What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Psychosis/Mental issues and Cannabis.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
interesting discussion. Weed is often very strong these days and its pretty easy to get a bit too high and jittery - and concentrates made from it will be even stronger.
Unripe weed will be more speedy and headache inducing which is a different thing to psychosis or paranoia.
In many cases smoking less will help a lot... or try a different strain and find one that agrees with you better.
One thing i would add. When your heart races after smoking, many associate that with psychosis or paranoia (and freak out even more lol ), but your heart is råcing simply because the THC etc has lowered your blood pressure... its a physical response rather than a mental one.
VG

indica193

It's the long flowering times that make for the HUGE yields - from SOME Sativa - dominant plants.

It's all about managing the Details.
that may be true, but in my small tents I wont flower a 14 week seed/clone ever.. I can have 3 harvests in that timeframe in a clone sog.. so yeah, adonno about that. plus I grow perpetually

St. Phatty

that may be true, but in my small tents I wont flower a 14 week seed/clone ever.. I can have 3 harvests in that timeframe in a clone sog.. so yeah, adonno about that. plus I grow perpetually

For Sure.

In a limited Headroom environment, one plant I grew that works well is Purple Trainwreck.

Purple Grand-daddy x Trainwreck, I think.

Nice big buds but it stops stretching 1 or 2 weeks into flowering.

Once I grew some Indica hashplants in a 5 gallon bucket, under a 175 watt metal halide, in a closet.

I was out of town and it went un-attended for a few weeks.

When I came back, there were some beautiful teeny little buds. It needed water though.

awwc

interesting discussion. Weed is often very strong these days and its pretty easy to get a bit too high and jittery - and concentrates made from it will be even stronger.
Unripe weed will be more speedy and headache inducing which is a different thing to psychosis or paranoia.
In many cases smoking less will help a lot... or try a different strain and find one that agrees with you better.
One thing i would add. When your heart races after smoking, many associate that with psychosis or paranoia (and freak out even more lol ), but your heart is råcing simply because the THC etc has lowered your blood pressure... its a physical response rather than a mental one.
VG
Agreed.

awwc

This is why the market is full of mids. Just kidding but, the thing is, there is still a demand for 12-14 weekers but the issue is, the people that grow em just feed them finishing nutes at week 7 and chop at week 10 max.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
My first decade of smoking was almost completely sativa apart from the odd hash. Never met anyone with psychosis until about 2 decades later. No, early harvest does not cause psychosis. Like fp says, psychosis causes psychosis. You are prone to it or not.

awwc

My first decade of smoking was almost completely sativa apart from the odd hash. Never met anyone with psychosis until about 2 decades later. No, early harvest does not cause psychosis. Like fp says, psychosis causes psychosis. You are prone to it or not.
I mean how can you say that with certainty if you have been smoking for a very long time probably in an age where people actually grew out their plants to full maturity for the most part. Also you mention untill 2 decades later what does this imply?

exoticrobotic

Are you talking about bought buds or buds you have grown?

If you're feeling dodgy from smoking commercial stuff it's very likely to be down to the shit cash croppers spray on the plants rather than maturity.

e.g PGR, bug sprays etc.

That's why people choose to grow their own.

The only difference i feel from immature buds vs mature buds is the high can be more up, have a bit less depth and be a bit more angsty.

But mental issues not really. I've always been this way :D

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I mean how can you say that with certainty if you have been smoking for a very long time probably in an age where people actually grew out their plants to full maturity for the most part. Also you mention untill 2 decades later what does this imply?
Actually back when I started in the late 70s people didn't know as much about harvesting and hence most of it was harvested early (I realise this now). No one looked at trichomes; just judged by overall looks. There was no indoor grown, and I lived in a hot climate where sativas and imports ruled. Hardly saw any indicas, apart from imported hash.

I knew a lot of other smokers when I was young (much more than now) but met no one with psychosis until the late 90s. If early harvested plants were causing psychosis then why didn't I meet people with psychosis who were smokers? I work in the field of mental health/disabilities so I do feel like I am in a position to recognise these issues.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
My first thought was needing a break for a week or two. Isn't rosin damn near pure THC??? You will develop tolerance and smoke even more till all CB1 receptors are constantly full. Microdose of shrooms helps many stop drinking or smoking easily. I stopped drinking for a month and cured my depression for that length of time more than max dose of prozac, last time I did them. This is about CHS, but could be helpful -

Pathogenesis[edit]​

Cannabis contains more than 400 different chemicals, of which about 60 are cannabinoids.[10] The chemical composition of cannabis may vary between cannabis products, making it difficult to identify the specific chemical(s) responsible for the syndrome.[13] The pathophysiology of CHS is complicated by the complex action of these chemicals throughout the body, both in the central nervous system and in the gastrointestinal system.[10] Cannabis-related factors, such as the amount of THC in the cannabis, the amount of use, and the duration of use likely play a role, but are not yet well understood.[13] Other factors, such as chronic stress, genetics, and emotional factors, may influence the risk for CHS.[13]

Various pathogenic mechanistic theories attempting to explain symptoms have been put forward:[11]

It has been hypothesized that certain people may be genetically pre-disposed to metabolize cannabinoids in an atypical manner, making them susceptible to CHS.[14][15]

Another cannabinoid called cannabigerol acts as an antagonist at cannabinoid (CB1) and serotonin (5HT1A) receptors, antagonizing the anti-emetic effects of cannabidiol that occurs through its effects on serotonin.[3]

Cannabinoid buildup theory[edit]​

Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is a fat-soluble cannabinoid that can be deposited into a person's fat stores, accounting for the long elimination half-life of THC.[3] During periods of stress or food deprivation, a person's fat stores can be mobilized (lipolysis) for energy consumption, releasing the previously stored THC back into the blood.[3] The mechanism can be characterized as a "reintoxication effect."[3]

Loc Dog

Veteran
Are you talking about bought buds or buds you have grown?

If you're feeling dodgy from smoking commercial stuff it's very likely to be down to the shit cash croppers spray on the plants rather than maturity.

e.g PGR, bug sprays etc.

That's why people choose to grow their own.

The only difference i feel from immature buds vs mature buds is the high can be more up, have a bit less depth and be a bit more angsty.

But mental issues not really. I've always been this way :D
Someone got bootleg vape cartridges in CA a few years ago from 10 sources and all had Myclobutanil,

Last edited:

Loc Dog

Veteran
so these things still happen. and here I thought those days were long over.. at least in murica
It is perfectly safe on edible crops, but turns to hydrogen cyanide and some other harmful chemical in minute amounts from heating above 400C. Would be interesting if it were captured in bong water.

Last edited:

exoticrobotic

It is perfectly safe on edible crops

Who knows exactly what is in the food we eat.

The amount of chemicals that get used all the way up the food chain is ridiculous but i suppose there are a lot of people to feed so we need to grow it bigger and make sure proactively there are no bugs that may reduce yield.

From planting/rearing to the preparation and serving of the food why not add some more chemicals :yummy:

It's why a home made chicken burger is good for you and a fast food chicken burger is bad for you.

Same with weed. To meet the demand some dodgy shit may be used.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome,,,
A paradox negative effect caused by high THC,,,,
After getting very fit I recently become aware that I cannot take high THC,,,
I get a very sore stomach,,,prickly skin ,, sleep disturbance and an upset stomach,,,,
initially thought it was Covid or Omnichrom again,,,
After research I need to accept that high THC is not for me at 58yrs of age,,
l am at stage1 before the vomiting kicks in so I don’t wish to reach stage 2 and the only info available was from the USA so I’ve stopped smoking for the time being,,,
Apparently after a few days of abstinence I should be feeling “ back to normal “ ,,,,,
I tend to listen to my body and it’s telling me high THC is not good for me and I have to stop,,,,s2

Last edited: