What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Premium nutrients - Real deal or hype???

chomsky

Ionic is a one part nutrient. It will never perform like a 2 part nutrient. Some micro nutrients can't be combined in concentrated form or they become insoluble. They have to adjust the ratios and reduce the concentration I believe. It popular all the same because its cheap and easy and still produces satisfactory results. I love their Nitrozyme though... perfect for mother plants a week before yo want cuts. Clonex is a game changer if you just use 1" R/W cubes to root cuts. I have an aero and don't see a benefit now.

Yes I agree about the all in one vs. the 2 part. Keepin mind tho GT has supplemental nutes that go with Ionic for the "advanced grower"... But its still just more liquid to pay for...

http://www.growthtechnology.com/growers-guide/2016/#/20/

I admit Ionic by GT is interesting and tempting to me but I think Im going with Jacks my next run. From what I can see once that Jacks is dialed in for my water its pretty solid... AND CHEAP... And as Absolem said learning to really read and understand numbers is where its at. I couldn't agree more.

Absolem

Hey Chomsky.

Thanks for all the kind words. I will follow your next grow and wish you the best. Those beans sound like fire.

RB56

Veteran
I've been thinking about how complicated a test to answer this thread's subject question would be. You'd need to compare the results from two (or however many nutrient regimens you want to compare) optimized runs. Optimized for both nutrient and non-nutrient factors. Most of us are constantly tweaking, so if you got better results from one run using nutrient "A" instead of nutrient "B" but also adjusted (or were forced to accept) changes in water, humidity, temperature, lighting, etc., there's no way to attribute the improvement to the change in nutrient.

ICMag is full of grow logs showing great results using every imaginable system for giving the plants what they need. We may put too much importance on nutrients because it's so easy to cause damage if we misuse them - it's sort of natural to assume that it's possible to do as much good as harm. It's at least as likely that adequate = optimal and that optimal can be reached inexpensively or expensively.

beaver50

Has anybody used advanced nutrients products?Ive been reading up on nutrients and fertilizers.Ive read some good stuff its just for weed.

Peripheral

Has anybody used advanced nutrients products?Ive been reading up on nutrients and fertilizers.Ive read some good stuff its just for weed.

Advanced is overhyped, over complicated crap that is meant to appeal to growers with little to no knowledge of correct plant nutrition.

Get a good base nutrient, then find out why any grower worth his salt is using at least a few products in the Aptus line.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran

I've seen growers using the advanced line. Not impressive by any means. Learn your lesson one time and do it like a real farmer and buy pure products, learn to save money as in the future, you won't be able to buy all that woowoo juice from AN or GH or whomever as prices will be so much lower due to increased production.

HqFarms

Environment>grower>nutes

Some strains respond better to certain nutes. For the rest of the strains out there, different companies have little to no effect on outcome if used properly

Advanced is overhyped, over complicated crap that is meant to appeal to growers with little to no knowledge of correct plant nutrition.

Get a good base nutrient, then find out why any grower worth his salt is using at least a few products in the Aptus line.

Doesn't anyone bother to read the op's original question or is it just a AN shit fest on here? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited:

packerfan79

Veteran
Doesn't anyone bother to read the op's original question or is it just a AN shit fest on here? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Most of the growers here know that Advanced can produce good bud. But so does gh, dynagrow, V&B,botanicare, etc. Advanced is way over priced. Advanced breaks it up into many bottles. Advanced is only around because they have a seriously good marketing department. If Advanced didn't screw people out of big money we wouldn't shit on them.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Most of the growers here know that Advanced can produce good bud. But so does gh, dynagrow, V&B,botanicare, etc. Advanced is way over priced. Advanced breaks it up into many bottles. Advanced is only around because they have a seriously good marketing department. If Advanced didn't screw people out of big money we wouldn't shit on them.

Everything that I saw run on Advanced was marginal. Low weights, small buds, lots of trim. There is no where enough P in their mix, nor Ca, and toxic levels of Fe against the little Mn that they incorporate into their "bottles".

Folks want to be "growers" yet rely on terrible inputs.....

