What's new

Pre 1937 stone.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just when i thought i'd heared it all...the pot has gotten better in the last hundred years.
funny, i recollect vividly how high i got off some Oaxacan or Panama Red back in the sixties, doesn't seem to have gotten any better than that. Fifty years ago; can't seem to accept that another thirty years would have made much of a difference in the quality back then. They weren't breeding for potency back then because they didn't need to, the evil weed was already supreme genetics...I mean being the devil's weed and all that.

I was not alive to experience those great strains, but hearing about them from people who were, is why I dont fall for the whole strain trend thing.

I bet there were cuts of panama red, Original haze and purple haze, and Maui Wowie that were 15 to 20 percent thc. it just had to be grown by the right folks, just as today. I bet some hippies with glass weather sealed green houses, horticulture degrees, and big balls grew some dank that would keep up with 90 percent of modern day strains.

Bi0hazard

Veteran
I was not alive to experience those great strains, but hearing about them from people who were, is why I dont fall for the whole strain trend thing.

I bet there were cuts of panama red, Original haze and purple haze, and Maui Wowie that were 15 to 20 percent thc. it just had to be grown by the right folks, just as today. I bet some hippies with glass weather sealed green houses, horticulture degrees, and big balls grew some dank that would keep up with 90 percent of modern day strains.

Very Possible...

Bi0hazard

Veteran
I'm curious about the possible CDB rates in the older strains of cannabis. Although they seem to come more from the indica side, I was always curious how much of the CDB has been lost from the genetics through breeding over the years. It seems once it was smoked, they went for THC profiles rather than accounting to what was happening to the CDB rates...

Burt

Veteran
anslinger was america's answer to jack johnson and all that his wins represented
he is plainly of the Nazi character no?

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
simos you are correct, but exaggerating.

they were not sofisticated breeders. they were farmers, who'd been farming since the beginning of time.
what is meant to grow, will grow. what is weak, why let it fertilize the strong?
plant breeding and selection has and always will be (in long term ag-based cultures) a VERY common sense approach.

one could argue, however, that the common sense approach is truly superior :)

"The gene pool is getting homogenized to a dangerous level these days, and it's the height of arrogance to think that there wasn't great cannabis out there prior to criminalization. "

that i will agree with !!!!

I probably read it on this forum, and it was probably without a listed source, so take it for what you will, but... I thought Bob Marley was complaining that (i presume lambsbread) the weed in Jamaica was getting replaced/watered down/ruined/whatever, from the imports of the 7-8 week stoney indicas.

Farmers were forgoing the islands sativas for the quick flowering indicas, presumably because more harvests per year equal more money.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
anslinger was america's answer to jack johnson and all that his wins represented
he is plainly of the Nazi character no?

Your analogy may be correct too, but Anslingers was americas answer to what to do with all the law enforcement officers who no longer had to bust bootleggers.

Lay off thousands of officers in the middle of the great depression or give them a new target? Look up the history of the ATF, it was literally born out of the end of (alcohol) prohibition.

g0vnaa

ICE Cream eater
Veteran
Very interesting subject.
I wonder what was it back then..
I bet there are no pictures, but I has to be different from what we see.
In Afghanistan, Thailand etc ... the buds must have been killer :ying:
I want to run in an Afghani hash field from 1800 :p

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
Also if you know the name of any strains that have a typically low yeild, low potency and long finishing time, but has some endearing quality, please post the name of the strain.

Thanks.

Rosebud, I'll quote:

the origins of blueberry said:
Rosebud on the other hand was a truly exceptional plant that was mainly grown for its wonderful aesthetic value but also for its amazing floral scent. This unique phenotype of Flo had tops that actually formed a rose bloom shape from leaves that turned bright red and then faded to yellow. There was very little harvestable bud on this plant, so it never made any commercial success although it was breathtakingly beautiful and highly exotic.