"Ill let you try my Wu-Tang style"
Veteran
I try not to think deeply.

How about I just post some Deep Congo.
picture.php

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
Sometimes I think about all the energy wasted with rainwater. All that weight falling to the earth...all that power of floods and broken dams.

The best way I could think to describe my vision is to think of a huge roof....in an area with lots of rain.(seattle superdome maybe?) ... Everytime it rains all that water usually is getting diverted to one "main drain" somewhere..ie.. sewer or spillway. Why not throw some hydro electric stuff in the path of the rain water? Generators could be fitted into drainpipes and stuff...free electricity everytime it rains...

alternatively...on a smaller scale but kinda the same idea...how bout small hydroelectric generators on our faucets and incoming water? In effect, "stealing" the energy from the water lines, but still receiving the same amount of water..just a little slower. Like think about filling up a glass of water...you can turn the sink on just a little and let the cup fill up slowly, or you can open the faucet all the way and blast water into the glass filling it almost instantly....but think of all that energy/power that's going to waste blasting water into the glass like that...it's kinda weird cuz you get more energy released from the faucet but you get the same amount of water and it costs the same....My mind thinks on the possibilities of this, although small scale....perhaps filling up a huge water tower while using the water to turn a generator...then selling the water.

Or....I doubt it would be possible, but, if you could make a small attachment on your faucet that can produce a higher $ value of electricity then the water costs to run it...I guess kinda using the water pressure as your "fuel" ...at that point you could make $ off selling the electricity back to the grid lol!... probably not possible though..you'd probably need an incredibly efficient mini generator. I haven't run the #'s on that though ;)

I dunno if I explained that well enough, but I think there's a lot of potential there...maybe not so much for home use..but on large scales like spillways and stuff in high rain areas I think enough energy could be produced to make it worth capturing.

I've looked around quite a bit but I've never seen any discussion of this on the net. Every search for something like "harvesting rain for power" just come ups with capturing the rain to drink or use...and no discussion of capturing the actual energy from rainwater.

just stoned and rambling....I have lots of ideas like this but my friends usually don't follow wtf I'm talkin about....maybe someone can stumble across this and use it somehow. That'd be awesome. :jump:

If the Bugs in "Starship Troopers" are so stupid, how exactly did they launch a meteorite out of orbit, half way across the galaxy and hit the earth? Can you imagine the calculations that would need to go into something like that?!

That's my deep thought.