What's new

Power Cheese

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Res

Res

been through the wars a bit lately hey iffy? just melt a bit of snow into the res,that should do it .;-).lets both hope for a cold april and may ! keep a close eye on those roots ,i put that h202 in asap and dont take it out till the flush .another bottle of adds+ .sorry i never even saw ya sick plant until after i had messaged you.chin up and focus on the ones that you still have.good luck mate .willyweed

Hi Willyweed,
Thanks for the tea & sympathy mate. Hey its all good, just education!
I ran a high solution of H2o2 for 4 hours then cleaned down, stripping any brown roots I could get at. Everything washed down with strong solution & all utensils & equipment put to soak in the sink for an hour, again in a strong H2o2 solution. Then I ran 200ml in 100L res for 3 days. Adding another 200Ml every day. Then I cleaned everything down again, flushed em with water for an hour then they were ready for a new start.
Now you say keep the H2o2 going in till the flush - i.e. run a 'dead res'. I had a choice to make here and after much reading I decided on the 'active' res approach & go for 'Bennies'.
Clearly they can't co-exist so I stopped the H2o2 at that point and went with 25% Nutes. Great White/Vitalink Biopac/Voodoo Juice/Rot Stop & Bud Candy to feed all them bacteria.
Signs are good at the moment but it was a 50% loss. 7 girls left.
Still I'm pretty sure I've sorted the underlying problems out so my next grow should be far better.
Nice to hear from you.
Stay safe :tiphat:

gws35

Hey Iffy
Your seven girls and their Momma are looking outstanding, the few that didnt make it..eh no worries. Looks like youve got everything dialed in perfectly now, next round will be even better! :biggrin: Looks like theyre gettin close..any idea how long before harvest?

Stay safe and best wishes on a bountiful harvest Mate!

Iffy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Power Cheese

Hey Iffy
Your seven girls and their Momma are looking outstanding, the few that didnt make it..eh no worries. Looks like youve got everything dialed in perfectly now, next round will be even better! :biggrin: Looks like theyre gettin close..any idea how long before harvest?

Stay safe and best wishes on a bountiful harvest Mate![/quote

Hi gws,
It looked good for a couple of days & then bang - the rot's back with a vengeance! The bennies approach just doesn't work, well not at this stage. They look like shit again this morning so its back on the H2o2. One of them is about had it & the rest are struggling. I'm facing a total loss on this one I think.
I'll still use the GW for cuttings & mommas in soil but I'm gonna run a dead res from now on until I'm more sure of my environment. I made the wrong choice at a crucial period & know if I had continued with the first H2o2 treatment I'd have 7 healthy plants now. I wanted the bennie approach to work & it seemed to make sense but in the cold light of day - it failed.
I'll keep you posted mate, take it easy :tiphat:

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
That's tough to hear. Do you think the bennies fed the rot or that it just wasn't gone long enough?

Iffy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's tough to hear. Do you think the bennies fed the rot or that it just wasn't gone long enough?

Hi Wildgrow,
I'm not sure whether the bennies fed the rot or not, but they sure had no beneficial effect whatsoever. Maybe the condition was too far advanced for it to have any chance? I think I'll run Hygrozyme with a dead res for the foreseeable future. I'd love to be able to get Aquashield, SM-90 & Ridomil Gold here in the UK but we can only get it from the States for silly money.
Need to get one good, clean grow through to harvest, so I get a real 'handle' on the place. Maybe when I've got a couple of decent grows under my belt & I'm really confident in my environment, I will try the bennie approach again.

Iffy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Power Cheese

Hi Folks,
Just an update.
About two weeks to harvest on this mother.

I lost all her clones due to root rot, however I'm undeterred & crackin on with the next grow. She sure does smoke nice though already. Can't wait to try the finished product.

W

willyweed

hey iffy,sorry to hear about your loss.the mum looks good.lessons in life only make us stronger, its a bitch ya lost all the clones ,but hopefully the mum will hold ya until the next batch are ready.peace willyweed

Iffy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Power Cheese

Hi Folks,
Just an update to the diary;

All cleaned & ready for the next grow. New top, pipes & drippers. Cut to the new pattern - 12 only, 4 to each light. I spent ages setting these pots, using a plumb line from the corner of each light fitting. So each cluster of 4 pots is precisely positioned under its individual light. The last time I did this I just spaced them out on the table with enough elbow room to grow. Hopefully this will eliminate the areas of 'low growth' I experienced last time out.
Stay safe people :tiphat:

W

willyweed

looking good for the new clones ,when do do think they will be ready mate? onwards and upwards !

oldbootz

Veteran
at least you will have some decent smoke from the mom plant. your new setup looks immaculate! looks like an interior designer got in there and shined the place up.

Iffy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
What we wont do for this plant. How is the mom?

Hi Wildgrow,
I know - to the ends of the earth!
Mommas doing fine, sitting in the dark for 48 before the chop.
New clones are rooting and soon be ready.

Iffy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hows that mum smoking mate?

Shit, that's all gone already!! She was lush, nice uplifting buzz at first but real couch-lock if you keep going!
New set of clones went in today! So here we go again!

I've just flipped the mother who gave up the clones to flower, so soon be budding again!
Stay safe bruv :tiphat:

W

willyweed

good to see you back with all the little ladies ready to start again. ps buy a big bottle of h2o2 for emergency's .have you changed any of the system from last time mate?.keep safe

Iffy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
good to see you back with all the little ladies ready to start again. ps buy a big bottle of h2o2 for emergency's .have you changed any of the system from last time mate?.keep safe

Hi Willyweed,
Yes mate I changed a fair bit. I raised the back of the table by an inch & half to improve the flow and I've got more control of both res & room temps now.
However, I found the real problem when I had a post mortem on some of the girls. I had done a real fuckin dumb thing & then completely forgot about it!! I fitted some squares of plastic mesh in the bottom of each pot before the Hydroton went in, mainly to stop the balls falling out of the bottom. I had thought the holes in the mash were big enough but I was very wrong.
When I cut one open, the mesh square was completely choked with roots! All were the same, choked up and reduced/stopped the flow - inviting the dreaded root rot right in!!
Fuckin things you do without thinking man! Still another lesson learned the hard way :biggrin:
I feel really confident now that not only will my roots be free to grow but I've also got a good handle on my environment.
(5L of H2o2 in the wings) lol

Iffy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Diary Update

Diary Update

Hi Folks,
Completely knackered after a hard day of upgrading my loftie.
Replaced the 1st fan in the light cooling system with a 6" SVK L1 Fan and larger pipe & ducting, to improve heat removal. Crawling around in the wings drilling & cutting is hard for me and after a while I start to shake & I got to go & chill for a bit. Also any noisy work and I have to wait for my neighbour to go out. I worry about the 'cumulative effect' of many noises over a prolonged period of time, so I adopt procedures to minimise this. I'm always 'ninja' quiet when I'm working up there at night but even in the day I always focus on doing things quietly & steadily. Not dropping tools is one example. However, if I've got heavy work - hammer drilling etc, I have to wait for him to go out. My neighbour on the other side is stone deaf so no problem there but the other one is the nosey type so I'm real careful.
Today I set out the tools and materials needed and did everything I could up to the point where I had to do the cutting/drilling. So, make a cup of tea, roll a fat one & keep one eye out of the front window, waiting for Dennis (I'll call him that) to go out in his car. It's so frustrating! And I've had to do it soooo many times. Like my life is called: 'Waiting For Dennis'!
I didn't have to wait very long (sorta getting a handle on his routine) and away Dennis goes. Up I shoot, up the ladder and start drilling like a loon! I suppose it's quite comical at times. What we'll do to pursue our hobby - I ask you!
So job done, it did however show up some leaking gaps in the light fittings which all had to be taped.

It meant the 5" SVK fan could now replace the shitty 5" TT fan in my intake (1) position

I've got an eye on the warm weather to come, so if I do the work now it should help me out when it really counts!

New clones have settled in well & showing new growth.
Running: Canna Hydro Vega, H&G Roots Exelurator, Liquid Seaweed, Ancient Earth & 1% H2o2 (17.5%)

Last edited:
N

noyd666

IFFY, can relate the story about neighbours bloody funny that was,mine on one side coughs loudly when he gets close to my fence line and can hear me grinding etc,lol bit like a silly game, he's home all bloody day, but I just go about what i'm doing, games we play.

W

willyweed

waiting for dennis .lol new book title right there ! .what tape did you use on the light? .just brought a second hand air cooled shade (cheapskate me) was gonna seal with some heatproof silicon to be safe ! wow you have been busy keep up the good work! thank dennis hahahaajajjaja