, as do a few other pure haze lines. acapulco gold is available through several breeders but its best to do a bit of research and see when the collections occured. starting in the late 70's through the 80's (depending on the region) indica genetics were introduced into mexican genetics in an effort to increase yields and bring down flowering time. this has caused many of the current 'acapulco gold' lines to be bastardized. good luck with your search.

G

ask Luiz the breeder of the BSC to know how they worked to obtain some of their strains...

You do make us laugh. Let me help you with your grasp of reality. These are FaQ's not your silly fantasies.

1) BSC lines are made in a closet in a apartment, which is why Breeders Choice do not offer them.

2) BSC lines are selected from Bagseed, not what we want and as preservationists, not important to warrant further investigation by us, we have many Brazillian lines and we have just returned from the region collecting with Zams trip earlier in the year. We plan also to revisit to collect some other lines we investigated whilst there.

2) We did offer to help L with his life work, with one of my partners supporting him financially through difficult times, donating serious money. We stopped that support as there it was not possible for us to do any more. Pray tell, what did you lot REALLY do apart form talk? nothing.

3) BSC has Colombian Black, Punto Rojo, Haze and many other lines from us Breeders Choice. We are not working with any of L's lines, neither will we ever due to the above.

It makes us laugh to see you guys talking about offering BSC seed. As usual perhaps you don't really care enough to find out the truth do you? We went to Brazil, found out for ourselves. Some talk, we walk the walk.

Paz, flores

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
HHF I understand why you wouldn't want to use lines bred in a closet because of the lack of space, and all the breeding problems lack of space causes.

but why no bagseeds? worried about mixes and contaminations I'm guessing? just out of curiousity if your not getting your seeds from bags in the region how are you getting them?

it just seems to me like you'd be missing some good weed from bagseed. after all it all started as bagseed at some point. I have gotten a few good mexicans out of bagseed that were equal to pure oaxacas I had given to me from region of origin in '68.

zamalito

Veteran
Sam_Skunkman said:
Do you really think that Thai is as good today as it was 30 years ago? Do you also believe that Afghani hash is as good as it was 30 years ago?....

To me Thai was the best commercially produced Cannabis in the world and its loss is a crime. Try and find really great Cannabis or Cannabis seeds in Thailand today and you will understand what I mean, it is a joke compared to what it was.
-SamS

My ideal of a thai phenotype and it is from my own personal experience and backed up by reference as I said before is teadrop shaped calyxes with an extremely long narrow tip with a strandy floral structure, indeterminate flower production/maturation with narrow leaves but with wide serrations that exhibit a hand-like array. Dubi, the plant you showed in that picture looks like a modern thai/cambodian and is quite far from the old lowland line. Obviously people can acclimate herb to a temperate climate without a loss in potency. I believe you were misunderstanding something I had previously writen about what happens to potency when allowed to go feral in a temperate climate which is the exact opposite of selective breeding. As I've told you before privately I just acquired my first digital camera last fall. I'm a fairly low tech individual and I only post pictures of plants in places where I no longer grow. I don't enjoy the priviledge of living in a country where seed production is legal and posting pictures of a current grow scares the shit out of me. Look for some pictures from me this fall.

While we do sell seeds we are living peasant lifestyles where most of my tools and food are produced with my own hands. I'm even carving my smoking parafenelia from stones quarried from ancient beds of pipestone and have studied flinknapping and blacksmithing. We have no desire to become wealthy. Much of the proceeds from our seeds are going to go further cannabis preservation and all that I ask is that you give us some time to prove this to you. If you fel our seeds are fake grow some out and do a report on it.

Charlie, I agree that leaf width is by no means a factor to judge the purity of tropical cannabis. Some mexican lines are a good example.

I hate to see all of this innecesary catiness. Like motaco said, its unproductive. I could vomit out accusations of thievery and using lines without the donors permission also but it really doesn't accomplish anything constructive. If you guys don't wish to work with us fine. All I ask is that you do good work and do the plant justice. The community has taken many blows from greed and jealousy from seed merchants. Hhf and I were just discussing about greed over seed profits being the cause for overgrow's decline.

G

motaco said:
HHF I understand why you wouldn't want to use lines bred in a closet because of the lack of space, and all the breeding problems lack of space causes.

Hi Motaco,

but why no bagseeds?

Purely because there is a long list of cultivars that urgently need preservation and there is limited space and time. Bagseed can surprise and show wonderful plants, but for a preservationist there is pure landraces under threat around the world in urgent need of preservation.
worried about mixes and contaminations I'm guessing?

Yes that is also a risk.
just out of curiousity if your not getting your seeds from bags in the region how are you getting them?

We are going to regions, collecting from source for preservation seed, going to regions ourselves. Zam has been to Brazil so far this year, we plan to be visiting again later in the year and have at least one trip to Nepal, this year.

it just seems to me like you'd be missing some good weed from bagseed.