Spaventa

Veteran
Well in my quest to for cheaper alternatives to Canna, Ive been trying Dutch Pro for veg. Its shit. Plants hardly grow on it. No deficiencies, just nothing like the same uptake and rate of growth. I mentioned it to growshop owner (who actually recommended it) and he goes, yeah a few other people have said that. The fucker lol
Im still going to try other boosters though. £60 a litre for Canna is a joke. That Shogun Sumo Boost and another i heard is Meta Boost by Buddhas Tree.

http://www.buddhastree.co.uk/advancedmetaboost.php

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Well in my quest to for cheaper alternatives to Canna, Ive been trying Dutch Pro for veg. Its shit. Plants hardly grow on it. No deficiencies, just nothing like the same uptake and rate of growth. I mentioned it to growshop owner (who actually recommended it) and he goes, yeah a few other people have said that. The fucker lol
Im still going to try other boosters though. £60 a litre for Canna is a joke. That Shogun Sumo Boost and another i heard is Meta Boost by Buddhas Tree.

http://www.buddhastree.co.uk/advancedmetaboost.php

You are talking about the Boost product, not the normal nutrient regime.

If you read the excellent Hazy Lady thread here on Cana Boost, one of the most useful conclusions she had was theat it is far more efficient if applied foliar, not in with the nutrients. Someone else on her who had clearly done a lot of experimentation also recommended a 50-50 mix of Boost and Organic Bio Boost as best of all.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Sometimes...you gotta ask yourself, "what would a farmer do?"

One thing for sure....farmers don't buy bottles blazoned with cartoon characters.

I too once purchased Canna Boost and found foliar spraying was superior than root feeding...until I complained to Grow More's formulator about a "Boost" substitute. He suggested I try their Jump Start product...I did and was amazed with the success.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SUDVKT4/ref=twister_B00XXPBU12?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Absolem

Sometimes...you gotta ask yourself, "what would a farmer do?"

One thing for sure....farmers don't buy bottles blazoned with cartoon characters.

BINGO

Farmers take the time to have their soil tested so they can build a nutrient profile around it. Cannabis users could save a lot of money if they took the time to send in a sample of the fertilizer they are looking at to see what kind of nutrient solution profile it gives. This is why no study on cannabis nutrients is ever done. The first thing a research lab would do is test all the products. Then when those tests came back there would be no need to see a "study" because we would then have the data on the fertilizer. And we already know how those chemicals affect plants.

Last edited:

Spaventa

Veteran
BINGO

Farmers take the time to have their soil tested so they can build a nutrient profile around it. Cannabis users could save a lot of money if they took the time to send in a sample of the fertilizer they are looking at to see what kind of nutrient solution profile it gives. This is why no study on cannabis nutrients is ever done. The first thing a research lab would do is test all the products. Then when those tests came back there would be no need to see a "study" because we would then have the data on the fertilizer and we already know how those chemicals effect plants.

You can buy test kits cheap enough. I used to use them when I was picking spots for guerrilla growing. You uproot a patch of a good wild manuring species early in the year and test it when you go back to plant out and amend as necessary. I really don't miss the walking though.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
BINGO

Farmers take the time to have their soil tested so they can build a nutrient profile around it. Cannabis users could save a lot of money if they took the time to send in a sample of the fertilizer they are looking at to see what kind of nutrient solution profile it gives. This is why no study on cannabis nutrients is ever done. The first thing a research lab would do is test all the products. Then when those tests came back there would be no need to see a "study" because we would then have the data on the fertilizer and we already know how those chemicals effect plants.

Don't bother. Just look them all up here!

Commercial Fertilizer and Product Registration
http://agr.wa.gov/PestFert/Fertilizers/ProductRegistration.aspx

Last edited:

Absolem

Don't bother. Just look them all up here!

Commercial Fertilizer and Product Registration
http://agr.wa.gov/PestFert/Fertilizers/ProductRegistration.aspx

Thanks. I use that site quite often. One problem I've ran into is the product registration doesn't list everything it contains. Liquid Kool Bloom from GH states on the label it has magnesium sulfate in it. But they don't list that on those Ag sites for the product registration. Personally I could care less about those bottled nutes. It's mainly for when my friends want their solution profile broke down. Great thread at the "SlowNickel Lounge".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts