What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PTSD, Exercise and Weed

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I found that practicing TaiChi, that if my mind started to wander or go around in circles, that i'd tend to lose balance enough that i felt as if i'd tip over. It's about the only form of meditation where ol monkey mind could be caught early. I do feel a need to start practicing that, again.
Been doing tai chi for over 20 years every single day. It is amazing and you are dead right, you have to be in the right frame of mind.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I enjoy walking trails in the woods but with the heat this summer it's been hard to get out. The medication I'm on effects thermoregulation, which makes me more susceptible to heat related injuries. Last time I went out I nearly fainted it was so hot, if I didn't have other people with me it wouldn't of been good.

Now onto the PTSD issue, what I hate about it is the hypervigilance part. It feels like something bad is always gonna happen and I'm constantly on the edge of my seat waiting for it. Weed does help but i hate strains that make me paranoid or introspective, thinking on things I'd rather block out.
I know what you are talking about friend, sometimes it's easy to feel like one is trapped. The problem is "fear of the unknown" and not knowing what will happen in the future, or being hurt and depressed about the unchangeable past.

Having a disability makes things so much harder compared to what it used to be like before the disability. When I look at the old way and compare the way I am now it's easy to get pissed off. That's another true "enemy" when I get angry. Anger blows the light of reason away and dulls the mind. It's a habit and one has to be careful because it gets worse with time. If I don't watch it I can be or will be mad every day or all the time. The best way for me to have peace is to stay present and not spend much time in the past or the future. Stay present and exercise!!!! 😎

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Anger is good fuel for exercise - particularly weight training - because inevitably you can only lift so much weight before you exhaust the muscle - and become nicely fatigued - but the anger helps you push that extra repetition - or even an extra set - if I concentrate on it - and in doing so I can actually expel/push or pull the anger from my mind - finding that anger is a negative energy that I can turn into endorphins - via exercise - and instead of anger ruling me - and making me feel bad - it actually gets me high - and stronger in the long run - from more intense workouts -

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Anger is good fuel for exercise - particularly weight training - because inevitably you can only lift so much weight before you exhaust the muscle - and become nicely fatigued - but the anger helps you push that extra repetition - or even an extra set - if I concentrate on it - and in doing so I can actually expel/push or pull the anger from my mind - finding that anger is a negative energy that I can turn into endorphins - via exercise - and instead of anger ruling me - and making me feel bad - it actually gets me high - and stronger in the long run - from more intense workouts -
The Incredible Hulk reaction! Lou Ferrigno check that guy out,. 😎

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
The Incredible Hulk reaction! Lou Ferrigno check that guy out,. 😎
- it gets to the point where I even look for things to get angry about - so that I can burn that anger at the gym - like last night - I was falling asleep on the sofa with my reading glasses on - then I heard the distinct buzzing of a mosquito near to my face - so I tried to swat the mossie - and swatted my reading glasses off my face - breaking them in the process - 'ANGER!' - at myself for being so imprecise - have to buy a new pair now - and turn that anger into endorphins - at the gym - we all get mad at ourselves sometimes - and need to excrete that madness somehow -

Yeah Lou Ferigno - takes me back to reading all those bodybuilders magazines - back in the late 70's early 80's - he became The Hulk - in that cheesy TV series - before they made any of the more recent Hulk feature films -

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I'm talking about the kind of anger one gets when he can't find the fucking oatmeal. Losing stuff is the hardest thing I have to deal with. Being visually impaired, when I lose something it may take me months to find it again. Or can't plug in a phone cord to recharge, because all those tiny cord rechargers suck. Walking into limbs or bumping my head from not seeing things in front of me. Just getting to the grocery store to buy food or clothes. Accidentally walked into people at the grocery or cafe not seeing them. Breaking stuff. Everyday things like that can be very difficult and it's easy to fall into states of anger. The bad part is waking up mad this morning from what happened yesterday. Crown broke on a tooth needing to go to the Dentist. Putting my face to the computer screen to see the letters. When I use anger in the above situations it blows the light of reason away and I crash. Then I have to clean everything up and I feel bad for getting mad. Every day is a challenge for some people living with handicapped bodies. Exercise, meditation and weed is the only thing that really helps😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I have to work my ass off to keep from doing stupid things. I can't drink booze or do drugs anymore and that's a place I've seen my friends and family go when anger gets the best of them. I don't like what its done to them or me for that fact. So it's very important that I work as hard as I can to find peace with my life the way it is. Today it's all good because I know that I have to watch my mind and not let it run wild in the past or the future too long. Staying present is not all that bad. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Veterans are killing themselves every day from the mismanagement of anger and the bitterness caused by the past. I sometimes know how they feel and I can see how such a thing can happen. We lose over 6000 veterans a year from suicide. There are a lot of hurt people that carry PTSD or past traumas that would rather die than live the way they do in daily life. 😎

Nannymouse

One of the kids that i taught was having some serious anger management problems. I shared with the class what i'd read in some 'self help' (or maybe 'religious) type book that i cannot quote verbatim, but...

Emotions are almost like things blowing in the wind in the way that they can come and go. You cannot hold on to one for very long (like the feeling of love or ecstasy), no matter how hard you try, before another one blows in to replace it.
So when a negative emotion comes along and tries to temporarily hold on to you, visualize picking it off of yourself, and give it a good toss back into the wind.

i also read that anger is a signal (evolutionary?) for action. The action, however, is a choice, in most cases.

hopefully, that helped the kids, hope that they remembered, as i think it was maybe more important than the day's 'school' lesson that i was teaching. It was sure something that i remembered, and even used on occasion!

Hmong

Veteran
I had I never slept in my bed, always the couch.

been there, that's why I just trashed it when moving and never got a new one.
working 18/6 now and getting that paper, instead of herniated discs

i also read that anger is a signal (evolutionary?) for action. The action, however, is a choice, in most cases

almost had the cops called for "action" on a sec guard today :biggrin:

if negative emotion arises, just yell at the source!
that's the only thing that works for anger management
managing it in a way, so that you get yo shit respected without causing casualties

Last edited:

St. Phatty

Been doing tai chi for over 20 years every single day. It is amazing and you are dead right, you have to be in the right frame of mind.

Have you ever participated in the daily morning Tai Chi group at about 6th & Fulton in SF ?

Tai Chi has a reputation as a "soft" martial art.

But one of the trainers at USF was into Tai Chi and as potentially dangerous as any Kung Fu person.

Last edited:

X15

There’s a wonderful Tai Chi circle at Ledbetter Beach in Santa Barbara. Aka Pelican Cafe Beach. Aka north Mesa. Friday evenings and use to be Mon, Wed, Fri mornings. I remember Beginners and all ages were welcome and encouraged!

Tai Chi is one of those things that if you find out someone is into it (like other martial arts) chances are they are a pretty legit human, bc It’s no Bull Shit! Great activity to meet amazing people and learn a lot about oneself.

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm talking about the kind of anger one gets when he can't find the fucking oatmeal. Losing stuff is the hardest thing I have to deal with. Being visually impaired, when I lose something it may take me months to find it again. Or can't plug in a phone cord to recharge, because all those tiny cord rechargers suck. Walking into limbs or bumping my head from not seeing things in front of me. Just getting to the grocery store to buy food or clothes. Accidentally walked into people at the grocery or cafe not seeing them. Breaking stuff. Everyday things like that can be very difficult and it's easy to fall into states of anger. The bad part is waking up mad this morning from what happened yesterday. Crown broke on a tooth needing to go to the Dentist. Putting my face to the computer screen to see the letters. When I use anger in the above situations it blows the light of reason away and I crash. Then I have to clean everything up and I feel bad for getting mad. Every day is a challenge for some people living with handicapped bodies. Exercise, meditation and weed is the only thing that really helps😎
Sometimes i feel angry at the world, angry at god, even angry about myself. Years ago I'd drink myself stupid and powder my nose. It's not that i enjoyed that life style, for me it was the life I felt like i deserved - I was punishing myself. Now my anger wasn't just mine because I'd take it out on others, I'd start arguments, start fist fights. The adrenaline made me feel alive, otherwise I felt dead inside and numb to the world. As soon as that adrenaline disappeared and I could reflect on it I would feel disappointed in myself and the choices I've made. It's not as bad now, a lot of self realization and reflection helped me to come to terms with the issues in my life.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
One of the kids that i taught was having some serious anger management problems. I shared with the class what i'd read in some 'self help' (or maybe 'religious) type book that i cannot quote verbatim, but...

Emotions are almost like things blowing in the wind in the way that they can come and go. You cannot hold on to one for very long (like the feeling of love or ecstasy), no matter how hard you try, before another one blows in to replace it.
So when a negative emotion comes along and tries to temporarily hold on to you, visualize picking it off of yourself, and give it a good toss back into the wind.

i also read that anger is a signal (evolutionary?) for action. The action, however, is a choice, in most cases.

hopefully, that helped the kids, hope that they remembered, as i think it was maybe more important than the day's 'school' lesson that i was teaching. It was sure something that i remembered, and even used on occasion!
Thank you for your kind words they are very helpful. No disrespect to the kids but do any of the kids live with missing limbs and burned flesh, or burn scars on over 48% of their bodies? Blind or deaf from combat trauma and inability to communicate in a seeing or hearing world normally? Do they have nights where they wake up for no reason and can't go back to sleep and do it every single night? Walking around like sleepless zombies every day?

Correct, emotions are impermanent but living with physical handicaps is permanent for as long as we live. Again no disrespect to anyone, but you have no idea what it's like being a prisoner in a broken scared body that can't be fixed. It takes a special kind of determination to do the best we can do to find peace, sometimes it can be a rough journey. Thats why I exercise daily, meditate, and work hard on my attitude and staying in the present moment...Thank you for your post. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Sometimes i feel angry at the world, angry at god, even angry about myself. Years ago I'd drink myself stupid and powder my nose. It's not that i enjoyed that life style, for me it was the life I felt like i deserved - I was punishing myself. Now my anger wasn't just mine because I'd take it out on others, I'd start arguments, start fist fights. The adrenaline made me feel alive, otherwise I felt dead inside and numb to the world. As soon as that adrenaline disappeared and I could reflect on it I would feel disappointed in myself and the choices I've made. It's not as bad now, a lot of self realization and reflection helped me to come to terms with the issues in my life.
That's what you're here for friend, to work that stuff out before you leave. Keep up the good work. 😎

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Somehow - I've made it to 62 years old - with a body that ain't so busted up - although I've had many injuries over the years - most healed well - but most leave some sort of remembrance/residue - a physical or mental scar - (some combat PTSD perhaps) - some arthritis in areas where you have broken bones in the past - skin grafts - old sports injuries too - then you get occasional injuries from exercise in the present - the odd torn muscle - sore tendon or ligament - so it is very important to try and rest and recuperate - and get enough sleep for recovery purposes alone -

- I have found that you can still work around most small physical injuries - and still exercise - which helps speed up recovery even - due to the increased blood supply to the area - if I took days off for every small injury - I'd never get to be training at all - and that you have to learn to live with a bit more pain - (or alot more pain - depends on the individual) - as you get older - so adjusting your pain threshold to cope with it - helps tremendously - if that is possible -