For sure, but we are not looking for good weed, with all respects bro. It is about protecting, as best we can what remains of the diversity of Cannabis.

after all it all started as bagseed at some point. I have gotten a few good mexicans out of bagseed that were equal to pure oaxacas I had given to me from region of origin in '68.

For sure, for the grower bagseed can be treasure and is great fun to explore.

Paz, hhf

Ganico

Veteran
Why do folks have to act so feminized about SEEDS. It's seeds, folks. Come on now

It'd be the shit if somebody just came in and started selling all these quality pure lines for $25 a 15-pack. I bet all the seed co's would be pissed off then regardless, haha.

Last edited:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
geetardude - no, I wasn't suggesting that it was derived from CG, just that the CG would be a reasonable and similar alternative, until such times as the verifiable AG seeds are available somewhere - those italics again! :)

I've never visited Mexico, but I assume that whatever AG was in the past, must not be available today. But from what I've read, Santa Marta Gold would be damn close to the legendary Acapulco - which may have just been a particularly good seedline at the time in that area, rather than it being down to a particular environment.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Unfortunately Charlie edited his posts....
Anyway,I have one question:
HHF,
Where did you get the Ot1´s hazes??
I have two female cuttings,will post pics soon.
Charlie gave away LOTS of Meao Thai beans,for free...just to mention ONE strain...in fact,he´s been sharing TONS of genetics for YEARS.
Enough said by now :sasmokin:

G

elevator man- columbian sativas are a bit different than mexicans in my opinion. the closest thing to old-school acapulco gold that i can think of is that old highland oaxacan gold ibl. :wink:

edit: and how can you rip on REAL preservationists when you have strain named 'congo' and 'panama' that arent landraces from those regions? thats not helping to preserve the genepool if you ask me.

Last edited:

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
@HHF. oh that makes sense. I wasn't thinking about the number of strains you've probably already got to preserve that you know the lineage of; and that you'd want IBL's and legitmate landraces. Not just region of origin strains, whether they're stable or not.

I'm still waiting for someone to start selling Lima Limon. I've heard a few mexicans talking about that weed. its not a landrace or anything but its some kinda mexican sativa they all like.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
elevator man- columbian sativas are a bit different than mexicans in my opinion. the closest thing to old-school acapulco gold that i can think of is that old highland oaxacan gold ibl.
I was hoping you'd say that...:)

I freely admit my sativa knowledge is still pretty basic, so apologies if I've confused anyone with my statements, (and I certainly wasn't aware of all the previous hoo-hah that's been mentioned) but this is all good education, and I'm still enjoying the thread. I think everyone's passionate about the preservation aspect, with good reason, and good sativas are what the world needs more of, IMHO...

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
yeah thats what I was kinda trying to say. whether they are landrace or not our available sativa seedstock is pretty limited, and alot of it is crossed with each other.

so I really don't have a problem with someone selling worked on bagseed strains that are sativas hardly anyone has smoked in 30+ yrs. even if it isn't pure anymore, its still a different gene pool than 90% of what we consider mainstream weed culture is growing.

alot of the weed scene is so dutched up it is sad. I'd just be happy to see new genes introduced.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Both Charlie and Dubi have posted a lot of excellent pics.I like good pics..
where are your P1´s,Breeders Choice?

B

bonecarver_OG

lots of respect to charlie.

there is a very very few breeders of his calibre out there...

u all know it

peace!

muddy waters

Busting someone's balls for not posting images of their grows, Raco?

Really... I've given both of them shit for not having a catalog and not putting all the great descriptions together with some extensive photo-documentation...

And you personally have done a great job of photographing your plants, contributing much to this forum. Thanks man, I love it.

But unless you're also really risking your home, your next 5-10 years, and your ass in prison, the taunting coming from you just looks incredibly juvenile.

Love and appreciation go out to all the cannabis growers everywhere, even the ones unfortunately doin' it to make a buck...

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok ok,
perhaps Spain is still different
and speaking of Spain,
I have asked:where did you get the Ot1´s haze?
I´m also a participant,I DO have cuttings.The origen of these cuttings is "crystal clear"....
Not hard feelings at all,muddy :D

muddy waters

I have asked:where did you get the Ot1´s haze?
I did not get it in a car
I did not get it from afar
I did not sow and pluck it ripe
I did not suck it through a pipe
I did not smoke and be amazed.
I did not get the Ot1's haze.

Last edited:

Ganico

Veteran
Motaco- "lima limon" means "lemon lime" right?

A few years ago around here you'd ocassionally get brickweed that had a real unique citrus flavor, lemon lime is about the closest description I can think of, I wonder if it was the same.
This year there's been a lot of really fruity brickweed, real tropical tasting. (not the orange peel and banana trick either, haha. It's truly fruity smelling, moreso when you break it up. And especially if you let it sit in a jar)