What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pure Thai Sativas

islandpreservation

Thanks, yeah I had heard that area, where the mekong river running through the Isan region, was the terroir driven super smoke. Also about the hmong inhabitants of that region being the maestro cultivators. Is anyone aware of the curing methods that these hill tribes used ? Some magical fermentation curing involved i would imagine.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
thai sticks and indonesia weed

thai sticks and indonesia weed

i was in 1981 almost 4 months traveling in South East Asia.
The thai sticks were wonderful.
But the absolute topweed existed in Indonesia, in Sumatra.
In tuktuk I got a little of the legendary tripping grass, much appreciated by the hippies.
With seeds that were very small oval and bright
The effect was really overwhelming.
Much stronger than thai grass and very especially, very trippy.
We really had the feeling to reality at times completely lost, it was like being on another planet :)
The leaves of the plants were dark green and not so thin as thai grass.
The flowering time was significantly shorter, but there were certainly pure sativa.
Okay 10 years later
In the early 90s there was a coffeeshop in Rotterdam that sold different kind of import weed like Phillipines, Thailand, Jamaica, but also from Indonesia.
I read in an Indonesian document that the Dutch brought seeds to Aceh in the 19th century.The people over there recognized the plant, so it was there before, probably brought by traders from India looking for spices.The Dutch used the Cannabis plants as repellent plants against caterpillars for their coffee plantations in the Gayo mountains.

mexcurandero420

Veteran
these are pure thai ,
an old variety we obtained from central thailand ...

picture.php
G'day
Howzit? What kind of aroma had these bushes you were growing before the cure and after?How was the high effect?You are still growing these Thai genetics?

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
G'day
Howzit? What kind of aroma had these bushes you were growing before the cure and after?How was the high effect?You are still growing these Thai genetics?
hey mex ,
this was so many years ago now i can barefly recall to be honest ,
only that they had a typically thai sort of aroma that i am yet to compare with a smell we are well versed with,
and also that my ability fo discern and dissect aromas is not as good as some others ,
next time i smell it ill do a better job though ...
one guy i had given quite a bit of weed to said this was some of the better stuff i had given him after it was cured ,
so definiltely had potential ,
its the same seed i sent to a member here , who reproduced them and shared them around with the tag , hmong thai ,
and from what i have seen its been appreciated ...

mexcurandero420

Veteran
hey mex ,
this was so many years ago now i can barefly recall to be honest ,
only that they had a typically thai sort of aroma that i am yet to compare with a smell we are well versed with,
and also that my ability fo discern and dissect aromas is not as good as some others ,
next time i smell it ill do a better job though ...
one guy i had given quite a bit of weed to said this was some of the better stuff i had given him after it was cured ,
so definiltely had potential ,
its the same seed i sent to a member here , who reproduced them and shared them around with the tag , hmong thai ,
and from what i have seen its been appreciated ...
Interesting still have a Hmong Thai hybrid in my collection.My favourite coffeeshop in the 90s in Rotterdam always sold minty Thai.It only contained a few seeds most of time, but was always a good smoke, but never found it again unfortunately.
Pre 2010 Mama Thai from Seedsman was another one with a strong high.Fresh dried it had a lemony aroma but after a longer cure it had a more woody aroma.Unfortunately nowadays crossed with Skunk, but before 2010 you could find 18+ weeks phenotypes with nld leaves.

romanoweed

tive seen those mama thai pics aswell, they were in an album of an Icmag grower, and looking almost like pure (i say that , knowing the genetics are officially thai x skunk, but they looked thaaat thin in an earlyer years).
very good smokereports too at first.. lovely almost black hues

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
This is very sad ! All those young thai guys who think Gelato Blabla skunk is any better than their ancestral Thai sticks :( Kind of like thinking McDonald's Cesar Salad is better than papaya salad :sick: !!!
yes its a terrible thought ,
who knows , maybe the future will turn out ok ,
we know whats best ,, its up to us to guide them ,
ill take the papaya salad everytime ,, extra spicy thanks ..

TheDarkStorm

Yeah I saw that Green House video a few days ago on Youtube, yeah, kind of makes a guy's skin crawl. Boy, is that how Thailand will finally go down fully and completely to the globalist slave system that encoraches all sundry everywhere with each passing day, by turning in to a giant cannbis farm under a Bucky ball dome? Who woulda thunk? Tho' I've been in Thailand for the last 25 years and I would expect nothing less than for Thais to jump at flashy new imported cannabis strains and other exotica (exotic for them of course) and forget their heritage, at least for a good long while anyway, till maybe its a bit too late as we're always saying over here, it doesn't help to close the barn door days after your prize horses have bolted. Its that way with music, historical buildings, traditional arts, traditional medicine, spirituality etc. They really don't like anything thats old or traditional here, or the vast majority don't anyway, until they suddenly think they should do cause someone else does.

