What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pure Thai Sativas

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have RSC Highland Lao 2 and Lao Gold up next, Angus compared them to Thai stick. Mango Thai is not to be missed. I am sure they will restock soon. Thai stick is where you find it these days, not in Thailand so much anymore. hehe

OldCoolSativa

Can anyone here tell me when the best time to visit southeast Asia would be relative to traditional harvest time at 18-20 degrees north? I want to plan an weed hunting adventure and I'd like to know the best time of year to visit and maybe see weed nearing ready for harvest. Thanks in advance.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Its probably around feb/march , 5 to 6 months from the end of their monsoon ,
as far as i know they plant toward or at the end of the monsoon ,
the plants grow from seed to harveset in around 5 or 6 months ,
from memory the wet season finishes at the end of september ,
there might be some variation to those times , but it would be close ,
im in the southern hemisphere , so sometimes its hard to fathom seasons in the northern hemisphere ,, lol ...

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Took a while to read through all these pages. I thank all the contributors with knowledge and pictures.
15 years ago I wouldn't even have dreamed of growing Thai genetics. Now for the foreseeable future I'm climbing into the Thai rabbit hole.
Environmental controls and genetics selections have brought so much opportunity to northern growers. Mario of Delicatessen did so much for sativa lovers without the introduction of Ruderalis in his work.

I'm very interested in following these same principles with Thai genetics and a very unique Hawaiian IBL. I expect to learn a great deal through this endeavor in the coming years.
. I'm also excited to share my years of soil research and the refinement of Fungal Repositories. Merry Christmas to all of the icmag family.
Peace farmerlion

LostTribe

Premium user
Angus has a new offering from Central Laos in the Vietienne Province which he is saying is equal or better to the Mango Thai. Anybody running this? Thoughts?

Kasi

Genetics: Traditional Lao – Thai Ganja Domesticate (“Landrace”)
Sourcing: The Real Seed Company, Laos, Southeast Asia, 2021
Purpose: Ganja (seedless or lightly seeded buds)
Latitude: 19° N
Regional Harvest: late December to early January
Height: 2 – 4 metres
Characteristics: Rich powerful aromas; lots of resin; intense, luminous high; Sativa-type architecture
Grow Type: Greenhouse or outdoors

A classic Lao – Thai ganja cultivar from the heart of old-school ‘Tai’ cannabis culture, Central Laos. Together with northern Isan, this region is the epicentre of the richly aromatic bud once sold using underground brands such as ‘Thai stick’ and ‘Thai Buddha’.

Ganja is a traditional household plant and crop of ethnic Lao villages, as well as cultivated by highland tribes under instruction from and contract to Thai brokers.

First-class ganja equal to or better than the popular accession we named Mango Thai.

NOTE: All ‘Kasi’ packs are on ‘Buy 1 Get 1 Free’ as of 30/12/2021.

djonkoman

Veteran
I got the kasi (but for breeding, I don't grow indoors, and I don't have the right climate for it. so no smoke reports from me), but so far not a lot of luck on germination.
tried 4 seeds so far, 2 without cracking and 2 with cracking the seed. the last 2 went into the dirt 21-2 and still nothing, so not a lot of hope those will still come.

LostTribe

Premium user
I got the kasi (but for breeding, I don't grow indoors, and I don't have the right climate for it. so no smoke reports from me), but so far not a lot of luck on germination.
tried 4 seeds so far, 2 without cracking and 2 with cracking the seed. the last 2 went into the dirt 21-2 and still nothing, so not a lot of hope those will still come.

Thats unfortunate maybe why they are doing 2 for 1.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
I used to have a massive collection of Thai stick style weed seeds,,, ,, all different types of colour strings,,, most was in a Cobb fashion,,,but I bet they weren't real deal Thai stick ,,don't think I've seen real deal Thai stick for years,,,

Unfortunately I lost the seeds I had collected,,,most of the weed smelled of chocolate or coffee,,, might have made a nice cross ,,, I love the old chocolope from 06,,,is chocolate diesel made with Thai,,,the cookies has a nice chocolate flavour in the background too,,,, love love love that chocolate flavour in weed,,,shame I lost them seeds, taming it might have been fun

thats pity Rick... I love chocolate flavor weed so much!

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
beauty!!!!:groupwave:

not sure why it is not visible?

fetch

fetch

fetch

beautiful pics from Dirtboy, puna greenhouse. RESPECT!!! it is same thai which is offered by ACE seeds, am I right?

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
If I bought some thai stick I'd get 100s again, its a weird brick weed , still available in Amsterdam,, I wonder what it really is it's got string all over it

pretty sure its laos ricky,
sounds like it ,,, probably grow ok stuff , but be very sativa , not unlike the old thai stick ,
its quite possibly related given the locations and exchanges across that river ...

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
yeah, it seems like consensus that todays weed from Laos and Thailand is lower quality compared to thai weed from early 70s... somebody found something comparable in seeds which were collected recently?

fetch

I think I'm growing a female plant of D9 Labs Mekong Haze. I've kept it for over a year now. It's slightly hermie but those who know, know why I'm holding onto it. This is a classic green Thai phenotype in my opinion. Narrow leaves, 5 month flowering time, lemon carrot and tea tree oil smells and a sharp motivating effect. I think this phenotype lived on in the more remote parts of Cambodia better than in the commercial hotspots further north.

SamS Thai was a purple one I think. The Viet-Lao that was sold years ago by RSC is a pure purple highland Laotian in my experience. Much more oldschool looking than some of the more contemporary Laotian offerings.

These are the ones I know of. I have no idea how these selections would compare with the Thai of old in terms of quality and potency but the genetics are still here.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
well Thule, right in this thread, there are guys who grew todays genetics and say it is nice. sharp motivating is nice for sure. and warm happy up high is nice too.

but if you read this thread from beginning you can read that few guys(included mr. skunkman) stated that quality went down, mainly thanks to US Army and DEA actions in the area...

sharp motivating is not that characteristics you can read about thais from 70s, it is more super potent 8 hours high. racy cold sweat nervous scary, hot flushes, high coming in waves, roller coaster and psychedelic. some reported even narcotic.

I know that it is stable only in its native environment and you grew it under artificial lights, so it is not super potent, but that characteristics should be there.

I am personally reluctant to grow 30 females - they can be really big - for like 20 weeks +, then curing it like 6 months - tons of work and to find only nice uplifting warm happy high.

some say you need like 50 females to find that psychedelic weed, but what I see reports of chang mai thai, red thai or mango thai, is that it is nice mild smoke. so I am interested in hearing if somebody found that scary cold 8 hours high one.

for example Kanga found one strong one in 20 females of GN thai stick. but said, that first it is nice happy active and needs curing to be strong trippy long lasting. so I know it is there in GN thai stick.

goingrey

Quite recently some guy (who has since got banned) posted buds of "Chocolate Thai" with an 8 hour high: https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijuana-growing/cannabis-hash-smoke-reports/18018618-chocalate-thai

Who knows, maybe it really is still around?

Chocolate Thai was mentioned in DJ Short's articles Strains of Yesteryear and General Irregularities/Anomalies of Cannabis Relating to Transgressive Segregation, and the Cypress Hill song Funk Freakers. DJ's articles can be found here: https://www.icmag.com/forum/icmag-v...t-and-legends-seeds/133421-dj-s-articles-info

romanoweed

well Thule, right in this thread, there are guys who grew todays genetics and say it is nice. sharp motivating is nice for sure. and warm happy up high is nice too.

but if you read this thread from beginning you can read that few guys(included mr. skunkman) stated that quality went down, mainly thanks to US Army and DEA actions in the area...

sharp motivating is not that characteristics you can read about thais from 70s, it is more super potent 8 hours high. racy cold sweat nervous scary, hot flushes, high coming in waves, roller coaster and psychedelic. some reported even narcotic.

I know that it is stable only in its native environment and you grew it under artificial lights, so it is not super potent, but that characteristics should be there.

Yes, nice someone finds out that fact and has read the early pages of Icamg..

However, it may or may not be the Lights and the unnative enviroment that changes Thai to modern Thain..
Doesent make sense if you believe Sam Skunkman who says in Thailand itselve it changed.. right?

The reason for the change , and it seemed to change in Thailand itselve, is unknown.. I can gues if you want. Probably its the prohibition as a major factor, prohbition lead the people to not grow sweet buds in peace, instead leads them to rudimentally open pollinate some reandom plant, WITHOUT SELECTION.. so the stuff reverts back to a raw kindof wild Cannabis.. hence the IMHO unpleasant speedy paranoid Qualitites..

And if People grow it here, thats a comparably small problem if Lights are artificial.. The problem is rather when we reproduce it.. Bodhi stated lately that even in the first generation Thai grown here, a Change happens, Stuff changes pretty decent in qualitite..

Of corse hybridisation may also play a rule, but i tend to think peoples under Deathpenalt-threats usually cant care nomore for anything.. Try to not be seen around the plants, trow few seeds into ground.. wait..and leave it till harvest..
Also i found (i was a bit icmag abstinent) a couple more Correlations between TRIBES and good Quality Weed.
I could imagine these harsch laws especially erradicate traditional usage, knowledge, and so forth first.. Tribes were often more into psychedelic excursions than anyone other.. and the famous Thaistick, aswell as the famous Vietnames, acording my latest reserch comes from Tribes, or Tribeterretory..

Imho its obvious.. I see old Pics of Thai, Viet, Mexican from the past, and the buds look OBVIOUSLY different.. .. old Strains had often, not always coloration..

Thanks for listening.

Old is gold, and its time someone opens his treasure chest , and then it needs to be reproduced acurratly, under as original conditions as possible.. yes modern stuff is not the same.. Its quiet ok.. thats about it.. the paranoia and stress makes me a bit unerved every time.. Its also pretty psychedelic, yes, but comes with a price of like said.. nervous energy.. i grew one modern strain.. never again,, gave it away after 10 Trips. Knew it from the start..
nothing to keep imho.

ALL my oppinion.
Never say never. its generalized..

Latest posts

Latest posts