What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Pre-Soviet" Afghani Question

StRa

Señor Member
Veteran
here's a picture of Richard Evans Schultes in Kandahar with some afghan girls!!!

Sorry but I don't know the year of this pic

schult_a.jpg

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
here's a picture of Richard Evans Schultes in Kandahar with some afghan girls!!!

schult_a.jpg

Well that pretty much confirms that the original afghani hash plant was not a sativa.

Ras Pablo

Veteran
From what I've read from those experts in the matter, there have been wild Sativas growing in those "Hashplants" areas since ancient times.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Yep, there are those sativa phenos even in Mazari. I think it was always the wideleafs that were used for the best hash. Like in the picture. It's just that I remember someone claiming that afghan hash used to be uplifting back in the days.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
FWIW :)

I am pretty sure Indicas were developed from Southern China varieties in the last five hundred years, after being moved to Afghanistan, et al.
The reason I like the more Indica Indica varieties is because the Indicas are cultivated for hash, the sativas just grow wild in Afghanistan and are mostly not even used, but they do contaminate the Indicas with Sativa genes, so you often see Indica/Sativa hybrids in seeds imported from Afghanistan. A good Indica to the farmers was one that made a lot of hash, on the flowers or leaves no difference, and the wild Sativas don't make as much hash.
If you saw fields in Afghanistan in the North from the early 1970's they were much more Indica looking because Cannabis was legal and proper seed production of pure Indicas was easier to accomplish and easier to obtain.
With 30 years of war the country and the genepool have been through hell.
Anyway what you seem to think of as normal Indica, is to me a mongrel of Indica and wild Sativas, while the exaggerated ones are the real Indica blood.
And yes I have many times grew out lots of seeds from Afghanistan and found Sativa or Indica/Sativa looking plants, but I have also grown out batches of seeds directly from Afghanistan that only gave classic Indicas. But to be honest every year they seem to be worse and maybe more Sativa.
Most seeds collected the last 10-20 years were from down south Afghanistan, while the best was always up in the north by Mazar & Balkh. Cannabis is a traditional up in the north with a lot of experienced growers and hash makers, as well as seed growers.

-SamS

Roms

.bzh
Veteran

schult_a.jpg

Looks Kafiristanica ;) Like DC, PTK or X18 :) CBG Pakistan Chitral Kush too...

That's strange because Kafiristanica is described as coming from Nuristan, up North Hindu kush!? Maybe collected there and cultivated in South by Pakistan passage !? Anyway i think that is the true old indica from high altitude (cause dwarfism otherwise?)

For me Mazari might be an evolutionary cross of Kafiristanica with Sativa divas from northern India or Nepal. More high in the narcotik, maybe that's why Mazari is dominant in Afghani cultures? It would be nice to compare and analyse medicinals differences between charas of old Kafiristan like DC or X18 and charas from Mazari... Nepal and Yunnan aswell to understand ^^ :yummy:

picture.php

An Afghan farmer tends to marijuana plants in Balkh province, north of Kabul, Afghanistan on Oct. 15, 2007. The fields of Balkh province in northern Afghanistan were completely free of opium poppies this year, a success touted often by Afghan and international officials. However, cannabis cultivation rose 40 percent in Afghanistan this year, to 70,000 hectares (173,000 acres) from 50,000 hectares (123,550 acres) grown in 2006, the U.N. Office on Drugs and Crime estimated in its 2007 opium survey. (AP Photo/Sameer Najafizada)

Yarkand

Some great video of group smoking hubble bubble traditional way with the baba !
Very good heart people.
100% respect honour and frienship for life !

Pakistan Zindabad

1st video you can see the garda being pressed into hash !

http://www.gettyimages.nl/detail/88394965/Getty-Images-Editorial-Footage

http://www.gettyimages.nl/detail/88394971/Getty-Images-Editorial-Footage

http://www.gettyimages.nl/detail/88394970/Getty-Images-Editorial-Footage

http://www.gettyimages.nl/detail/88394960/Getty-Images-Editorial-Footage

http://www.gettyimages.nl/Search/Se...mily=editorial&assetType=film&p=pakistan+hash

Enjoy

ps Raco DC has been popped and has sprung from the earth 2 day ago !! gracias !

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
It's is worth noting that Nuristan is very close to Chinese border, this is where you have the city of Yarkant that was the center of primo hash trade back in the days. It is very likely that a better presentation of those lines is now found in Aghanistan/Uzbekistan.

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
It's is worth noting that Nuristan is very close to Chinese border, this is where you have the city of Yarkant that was the center of primo hash trade back in the days. It is very likely that a better presentation of those lines is now found in Aghanistan/Uzbekistan.

I think Kalash people who live there in Nuristan have nice secrets and genes too^^, beautifull and sacred old miscegenation of human and culture ;) long before monotheism, mother Nature and animism first...
Alex Greek passage too :smoke:
http://edo-makedonia.pblogs.gr/2007/10/144762.html

Ethnobiology is an inspiring canna'key ;)

Yarkand

I know this has nothing to do with the thread but it is in the same region and its real. During the movie/documentary you will see chunks of unpressed garda and alot of other things that happen in the NWFP.

