What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Prices in Japan?

E

elbows19

Are you shitting me? I remember seeing a tv show about American beef and how they were using steroids on them for the stuff going to Japan even though it wasn't legal for meat sold in the States.
Just assume it was the same everywhere, guess Auzzie farmers have more class.

HA.. reminds me of Mondo Burger from the movie Good Burger.

kenan-thompson-good-burger.jpg

Japanfreakier

Veteran
It's so strange what the foreign press picks up on. To be honest the square watermelon guy made the news here as well.

See, the food is just better here. I thought I hated tomatoes till I ate Japanese tomatoes. The strawberries are so tasty that the Koreans have stole the genetics and sell them under Japanese brand names. Food is an obsession here that can only be rivaled by the French I think. We're talking cooking comic books, cartoons, tv shows, movies.

Gastro

So what it comes down to for a tourist, there is no weed, just compensate that by eating awesome food and drinking loads of sake :)

Japanfreakier

Veteran
If you've never sought out and bought weed on the street then no, better not think about it. But it's not hard to find a pusher or get a contact at a bar in Roppongi, just expensive.

Fintendo

Too bad I Didn't figure out that edibles thing couple of years ago when I was in Japan. Next time I will do that for sure. I asked price of weed from a guy who runs a nice rock bar and it was $50. Didn't buy though. Man, I loved Hiroshima, people were so kind and friendly. They were nice in other cities too, but Hiroshima will still be my number one <3. I hope I can return within a year or so...

phangtonpower

yay first post:) Hope I don't get flamed for this, but I don't think the food is better here, at least where I'm from. They take anything ethnic and change it to there style. So Indian curry will taste like Japanese curry, or they're pizzas don't have enough tomato sauce or cheese. Where I live the best burger is McDonalds everything else is a hamburg or a hamburg stuffed in a bun:( And Japanese food to me is just meh, coming from a very ethnic city and having what ever food you want.

But I do love it here. There is something else about living in the country side that I love! Just miss the food back home.
See, the food is just better here.

Japanfreakier

Veteran
Well if you don't like Japanese food then you wouldn't think the food is better. But what I was getting at is that the ingredients are better. Tomatoes in Japan taste better than tomatoes in the states.

BlissDesu

Last I visited, our eggs each had 2 yolks (in one egg), and they were of richest orange hue.

Fantastic fresh produce ('momotaro' tomatoes are sweeeet :)

Fuji apples.

Amazing sea food.

That kind of quality in the U.S. would cost you an arm-an-a-leg.

phangtonpower

Yeah I got one of those eggs too:) I was actually gonna mention that the eggs hear are awesome, but you beat me to it.

JF. I see what your saying. Don't really buy to much produce since it is super expensive here. Sometimes I'll buy a bag apples when they're on sale, but they usually aren't t that good. The ones that are 100 yen and up are awesome though.

Japanfreakier

Veteran
Come to think of it the citrus is better in the states for the most part. I think the stuff here is flown in from other countries, must be. Same with the orange juice, but that's a lot better than it used to be. I seriously couldn't even drink the OJ here years ago it was so nasty.

Japanfreakier

Veteran
That kind of quality in the U.S. would cost you an arm-an-a-leg.

Have you seen what a cabbage costs this week? like 250 for a whole one, but that's Tokyo prices. Recently I've got out of the city more and I forgot how cheap the countryside is, at least for the local produce.

It just costs a lot of money to eat well in Tokyo, even if you are cooking at home. I have so much respect for the housewives who have it all down to a system, they know where you have to go on what days to get things cheap. Like eggs on monday at this market, meat on tuesday at this place. I totally suck at it. I just cook what I want to eat that day, I'm talking normal stuff, like minestrone and stuff. But when paprikas are $2 a piece most people are forced to settle for just a yellow one. And like an idiot I want a yellow, red, and an orange one in my minestrone and I end up spending 10万円 a month for 2 people.

I have to get so much better at saving money here, but I don'T think I'm about to start putting pet bottles into the toilet to save on water.

phangtonpower

^ Hahaha. Yeah cooking for just one is expensive. It cost me about 30 bucks to make a carne asada burrito and have to go to about 5 different places just to get what I need, which is only beef, tortillas, avocados, tomatoes, onion and cilantro:/ I haven't checked the prices on cabbage, but man that's a lot! The country side isn't that cheap, but I guess I'm glad I don't live in one of the big cities. Live in Fukui by the way, if you know where that is:p

But props to the house wives! They know how to stretch that yen proper.

BlissDesu

Don't know if this will help you folks, but my wife tells me:

* Go to 'shotengai' - local super markets are very cheap.

* Don't go to kinokunia or seijooishii, they are supermarkets that sell expensive 'brand name' goods.

She is always complaining about how expensive food here in the U.S. is.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
Im gonna be in tokyo this year from late june early july...stayin around Shinjuku. cant wait to go to MOS burger im gonna order like 3 teriyaki burgers and wolf em down.