That said, I think there are more concrete threats to the national pot party, than say the likes of the arrival of their blond dreadlocked eminences the Muftis of Amsterdamabad, actual threats like Pheua Thai winning a majority in the elections, which for those who are unfamiliar is the twice military coup ousted Thaksin Shinawatra's party and he himself seems to be set to roll back in with impuniy most likely from his London or Montenegrin or perhaps Dubai or Hong Kong exile before too long, not sure and don;t care to be honest where he went with his pilfered billions, but his very popular party were quite the puritanical firebrand bunch and already one of their main clowns, the massage brothel mogul Chuwit is holding anti-ganja rallies. They may well be starting where they left off when they were run out of town last time. I don't actually think they'll succeed at completely reversing legalization, but they will no doubt not be too happy with whats happened in their 10 year absences with all of this cannabis exploding all over the country and the lords of Green House Seeds should be wary, Thaksin's own telecommunications company came about when he as national police chief used his position to confiscate the entirety of an American owned telecom startup. I would not be too terribly surprised if he does a repeat and just snatches up Green Seeds' operations and a few others amidst cloudbursts and bluster along the lines of, this weed belongs to Thailand! Unless they are serious international bangsters or other heavy hitters which they may well be or unless they are willng to pay some much heftier fees in their brown envelopes.

Still I think theres lots of scope for traditional Thai weeds existing into the future. As we all well know, so many westerners and other foreigners here and abroad are interested in authentic SE Asian sativas and wanting some other options from what legal weed and dispensery weed has been dropping on us for a while now. The way I see it, some people like bubble gum pop and some people like 3 hour acid rock grooves or noise jazz freak outs others like folk music others like classical western or Hindustani music, cannabises are the same, there are many niches and styles that seem promising. Many tourists come here wanting something authentically Thai and that goes for what they smoke here, that interest would in turn help locals to appreciate anew their own wide and incredbly varying local cannbises and cultures. They may be impacted and fade for awhile but I don't think Thai-stic or what have you is going to be replace by glue-stic or Green House or Dutch Queen, so eventually I think there will be some loosening of the kind of stranglehold we are seeing here lately with imported weed and locally grown imported weed strains.

Thais are very nationalistic as well and I think real Thai weed may have more appeal to them in the future, not to mention a lot of people cannot afford to buy or grow even tent grown weed especially with all the chemicals you're encouraged to buy to do your own grows. There is the added cost here of having to air condition your grow room and dehumidify it not to mention your curing process. Growing western strains unless they can cope with the heat and humidity is an incrdibly frivolous proposition here unless i suppose you can make it cost effective as Green House seeds probably have and grow on a titanic scale.

And I might remind you too, if you think Thai sticks are all washed up, as you all mostly well know too, theres good seed banks doing a good job of making lots of old classic Thai and SE Asian strains available to any one with interest like Real Seeds and Zomia and I'm sure there are others. So, for myself, I am not worried, I'm pretty sure i will be able to continue to enjoy old school Thai and SE Asian and even Latin American sativa weeds which I am interested in.

I saw that one online vendor here geared towards expats and tourists is now offering Lao Gold brick at 4 oz's for about 100 dollars and an unpsecified Cambodian variety for about 125 dollars for 4 ozs. A post I saw in a thread called Thai Stick or something similar on a popular local web forum ASEAN NOW, in their cannbis discussion section, showed some pics of Thai stick fresh off the bean stalk alledegedly from Sakhon Nakorn that the guy very recently got for 50 cents a gram if I recall correctly. Sakorn Nakorn is very back woods, so they may be slower to come under the bootheel of the Dutch plantation owners, before we're all turned to red and white striped pajama wearing pickninnies and bare foot tap dances and whooppins for bein bad bud tenders and bud cotton ball pickers but I think also too Thai people's conservatism particularly way out here over yonder, you'll have plenty of local stick in the mud stoner farmers who ain't gonna go for no fancy pants frou frou bud even if they can get their hands on somethin they can grow outside next to the pig sty without too much of a worry it just won't taste that good with the local throat and sinus blistering lao khao 80 percent.

I know quite afew tourists and researchers out there.....they are smoking some of the native thai strains (aswell as many others)grown outdoors under the sun and they are saying the quality is crap and they are fetching the lowest prices...especially compared to the indoor stuff grown with well bred strains or outdoors well bred elite stuff......the outdoors native strains are the cheepest on the menus and wen brought people are having to put a whole leep in just to get a mild very low quality to high......so whats causing this....its those same genetics everyone keeps saying is the proper stuff not just one type its all over the country with different native types...and when we in the west are growing it and saying its no were near as good as some of the best in the past we have plenty people saying watch how good it is grown in Thailand, under the thai sun and in the thai soil.....but ever one is saying its wack compared to some of the stuff out there that coming in and being put together.....can anyone find me anywere that has elite pure thais that are strong as anything and are fetching top top prices out there ? They are even going as far as adding western strains to the native stuff to increase quality and strength.....some of what people know as squirrel tail and mango out there now already has had Afghan bred into it...and things like bruce banner....can anyone show me high quality potent pure native stuff out there....that is know as grade aaa please....what is the cause of this..?

