What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PTSD, Exercise and Weed

Hmong

Veteran
so adjusting your pain threshold to cope with it - helps tremendously - if that is possible -

It's possible! but it fucks you up in the head, you become numb to everything.
like I am unable to genuinely cry anymore, after so much physical pain from training & fighting.
now thinking about sharing that picture of my smashed face mhm...
but can't look at it, without feeling something bad.
now years later all is healed, but I still see the image in the mirror.

Amsterdam Errline

Thank you all for this topic i see a lot of things i did needed to found out myself.
We battling PTSD for more then 28 years now we only knowing it for 3 years now that i have this and it did become C-PTSD.

For me helps Tai Chi big time and still try to meditation but the monkey brain is way to busy...
Sound from Dean Evenson helps me at night (those long sleepless night).
I really have a hard time every time my body switch to the survival. mode.. the brain don`t connect with my feeling then and every time the flashback ....
We hope one day we find rest again in the body.

Last edited:

St. Phatty

It's interesting how when people get up in the morning, they don't deliberate about whether or not to answer "Nature's Call". If they have to go #2, they go #2.

BUT I've known a few people who absolutely avoided exercise. Both of them were also diabetic. Their diabetes could have been treated with exercise, but they chose to go for the insulin.

I would say that exercise is as essential as any other body function.

Also I suspect that mild/ limited use of Cannabinoids may be a natural state, for humans.

Can you imagine saying that to a LEO if you get pulled over whilst imbibing ...
"But officer, I'm just returning to the natural state of endo-cannabinoid stimulation that humans have known for millenia."

Nannymouse

Thank you for your kind words they are very helpful. No disrespect to the kids but do any of the kids live with missing limbs and burned flesh, or burn scars on over 48% of their bodies? Blind or deaf from combat trauma and inability to communicate in a seeing or hearing world normally? Do they have nights where they wake up for no reason and can't go back to sleep and do it every single night? Walking around like sleepless zombies every day?

Correct, emotions are impermanent but living with physical handicaps is permanent for as long as we live. Again no disrespect to anyone, but you have no idea what it's like being a prisoner in a broken scared body that can't be fixed. It takes a special kind of determination to do the best we can do to find peace, sometimes it can be a rough journey. Thats why I exercise daily, meditate, and work hard on my attitude and staying in the present moment...Thank you for your post. 😎
Mmmm, Native American kids...some have seen and been through stuff most kids shouldn't. The one mentioned had a dad back from 'the war' that had bad ptsd...it affects the family, too.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Have you ever participated in the daily morning Tai Chi group at about 6th & Fulton in SF ?

Tai Chi has a reputation as a "soft" martial art.

But one of the trainers at USF was into Tai Chi and as potentially dangerous as any Kung Fu person.
No I haven't. Live in Australia so not even sure where 6th and Fulton is?

I started out doing kung fu and all the best in my class also did tai chi, so it was a natural progression. Plus the kung fu I did had an "internal" component. Tai Chi is a martial art, but it takes over a decade at least to get good enough, and even then, you have to be dedicated. I am a prove it to me type person, love science, but there are things my teacher can do that I can't explain. We are same height and weight, but he can throw me across the room with ease, using a soft touch. Alas, I am just not to that standard, and probably never will be, but still happy with the movement and meditation aspect.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I push a lot of stress out of my legs on my bike the same way Gypsy does at the gym. I ride when everyone else is asleep and so I have the whole road to myself. I have small, medium, and long-riding road paths or loops so I know where I'm at any given moment. However, I have gotten mixed up a few times, but I found my way back easy enough. The small loop is 5K and the large loop is 15K and I have my resting spots on the way. I have so much fun night riding, it's like jumping in a lake you swim or sink kind of deal. It is risky but it's way worth it and I recommend everyone get any bike for OLD AGE. Here are some photos from the 10K ride. 😎
IMG_2480.JPG
IMG_2477.JPG
IMG_2475.JPG
IMG_2472.JPG

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Towards the end of last year - I found a terrific and yet very simple/minimal way of exercising the whole body - I had done it on and off for many years before - but the value of The exercise didn't dawn on me till late last year - when I had the use of a great pool - with a deep end - in some fancy hotel - where I could TREAD WATER - in a pool that had a 10ft deep - deep end -

- Most pools these days dont seem to be much deeper than about 3-4 ft - probably for insurance purposes - so it was great to actually find a pool that I could tread water in - (I'm 6ft tall) - then I decided that I would try and stay afloat for one hour - without the aid of inflatables - or holding onto the sides - and it was tough - real tough to make it - for 60 minutes - without stopping/resting - just keeping myself afloat - using just about every muscle in the body to do it - because you have to keep changing the way you manage to keep buoyancy - moving the body forward and back - using alot of arms/legs and core muscles to keep yourself afloat - great cardio workout too - you just have to figure out what the minimal physical action is to stop yourself sinking - or you might be putting a fast exhausting amount of effort into it - and not last the full 60 minutes - you need to pace yourself - and get into a steady breathing pattern - to get enough oxygen - to last -

- This exercise is MUCH more difficult in a fresh water or swimming pool - salt helps buoyancy alot in the sea - so if you train in a swimming pool - it's much easier when you try to tread water - in the sea -

xet

Towards the end of last year - I found a terrific and yet very simple/minimal way of exercising the whole body - I had done it on and off for many years before - but the value of The exercise didn't dawn on me till late last year - when I had the use of a great pool - with a deep end - in some fancy hotel - where I could TREAD WATER - in a pool that had a 10ft deep - deep end -

- Most pools these days dont seem to be much deeper than about 3-4 ft - probably for insurance purposes - so it was great to actually find a pool that I could tread water in - (I'm 6ft tall) - then I decided that I would try and stay afloat for one hour - without the aid of inflatables - or holding onto the sides - and it was tough - real tough to make it - for 60 minutes - without stopping/resting - just keeping myself afloat - using just about every muscle in the body to do it - because you have to keep changing the way you manage to keep buoyancy - moving the body forward and back - using alot of arms/legs and core muscles to keep yourself afloat - great cardio workout too - you just have to figure out what the minimal physical action is to stop yourself sinking - or you might be putting a fast exhausting amount of effort into it - and not last the full 60 minutes - you need to pace yourself - and get into a steady breathing pattern - to get enough oxygen - to last -

- This exercise is MUCH more difficult in a fresh water or swimming pool - salt helps buoyancy alot in the sea - so if you train in a swimming pool - it's much easier when you try to tread water - in the sea -
As someone with a severe back injury, +1 on water exercise

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
As someone with a severe back injury, +1 on water exercise
Ahh - back injuries are a killer for sure - with mine I have found that just resting it forever is not the key to good back health - well as good as I can get it - without having to succumb to having to take loads of pharma drugs - if you rest your back too much - it just atrophies - all the muscles that support the back - get weak - and particularly if you are overweight at the time this compounds the state of weak/atrophied muscle - and results in much more pain -

- 15 months ago - I was 36 kilos overweight - suffering from a weak atrophied back that had a sports injury from the 1990's - in the L1/L2 vertebrae area - getting worse and worse - I couldn't walk 100 meters without stopping in pain - so slowly - gently - I got the gumption up to get back in the pool - and start exercising again - slowly - gently - but every day - without fail - spending at least an hour moving/swimming in water - concentrating on buying the right groceries and cooking/preparing the right meals - to be able to lose around 1kg (2.2lbs) per week - and as the weight came off - my strength and fitness increased - as my back pain decreased -

The back injury will always be there - but due to all the weight loss and increased back strength - the pain from that L1/L2 area of my spine - is only around 10% of what it was just last year - sometimes I hardly notice it -

H e d g e

The one mentioned had a dad back from 'the war' that had bad ptsd...it affects the family, too.
This is a hereditary problem via genetics. There was a study into people who were suffering from ptsd as a result of the twin towers 9/11 situation vs people who were also there but didn’t go on to develop ptsd.
All the people with ptsd had a down regulated endocannabinoid system, it’s this system that should be quickly putting you back into homeostasis (balance) after a trauma, but if you suffer from clinical endocannabinoid deficiency (CED) it stops functioning and you remain in a stress state which is what causes the long term damage.