^ Hahaha. Yeah cooking for just one is expensive. It cost me about 30 bucks to make a carne asada burrito and have to go to about 5 different places just to get what I need, which is only beef, tortillas, avocados, tomatoes, onion and cilantro:/ I haven't checked the prices on cabbage, but man that's a lot! The country side isn't that cheap, but I guess I'm glad I don't live in one of the big cities. Live in Fukui by the way, if you know where that is:p

But props to the house wives! They know how to stretch that yen proper.

where were you shopping? if you are in tokyo its usually not that hard to find stuff, if you go to areas where theres lots of rich foreigners....their supermarkets are packed with america/european stuff. In Hiro-o theres a supermarket called Meiji-Ya, always founded what i needed there.

Ruprechto

kluci šikmoocí, trochu sem se tu díval i do jiných trýdů a fota nic...něco ukažte bo techniky na to máte v tym vašem království dost beztak..

Sundance

Hahaha - Wrong forum Ruprechto

Just back from Japan ... and near 2 months of amazing and fantastic travel

GREAT being back in Japan ... was shocked to see how much things have changed since my last visit many years ago

My old hometown is now longer a quiet, sleepy, countryside town - now its much more built up, with more homes, new mid rise apartment buildings, more stores, an aqua-duct for rainwater where their was none before - heck they even changed the rail lines

Shinjuku is also sooo way more busy - UUGH .. as are other places I visited

Still LOVE Japan ... had an AWESOME time

Ran around a bunch ... went shopping ... and ate my way thru - love the food in Japan .. but I think the best food in Asia is in Singapore

Didnt smoke for near 2 months ... UUGH .. but did quite well

Surprised to see rolling papers being openly sold in smoke shops in Japan .. and also saw maybe 2 people wearing MJ leaves on t-shirts

Thought of getting in touch with you Japanfreakier - but didnt want to cause any concern and/or trouble

The laws in Japan are quite strict ... best to take super care .. and stay far out of the way of potential trouble

However, things are different in the USA - if your coming this way .. get in touch .. I will hook you up - easy

The value of the US Dollar vs the Japanese Yen over the years has gone way down - incredible .. Japan is significantly more expensive now

Went to Hakone ... in the Onsen .. outdoors .. overlooking the mountains, forest, and valleys to see the sun set - like heaven

Japan is a GREAT, GREAT country

Sundance

Japanfreakier

Veteran
You just missed the baby clothes with pot leaf boom a few years back. Swear to god, 1 in 5 babies had a pot leaf somewhere on their clothes. You'll still see old people using pot leaf car fresheners they buy at the 100 yen store 'cause they don't know what it is.

I love Hakone, but who doesn't right? It's a great day trip from Tokyo. The prince hotel there has a great place right on the water.

Today rained most of the morning but late afternoon a strong wind came in and blew out all the humidity leaving pink clouds and a beautiful sunset over Tokyo (best seen going out a little early on from the 3 around Shibuya to the c1 and out over the bridge and looping around heading towards yokohama then hooking up to daisan heading back to Shibuya. Amazing cities skylines. )

Sundance

You just missed the baby clothes with pot leaf boom a few years back. Swear to god, 1 in 5 babies had a pot leaf somewhere on their clothes. You'll still see old people using pot leaf car fresheners they buy at the 100 yen store 'cause they don't know what it is.

I love Hakone, but who doesn't right? It's a great day trip from Tokyo. The prince hotel there has a great place right on the water.

Today rained most of the morning but late afternoon a strong wind came in and blew out all the humidity leaving pink clouds and a beautiful sunset over Tokyo (best seen going out a little early on from the 3 around Shibuya to the c1 and out over the bridge and looping around heading towards yokohama then hooking up to daisan heading back to Shibuya. Amazing cities skylines. )

Somewhere along the way I saw what looked like an MJ leaf as a logo on clothing ... close ... but not quite the same ... This company seems to be doing well - saw the logo a few times

I cant imagine a mother buying baby clothes with a pot leaf on it - the logo has to be something else

Drove to Hakone with two friends .. convertible car ... fantastic weather ... stayed in a brand new ... and very, very beautiful hotel

After an overnight and another Onsen in the morning ... and before heading back to Tokyo .... we drove all around - top down ... had an awesome lunch on the lake ... and later stopped at the Prince Hotel - parked the car and took a long walk around ... my friend was married and had his honeymoon in the Prince Hotel Hakone - very, very nice

In the days ahead ... took a good long walk all around Shibuya, Roppongi, Harujuku, Omotesando, Aoyama, Ginza, Shinjuku, Nihonbashi, and lots more - really fun

Bought some very nice things

Love Japan - really enjoy my time there

You are blessed to have Hakone and the Onsen

Sundance

Latest posts

Latest posts