What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Pre-Soviet" Afghani Question

GoatCheese

Veteran
Well is anybody offering US occupation post 2001 Afghani genetics? Quite a few seeds must have come home with troops!

Weather report Afghanistan Sept. 12 2001: temperatures in the high 5000s Fahrenheit, mushroom clouds developing towards afternoon!
Derg Corra Collective from Denmark(?) has been selling re-pro seeds from stock a soldier brought back from Helmand. I bought a pack of these awhile ago, but it's gonna be awhile till i get to grow some of these.
:)

GoatCheese

Veteran
Just a thought, but could it be that the Pre-soviet afghan-thing people fuzz about on grow-forums might originally have more to do with Afghan hashish quality dropping since the good old days, rather than with seed-lines from Afghanistan.

"Good Afghan" has been a common topic among hash smokers visiting Amsterdam for years, and this topic pops up quite frequently on a coffeeshop-forum; people asking about top quality Afghan hash "like the one we smoked back then".

So in short..
Did Afghan hash quality dropping give rise to this talk about "pre-soviet afghan seed-lines being better" ??
-
-
To those who argue that "pre soviet afghan"-thing is bunch of BS, are you sure they still grow these top-Mazari lines Sam and Nevil used in their plants?

Northern Lights, Maple Leaf Indica, Ortega, G13 x Hash Plant, Afghan DJ Short used for his Blue-lines and many more..
These are seriously good Afghanis from the old days, are you sure Affies of this quality is still grown there all over the place?

GoatCheese

Veteran
To those who argue that "pre soviet afghan"-thing is bunch of BS, are you sure they still grow these top-Mazari lines Sam and Nevil used in their plants?

Northern Lights, Maple Leaf Indica, Ortega, G13 x Hash Plant, Afghan DJ Short used for his Blue-lines and many more..
These are seriously good Afghanis from the old days, are you sure Affies of this quality is still grown there all over the place?

Cuttin-and-pastin' like a lazy sob and i'm kinda replying to myself, but maybe this is good info for this thread also.

Phylos Galaxy hash sample called Afghan Kush which is related to Northern Lights and some US kushes.
https://testing.phylosbioscience.com/sample/genotype/5old4ygv/

It's true origins isn't mentioned, but i think it could be from World of Seeds' Afghan Kush. I have found piney types from WOS's Afghan Kush and Northern Lights is piney, as is OG Kush which is apparently related to NL, according to info on Phylos Galaxy.

WOS might be making these seeds from their own parents now in Spain(?), but originally the genetics were collected from the valleys of Amu Darya river, not too far from Mazar i Sharif. So it's quite possible it's related to old hash cultivars, feral genetics that is.

Not all plants are winners but the seeds are quite cheap. There is some variation but there is very good plants in the mix as well. Some are very fast flowering, potent and frosty. Aromas range from fruity to piney-sweaty- hash to earthy.

World of Seeds Bank - Afgan Kush

Comes from mountainous system of Hindu Kush (north of Afghanistan).

Another pure land-race indica Kush, grows wild in the valleys of Armu Darya river valley that border with Tajikistan and Uzbekistan. It's a variety very stable (almost 100% indica) and probably has been the fruit of successive cross-backs between wild varieties Kush since the different races Kush, grow nearly itself in a geographic zone relatively reduced.

Powerful, smells like the best afgani hashish,we can consider a very valuable like a medicinal chemo-type.

Way of cropping: Mainly indoor/very good yield outdoor
Race: Pure race obtained from the Afgani Kush zone
Genotype: Almost 100% Indica
High: Less than 1.5 m indoor/ until 2 meters outdoor
Wide: Depending on prune. Some branched without prune
Growing time: Three weeks
Harvest time: 45-55 days indoor/average October outdoor/pollitano
Resistance to mushrooms: Average
Resistance to plague: Depends on the plague
Irrigation tolerance: High tolerance to frequent irrigation and fertilization
Yield: Over 400 gr per m2 indoor/ 500 - 600 gr per plant outdoor
Medicinal value: High (for its high content in CBD).Excellent like anti-emetic and antispasmodic
Smell: Hashish.
Flavor: Fruity-sweet.
Effects: Very narcotic, almost devastating

THC Level: 21.6% measured upon the rest of cannabinoids. 7.4% measured upon the rest of organic substances belonging to buds like: amino-acids, sugars, terpenoids, vegetal hormones, and cannabinoids (determined by gas chromatography coupled with mass spectrometry)

Cadfael

I thought "pre soviet" was the talk about hash.

The Afghani's used to store their kief. They would place it underground in jars and let it age two or three years. They preferred their hash higher in CBD rather than THC, so they would wait a few years and let it convert. The hash tasted more....complex. -Book "Hashish"

When the Soviets got there, the Rebels needed funding. Enter the CIA going to Mr. Nice with about 300,000 US and buying all hash they could get their hands on. Ever since, there was no aging to the kief. And the main priority going to yield rather than taste. -Book "Mr. Nice"

Last edited:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Far as I recall,
The "Pre Soviet" moniker came from the fact that the original seed stock was collected previous to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.
ISP is the only seed company I've seen that uses the moniker & if their story is true then the naming convention is sound, imo.

If someone took those seeds and made 1:1 selections then the resulting seed is no longer "Pre Soviet" because the variety that once was is no longer.

jets1925

Legitamacy

Legitamacy

I don't assume the preafghan talk is bs, but it is irritating not to be able to verify any of of it.

Gry

Veteran
This has to be one of the more interesting threads that I have run across.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sam delivered quality cannabis and he delivered well.

[/FONT]

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
good to hear highsteppa........hope all is well for you friend........been many moons since we first became acquainted............nice to know some old heads still gettin' it done..........

ganj on amigo..........

BlackBart

Veteran
Nice to see you both posting . Nice pic of the JS BF. I love the smell of this plant and the high is a plus . He has a new one out that's called Pakistan treasure I believe .

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
appreciate the heads up on Exsitu gear Bart.........also runnin' the Chitral Precious, but vermin been hammering this season.........made some hyb's with at least.........

ganj on.......

highsteppa

Veteran
Yes my friends, the years go by as quickly as the wind...here's my affy patch. Can't get the pics straight.

Attachments

• IMG_0245.jpg
    IMG_0245.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 21
Never understood the label....maybe just a reference to that 30-40 year period where Afghanistan technically wasn't at war and people were allowed to travel and collect seeds? Afghanistan and Pakistan at one point were huge backpacking destinations for hippies

Latest posts

Latest posts