What's new

please tip? im trying to make a living..

please tip? im trying to make a living..

• Recession b*tch!

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Tipping for good service is a part western civilization.

Votes: 53 73.6%
  • Not big on the tipping theory.

Votes: 11 15.3%

• Total voters

Norrath

WTF man?
I'm jewish and tip like 5 bucks on a 15 dollar order. I tip at least 20% at restaurants. Moneys just money to me and I'm far from cheap. I know your just fucking around but stereo types piss me off. Except for Asians being bad drivers.(that ones true)
Next time your about to talk bad about jews, think twice please.
yes4prop215.....ah nevermind. QFT instead:)

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I always tip on food, even food delivery of course. I tip well
& like to get my food hot and fast, I get that point across to
the delivery drivers in a friendly & generous way, a symbiosis
of sorts. I don't get anyone high for security reasons. lots of
drivers are college kids needing the bucks which brings me to
my next point....... you college kids need to learn how to tip
or stay away from those situations, turn about's fair play and
karma can be a bitch, don't cry about getting no tips if you're
not willing to give them in similar circumstances. pick up your
pizza instead of stiffing a driver, have you no shame?

Tipping drivers:
is not a 15-20% restaurant type of gratuity but would it break
the bank to thank the guy/gal for getting there hot and fast by
giving a good tip? Don't be shy to make it known you'd like to be
first on the run of stops as opposed to last, make sense don't it?
"Please, we'll always have a good tip if you can get it here hot
and fast"
will usually assure you get it right AND right now.......

delivery people continually tear up their vehicles doing urban stop
and go driving and have little reimbursement for gas/mileage from
the company they work for, they take the job BECAUSE it is a tip
type of job, why fuck them unless your food's always cold and then:

politely inform the driver that the reason there's no tip is because
you always seem to get cold food delivered in a less than timely
manner, maybe use a competitor from a nearby town willing to get
you your food fast & hot, wouldn't that be tip worthy?

Grateful D

Man i dint know so many people were so ridiculious! Recession? I keep seeing that word and keep laughing! If your being affected by the recession i dont think ordering food and going out to eat is the most practical or economical thing to do. If your going to include ordering food in your budget, plan on a tip period. On that note.....
I am a server at a fine dining resturant and a busser at a popular national chain resturant. I am not asking you to just give me money, i am asking you to pay for the service of eating out. There are alot of shittey servers out there, but if you are out to eating and your server is prompt, attentive, and friendley tip them well. If every time you look down and your drink is full, and your plates are cleared without your conversation being inturpted or you even noticing it, then pay for it. if im sitting on my cell phone and not paying attention to you then dont give me shit. I am a I mean are people that stupid? I work for my money to, at 4.65 an hour, and if your to lazy to make your food then PAY somone to bring it to, either by car, or by hand when you are a guest in thier employers establishment, get out of your own self centered lives. Just bc your misserable and broke you dont have to make other ppl misserable and broke too. Obiviously in other jobs you are not tipped, but you are compensated with a higher wage. This post is for ppl in the US, i am not familiar enough with customs in other countries to say anything that pertains to them, But here that is out custom and if you dont like it learn to cook, or order for pickup, if you dont have money to tip but still want to order food from somewhere pick-up is a viable option. almost everywhere does take out and though tipping is nice, its not as expected or needed bc the ppl that are making your food are hopefully getting paid deaseant wages, no one is waiting on you. And if you dont have a car to pick up food or money to tip, get a job or start growing some bud

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
I believe in tipping...but only if I'm impressed by your awesome,speedy service.

I used to be a paperboy delivering 4AM in the morning...I never got a tip...so i upped my price for some folks that I deemed "sensitive" customers.I also never lost a customer jacking their price... had a 100 people paper route and raised the price on 55 of them...lol

But You have to wait until Christmas holidays for tips..So thats once a year..ugggg but..Christmas is a good month thou.

Make a living off tips ? no way..build a good rapport with the customers and ask if they have recycle bottles..then go cash those.You'll be surprised how much they give out.

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
I tip. I'm a delivery guy, but I can't go through a night comparing tips. After 11 years of driving around a delivering things, it averages out $3.50 to $4.25 per delivery including delivery charges. The difference between hi/lo is the delivery charge. I currently get 80 cents per, but I also get an hourly wage.

If the average order is 20 bucks, it's at or above the 15 percent National Standard. So keeping notes on who tips well and who doesn't just seems like a waste of energy unless you can somehow change the order of things so you get all the good tippers.

I will keep notes on who comes to the door in underwear and those who don't.

thc43

Veteran
tips. I dont do it your wage comes out of the employers profit margin, in OZ even a pizza guy is on $15 to 18+fuel+ tips.

id tip someone that went out of there way to make me feel welcome or did something there job doesnt really call for. OP IF you packed my shelves and fridge had a smile, took shoes of and showed respect for me and property then you have deserved an extra 10% to put in your pocket.

I KNOw in the US tipping is a big thing, in OZ WE call it cadging or begging:comfort: You may see a tip jar at the register from time to time but id rather slip a hot waitress a tenner for her personaly rather than sharing tips amoungst the good and crap service givers.

IM no prick i just dont pay for nothing or if its expected your going to get the middle finger, id rather give the homeless or window washers a 20 so the can take a break or use it on drugs:whistling:.

OP
MAKE an effort put on a smile, carry goods to kitchen counter maby load the freezer if there buying 1/2 a cow basicly go the extra mile and yyou will get a few more tips..

id never work for tips only much like a kids job like a paper round $5 an hour lol. no piss take mate it must be so different over in the US with the population you have maby you can do alright.. YOUr problem is nobody tips because your already paying a premium for home delivery i bet buyer assume your on a wage, wear a shirt
"i work for tips only" or keep you hand out until the you get coin or a door to the face.

I think you should definitely be getting a tip. I work on 10% +

You are providing a service , the basic if anything is shit, so I think tipping in the service industry is necessary. ( and I use the term service loosely)

I waitered for 3 yrs , and it sucks fucken dick when u work hard , and get no gratitude!

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you dont tip at least 15% for decent service or 20% for good service then you are a cheap piece of shit douche bag. Waiters and delivery drivers depend on tips. they dont make shit hourly. They are paid by the customer for their service not the company. if you cant tip well then you should just die. Dont forget to tip on wine ad alcohol too. full tip, not cheap excuses like oprah said you dont have too. fuck that cheap bitch. she has no fucking idea.

if i had to share one lesson life has taught me, its this.

dont fuck with the people that handle your food.

if i can afford to order out, i can afford an extra finski for the driver.

buckeye-leaf

cannabis enthusiast
Veteran
^^^^^^
another reason to go to white castle while hammered after a good show only tip ya have to give 'em is a cold beer

bens lab

I went to the US a few years ago I couldn't believe all this tipping stuff. Everyone has there hand out for a tip. Why not just pay for what you owe and thats that? It's practically begging.
Over here I would never tip for food delivery, and it wouldn't be expected either.

I realise it's very different in the US though, I wonder how that all came about.

D

DogBoy

I don't believe the responses on here. It should be considered mandatory to tip decent, you should feel like the cheap P.O.S. that you are if you don't tip. If you do not have the money to tip, don't order out simple as that. The company should pay their employees better but that does not excuse your rude anal behavior for not tipping fairly. I don't have lots of money, never did, but I always tipped fairly on the rare occasion I ate or ordered out, and even gave homeless guys a dollar most of the time. Hopefully someday things will come back around and I will be rewarded, but I don't do it for that. I take it back, I don't want to be in the position where I would depend on the kindness of others so I don't care about it "coming back around". I am a firm believer that good deeds will be rewarded by karma and assholes will get theirs. I hope I am right. peace

edit: that picture is just cruel and out of line whiterabbit. you will get yours

You consider it mandatory to tip fairly. Fair enough. Where is the line then, should all service industries be tipped. Do you tip every shopkeeper or food retailer, delivery driver, garage attendant, where is the line? Where is the list of people it's appropriate to tip so you dont feel like cheap POS as you so elegantly put it. His salary is part of his job, at what point does it become our problem, what gives us the right to determine his wage, his employer should do that. He knew the wage when he took the job.

you make good points dogboy, yes the employer should bear the burden but unfortunately that is not the way it is, and in that case we can all do what's right and treat others the way we would treat ourselves.

D

DogBoy

In a perfect world eh!. All this relying on tips should end. You do work, you get paid by the employer. The customer is already paying for food and should not be charged for you to give it to them.
I'm more curious how it ever came to be socially accepted. It's actually quite weird if you apply it to other things. How much would you tip the guy who sold you a car for example? 5-10% of $60.000 is a lot to tip!

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

good points DogBoy but there are many jobs out there that
are objectively 'tip' based depending upon quality of service
rendered. Taxi drivers, waiters/waitresses, room service, the
hair dresser/barber, pizza delivery to name just a few but as
you said where does it stop?

My mail man: locks my parcels by key in my shed instead of
leaving the customary 'pick it up yourself' notice on insured
signature items, when obvious dividend envelopes arrive he
locks them up too so that my money is secure from theft.
He gets a Xmas $$$ gift,a Harley t-shirt or trinket & weed.

The G-man: picks up what the neighbors cat might scatter
and secures my cans/lids properly even though he's allowed
to leave them on the ground street side for me to pick up. I
find my cans on my driveway w/room for me to get past them
when I get home on Tuesdays. If they see a red ribbon tied
to the lid they go to my side yard to pick up extra debris (not
their job to do btw) I can't deal with. @ Xmas time I tip them
BIG, food, drink, weed and $$$ which is usually a party of 4-5
guys that rotate shifts during work but all show up for Xmas.

Anyone who provides me with a service and then goes out of
their way to better that service become tip worthy in my book.
The services they provide to me reduces my stress for sure.

Shit runs downhill.......
my local honeydripper (septic service) arrives mid October every
year and gets paid well for his service, he pulls the levers and the
pumps but the kid working for him gets the shit end of the stick
literally, him I give a tip to.

I can avoid tipping, eventually I'll be picking up my own parcels @
the p.o., picking up/looking for lost lids from the cans every week
but I'd rather be thankful that someone else is willing to fight the
elements every day of their work week. Don't you think the pizza
guy delivering in the rain because you didn't feel like going out in it
yourself deserves a little something for the effort? I do.......

Charybdis

In a perfect world eh!. All this relying on tips should end. You do work, you get paid by the employer. The customer is already paying for food and should not be charged for you to give it to them.
I'm more curious how it ever came to be socially accepted. It's actually quite weird if you apply it to other things. How much would you tip the guy who sold you a car for example? 5-10% of $60.000 is a lot to tip!

All this smoking marijuana illegally should end. You want to smoke, you get the law changed and make it legal. Citizens are paying for government, and shouldn't be breaking the law to get one they want.

I'm more curious how it ever came to be socially accepted. It's actually quite weird if you apply it to other things...

thekingofNY

Cannasseur
Quite the popular thread... without reading it all, I think waitstaiff and delivery drivers sometimes think they are automatically entitled to tips. They dont fucking understand you only get tipped for GOOD service. If the guy brings average service, hes getting a regular tip. Makes me angry when people just give big tips for any old reason, even if they got poor service.... this sort of thing just encourages more bad service.

way to many times ive heard waiters and bartenders talking about how they expect a tip just for bringing the food/drink. Hey asshat, its your fucking job! You do it well and you get a tip. Its not automatic.

D

DogBoy

Yours,s4l, i think is possibly one of the more balanced opinions. My only difference is i prefer to return a favour with a favour. I do tip the 'pizza' boy and cabbies but i dont tip elsewhere. That said i will happily bust a gut to help people in return for simple courtesy.

I believe you can measure a lot about a man by his action and his words. I'd be happier eating somewhere i knew the employees were treated and paid well. If i am expected to tip i assume the pay and conditions are poor and will often eat elsewhere.

How often has someone spat in food because someone didn't tip. The non tipper may be skint and only have enough money for food, he then gets punished for not paying the waiter. the system should not exist as it promotes poor pay/conditions and divides the customer and the staff. Properly paid employees will also work well, you should not rely on falseness and overfriendyness to procure basic wage.

groady-ho

as is all-too-common in my life, I succumbed to my
Veteran
anytime we go out to eat we always tip 20% for a good waiter/waitress and 15% on a poor one..

Latest posts

Latest posts