What's new

Purple haze and Alcapulco Gold? WTF?

Hey,

So why is it that only these 2 strains seem to have disappeared/been smoked up? I dont understand why we wouldnt still have these to this day?

zamalito

Veteran
And acapulco gold soon! There is much of the genepool that have disappeared like zacatecas and popocateptl cannabis and the original Thai gene pool but acapulco gold and purple haze are still around.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Original thai genetics are not dissapear zamalito,

there's people doing REAL preservation work who has saved this kind of genetics for years, since the time of the thai sticks (late 70s) . We have recollected and grown 'modern' thais (meao thai, koh chang thai) showing the classic SE Asian pheno so it's not clearly a lost genepool. You must grow it to know it.

Geetardude, good luck on your search. dubi

T

terran2

Elevator Man said:
Well you can get Purple Haze and Colombian Gold from Breeders Choice here:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=54683

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=56973

I'm sure Acapulco Gold will be along sometime...:)

We like hazes, Steve Jobs sure did , and the A~golds when he was medcating on then & envisioned Apple ....a company which is worth 106.39 billion dollars today .... what a stoner huh ?? ;o)
lol:
www.weedfarmer.com/pictures/d/155849-2/purple-haze5.jpg

Last edited:

mindRubber

Purple Haze was the best high I ever had. Almost trippy. And that was like 12 years ago. Man I wish I could get my hands on some now!

zamalito

Veteran
Perhaps I should elaborate on my opinions about the Thai genepool. Koh chang, Ko Bad and Ko Kot are islands that while politically are part of Thailand are across from the Cambodian province of Pursat. All of the herbs sold on those islands is carried over from Cambodia and not Thailand. Both the smugglers and the dealers themselves are almost entirely ethnically cambodian. The serious problem that I encounter with trying relocate the original thai genes is that since the Cambodian lines while exhibiting traits of a general Southeast Asian sativa Cambodians are more grower friendly than the Thais and seem to have replaced much of the Thai gene pool and the most unique traits of the Thai gene pool are becoming harder to find individually and extremely hard to find all in one seedline. The problem becomes amplified by the many who cannot distinguish the difference between a Cambodian and a Thai and pass along Cambodian genes found in Thailand as Thais in the international community. This creates an entire community who have an incorrect impression of what Thai grass was originally. I hope I'm not insulting the meao line you mentioned as it is a great line but it is very far being a stereotype of the original Thai gene pool. The desirability of the meao line is exactly because it is unique among the old Thai lines. Obviously you know more about the breeding history of your meao line than I do but I personally would put it more under the category of an improved landrace than a representation of a thai stereotype and correct me if I'm wrong (I hope I am) but I think I remember reading that it was bred for an earlier harvest. I'm sure you know that breeding for an earlier harvest is a way of improving a line but not maintaining it as an original. The very definition of breeding for earlier harvest is contradictory to preservation. When I grow a line that has wide leaves during early growth and narrow leaves during flowering I assume that it has been hybridized at some point with either a wider leafed sativa or an indica. A north Indian indica would seem to be somewhat possible in this instance. I have seen purple pistils and quite wide leafed phenos in the Destroyer line which hints at some indica influence.

I'd like to go on by saying that I haven't seen a Thai line that produces the course and round serrated yet extremely narrow Alligator tail leaves, 1/2" long calyxes, and true indeterminate flowering in at least ten years. I'm not saying it doesn't exist I'm just saying the damage done to the Thai gene pool is seriously underestimated by the community and that is just with respects to the stereotype. There are many many phenotypes from within the Thai gene pool that are lost and gone forever. I've personally seen pure Thai plants that would flower for 20+ weeks but remain under 3.5ft tall when grown from seed under 12/12 exhibiting. I've seen true creeper phenos from the thai gene pool. Surely if you have come across thai lines exhibiting that phenotype I ask you to please share them with the community so they can be preserved. I've talked to someone recently who says theyre certain they will be able to find some non-cambodian/non-indian influenced thai lines and I'm reserving judgement until I hear back from them.

http://www.planetganja.com/highsociety/showthread.php?t=40606&highlight=timbo

I'm not sure if the Thai lines were bred for ease of making thai sticks or if Thai sticks evolved from the ease of which they can be made from original Thai herb lowland regions (correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the custom of rolling sticks came from india) but real Thai herb should be very conducive to manufacturing thai sticks and should NOT make a cohesive inflorescence but should make many runny loose strands of the largest calyxes growing along a thin flexible gland covered stem.

D

Dalaihempy

Hi all not takeing sides here but Thai lines are far from lost.

I my self have a pure line that was from imported thia from 78 thats been inbreed 10 generations and was gifted to me by a guy who only wonted me to preserve them here.

I have grown lots of thia threw the years here and the thia being imported here came by small plane or by shipping and stoping mid 80s.

Thia came in a few forms some came in comprest brick form others came in stick form others came in rolled comprest form and not forgeting the opiumated thia sticks .

I have grown a lot of thia threw the years the one i grew the most and loved was collected by a friend from a dealer he was friends with in thialand ,My friend had become friends with him over time and would go score from him soon as he dropet his stuff of at the hotel wich he went there for work often threw the year and at the time i belive was 82 this was ment to be the best thia wich was called golden budda.

From what i know thia came in red flower /blue flower as they called it wich would of been a blue green flower / and a lite green flower before harvest / you had high land thias and low land thias .

Most thias i grew would smell sweet threw flower and only after harvest and cure would the clasic thia spicey earth smell and taste come.

This thia i have now is od as it has a almost rotten meat like smell threw flower.

From what i have read and been told the Cambodian sativas tend to be shorter and squote sativas.

I know for a fact thia and other old sativas are far from lost guys lots of older growers still grow them and from what i was told you can even find old thia lines still growing in thialand but you need to know people to locate them.

One more thing about thia lines i keep reading people posting saying thia lines hermi well i infact grew quiet a few lines i never saw 1 hermi show at sex but i have grown a few thia liners that did have hermies in there line BUT not one thia line i have ever grown once sexet and was a female from erly on hermied threw flower the only time i saw hermies in thia lines infact all sativa lines was at the onset of sex you got female / male / or hermies.

Heres a few pics of that thia line from 78 i harvested these i think week 19 or 20 of flower but had more to go i plan on running these soon may even do a post see how i feel .

G

I know a guy (from a different forum) who has a 1978 Thai growing right now. I think he said it's been 20+ weeks and still shows no signs of slowing down. Like 8 or 9 feet tall. It's ridiculous.

He said while the size of the plant is great, he suspects the yield won't be (for the size of the plant). Airy buds, he said.

And on the issue of lost strains. I don't think a strain is ever lost. It's always being preserved somewhere, even if they don't know they're preserving it. Old heads with classic strains. Type of people that don't use computers or cell phones. Real one with earth type of people.

.....Or there's always that pychotic who lives in solitude in fear of the government. Refers to his property as "the compound." You know the type. LOL :p

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
zamalito said:
Perhaps I should elaborate on my opinions about the Thai genepool. Koh chang, Ko Bad and Ko Kot are islands that while politically are part of Thailand are across from the Cambodian province of Pursat. All of the herbs sold on those islands is carried over from Cambodia and not Thailand. Both the smugglers and the dealers themselves are almost entirely ethnically cambodian. The serious problem that I encounter with trying relocate the original thai genes is that since the Cambodian lines while exhibiting traits of a general Southeast Asian sativa Cambodians are more grower friendly than the Thais and seem to have replaced much of the Thai gene pool and the most unique traits of the Thai gene pool are becoming harder to find individually and extremely hard to find all in one seedline. The problem becomes amplified by the many who cannot distinguish the difference between a Cambodian and a Thai and pass along Cambodian genes found in Thailand as Thais in the international community. This creates an entire community who have an incorrect impression of what Thai grass was originally.

Firstly, I'd like to hear your opinion Zamalito about what is a 'real' and 'stereotyped' original thai, based in your own real growing experiences and not in what you have heard or seen in other's pics. Pics of your homegrown thais would be very apreciated. Our collective has recollected, grown and preserved thais lines, we have developed strains using thai genetics, we are talking based in our own growing experiences.

Secondly, we have finished many homegrown cambodians, vietnameses and thais. And it's not easy to differenciate a homegrown cambodian bud, a vietnamese and a thai flower. All of them share the same genetic background , with almost the same kind of aromas (citric,lemony, floral) appearance (light green thin plants), flower distribution and kind of highs. Of course there are some differences, homegrown vietnamese is more lemony than thais, which are very similar but thai more floral and creamy, but you must train your eye and nose by growing them.

zamalito said:
The very definition of breeding for earlier harvest is contradictory to preservation.

Growers and breeders from temperate latitudes receive tropical genetics. Then they select phenos that naturally can work better in their northern latitude. It's impossible to save all the genetic diversity working in clandestine with a dozen of plants, you'd need to grow thousands of plants from each line to actually avoid endogamic depression and do a correct preservation job something impossible in today's cannabis breeding scene.

It's natural that breeders like charlie put more efforts to select and inbred the most powerful and fast flowering meao thai expressions, because snow comes in early November in his zone, when tropical plants are only at mid flowering.

After 5 or 6 meao thai reproductions here in Spain, she's still incredible powerful (it's not true that acclimatized tropical sativas in northern latitudes become hemp, this talks about the bad selections of the breeder but nothing more.).

Seeing you are very 'purist' and theorical about conservation and preservation, i'd like to hear breeding details and pics of your parental selections in your collective, especially about hazes.

Where did you haze clones and seeds come from?

Does Oldtimer aprove that you are using constantly his name to promote your seed sales (here at Icmag and even in Soft Secrets arthicles) ?

What was your breeding criteria or breeding goals when reproducing the hazes? Please, i'd love to see pics of your preservation work.

And here's an original and stereotyped thai sativa from Koh Chang Island, grown organically here in Spain. 20 weeks of flowering time, harvestes 3rd week of january, totally free hermie.

It's true that Koh Chang Islands are close to Cambodia, but the plant im showing you has the creamy/floral/lemony, spicy and woody aromas of the original thais. High is long lasting, complex, almost psychedelic.

C

charlie garcia

Edit
sorry for this edit.
Apologize

Last edited:
G

Can I remind everyone that Old Timer himself said that genetics are like land, you may have use of them for a while, but you never really own it. OT preserved he genes, did his bit, then passed on the lines to his Spanish compadres for continued preservation.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
well first let me say its sad to see such knowledgable people arguing amongst themselves in a non productive way.

I realize that is the pot calling the kettle black because I argue with everyone that has a s/n; but nevertheless guys we only have a handful of people here that actually know anything. lets not get into shit between one another.

but i do agree with HHF. I get tired of supposed "preservationists" who run their mouth alot more about breeding practices, who is selling what from who, than about actually preserving our genepools.

if HHF or zam want to sell landraces or old school sativas, than good on them. the more seeds are available the more we can get easier and share easier.

For all the people who bitch about people selling seeds I can count the ones on my hands who actually live up to what they preach. you can count the guys who mass breed plants to spread for free on one hand.

its unreasonable to think someone would grow out thousands of seeds and hundreds of plants and then give them away. we're not talking about a handful of seeds for you and your friends. we're talking about seed stock for everyone who wants it. its not easy.