What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Premium nutrients - Real deal or hype???

chomsky

I'd like to say I've used every nutrient known to man. However, that's just not true. There are so many nutrients on the market it's overwhelming. I'm currently using Canna Coco their full line of nutrients and during my last grow I used Vegematrix Kyke Kushmans wonder tonic. I will admit My grow using Vegematrix was simply amazing and my current grow with canna nutrients is shaping up really nice. However, I have used BC Technaflora nutrients I have used general Hydro I have used botaniccare I have used Advanced nutrients and others. I have even done the Lucas formula all with great results. It's really nice to think that these premium nutrient packages are pushing us all to the edge of growing and giving us the best buds possible however, I am wondering if the price justifies the end result? Vegematrix and Canna are both great but exorbitantly expensive. Whereas BC techniflora or Gen Hydro seems almost free in comparison.

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery???

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Hype. The quality I get from simply GH Flora, GH pH up powder and a pinch of mag sulfate is ridiculous. So inexpensive it's unreal, and this is using liquid nutes. You know, the diluted stuff the mfg is making bank off us with?? lol

The latest marketing pitch for SkunkwerksRX (all in one newbie nute) has a testimonial from a grower. In the video, the guy plainly states he didn't have much success growing, until switching to skunkwerksrx. Seriously? I'm supposed to take the recommendation from a grower who couldn't figure out nutes?

Funny. Hype, Hype, Hype. :)

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
There only exists materia prima, or basic nutrients... if someone ferments something, or adds molasses, or amino acids, at the end of the day, it is all stuff you can make. The rest is woo woo :woohoo: juice....

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
What does exist and what you are missing, is the pieces to understanding the puzzle.

The puzzle will vary depending on your medium/mix. Regardless of what one does, the main issue at the end of the day is getting enough calcium into the plant early and getting mass.

Feel free to join in at the Slow Nickel lounge, where we discuss the concepts of basic plant nutrition, what is known as the CEC (Cation Exchange Capacity), we have videos, cold beers and all you can roll... haha... https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=331317

Some of the best growers are contributing and demonstrating how calcium really is the backbone of plant nutrition.

There are growers on this forum that are applying upwards of 50 pounds or more of gypsum per plant! And getting plants that one only dreams of....

And gypsum is one of the cheapest inputs you can buy.

Stop on in, put your feet up and take a good read.

Last edited:
H

Huckster79

My interst is perked. Im going to check out slow nickle. My first microgroe i used h16 base only. Im no seasoned vet but 4 rounds larer iv added all the h16 suppliments, and my favorite jar is still my one from that microgrow...

So has me wondering if all these jugs are snaks oil, after basic nutrition....

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Over the years I've dabbled with a few different nutrient lines. Some do the trick but you have to pay too much money. Some burn your plants far too quickly. The problem is that none can match the simplicity, quality, yield, and ROI you can get from good organic potting soil and Pure Blend Pro Bloom for soil (1-4-5).

-Funk

Arf

People who are really serious about their nutes, mix their own. Most other people just follow the hype.

H

Huckster79

Im nervous about jumoing into organics, and not because i think its a bad idea. I spend as much time w girls as i can but its a personal mmj grow not a career... im worried organics would add a lot of complexoty. I like the idea of getting to onow plant and adjust for her needs... but worried ill get busynfor a few too manyndays and neglect something...

But yea im begining to think these pricey jugs tho mot worhless are snake oil for the roi

Sativan

GH is crap, Advanced Nutrients blows them away. House and Garden was good but not special for the pice.

I believe that A.N. actually does research on the growth of cannabis and makes their best effort to supply premium nutes. That's much more than any other nutes. Also the concept of cannabis-specific nutes thrills me to death. No other company even attempts to do that.

H

Huckster79

Im not opposed to continuing with my h16, the base really isnt that pricey, and i like prime as its negated need to adjust ph... i hate screwing w ph. And i havent had a ph issue since atarted using but i dont know if im goi g to use the rest for the supplimemts...

GH is crap, Advanced Nutrients blows them away. House and Garden was good but not special for the pice.

I believe that A.N. actually does research on the growth of cannabis and makes their best effort to supply premium nutes. That's much more than any other nutes. Also the concept of cannabis-specific nutes thrills me to death. No other company even attempts to do that.

haha, another fool that spends 200 dollars on 10 bottles of nutrients to end with the 1 part MaxiBloom.

Wake up man, spend some more money on learning about nutes and less on AN snake oil.

Absolem

Liquid bottle fertilizers marketed for the cannabis industry are all hype. The vast majority of these companies get their dry salts from Haifa group or Yara.

http://www.haifa-group.com/
http://www.yara.us/
https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=407711&stc=1&d=1492384636

Here is a House and Garden video promoting their products. If you pause the video at the 23 second mark you can see the Yara logo on the injectors which inject the dry salts into the water for the stock solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkgE...d=38&Itemid=57

Attachments

• yara.png
    yara.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

OldPhart

I believe..... that AN is a marketing genius. We are growing a weed here folks, it isn't rocket science. I chuckle every time I see the AN knock-off of the Flora G/M/B line, I remember when AN was bashing the shit out of the GH G/M/B system.

Yes I know that buying liquid nutes is a waste of money, but for $27/gallon, I find it worth it, just for the ease of use. I put a syrup pump into the jug (like they use for snow cones), and then I just count the number of pumps, and dump it in the res. Of course I'm only mixing about 15 - 25 gallons/week. If I were mixing massive amounts, I would probably be looking toward dry nutes just to save a few bucks.

chomsky

I've grown and pretty much everything from GH to AN to Lucas. If you are a good grower they certainly all work. Some obviously cost a lot more than others. However, when I grow in coco Which is now my preferred medium I have been spending a ton of money on Canna coco nutes. Yes it is expensive and probably I can do just as good or almost as good with something much less expensive. However, my results are staggering. When I use Cana I barely have to admit anything from the suggested feeding schedules they lay out. Sometimes I add a little sometimes I take a little away just depending on the strain and how my plants are reacting but it is so hassle free and my-year-olds are incredible and so is my quality that at least for me I am finding it worth it while growing and Coco to spend an extra three or four even $500 per harvest.

When I grow in soil I will pretty much just stick to the Lucas method.

Last edited: