What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pure Thai Sativas

Airloom

Veteran
I found NH21 x MM to be something close to a Thai effect but a little easier to grow....
Just my opinion....
Thank you @willydread

That’s exactly the kind of help I need and appreciate. You’ve obviously read my rants here. 🕳️

I’ve got quite a few beans on ice based upon researching threads here, and MM was the first strain I went looking for. 🔥

I turned 65 this year and can manage the tech just enough to get into trouble. I figured out how to get on a waitlist. When I got an email from them I regret only buying one pack. 🤷‍♂️

Gonna be very grateful for any data, especially based upon personal experience.

I know from many years of fly fishing and other pursuits how important a mentor or the like can be just for morale’s sake. My brother kept at fly fishing for a year before he caught anything!!!!!!!!! He is single so he had more time etc but a year was still way beyond my idea of a learning curve.

I’ve literally put every other hobby/pursuit on hold to pursue this Thai-weed fever-dream in order to actually develop some semblance of a disciplined approach to a “hobby” for once in my life.

My fly-fishing brother actually plays a prominent role in this here story line. He plays the villain. He revealed to me many years later that he’d somehow been able to reach up inside my locked sea-bag and pinch out “just enough” of that seedless bud for the day. (I brought an ounce home from California for 2 weeks leave Christmas 1977). He asked me how much he owed me for the stolen weed. I just laughed. 46 years later I still think about it, but it’s not nearly as funny. He got Covid last year and nearly died. Out of no where he asked me to be his PR and help get him through that. I did. He’s as stubborn and selfish as ever. Se la vi.

Back to our story….

I know I will harvest SOMETHING decent. Hardest part is knowing when to stop reading or buying seed and just grow it. I’m making a plan but not planning the outcome.

@LostTribe says “you gotta grow it to know it”

Amen to that

olday

Veteran
Not pure Thais but here’s what’s in the garden today and looking good considering it’s in a colder dry Midwest basement. I have a couple Destroyers going and this one looks more (Meao) Thai Dominant. The second is from Ace and it is growing/smelling nothing like his Panama so I assume it’s Chang Mai leaning. First time for both so we’ll see how they smoke.

BC4CA014-F46E-4677-B7EF-2B017284823D.jpeg

3F9EDC52-238F-4C3C-A752-4A2E2E5428FD.jpeg

Oddly enough a different short bushy Pheno of destroyer smells a little like juicy fruit gum. Not sure if the version of Thai in that is related.

Herbert Chickybaby

It always seems to cross my mind if the unusual quality of the effect of the old Thai sticks was due to some fermentation process. I only ever had some Thai stick back in the day once, around '78, it did not make an enormously good impression on me, though I do remember thinking it was good, a bit better than the usual Colombian commercial stuff we had access to in my area. I liked the way it looked a reddish brown as I recall, very neatly trimmed it looked like a cigarette and it was wrapped in a ganja fiber thin string. really awesome looking actually, I had money for just one. But yes, many say the effects they experienced were so incredible that they thought surely it must be dipped in opium. I don't know why but I just don't believe it was opium. it would not be necessary to do that I don't think. But it seems certain people did experience something pretty intense and from what I hear about Malawi cob, it too has this outrageously intense high and that is chalked up to the way it is fermented during its cure I think buried in the ground. I can't help but wonder if thats where the incredible Tai stick lies, in a fermentation. Once I get my own I should see what cobbing some up does for it. Theres a Malawian guy on one of the threads on this site who explains how you can make it, so there's no excuse not to experimnt with that and with actually tieing Tai stick up and letting it cure that way.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
ive always thought the same hc,
and experiments in curing and slight fermentation at home has tended to confirm my thoughts ,
i dont think the thai was fermented the same as guys in the thread you mention are doing ,
my experience tells me that thai weed was simply a little tacky and not 100% dry when put into bundles of prepared sticks ,
as you could imagine, it would be hard to stop the harvested bud going crunchy dry there with the heat ,
especially in the dry season when the humidity is at its lowest , and presumably when they were wrapping these sticks ,
so hence my assumption they were still a little tacky when done and the final drying was done while they were all bulked up together and some sort of slight fermentation took place ..
then from farm to customer , likely took a fair amount of time , particularly to western countries ,
by then the herb was well cured , and imo about as good as it gets ,
we could have never hoped to replicate that process , even produce the weed in our western countries well away from the tropics ,
so i think thats how folks started thinking something had been added to enhance the product ,
not that opium would enhance a cannabis high though , it was just a stab in the dark i think and many folks fell for it and still that urban myth is repeated when folks bring up the potency of thai sticks of old ...

Herbert Chickybaby

ive always thought the same hc,
and experiments in curing and slight fermentation at home has tended to confirm my thoughts ,
i dont think the thai was fermented the same as guys in the thread you mention are doing ,
my experience tells me that thai weed was simply a little tacky and not 100% dry when put into bundles of prepared sticks ,
as you could imagine, it would be hard to stop the harvested bud going crunchy dry there with the heat ,
especially in the dry season when the humidity is at its lowest , and presumably when they were wrapping these sticks ,
so hence my assumption they were still a little tacky when done and the final drying was done while they were all bulked up together and some sort of slight fermentation took place ..
then from farm to customer , likely took a fair amount of time , particularly to western countries ,
by then the herb was well cured , and imo about as good as it gets ,
we could have never hoped to replicate that process , even produce the weed in our western countries well away from the tropics ,
so i think thats how folks started thinking something had been added to enhance the product ,
not that opium would enhance a cannabis high though , it was just a stab in the dark i think and many folks fell for it and still that urban myth is repeated when folks bring up the potency of thai sticks of old ...
Yes, I was thinking something like what you describe here Mr. Duck, something still a bit wet and resinous, enough to get slightly fermented and altered. There is some chemical transformation of some of the cannabanoids according to, I think, if I recall correctly, what people said on the thread about cob. So you can imagine something like that could happen wit the Thai stick. It would be really interesting to try and see if just tying it up in bundles in harvest has an effect, would like also to do the cob process, sounds like some really crazy shit, which is what I like!

romanoweed

Slight fermentaiton is what gave me a strong Vietnameseblack sample .
I simply trew some slightly moldy Vietblack in a Baggie, closed it and forgot it for two, three years.
(slight moisture in the bud of corse/ roomtemperatures)

The curing felt perfect, cause the effect was strong and what i imagine you guys call refined .
(its also to note that i havent compared to fresh vietblack samples!)

But you know my standpoint:
for a perfect old 70s thai Line , its just not what maters much FOR ME.
(speculation)

Last edited:

romanoweed

a bit wet and resinous, enough to get slightly fermented and altered
exactly.
cause totally fermented weed tends to become almost weak , imho

But i wouldnt bundle it, i would bagg it, really it was perfect curing just trowing weed into a baggie wet, voila.
No remoisturizing.. wait till its not soaked wet, just well moist, into baggie, close it, voila

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
i dont think clipseal bags were a thing back in the 70s and early 80s ,
i do recall buying ounces of weed , or bags of , in sandwich bags though ,
they just had a fold over top , some folks used to lick that to make it stick when rolled up ,
a bit frowned apon thesedays i guess with all the concern about germs etc ....

im not sure how moldy or wet your weed was roman ,
but sounds like a recipe for disaster in the tropics where i live , or in thailand,
2 to 3 years later you would have found something in a bag that once resembled weed but no longer does.. lol...
im pretty sure that thai weed was at the point where the stems didnt quite snap , but was otherwise fairly dry, just not 100% , and putting them into a bundle , saved them from going crispy dry and crumbling up into just dust ...

romanoweed

yes, and what i told you wasent ment to be an exact copy of what Thais did, it was ment to imitate the Principles. And how i succeeded.
And that is, closing off the air.

If you want to softly press the weed , than do that, i would rather not,
I think any kind of pressing by itselve is negative for our goals, however it may be an easyer way to get the moisture quiet right. Or maybe actually not, cause like said pressing..

So, i personally would stick to my method if i would ever again cure weed on purpose. (however, a slight pressing is no big deal anyway)

Last edited:

acespicoli

Anyone running a thai thats too much to smoke ?
The kind where you have to wait after a few tokes to see how scary its gonna be ?

Aint see none like that since I was a novice, but maybe its out there still with no tolerance

Dry for one day and bundle in a brick, traditional thai weed
And think to look at tea, yes the same techniques they use for tea and the weed for the same reasons

I said brick but more correctly the term should be bundle
1676770863381.png

Last edited:

acespicoli

I dont think there is gonna be an added potency maybe some chemical conversion small amounts

Black tea The tea leaves are allowed to completely oxidize. Black tea is first withered to induce protein breakdown and reduce water content (68–77% of original). The leaves then undergo a process known in the industry as disruption or leaf maceration, which through bruising or cutting disrupts leaf cell structures, releasing the leaf juices and enzymes that activate oxidation.[17][23] The oxidation process takes between 45 and 90 minutes[23] to 3 hours[17] and is done at high humidity between 20 and 30 °C, transforming much of the catechins of the leaves into complex tannin. Orthodox processed black teas are further graded according to the post-production leaf quality by the Orange Pekoe system, while crush, tear, curl (CTC) teas use a different grading system.[38] Orthodox tea leaves are heavily rolled either by hand or mechanically on a cylindrical rolling table or a rotor vane. The rolling table consists of a ridged table-top moving in an eccentric manner to a large hopper of tea leaves, of which the leaves are pressed down onto the table-top. The process produces a mixture of whole and broken leaves, and particles which are then sorted, oxidized, and dried. The rotovate consists of an auger pushing withered tea leaves through a vane cylinder which crushes and evenly cuts the leaves.[18] Crush, tear, curl is a production method developed by William McKercher in 1930 which uses machines with contra-rotating rotors with surfaces patterning that cut and tear the leaves producing a product popular for use in tea bags. The rotovate is often used to pre-cut the withered tea prior to the CTC and to create broken orthodox processed black tea.[18]

So the sticks having been rolled tightly in the hands will instead of being loose will become tight
this is the maceration step somewhat
and by tying with thread may be maintained in this shape for extended periods

The tea processing
Black tea is first withered to induce protein breakdown and reduce water content (68–77% of original). The leaves then undergo a process known in the industry as disruption or leaf maceration, which through bruising or cutting disrupts leaf cell structures, releasing the leaf juices and enzymes that activate oxidation.[17][23]

The taste from green hay grassy to a richer fuller taste is what your after depending on your tastes
thru oxidation

romanoweed

@acespicoli Interesting you mention "Leafes being rolled."

Well i dint think this has benefitial effects at first, but who knows it might be part of the perfect formula ..
I am now thinking that i also pressed the moldy buds simply by removing them..

not shure its part of the formula.. hmm.
Skunkman says pressingn Hash will "damages" trichomes, and he prefferes unpressed Kief..

acespicoli

1676772999297.png

Also it will keep the tricomes in the otherwise loose buds during long transports and any storage
The planet is constantly vibrating at a low frequency.

1676773380657.png

Artificial vibrations between 450 and 1000 Hz remove twice as much pollen than vibrations of 400 Hz (Harder & Barclay, 1994). However, within the range of frequencies produced by some bumblebees (240–405 Hz), frequency has a modest effect on pollen release (De Luca et al., 2013).Dec 26, 2018

interesting science... for pollen not sure about tricromes but I guess its similar

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts