What's new

Pure Thai Sativas

bushweed

Veteran
1977 cont.
picture.php

Elmer Bud said:
She taught Wal and I a few Thai smoking etiquettes eg . The bong should measure from the point of the elbow to the extended little finger . Anatomically it relates to the distance from the diaphragm and the tip of the nose ! lol .
picture.php

A shipment ready for export to the US, but wait a sec, check the address in the shot after...
picture.php

picture.php

This is what the US embassy staff in Bangkok were using for mattresses on at the time...
picture.php

idiit

Veteran
us and british government heavily involved in drug smuggling since the "opium wars".

^^ pretty much uncontested truthful statement.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Thanks for those amazing flicks! Gotta love those oldschool pictures from Thailand and the embassy shipping... damn, that's hardcore indeed!

I wish I could ride my Delorean 3000 and ride back into those days! Good job! ;)

Vibes.

P.S: I've just found a cool video about the surf smugglers of the 60s and a recently released book that sounds pretty interesting too:

[YOUTUBEIF]j6goSz92Ii8[/YOUTUBEIF]

Last edited:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Holy Crap!

What a great series of pictures. Look how green and gold they look when being packaged. By the time they came our way, they were golden brown, although green colors could be seen on close inspection.

I had a close friend go to Jamaica in the early 70's. Jamaican hash, made using rum and had seeds in it, was smuggled back in a "boom box". But he also brought back a couple of lengths of bamboo, one fat one, and one the thickness of a finger. He used it to make a bong like the one in that picture. Apparently, this was the customary method of smoking in Jamaica also. From then on, we switched from smoking using water pipes, on occasion, to smoking from bongs. He also started rolling joints in a cone shaped fashion. One end being real fat, while the other end was relatively skinny. That never really caught on with us. It took too much skill, or too much paper.

Thanks Bushy, for the best Thai Stick series of pictures I have ever seen. I'm going to Google Earth to find Chiang Mai right away.
:biggrin:

ThaiBliss

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
us and british government heavily involved in drug smuggling since the "opium wars".

^^ pretty much uncontested truthful statement.

The Opium wars were to stop the (British) trade in Opium, they did not start it, nor was it smuggling, it was open trade.

"Prior to the conflict Chinese officials wished to end the spread of opium, and confiscated around 20,000 chests of opium (approximately 1.21 million kilograms or 2.66 million lb)[4] from British traders. The British government, although not officially denying China's right to control imports of the drug, objected to this seizure and used its military power to enforce violent redress"

bushweed

Veteran
Look lush there Hmong. I've been doing some reading and it seems that "Miao" is a Chinese term used to describe all of the various hill tribe people of southern China and the Golden Triangle region, including the Hmong tribe. There is a derogatory connotation to the term in the minds of most hill tribes, since it is used by the Han Chinese in a xenophobic context, in much the same way as 'alien' or 'ferengi' is used.

namkha said:
one other thing - this talk of "Koh Chang Thai" or "Koh Samui Thai" being strains is nonsense if you ask me - as with the business of ACE Seeds (I am not meaning this to be an attack on ACE at all) having a strain called "Meo Thai"

whoever told them that "Meo" were growing the ganja was probably not being straight - "Meo' is really rude - it's a word for highland people like the Hmong - and it is not different from calling an African a "nigger" - it's like calling "Swazi Red" "Nigger Swazi"... I say this as someone who dated a "Meo" woman for about three years

it's possible that Hmong were growing ACE's "Meo Thai" strain, but it's not clear to me where the strain will have come from - there is a lot of Hmong ganja growing in central Laos, possibly in highland north Thailand too, which would be my guess

Despite what namkha says, there are hill tribes who do refer to themselves as 'Miao' and cultivate cannabis. Here is a plant from the White Meo tribe near Chiang Mai, with one of Elmer's girlfriends...
picture.php

While I'm here I might as well stick up a pic of my Walking stick Thai, since it reminds me of those Vietnamese on the previous page...
picture.php

tiphat.gif

Last edited:

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G`day Bushie

Ah Khun Noy .
She`s a good NW girl . Not like the bad girls from over in the East . he he .

One girl I spent some time traveling with, at first told me Gan cha was bad . Ooh very baaad .
I took the time to explain that was US brain washing . And that Thai folks had used Gan cha as medicine for 1000s of years . I asked is the US government wiser than 100s of generations of Thai people ? That got her thinking .
A few days later she was suffering with PMT .
I told her the Gan cha was a natural remedy . So she took a small toke from my Farang bong [ juice bottle with garden hose ] . The next day she asked if it was ok to have some more . As it had given relief from the pain .
I couldn`t believe I was in the home of cannabis teaching locals of the benefits !!

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Hmong

Veteran
Look lush there Hmong.
thank you

they are finally accepting the soil and it also seems that the mykorhizza works.
now they start to shoot out like wild. If they stay like that i'm gonna flip them this weekend. finally^^
I also took some cuttings.

I'm always appreciating your background stories, very interesting read.

Elmer Bud too of course
biggrin.gif

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G`day Bushie

I did some googling ...
Ever heard of Long Chien Laos ?
There was a secret US airforce base there . 400 flights a day in its hey day .
The CIA were arming "Hmong" folks as freedom fighters against communist forces in nth Laos . Using Long Chien as a staging area .

At one point US forces bombed Laos every 4 minutes .Carpet bombing 3km by 1 km strips . US forces dropped more bombs in Laos than the allies dropped on Germany and Japan combined .
At the same time the US president denied there were US forces in Laos ??

Unexploded ordinance still kills and maims to this day .
Don`t think I`ll be going strain hunting up there .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

T

Terps

Them photos are superb bushweed thanks for sharing them mate! Gives us youngens an idea of what it must of been like back then, makes me wish i grew up in the 70's!!

T

Terps

Quoting Namkha, who has travelled quite extensively in the area:

"for people who are interested in the geography/ethnobotany of Thai/Lao strains:

far as I can see there are two main centres of quality ganja growing within the Middle Mekong region - with the area of Northern Isan around Nakhon Phanom and the neighbouring bank of the Mekong in Lao PDR being the most famous region

there is a very distinctive strain type from around NP, which is what most people would recognise as classic "Thai"

the strain type RSC has been offering under various names ("Mekong", "Red Thai", "Mango Thai" etc.) comes from slightly further north and west in the same Middle Mekong region - you will see it exported into and out of Thailand, but to find it at source it is easiest to look around the Vientiane Plain and northwards into Lao PDR

(the other quality Thai growing region being the Shan/Tai Yai areas of Northern Thailand and Burma - but these are different strains, even closer to the chinensis genepool I reckon, the ones offered as Highland Thai)"

"I think I know what people mean by "Chocolate Thai" - but I am not sure I know what people mean when they refer to "Lowland Thai" --- ganja I have seen farmers in lowland regions of Thailand growing is the same strain type you will see e.g on places like Koh Chang - i.e. they are all Isan "Middle Mekong" strains as far as I can tell."

So i guess you could say it's the northern part of the triangle where the Thai stick type (if you can call it that) is grown, north eastern Thailand and Laos.

In northern Vietnam the plant grows wild and looks like this

View Image

Hi mate is the "classic thai" type pretty common around Nakhon phanom or is it abit of a hunt and would it be the same type as what would be found in vientien? How about the luang prubang type i hear about is it different to what can be found in vientien or the same?

Im actually in udon thani atm and know people in both vientien and NP so i think i feel a road trip coming on!

cheers

bushweed

Veteran
G`day Bushie

I did some googling ...
Ever heard of Long Chien Laos ?
There was a secret US airforce base there . 400 flights a day in its hey day .
The CIA were arming "Hmong" folks as freedom fighters against communist forces in nth Laos . Using Long Chien as a staging area .

At one point US forces bombed Laos every 4 minutes .Carpet bombing 3km by 1 km strips . US forces dropped more bombs in Laos than the allies dropped on Germany and Japan combined .
At the same time the US president denied there were US forces in Laos ??

Unexploded ordinance still kills and maims to this day .
Don`t think I`ll be going strain hunting up there .

It's as simple as this; in Vietnam they refer to the 'Vietnam War' more aptly as the 'American War'...the war museum in Saigon is something to behold if you're into humbling experiences.

Hi mate is the "classic thai" type pretty common around Nakhon phanom or is it abit of a hunt and would it be the same type as what would be found in vientien? How about the luang prubang type i hear about is it different to what can be found in vientien or the same?

Im actually in udon thani atm and know people in both vientien and NP so i think i feel a road trip coming on!

cheers

Hi mate, I think you'll find subtle differences in strain types if you are asking the right people i.e. if your friends have connections to local growers. All the old Australians and Americans who went through Thailand in the 70s describe it as a mecca of strains in the same way as Mexico or Colombia were, within an umbrella of a few broader genotypes. While that sort of diversity is not there anymore, I think you will still find differences in different regions.

Please dont use "Thai" as a generic term to describe one strain of cannabis.

The variety of weed that came out of Thailand, Burma, Laos & Cambodia is just fucking amazing from short term to long term plants from ultra skinnny leaves to wide... feathery heads to heads that are over a meter long & as fat as your leg.

I have grown a lot different strains from Thailand & her Bordering Neighbours.

I dealt 100's of lbs of weed back in the late 70's to 1982 most came from the formentioned countries. I collected many Milo cans of seed & gave them out freely to anyone who wanted any to grow. I also grew many 100,000's myself.

Here's one you probably won't see anymore, a three leafed Thai, that grows 20 feet in every direction, but with flowers so wispy, it only yields half a pound...
picture.php

Last edited:

Hmong

Veteran
5 days passed and no more pics of lovely sativas?

cant't be :dance013:

HH flowering day 5

picture.php
picture.php

as you can see i have some pH issue in my soil.
I'm brewing a tea already, tomorrow I'm goin to fix that.
but this sulfur deficiency has some advantage of restricting them a little in the growth atm. it would indeed help a lot if they dont get too tall, I'm not chasing yields at all.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
That Hmong Hilltribe reminds me of the Real Seed Co Mekong variety. Do you know if it's the same strain? I know BC highland Thai is originally from Real Seed Co and I think it's the Thai/Burmese boarder Thai they offered first, but where does the HH orginate from?

Bushy, what's the origin of the three leaf Thai? Is it potent too?

Hmong

Veteran
That Hmong Hilltribe reminds me of the Real Seed Co Mekong variety. Do you know if it's the same strain? I know BC highland Thai is originally from Real Seed Co and I think it's the Thai/Burmese boarder Thai they offered first, but where does the HH orginate from?

yesterday I realized that BC is active again. now they have their own site, no more reseller.

breeders-choice.org

Everything is back in stock, this makes my intend of preserving this line pretty senseless anyhow.

on their site it says:

Name:
Hmong Hilltribe
Type: Sativa Pure
Genotype: Hmong Tibe - Thailand/Laos highland border regions
Breeder: Breeders Choice
Collected in Situ

so it is native

Latest posts

Latest posts