What's new

Purple Afghan

G

Hi Folks

Those of you that have been following my coco grow thread will know that I've been really impressed with the Purple Afghan plants I have, exceptional health and vigour, nicest 'Ghani type I've come across. I received them from an old timer who tells me they are an unhybridised Afghan from the 70s, I hope they are as they look really, really good. Now flowering has got underway, 3 of the four Purple Afghan ladies have turned very purple, the calyxes are a very deep dark purple and this is spreading onto the leaves, resin is already building up and they looks like they will be some very frosty, very purple colas. The fourth one is identical but green with only a tiny hint of pink on the calyxes. One of the purples is a touch darker than the others, so dark it is almost more black than purple. I have clones of the purple pheno. here they are, day 21 of 12/12. Last pic is the green pheno.

P1010003.jpg

P1010011.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010013.jpg

P1010014.jpg

G

Cheers man, I only hope the male I have kept passes on the purple trait.

I

indicalover

Ya, that would be nice. The buds have a very unique look to them. The stigmas are huge.

2ezy

Looks great man. Hopefully the potency is still up there. In my experience purple plants are usually less potent than their green mates. Hope it's not the case here.

I recently grew some hashberry and a few were purple. The green ladies were noticeably more potent, even though all the plants were extremely healthy..

muddy waters

nice one BH! you are inbreeding these if i understood correctly? very cool... just dreaming a little here... a deep chunk x purple afghan cross would be killer as a representation of afghani genetics... maybe we can cooperate on such a project in the future.

Ras Pablo

Veteran
muddy waters said:
nice one BH! you are inbreeding these if i understood correctly? very cool... just dreaming a little here... a deep chunk x purple afghan cross would be killer as a representation of afghani genetics... maybe we can cooperate on such a project in the future.

I think It wouldn´t be very interesting beacuse DC and this purp afghan sure that are sisters..the cross will be very similar to the father and mother.. cause they are very similar plants, from the same part..and the effect will be very similar I think will be more interesting cross DC o this purp afghan with Oldtimer´s haze from ACE ..it´s a project i have....hehe :rasta:

More pics More pics!! :headbange

G

Hi guys, thanks for the interest. I am mostly interested in crossing the Afghan male to the DC as the DC I have is clone only, I have no DC seeds and don't now anyone who has. The DC is totally lacking in vigous and has been highly inbred, but the old school hashy taste and resin production is amazing, something I want to preserve, so I think a male Afghan would probably help ameliorate the vigour problem while keeping the genes all-Afghan.

The Afghan in male and female form are preserved as clones now and will feature in a few of my future breeding projects, it will be a while before I truly know their breeding potential and what traits they are true-breeding for, but it will be fun and informative finding out through making and testing crosses.

Muddy, I am indeebing inbreeding these Afghans to make seed for preservation and will be happy to share. Shame you are so far away otherwise I would send you cuts.

G

Actually, I'm not all that interested in pure DC seeds as the DC line is so terribly slow to grow and so very leafy, it is it's taste and resin production that are the desirable traits for me. i also have a precious Herijuana pheno I keep as a mother, it is the most indica pheno, indicating it is the Petrolia Headstash pheno and that means it is stongly influenced by Afghan genes, it is also a very slow grower, it's desirable traits are it's knockout potency and very high bud density.

So I'm going to pollinate Herijuana and DC cuts with the Purple Afghan male pollen as the Afghan has lots of vigour and hopefully may improve the negative aspects of the Heri and DC.

Here's some shots of the Herijuana cut, I think this mega potent Heri with it's dark purple leaves will go really nice with the Purple Afghan, I would love to find a pheno in the F1s with the purple buds of the Purple Afghan and the purple leaves of the Heri, that would be a very pretty plant and highly potent too.

P1010002-1.jpg

P1010003-1.jpg

P1010014.jpg

P1010016-1.jpg

E

easyrasta

nice job as usual
can u tell me how long you let those go.
do you over ripen for color?
Peace
Ez

muddy waters

BH, i see you have not just the sativas but the indicas goin as well... sounds like a mighty fine stable...

you are correct about DC, what it most needs IMO is some vigor... i greatly look forward to that result... and the herijuana ph pheno cross as well... afghani paradise at BH's place

Ras Pablo, i was thinking DC would make a good hybrid with this purple afghan for an indica with good vigorous growth and typical afghani characteristics. there are many different genetics that originate from afghanistan and pakistan by the way, not all of them are closely related... good luck with your DC x Haze, that is indeed the cross of all crosses...

G

Hiya Rasta. that Heri was taken at 55 days, lots of others folks Heris went purple on the leaves like that, it's just genetics.

Hiya muddy. I decided to do some indicas for a change, but I still have the sativa side covered with some Mexicans and Colombian Gold x Grapefruitbowl f2s, plus a SSSDH female. Sadly, all my Durbans were male, but once the indicas are cut and dried, it's an all-sativa run of some more CG x GFB fs, Tibetan x South African, Blueberry x Zamal and Trainwreck. You're dead right about the many different strains from the Afghna/Pakistan region, the genetic diversity in that part of the world in the cannabis family is huge, there are a huge range of both indigenous landraces and man-made or intruduced cultivars so it's impossible to say that a particular strain is representative of what is a very wide regional genepool.... but this one looks like a good sample from that pool.

Ras Pablo

Veteran
British_Hempire said:
The DC is totally lacking in vigous and has been highly inbredQUOTE]

I think you say an stupid thing....DC is very vigorous :headbange .... cause the work with strain has been very good.. please don´t say another time that DC hasn´t got vigour... :bashhead:

G

Are you growing your DC indoors or outside under the lovely sun in Southern Spain? DC performs much better outdoors, indoors it grows very, very slowly and is very, very leafy. Tom Hill has passed on earlier DC seedlines so that others can work with these earlier less inbred strains and produce a pure DC that hasn't lost all it's vigour.

Ras Pablo

Veteran
In indoor and outdoor very vigorous!! :cuss:
You wanna see pics in outdoor ?Search information..in denmark I know Esbe has grown DC outdoors!! and the plant arrive 2 meters!! in indoors the plant is little but the ramification is amazing! And they resist all !! are very strong

Last edited:

muddy waters

DC indoors (at least at IX12 or IX13) is slow and kinda rough on the eyes and light on the yield Ras Pablo... doesn't mean i don't love it though... it is the most unique plant i've seen yet.

if i could somehow produce DC seed en masse it would be possible to grow DC sprouts as forage or soup greens or something, at the 2nd or 3rd node of growth it looks like kale.

G

I agree muddy, all the indoor Dc grows I have seen have been really short, leafy cabbage-like plants. Perhaps the DC Ras has is less inbred, certainly the later releases are very inbred and the vigour missing.

Some more pics of the Purple Afghan taken with my new camera, judging by the number of triches on the fan leaves already, these are gonna be some very frosty ladies, really looking forward to making some ice hash from these:

DSCF0027.jpg

DSCF0028.jpg

DSCF0029.jpg

And here is one of the other Purple Afghan ladies, last pic is one of the green pheno. There are two green ladies and two purple ladies, all are equally frosty and pretty much identical apart from the colouration.

DSCF0025.jpg

DSCF0044.jpg

DSCF0045.jpg

DSCF0039.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts