What's new

Power Cheese

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Willyweed,
Still battling the heat & yeah - waiting for Dennis!
I've kinda thrown my hands up over the heat issue & gone against my instincts for now. I've decided to grow at night when its cooler & rest them from 11 am to 5 pm when it's warmest. I can't believe with all I've done, I still can't get control of the heat!
In a 13ft run of 6" ducting, drawing from a cool 'lung room' I have 2 x 380M3/hr SVK - L1 high-output fans, exhausting through 3 x 600W coolstar lights. No 90 degree bends and yet it still ain't enough & the real warm weather isn't even here yet!
I have two more tricks up my sleeve to improve the light cooling.
1. Another SVK - L1 fan on it's way. Gonna fit this to the chimney opening to help pull it all out, should greatly improve air flow.
2. Cut another duct pipe and hole in the chimney to separately exhaust the air con unit. Currently fitted via a 'y' piece to the light cooling system.
Problem with night growing for me is the noise, so more planning & sound proofing on the job sheet for this week. Also planning to upgrade the exhaust fan & can to an 'Air Force - silent Hurricane 8" Fan & an 8" Rhino can. Next upgrade will be the A/C unit. The 'average' 9000Btu unit in there now will come down stairs for my lounge and I'm gonna buy a 15000Btu 'heat pump' A/C unit for the growroom. Oh & then a water chiller.......... and on and on - you get the picture!
Stay safe & happy growing

Iffy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Taping light fittings

Taping light fittings

waiting for dennis .lol new book title right there ! .what tape did you use on the light? .just brought a second hand air cooled shade (cheapskate me) was gonna seal with some heatproof silicon to be safe ! wow you have been busy keep up the good work! thank dennis hahahaajajjaja

Hi again,
I use clear sellotape around the edges of the glass and silver, heatproof tape for all the seams. Its only when you put a powerful fan through them do you notice all the leaks!
:tiphat:

Iffy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Diary Update

Diary Update

Hi Folks,
Another diary update:

7 days in & the girls have settled nicely. The H&G Roots Exelurator is amazing, the roots are just bursting out!:woohoo:

Growing at night now, so my focus has shifted from trying to control the heat - to trying to control the noise! Still, I'd be bored if I didn't have something to fuck about with!
Stay safe & happy gardening! :tiphat:

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
I run my lights at night too. To keep temps down in the heat, and keep them up in the cold. Any idea if your beans sold out? Im still interested, I was waiting to see the finished product and then doom struck.

Iffy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Diary Update

Diary Update

Hi Folks,
Another diary update.
Usual shenanigans this week - waiting for bleeding DENNIS!
I got a new 6" LVK L1 fan & I wanted to fit it in-line with the other two fans in the light cooling system, right at the chimney opening.
I also ordered some 6mm Corex & acoustic expanding foam, which I made a box around my new fan with & filled it with the acoustic foam - lovely! Got my tools ready and switched to 'sentinel' mode, me & my dog watching out the window for my dear neighbour to go out. Out comes Dennis and unlocks his car - I get ready......Fuck, he's going back in the house! An hour later he goes out shopping by this time I'm grinding my teeth!
Struggled like fuck for the next two hours installing the fan into the tiny space behind the chimney. Drilled a hole through the double-wall for the lead to go into the growroom and spent another fuckin' half an hour trying to get the lead through the hole! Anyway, finally all in, ducted & running. I go downstairs with a big grin on my gob to make a cup of tea as a reward. Later that evening I step out in my back yard and I'm fuckin' horrified by the howling noise comin' out the top of my chimney!! Fuck, that is not condusive to staying free & out of trouble! So I bolt back upstairs and turn that sucker off. Time for a re-think. I go to bed pondering how I'm gonna sort it all out in the morning when it dawns on me - the fan's off and restricting the hole! It's all gonna overheat! So I stew on it for a bit but realise I'm never going to get any sleep worrying about it - so?
Fuck it - get up & do it now! Ninja mode - (I don't mind the black suit & the mask but them silly fuckin' shoes - please)
I sneak back upstairs and begin the strip down.

(Ripped from it's housing)!
Two hours later, it's all done, I'm covered in glass fragments from the insulation & itching like a opium addict!
All day in bed recovering yesterday but happy I sorted it.
The good news is the clones are jumping out of the pots! 10 days in & looking peachy. Roots are fluffy white & going crazy.

Supported with sticks as I've just super cropped them :biggrin:
Stay safe :tiphat:

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Best laid plans, as they say. The shoes are only a problem if you don't have the tabby socks to go with them.

W

willyweed

hey iffy,could not think of a finer place to stick my 500th post,well done on keep out smarting dennis ! perhaps you need to give him some idea's for a new hobby ! lol.girls looking good,keep up the good work mate .willyweed

Iffy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Diary Update

Diary Update

Hi Folks,
Another quick update.
Forced myself to fit the extra fan into the lights today, even though my back's fuckin' killing. Had to do something as I was climbing the walls. I was well strapped up & took my time, so got the work done.

Acoustic boxed fan fitted in 1st position. (closest to Dennis!)

Ugly but effective!

And fitted the extra 6" fan to the middle of the run. This should have a major effect on canopy & room temps.

12 days in & looking good :biggrin:

Stay safe & happy growing

Iffy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wake Up Call

Wake Up Call

Hi Folks.,
Just got to share my morning experience with you guys.
5 a.m. & I'm sound asleep (a rare thing in itself) and I hear a loud knocking at my front door. My dog Milly goes ballistic & so I start dragging myself up, still half asleep. I see a policeman part my curtains with a flashlight through the small window and he pointed at me and said; "C'mon open up, we need to talk to you!"
Strangely I didn't crap myself or panic and began strapping my back-brace on and grabbing my stick. "come on" He said
"Keep your fuckin' hair on" I shout back at him "I'm doing my fuckin' best"!
So, fearing the worst I open my door to two coppers, just as another police car comes rushing down the close.
"We've had a call from a neighbour about some noises" The copper tells me "And we need to come in"
So, the game's up & Dennis has done for me! I invite them in and am resigned to what's about to happen, so I start getting my thoughts together about who I should call first etc.
"Some one called in and said they heard screaming coming from this address!" The other copper said & I nearly laughed in his face!
Screaming! WTF!
My spirits rose a little but I couldn't believe what I was hearing quite, as I was still waking up. I realised that this wasn't over yet though! My grow room was on & in full flow above us and I could hear the soft hum of the fans, even if they couldn't.
"I assured them it was just me & my dog & that I was sound asleep and hadn't heard anyone screaming. They took a look around & one of them even looked at my loft hatch!! He looked under my bed & bathroom etc and then they both left!!
WTF??
I'm back in my bed by 5.15 wondering what the fuck just happened. I was absolutely convinced the game was up and then 'poof' - problem over. (I thought some bad things about poor Dennis for a short time) :biggrin:
I wouldn't have had that unforgettable feeling of amazed relief this morning, nor the two hours of giggling & laughing that followed - without that rude awakening. However, on reflection I would have rather it hadn't happened - my hair is grey enough!
Stay safe & happy growing people :tiphat:

Drift13

Really glad to hear it worked out in the end. I would still want to know WTF & by who. Hoping the rest of your day/week is much quieter.

W

willyweed

would of been a totally shitty ending if they had found a pair of scales ,big bag of weed ect.thats' too close to call close.just a medical grower trying to ease pain and save a few quid .are you going to carry on growing at night mate? would there of been any possibility of a noise from the room mate?

gws35

Whoooaaa I woulda sh#t my pants! lol But also a little strange, did they mention who called them? ..is there any way you could camouflage the attic hatch? Close one, and happy everything worked out for ya mate!:biggrin:

Iffy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks fellas, it did spook me out all day!
What the fuck was it all about? Just one of those strange, unexplainable things in life. Just have to carry on regardless. There's no way I can effectively hide the hatch as I'm up & down it a fair bit.
Still it did give me an idea. When I saw Dennis go out today I collared him, asking him the police had woken him up too? He didn't have a clue what I was on about! Must have slept through the whole thing. So I told him in detail what happened & that the police had searched my house thoroughly - including the loft! I'm hoping this will throw him off the scent (if he was ever on one!!) 'Just coz you're paranoid - doesn't mean they're NOT after you!'

Iffy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Diary Update

Diary Update

Hi Folks,
Another quick update;
No more scares but I've been a bit jumpy whenever a car comes down the close.
The girls are doing fine & growing really fast. I think the Ancient Earth has had an effect, coz they're jumping up.

1st day of week three. Super Cropped, pruned & F.I.M'd. Another few days & they'll be ready for the slow flip! :biggrin:

H&G Roots Exelurator seems to be doing the business.

Got some 10mm soundproofing to fit under my res today, which I'm doubling up to a 20mm foam bed for the res to sit on. This should quieten the noise from the pump & powerhead. Got to do a res change tomorrow anyway, so I can fit it then. Doing weekly res changes now & I know some people would say I'm wasting nutes but I think fresh ones are best. We shall see.
Stay safe & happy growing :tiphat:

Iffy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Diary Update.

Diary Update.

Hi Folks,
Another update to the diary.
19 days in and the girls are looking fine. Managed to string the SCROG net up again but it was a real mission now there's a lot less room around the ends of the table, due to the 'boxed' fans. I ended up crawling under the table to pass from side to side - not good for my back!!

Half way into my 'soft' or slow flip to flower. Added an hour to each end of the dark period to begin with. Then I leave it a day for them to settle and repeat the process x 2, ending up with 12 x 12. I've just flipped them straight to 12/12 for years with no obvious penalty but I just feel it's more natural for the light to change over a period of time, even though its only a week. Does flipping them straight to 12/12 stress the plants? Probably not but I'm sure they need a certain amount of time to adjust and settle to the new light regime. So maybe they adjust a little quicker with a 'soft' flip?? Who knows but it seems kinda intuitive and right to me, so I'm gonna continue the practice.
Stay safe people & happy growing :tiphat:

oldbootz

Veteran
looking great in there! soft flip will give you a slightly bigger yield because they will veg for a bit longer before the flowering hormones kick in properly. its very useful for landraces and landrace hybrids because they havent been bred to withstand a hard flip. but for those ppxcheese it shouldnt matter too much. thats my 2c anyway.