What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pure Thai Sativas

Stocktont

Veteran
the psychoactive ones are still out and about… not all ”thais” are the same but some are really good… here’s some of the latest ones that wowed me. Old phone with shitty cam but you might get the idea… old flavors and mind-spanking effects!

KW thai.jpeg

KW thai...jpeg

KW thai......jpeg

KW dark mom thai.jpeg

Old Uncle Ben

THE Uncle Ben ?
Wasent the guy who first pereserve the Dalat (2004 ascension) called Uncle Ben?

I guess that could be you.
Great fan of Vietnamese here.
have read about your Friend singing like a drunk in your Backyard from smoking Dlat, the old world Landraces( old Icmag reports are much fun to read-

At your service.

I'm posting at the new, revised OG too. https://overgrow.com/t/doing-the-root-pruning-thing-again-this-time-with-microkote/98490/34 Am playing with indicas. Small time grows. I smoke very little compared to my daze in the 60's. Actually smoked way too much back then, and took too much acid. Some of that pot came with some paranoia, not fun.

Anyone remember "Cruz"? Lived in Santa Cruz. I sent him some Dalat. Took forever to bloom but once it did it went nuts. Grew so big he had to remove his greenhouse roof LOL.

CruzDalat#4.jpeg
CruzDalat.jpeg

As an aside, just because folks talk up a region doesn't mean that you're going to get some genetics that are potent or have characteristics you like. That's why I'm trusting Ace Seeds, Dubi. There are too many anecdotal blurbs suggesting they are really good at what they do, which is preserving great genetics and improving on them over time.

Regards,
Uncle Ben

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
imo , the best thai was in the late 60's, to the early (very early) 70's - by 73 and on, it just wasn't the same- the farmers probably heard about this weed called indica, and that indica farmers were getting 4-5 crops a year vs the '2' they were getting - and once a sativa is hit with indica pollen the ballgame is over- no matter how many generations u go out, once they comingle, its in the dna forever...

goingrey

imo , the best thai was in the late 60's, to the early (very early) 70's - by 73 and on, it just wasn't the same- the farmers probably heard about this weed called indica, and that indica farmers were getting 4-5 crops a year vs the '2' they were getting - and once a sativa is hit with indica pollen the ballgame is over- no matter how many generations u go out, once they comingle, its in the dna forever...
Or then there was no change in the genetics but demand went through the roof and quality didn't scale up with more production.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Or then there was no change in the genetics but demand went through the roof and quality didn't scale up with more production.
sounds more logical ,
not like those old farmers could order some indica over the internet ,
'the thai farmers werent getting 2 crops a season in any case as was suggested either,
those sativas just dont do that ...

Airloom

Veteran
72E33790-AC4A-4FD7-AD35-D341B5E1D739.jpeg

I’ve been looking for some sort of guidance on whether this pipe dream of possibly growing cannabis like the Thai weed I got in 1976/1977 in Laguna Beach Califórnia is even faintly possible.

I cannot recall where I found the reference to this book but I got a copy and it’s been quite interesting. It’s off topic I’m sure but just wanted to mention it.

I’m in agreement regarding opiated Thai sticks (nay) and many of the other comments here.

I’m only half way through but it’s been much more helpful than the memories of a 19 year old transplant from back east. Evidently that old saying if I’d known then what I know now…..🕳️

I was in the right place at the right time, but in the wrong line of work…….
It still was the best year of my life (what I can remember anyway)
Perhaps I’ll start another thread after I finish it….

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
View attachment 18806094
I’ve been looking for some sort of guidance on whether this pipe dream of possibly growing cannabis like the Thai weed I got in 1976/1977 in Laguna Beach Califórnia is even faintly possible.
it may be possible however,
if you remember it is from a tropical climate ,
and if you want to replicate something that came from a tropical climate ,
then you need something at least similar ,
i dont know where you want to grow thai weed of course ,
but if you keep in mind its from the tropics and out of its climate will never be as good ,
then at least you can work on it from that angle i guess ...

Airloom

Veteran
it may be possible however,
if you remember it is from a tropical climate ,
and if you want to replicate something that came from a tropical climate ,
then you need something at least similar ,
i dont know where you want to grow thai weed of course ,
but if you keep in mind its from the tropics and out of its climate will never be as good ,
then at least you can work on it from that angle i guess ...
TY @Donald Mallard you break it down respond point by point with encouragement.

I agree there are limits to what one can reasonably expect when it comes to reproducing anything grown outside its native “terroir”….

“It may be possible however”

That’s why I visit here.

The real benefit of this thread for me lately has been the high level of interest in non-growing type Thai information; the subtle things about Thai cannabis and its culture.

Obviously it’s subjective and can lead to misunderstandings but for me the history and culture are integral to what I call my quest or attempt to grow Thai cannabis. I look forward to reading anything that offers insights or opinions about the whole experience.

Many members have posted their subjective experiences or opinions here and most have validated my own. I stopped smoking years ago precisely because the quality declined and the true Sativa’s became so scarce. I have found some solace in the book “Thai Stick” if only because it provided some historical context I’d been unaware of. It made clear the how’s and why’s of the Indica invasion.

None of this is meant to be divisive or an ad for the book or off topic. My ability to grow cannabis is connected to my ability to understand cannabis. FWIW

I have no doubt that the effects I am searching for are still about in some strain or plant. I have found proof of that on this forum. I cribbed strains and seed sources from everyone here. I now have to decide where to start. I’m still unsure but leaning towards the ThaiA5 if only for the consistently positive discussions here and the generous advice/guidance offered by @dubi among many others.

I think it’s fair to say dropping some beans of Mullum2step or NH21xMM as my first attempt is NOT a great idea. Actually my first attempt was (Highland Lao Realseedco) embarrassing enough in terms of results but priceless in terms of actual experience or knowledge acquired. I can deal with the embarrassment so long as I keep adjusting and learning from my mistakes.

I am very excited to make my first serious attempt this year. I have to thank everyone on ICMag, especially those growing or knowing the pure sativa Thai.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Honestly, I think it's difficult to grow a tropical sativa like Thai strains in non-tropical latitudes...
One year is great, and the next year the same strain produces few buds...
And even in the best years the product does not come close to things grown "on site"...
I found NH21 x MM to be something close to a Thai effect but a little easier to grow....
Just my opinion....