What's new

Please breeders we still want regular seeds too...

Tom Hill

Veteran
OG.Gotti the deficit of heterozygous individuals (inbreeding depression etc) is a product of numbers, not technique.

Morphote

Veteran
Ok. I understand you. Then, I must ask, how do we (scientifically) explain males? If we don't need males, then why and how have they evolved? Are they a mistake? Logically they must offer some natural advantage or else how can we explain their survival? I aplogize if this is off topic/irrelevant.

M.

OG.Gotti

Veteran
Thanks Tom.. I don't really have a scientific understanding of breeding so to say but it does highly interest and I look forward to learning more.. I have respect for such people like yourself, DJ, Chimera, SamS, Shanti/Nev...

Tom Hill

Veteran
We explain males because dioecy stands a better chance than hermaphroditism in a natural selection evolutionary setting. It is generally accepted that a species containing males is better able to survive than one that doesn't because it promotes outcrossing thereby avoiding inbreeding depression. However, if we are thinking about using this as a lucid argument against gynoecious selection, then we may as well do away with artificial selection in its entirety too while we are at it, imo. Artificial selection -breeding- begins with throwing out what happens in nature. -T

Tom Hill

Veteran
If it makes anybody feel any better this technique is only relatively new to cannabis. For several decades, breeders of everything from vegetables to grain species have been quite intentionally bypassing the natural breeding devices of said plants with zero observable detrimental effects. So while there is a notable absence of scientific argument against, there is certainly no such shortage on the for side. The sky does not seem to be falling imo. -T

OG.Gotti

Veteran
So we could continue on breeding with only females without a negative effect on the species as a whole..

monkey5

Veteran
TomHill, You just took a subject "like" chinese math, (breeding), & female seeds, and made it make sence to me .. understandable! Thank you! Lol.. monkey5

Tom Hill

Veteran
OG, The two are not connected in anyway, shape, or form. You can succeed or fail miserably with any technique as far as cannabis is concerned.

funkpew

Damn Tom that was a lil harsh, us wanna be's have to start somewhere. Sorry my small brain thought you needed males to breed but now that I know better life is peachy again. I will get on my studies and maybe one day my efforts will contribute to the cannabis world.
But seriously thanks for the input & info

That's nice to hear but don't ever take one person's word for it. Do your own reseach and find the answers from a different perspective as well.

SGS

In The Garden
Veteran
That's nice to hear but don't ever take one person's word for it. Do your own reseach and find the answers from a different perspective as well.

Very well put bro,

Even tho Tom has his own views on subjects it doesn't mean you need to take his words as the word of God. Use males as you see fit, just remember most of the elite cannabis today was made using Male x Female crosses and very selective breeding. For this reason and others I will be always offering seed stock in both REG and FEM versions of a variety if posable.

SGS

skrewball

Yes, I totally agree with you on this subject. They are trying to take over the market. By only offering feminized seeds they are forcing us to spend the money on new seeds instead of allowing us to harvest our own. It's an outrage!

Just like someone or two pointed out earlier in the thread...If you don't like it, don't buy it.
I'm sure many can realize that there's an overwhelming number of folks out there who don't know or don't care about saving seeds, & all they see is the picture on the packet,(unfortunately, these are the types of people that drive the feminized seed market).

There will be a few who continue non-feminized breeds so stick with whoever makes you happy.

MtnLivin

I know of a breeder coming to the scene very soon who is going to release nothing but S1's of all the clone only elites... Fair prices as well.. under a hundo.

Feminized seeds is another name for hermaphrodites!
Most threads I read here about plants getting male flowers they usually mention they are growing feminized seeds.

KiefSweat

Veteran
once we can get people to start using the correct terminology then we can at least start talking about the same thing.

i don't really care how you bred it as most "breeders" can't explain that much if it gives you excellent seed.