It is a very good watch and thought this might be the place to post this...

Son Of A Lion-Pashto (د زمرۍ بچۍ)

Review by Margaret Pomeranz

Australian filmmaker Benjamin Gilmour had major adventures making his debut film SON OF A LION in the North West Frontier Province of Pakistan, an area where foreigners are forbidden.

Disguised as a Pashtun he managed, with the help of the people of Darra Adam Khel and Kohat, to shoot his story of a young boy Niaz – played by the executive producer’s son NIAZ KHAN SHINWARI, who is not interested in following in his father’s footsteps by becoming a gunmaker, he wants an education.

His father, Sher Alam, played by SHER ALAM MISKEEN USTAD, a Pashtun warrior, a survivor of the mujahadeen insurgency against the Soviets. He rigidly refuses to allow Niaz to go to school, against the advice of the boy’s uncle Baktiyar Afridi, (BAKTIYAR AHMEN AFRIDI).

Made under the most chaotic conditions SON OF A LION is a major achievement. It gives wonderful insight into life in the weapons-manufacturing town of Darra Adam Khel and into the culture of the people – the hashish-smoking, the poetry and the patriarchy.

I must admit that a fair way into the film I thought I was watching a documentary, so natural are the performances.

SHER ALAM MISKEEN USTAD is just outstanding as the father, he’s beautiful.

All the performers were local people, untrained – it’s extraordinary what Gilmour achieved with them.

Gilmour’s screenplay was adapted with the local people so that there is a real authenticity. It’s narratively strong and character rich, and it’s been well directed by this newcomer to the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2suYpf1ba9M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SrJxMYjEYI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gchlzHp2jLo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gchlzHp2jLo

:wave:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ I watched the film all the way thru. The acting is so good it seems as though it is not a movie. There is even a shot of hash on a stick getting lit for dear old dad to ease his worries. hehe

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
I remember smoking the red seal and gold seal afghani hash during the 80's. At the time kind bud was scarce and afghani hash was always good to put on top of some commercial herb or smoke by itself. squeeze a small piece, press it between your fingernails till it is flat. I always remember the taste and high, sedative like an indica. Anyways, surely great landrace seeds are still in afghanistan and hopefully some people are bringing them back. our tax dollars at work!

vostok

Veteran
old post!
Mortar_attack_on_Shigal_Tarna_garrison%2C_Kunar_Province%2C_87.jpg

...in reply Not a thing!, we were more concerned about the opium making its way north
and causing more issues with our youth than some cannabis.
Although the west is fraught with shit propaganda you gotta read between the lines, that get even more hazy thru time,
I was 'teaching' in Vietnam at the time and some of that Vietnamese sativa has extremely heavy stuff, so when I arrives in the Ghan late '79
and all my buddies toking like hell on the wonders of Afganie Indica, I really had a lot of trouble trying to get high, my tolerance was thru the roof.
So took 2 months off and became an alcoholic instead,....now thats dangerous in a place like Afghanistan ...lol
I'm currently growing a crop of KC Brains, Afganie Special, thats very similar if not the same as we saw growing in various area of the afgan shit hole
good luck "V"

vostok

Veteran
I'm sorry if life's journey has led you through predicaments or peril, but this does not put me in the mind of "shit hole".

Dude..! Do not be sorry for all the soldiers I have killed,
in my time serving my country ..but give a thought to all those corpses,
regardless of their cause or their mothers feelings,
rotting, stinking in a shallow grave, miles - years from home,
knowing they will never return to see the loved ones,
most were like you, self inflated, egotistic, and self serving,
time will fix that as in time you will know time repairs all
in departing allow me to remind you of some standard cliches

1: All War is Shit! and done in shit holes

2: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Good Luck and with life's experience you too will eventually re-edit your signature

In 1973 I offered a $4 instructional in High Times to extract resin from gorilla anus

In 1973 I offered a $4 instructional in High Times to extract resin from gorilla anus

It is not war to disagree.

Last edited:
I think Kalash people who live there in Nuristan have nice secrets and genes too^^, beautifull and sacred old miscegenation of human and culture ;) long before monotheism, mother Nature and animism first...
Alex Greek passage too :smoke:
http://edo-makedonia.pblogs.gr/2007/10/144762.html

Ethnobiology is an inspiring canna'key ;)
:dance013: Yes! Roms the wise.

kalash3.jpg

Peoples of the Levant knew what to do with balsam prior to Zoroastrian, Buddhist or Macedonian influence. Wouldn't it be reasonable their eastern neighbors and migrant Indo-Iranians understood cannabis as well? Probably on a foundational basis as fiber (i.e., reeds and papyrus okay forget I mentioned it), but certainly as shamanistic.

I ponder the Huichol of Mexico and their pre-columbian roots, peyote ritualism carried over from as far back as the 3780 - 3660 BCE radiocarbon dating we have. A timeframe congruent with alleged collective consciousness, the animism, shamanism or ancestor worship of the era.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts