What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Popeye's Chicken VS KFC Chicken

Popeye's Chicken VS KFC Chicken

• Popeye's Chicken

Votes: 86 54.4%
  • KFC Chicken

Votes: 34 21.5%
  • Neither one

Votes: 38 24.1%

• Total voters

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

every once in awhile temptation gets the best of me, maybe like tonight after watching several KFC commercials (why I sought out this thread) I might want to pick up some KFC the next time I'm down in Bemidji. I'll usually get it home, enjoy 2 or 3 pieces and then later I'll wonder why I bought a bucket of grease again, after a single serving it takes on a certain repulsive quality, original OR extra crispy :) like me ;)

that quote's from 10/12, I did go to KFC a week or so later and got 6 pieces of dark meat (original), 4 biscuits and a large side of green beans, it cost me $17.75, mother flocking ridiculous. got it home and busted into that bucket to find that they have drastically reduced the size of their chicken pieces, that shit was a slap in the face, instead of making 3 meals it was only enough for 2 w/some left over beans :).......

wordsux

After Sanders sold kfc he said, and I quote:

"The gravy tastes like wallpaper glue"

even sanders didn't like kfc...

obviously both suck but popeye's is better then kfc.... real fried chicken destroys either of these pretenders... willie mae's scotch house.. if your from new orleans then your know thats the real deal. I went there once and it was a religious experience..

those mini stacker sandwiches at KFC are addicting. who would have known to add pickles? missed the boat on that one.

Popeye's is definitely better though

vostok

Veteran
Copycat Popeye's Fried Chicken

From www.TopSecretRecipes.com. Popeye's Fried Chicken started in New Orleans in 1972. They sold "traditional" mild fried chicken but business was just O.K. They realized they'd have to sell a spicier alternative to their standard chicken recipe if they wanted to impress flavor-seeking New Orleanians. *Note - This is a copycat recipe, to expect it to be "exactly" like Popeye's is a little unrealistic.

Ingredients Servings 1-2 Units US

1 frying chicken, with skin cut up

6 cups vegetable oil

2 tablespoons white pepper

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2/3 cup all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons paprika

1 tablespoon salt

3 eggs

Directions
Heat the oil over medium heat in a deep fryer or in a wide, deep pan on stove.

In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, peppers, and paprika.

Break the eggs into a separate bowl and beat until blended.

Check the oil by dropping in a pinch of the flour mixture, If the oil bubbles rapidly around the flour, it's ready.

Dip each piece of chicken into the egg, then coat generously with the flour mixture.

Once the chicken is coated, it should be placed on a rack to allow the pieces to dry, which may take 20 to 30 minutes.

Allowing the pieces to dry will provide for more even browning of the chicken.

To fry, heat oil in a heavy skillet over a medium-high burner until the oil is very hot. Place the chicken pieces in the hot oil, skin side down, one piece at a time.
Leave enough space between pieces so that they are not crowded. This allows the pieces to cook and brown more evenly.

Continue to cook over a medium heat, turning until all sides are golden brown and the meat is cooked thoroughly.

As the pieces finish cooking, they should be removed from the pan and placed on a paper towel to allow grease to drain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popeyes_Louisiana_Kitchen

shithawk420

Veteran
I'm not gonna lie I like both too.I had KFC the other day but for them to say best in the world?they only say that cuase of the amount of chicken they sell.not hating,the breading on the chicken is good,but the meat is rather bland.just a friendly discussion here.I love to talk about food!Zaxby for the win!

redlaser

Veteran
In 1981 the chicken arrived packaged by the half chicken cut up on ice in bags. Bigger pieces than you see today. The crispy only gets the egg batter and mostly wheat flour. Original gets pressure cooked for 13 minutes at 350F and it has the spices so its generally better when done right and not stored over 20 minute. A marinated meat would possibly sell if the flavor was right.

shithawk420

Veteran
Yeah,buttermilk soaked chicken.oh I'm glad you brought that up cuase its gotta be about the temperature that important to moist chicken or I don't know.I can cook but fried chicken is tricky for me for some reason

redlaser

Veteran
Maintaining the cooking oil at 350F is a must to make KFC crispy. At the restaurant they have around 10 - 15 gallons of cooking oil per fryer so it's easier to maintain 350F for 13 minutes. At home using smaller amounts of oil would require fewer pieces of chicken to still maintain close to 350f cooking temp.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Yeah,buttermilk soaked chicken.oh I'm glad you brought that up cuase its gotta be about the temperature that important to moist chicken or I don't know.I can cook but fried chicken is tricky for me for some reason

The secret to frying chicken is to slow it down so the inside gets cooked.
When I put chicken in the skillet to fry, I add about an inch of water, and then put the lid on. Continue to cook until the water is mostly cooked out.

Flip all the pieces and do the same thing again- add water, and let the water cook off. Your chicken should be cooked all the way through. Simple, but I have seen a lot of people cook chicken, and it looks perfect on the outside, but bright red or pink on the inside. This is the solution. Or go to KFC or Popeyes.

redlaser

Veteran
The secret to frying chicken is to slow it down so the inside gets cooked.
When I put chicken in the skillet to fry, I add about an inch of water, and then put the lid on. Continue to cook until the water is mostly cooked out.

Flip all the pieces and do the same thing again- add water, and let the water cook off. Your chicken should be cooked all the way through. Simple, but I have seen a lot of people cook chicken, and it looks perfect on the outside, but bright red or pink on the inside. This is the solution. Or go to KFC or Popeyes.

So are you only adding water to the chicken to fry, no oil? It sounds a lot better that way because chicken has plenty of fat already, no need for any more. I don't believe I've ever had fried chicken that wasn't cooked with added oil.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
neither .. I like to shove a beer can up a chickens ass ,toss it on the grill and cook it myself...I like kfc gravy tho for some reason..yeehaw..sprite and sodas can work too ...

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
adding water is not frying the chicken its more like boiling it....I want a pressure deep fryer for crispy quick chicken...yeehaw...the kfc recipe aint no secret I got it somewhere..kfc pressure cooks too that how the crust is so good..

redlaser

Veteran
I'd be interested in the original recipe if you find it. The original is pressure cooked for 13-14 minutes at 350. The crispy gets dipped in flour twice with egg batter dip but is cooked until it floats for 13 minutes at 350. The gravy is made with a mix that comes pre made but what makes it good is they add what we called cracklins, crispy edges of original chicken that are gathered when the pressure cooker gets its oil changed.