There are people who are born with a hyper functioning endocannabinoid system (ECS) that never get stressed or ill and it appears to be hereditary.

I believe that if you make the effort to upregulate the ECS with omega 3 and 7, probiotics, prebiotics, cannabinoids, cannabinoid reuptake inhibitors, and exercise in combination with focus you can recover from ptsd/cptsd.
There are loads of other conditions to which this may also apply. I’ve helped people with autism, fibromyalgia, and autoimmune disease using the same method. These conditions and many others are all symptomatic of clinical endocannabinoid deficiency (CED).

Last edited:

H e d g e

Guineesine in black pepper is the only one I’ve found so please let me know if you find any more. Black pepper also contains loads of beta caryophyllene (BCP) which is a much better selective cb2 agonist than cbd because it doesn’t block the cb1 receptor.
Goes well in coffee with a bit of rosemary which is also high in BCP.

I suspect there might be something going on with chilli as well but not found much research apart from it could be the lecithin in the seeds that helps.
Cannabis, raw milk kefir and yoga are what I find help the most.

The list of conditions for which this could help keeps getting longer.. Parkinson’s, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, addiction, irritable bowel disorder, and migraines are just some of the others.

Last edited:

wutwut

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
cycling is way to go! but also i recommend gym training (it's not only lifting weights - it's more like keeping focus and it increases levels of serotonin, dopamine, etc.) what i wish to do daily is meditation, it's next level thing to practise focus and slow down. it's mostly breathing excersice.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
cycling is way to go! but also i recommend gym training (it's not only lifting weights - it's more like keeping focus and it increases levels of serotonin, dopamine, etc.) what i wish to do daily is meditation, it's next level thing to practise focus and slow down. it's mostly breathing excersice.
You really don't need a gym membership - although it is nice to have one - and saves me having to wash/shower/bath at home - and that's where the pool is too - but if you are not a swimmer and don't exercise in a pool and was looking to weight train - then I'd recommend good old calisthenics exercises - just using your own bodyweight to get that pump - airsquats - pushups and chinups for starters - look for surfaces you can push up from - hang from - and pull yourself towards and push yourself away from - do at least 3 sets to failure - (when the lactic acid in the worked muscle burns) -

- As I get older - I want to try and stay as strong as I can without over-taxing my ageing anatomy - so I don't push more weight than my own bodyweight these days - for however many reps it might take to failure -

- As for meditation - quite and reflective time is a must to sort your head out - I can seem to get there by just staring at some cannabis buds - moving in the wind right now - or when I look at the rippling water in the river - or the pool - it becomes easy for me to drop into a contemplative/meditative mode - where I can usually sort my own head out -

Attachments

• 20220902_074503.jpg
    20220902_074503.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
  • 20220902_074451.jpg
    20220902_074451.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49

H e d g e

Some of us were wondering if the endocannabinoid system is stimulated/activated in infants, via breast milk. i have often wondered if the 'bottle babies' are a population that are often deficient.
Definitely there is anandamide in breast milk that stimulates feeding and supports the immune system as it develops, cows milk also has it but it’s not heat stable so must be raw.
A big problem these days is overuse of c section because the baby doesn’t get inoculated by the mothers microbiome on the way out. Some places I’ve heard swab the mother to manually inoculate the baby orally but it’s far and few between.

BobChronic6505

Boys I'm down 30 lbs since June. I was really inspired by this post when I first read it, and now I read about muscle development and excercises the same way I was reading about weed topics like transpiration nutrient deficiencies etc. Walking burpees strength training. I still have a lot more to go.

I need a good workout strain. Can someone recommend any? I need something electric, speedy and very up. Only sativa I have going right now is a Neville's haze fem from greenhouse seeds.

What are yall smoking to get good and motivated to put in work???

Hmong

Veteran
I need a good workout strain. Can someone recommend any?

Do a workout of 500 military burpees in one go, and you don't need no strain.

I wouldn't call anything a workout if you can smoke up just before it, workouts should be hard.

What are yall smoking to get good and motivated to put in work???

to get motivated, looking into a mirror should be enough.