StickyBandit

I know quite afew tourists and researchers out there.....they are smoking some of the native thai strains (aswell as many others)grown outdoors under the sun and they are saying the quality is crap and they are fetching the lowest prices...especially compared to the indoor stuff grown with well bred strains or outdoors well bred elite stuff......the outdoors native strains are the cheepest on the menus and wen brought people are having to put a whole leep in just to get a mild very low quality to high......so whats causing this....its those same genetics everyone keeps saying is the proper stuff not just one type its all over the country with different native types...and when we in the west are growing it and saying its no were near as good as some of the best in the past we have plenty people saying watch how good it is grown in Thailand, under the thai sun and in the thai soil.....but ever one is saying its wack compared to some of the stuff out there that coming in and being put together.....can anyone find me anywere that has elite pure thais that are strong as anything and are fetching top top prices out there ? They are even going as far as adding western strains to the native stuff to increase quality and strength.....some of what people know as squirrel tail and mango out there now already has had Afghan bred into it...and things like bruce banner....can anyone show me high quality potent pure native stuff out there....that is know as grade aaa please....what is the cause of this..?
TLTSeeds have a few strains in the South East Asian section that look good on paper if you have money to burn :p

TheDarkStorm

TLTSeeds have a few strains in the South East Asian section that look good on paper if you have money to burn :p
Problem is they are mostly all the same stuff being grown out there right now.....I doubt tlrt guy has any special conections that can give him something different to what most of the thai guys in the industry can get and are getting.now.....I agree pretty pricey too...especially for such seeds...they should be getting sold for much lower and in packs of 100 or something.....10 regular seeds at that price isnt going to get anyone very far easily

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
There are still good Thai varieties, somewhere in the country, the problem is that most of the customers want the "cool" goods, trendy names, trendy varieties, it's all the same, isn't it? Anyone remember when NL, Nl5hz, skunk were the best? And do you remember how they quickly became ok but not the best, to give way to superskunk and Widow?
Thai people look to the future, they don't want "the weed of old and grandparents", now there is this Cookies cappuccino kush which is very good, it comes from California and it's really cool!

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Just today I smoked a spliff of Bubblegum mixed with Red Cookies (or something like that); you can understand why these strains are so popular with young people, it's sweet, strong,on the third puff you can feel the effect starting to take you, with the Thai weed I'm almost at the end of the spliff before you feel the high rise…(Of course I fell asleep after a while, with Thai weed I should have done something, walk, watch a documentary, etc.).
It's not a matter of power, it's more, people like McDonald's food more than a steak in a restaurant; is it better or healthier? Of course not, but it's cooler (and faster, another important thing, is the fast generation, always connected, everything fast, immediately,NOW

Just today I smoked a spliff of Bubblegum mixed with Red Cookies (or something like that); you can understand why these strains are so popular with young people, it's sweet, strong,on the third puff you can feel the effect starting to take you, with the Thai weed I'm almost at the end of the spliff before you feel the high rise…(Of course I fell asleep after a while, with Thai weed I should have done something, walk, watch a documentary, etc.).
It's not a matter of power, it's more, people like McDonald's food more than a steak in a restaurant; is it better or healthier? Of course not, but it's cooler (and faster, another important thing, is the fast generation, always connected, everything fast, immediately,NOW
Hi willy I agree with your arguments partly, it is truth is cooler is the fast generation, is the fanciness.
in the other hand If you smoke me or anyone smokes a good thai sativa they fruity taste will send us all triping hard. when I was in thailand kha o lak i was buy some nice fruity nugs rapted in bannana leaves
there are qualities and qualities in the Thai weed.

-SaveTheBrains

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Hi willy I agree with your arguments partly, it is truth is cooler is the fast generation, is the fanciness.
in the other hand If you smoke me or anyone smokes a good thai sativa they fruity taste will send us all triping hard. when I was in thailand kha o lak i was buy some nice fruity nugs rapted in bannana leaves
there are qualities and qualities in the Thai weed.

-SaveTheBrains
I know, in fact I grow and smoke sativas, not Cookies ;)
What I meant (probably in a confused way, I admit) is that everywhere it is like this, even in Jamaica for example, or in other areas of Central America...
A big part of people want "moden" USA strains....

Latest posts

Latest posts