What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PTSD, Exercise and Weed

Swamp Thang

Veteran
I've just got done reading this entire post CP, and your words echo those of a medical doctor whose primary interest is preserving health via regular exercise and choosing a largely vegetarian diet, along with the use of "homeopathic medicine" ingredients like ginger, garlic, cinnamon, peelings of lemon, lime, or pineapple as components of a lifestyle regime that emphasizes "preventive maintenance" as a means to avoid medical problems further down the road of life.

Your description of that couch as being one's greatest enemy that lowers resistance to a host of ailments offers to me a profound truth that if heeded by taking regular exercise, has the potential of increasing by decades the average person's lifespan. I must say I was horrified to read about your brother who smoked joints but never tobacco yet was still felled by throat cancer, because until just a couple of years ago when I switched to vaping with an Airizer Solo exclusively, I'd smoked joints since way back when they were known as hooters, all the wile feeling confident that throat or mouth cancer would only be concerns for cigarette and cigar smokers, and not so much for discerning stoners who "only" smoked joints for years.

Filing away my new fears about the possible long-term effects of toking habits going back decades, I was surprised to learn from your personal experience that by reducing one's body fat content with regular exercise, one's tolerance to THC could be lowered so that vaping produces a more intense high than if one remained stuck in a lazy, sedentary lifestyle. Now if there was ever a motivating reason for a couch potato like me to start regular exercise again, catching a superior buzz is that reason without a doubt.

I thank you kindly, sir, for sharing this wisdom about health matters that you have accumulated over the years. I must say your garden is such a tranquil and serene retreat and a sight for sore eyes with all that oxygen-generated greenery in which to cocoon one's self when some introspection is on the agenda. I would imagine there is a soundtrack of birdsong there in the springtime. You are truly blessed to live where you do in good health after all your years of gaining insight aboard this spinning blue dot called Earth. Now then, I'm setting off for a bracing bike ride with my trusty hounds in tow.

Sub24ox7

I love this thread and exercise. I run at least 5 miles a day, everyday and strength train every other. I found exercise helps everything from sleep to mood to quality of life period. I have VERY little body fat and I agree it can help your tolerance to stay thin. Last summer I was taking too much ethanol extract(pure sativa and a gram a day) I started to get more and more stressed and exercise didn’t help and I could not sleep nor could I get high at all EVER. I quit taking the oils and now just vape flower from the volcano and I feel so much better and get high again. You can overdo everything or at least I tend to.
Long story short, moderation in all aspects of life helps. ✌️

Swamp Thang

Veteran
I love this thread and exercise. I run at least 5 miles a day, everyday and strength train every other. I found exercise helps everything from sleep to mood to quality of life period. I have VERY little body fat and I agree it can help your tolerance to stay thin. Last summer I was taking too much ethanol extract(pure sativa and a gram a day) I started to get more and more stressed and exercise didn’t help and I could not sleep nor could I get high at all EVER. I quit taking the oils and now just vape flower from the volcano and I feel so much better and get high again. You can overdo everything or at least I tend to.
As a long-time stoner in good standing, I've never ingested anything besides personally grown organic flower or homemade coconut canna oil, but eventually, I even quit eating my homemade edibles, and also quit toking on joints, so as to vape organically grown bud to the exclusion of all other methods of natural flower THC delivery.

Your adverse experience with concentrates reinforces my resolve never to try them even once, Sub240x7, and I thank you for adding such an observation to this growing body of knowledge needed to remain a healthy weed connoisseur for the long haul. Holy chit 5 miles a day is a brutal run at any age. but then the reward for that investment is a longer, healthier life. My hat is off to you, and I am even more determined to get off this computer chair far more often to exercise vigorously.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Thank you friend for sharing your runs and works outs. I love to vape weed and get there get outside and exercise every day too. In old age, I have to break one or two days a week. Rest is nice too. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I've just got done reading this entire post CP, and your words echo those of a medical doctor whose primary interest is preserving health via regular exercise and choosing a largely vegetarian diet, along with the use of "homeopathic medicine" ingredients like ginger, garlic, cinnamon, peelings of lemon, lime, or pineapple as components of a lifestyle regime that emphasizes "preventive maintenance" as a means to avoid medical problems further down the road of life.

Your description of that couch as being one's greatest enemy that lowers resistance to a host of ailments offers to me a profound truth that if heeded by taking regular exercise, has the potential of increasing by decades the average person's lifespan. I must say I was horrified to read about your brother who smoked joints but never tobacco yet was still felled by throat cancer, because until just a couple of years ago when I switched to vaping with an Airizer Solo exclusively, I'd smoked joints since way back when they were known as hooters, all the wile feeling confident that throat or mouth cancer would only be concerns for cigarette and cigar smokers, and not so much for discerning stoners who "only" smoked joints for years.

Filing away my new fears about the possible long-term effects of toking habits going back decades, I was surprised to learn from your personal experience that by reducing one's body fat content with regular exercise, one's tolerance to THC could be lowered so that vaping produces a more intense high than if one remained stuck in a lazy, sedentary lifestyle. Now if there was ever a motivating reason for a couch potato like me to start regular exercise again, catching a superior buzz is that reason without a doubt.

I thank you kindly, sir, for sharing this wisdom about health matters that you have accumulated over the years. I must say your garden is such a tranquil and serene retreat and a sight for sore eyes with all that oxygen-generated greenery in which to cocoon one's self when some introspection is on the agenda. I would imagine there is a soundtrack of birdsong there in the springtime. You are truly blessed to live where you do in good health after all your years of gaining insight aboard this spinning blue dot called Earth. Now then, I'm setting off for a bracing bike ride with my trusty hounds in tow.
I appreciate you Swamp Thang😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Determined to end veteran suicide, K9s For Warriors provides highly-trained Service Dogs to military veterans suffering from PTSD, traumatic brain injury and/or military sexual trauma. With the majority of dogs coming from high-kill rescue shelters, this innovative program allows the K9/Warrior team to build an unwavering bond that facilitates their collective healing and recovery.

pjlive

The best therapy I know for dealing with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Depression is to get outdoors and exercise. Walk the dogs, jogging, riding bikes are a big part of my life.
I don't listen to the little voice that gives me excuses why I shouldn't exercise. I just go and I'm always glad I did when I finish. I load up my vape and get moving outdoors. "Cold or Hot" I get out and ride my bike every day and 3 big rides a week. I walk my dogs and still jog and it helps sooo much. I'm over 65, but I don't let that stop me because it's the only treatment or therapy that works for my depression and PTSD. Take a few hits, and hit the road, one eye or not.
Does anyone else want to share how exercise has helped you?
Here are my rides. 😎
I agree with this so much so I live it. Nothing in my life, and I mean nothing in my life, has benefited me more than exercise when it comes to control my anxiety and the depressive kind of funks that can accompany it.

For me, daily yoga, frequent nature hikes, and regular aerobics in general help immensely. I even use often for the walks and hikes. It only adds to the positive flow of the experience.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
K9s have helped me more than words can speak. The love and loyalty they show to anyone who loves them back are also unspeakable with words. The truth be known they are just good ole PALs that love you and want to help and be of service to you. I'm on my 4th K9 now and his name is Forest he's about 7 years old and he's super. Every past K9 I owned had its own superpowers. All my K9s lived over 12 years and when they go it's really hard. That's the way it's supposed to be when you lose something you love. The ones that passed have taught me life's lesson of impermanence and how to let go. 😎

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Great thread Creeperpark!

- I exercise for at least 2 hours every day - often more with the 4mile walk and gym/swim - and I get a better buzz from it than any cannabis - occasionally I go training when I'm stoned - but find that I dont train as hard when inebriated on cannabis - the endorphins that my own brain releases after a good training session - give me such a great feeling of wellbeing and happiness - it just makes me want to train harder and harder - and so occasionally I do overtrain - and then my body aches alot - so I have to slow down a bit and take it easier for a day or two -

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Thanks, Gypsy that helps a lot. Resting between work-outs is just as important too. Check out my Kuti after a little rain. I spend a lot of my time outdoors and I love it.😎
IMG_1193.JPG
IMG_1195.JPG
IMG_1201.JPG
IMG_1222.JPG

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Lovely - you are very lucky to have a garden to relax in Creeperpark - I live in a 3rd floor 400sqft 2 bedroom apartment with my wife and 2 kids here in London - the small balcony is its saving grace - where I can relax - toke - and watch the sun go down - would be nice to have a 3 bed house with a garden and big shed - then my son could have his own room - and I could grow in the big shed - year round - I could even have a dog - and I love dogs - and miss being able to keep one -

Last edited:

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Great thread. I'm not far off 60 and the importance of keeping moving increases as I age.
I exercise every day. Brisk walk at least 45 minutes, taichi everyday, bike riding, and some bodyweight resistance. I also go for long hikes every couple of weekends. I am lucky to live in the sub tropics with some beautiful National Parks close enough for a day trip, and a nice park to walk in during the weekdays. Beaches with surf not far off either.

Nature is just as important though, and if you can combine nature and exercise it is fantastic. I sometimes vape before and during exercise, sativa's are the key to that being successful. Each time I get a new variety I give it the walk test. I can tell if a variety is stimulating or lethargic. (Gypsy, you need some of Wal's LaosxMango, perfect exercise pot).
I have had depression and anxiety that comes and goes. Cannabis and exercise helps massively. I am fairly new to CBD and I also find that benefits, and am also experimenting with psychedelics in micro and macro doses.

One note of caution to add: it is useful to find something else that helps mentally. I have known people who rely on exercise for their mental wellbeing which is fantastic, but what happens if/when you get injured? It is important to exercise safely, especially as we age. Even then, wear and tear can prevent you from exercising. My advice is to try meditation as well. There are many good apps these days. As someone who suffered bad back injury years ago that stopped me from exercising, you need a back up for when you can't. Even with injury, you can sometimes stretch, or in my case do standing tai chi exercises, tensing and releasing muscles etc. Good luck.

Last edited:

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great thread,,,
exercise,,fresh air and a canine has helped me get as fit ,strong, healthy and clear/sharp minded then I’ve been for decades,,,,
big advocate for Vit D,,,,
just had a routine blood test and a reassuring call from my GP to say “ whatever your doing then keep at it “ ,tests all clear,,,,
Approaching 59 and just back from a 3km stroll,,,
eating and hydrating at regular times,,,over 55 multi vitamins ,one a day,,
Noticed my tolerance for bullshit has decreased though,,lol,,,
a simple walk with fresh air in the sun,wind,rain or snow does seem to cure all ills and organically grown cannabis ,,,,s2

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
My default setting for the past year has been very physical - having made diet and exercise my main priorities - and having reached my weight/strength goal - nowadays it's just about maintaining the body I have achieved from all of those miles - laps-sets-and reps - a lifestyle change for the better - it's all been an interesting learning experience - and I feel so much better for it -

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My default setting for the past year has been very physical - having made diet and exercise my main priorities - and having reached my weight/strength goal - nowadays it's just about maintaining the body I have achieved from all of those miles - laps-sets-and reps - a lifestyle change for the better - it's all been an interesting learning experience - and I feel so much better for it -
first week of work,138 miles commuting by bike