What's new

Please breeders we still want regular seeds too...

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Out of curiosity...what plants are you running?

Rez, Mosca, Karma, MNS, SoL, many more...pretty much any company that is not going the fem only root and is not too big to take care of customer service. I would rather starve the all fem companies of my money and that is incredibly easy to do with such a lush and vibrant market which many of them despise it seems. I have no interest in buying anything not already m/f unless it is worth crossing out. I have found smaller lesser known breeders to be far superior than most larger breeders and can't name one larger breeder that has gone all fem that I even cared did. Most of it was commercial generic shit anyways with poor germ rates or there were alternatives to go to. Too many companies getting too big and not being able to keep up quality or originality.

Before this thread I was on the fence concerning fem's quality of breeding and possible damage to the genetic pool. Now with even those fears slowly going to the way side it still has not made one bit of difference in me wanting males and the wider diversity and utility that comes with m/f seeds.

Fem's are a niche market and always will be just like the new secret 'end all' and auto-flowers. Everyone has their place and as long as technology and research advancements are made more will be added to the pool. All fem companies and companies that go strictly artificial seeds will be niche companies with smaller market shares. No one is dominating anyone out of the market imo they all serve a target audience and I welcome all innovation to the table.

KiefSweat

Veteran
what fucking genepool?

in case those seeds fall in a crack in your basement and sprout when the aliens beam down light?

You have closet breeders breeding for closet growers. If you where growing cannabis in the field, you'd be buying "feminized" seeds just like the farmer has since 1958 or so.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I never said it did damage I questioned it before I read this thread and was educated. I also never said I would not purchase because of a genetic reason. I do not purchase because I want males and all the utility the comes with it. While it is entertaining trying to be sold the fact they are useless I completely disagree. I buy seeds for variety because MJ has an amazing amount of expressions unlike the mundane and boring crops one would be planting to "farm" and as a consumer I will choose a company to purchase seeds from that allows the easiest way to get variety for the consumer (males). Walk over to the seed selling section in any lowes or walmart and it is fuckin boring as shit just like all fem bean market would be and artificial seeds. It will be sold to a niche market like everything is because people will still desire m/f as well and others will supply the demand. No pair of pants or t-shirt is going to replace all other clothing in the clothing market...In the tomato and corn market there is still a thriving heirloom market with original products...a quick google gets you to originality and quick trip to lowes gets you big seed companies that sell the same boring shit to the average joe who doesn't know better. Fem beans, test tubes, haploid breeding, tissue culture weren't 'end all' in those markets either..."Sky isn't falling"...just different options opening up.

Last edited:

Quasimodo

Just Schnazzleberry #2 right now. It's the only strain I've found that actually helps with my severe backpain.... Or atleast makes my pain, caused by charco-marie-tooth disease, manageable.

I've ordered LA Confidential though, should be here any moment.

Out of curiosity... did you have a point? Sorry but I feel like your reply was meant to be hostile.

I'll add my two cents to this...

I don't know why but every keeper in my mother room has come from regular seeds. (except the clone onlys) I have had some good results with fem and bad results with fems but it seems all they produce are average plants. Stability was a issue for me as I had huge hermi probs with some of the fems... Never, ever a problem with the regulars I've ran the past 20 years from sensi, serious, mns and cali con.

All in all the only breeder that will get my money is one that offers regulars. IMO fems are for closet growers still living home with their moms.

BlueGrassToker

Stability of a line can see the very same issues whether the seeds come from regular breeding or feminizing. There is nothing about the act of feminizing that will bring about less than stable plants. What you experienced, starwatcher had nothing to do with how the seeds were propagated. Most every ill we see can be attributed to the parental plant selection or from the nutrients and environment we give the progeny of those parent plants.
And even though you may have been growing for 20 years, you have but scratched the surface of available genetics.
I am a proud closet grower! I suppose you aint?? lol...

bloyd

Veteran
I will never buy feminized seeds. If a breeder wants my business they better stick to the natural way.

Just Schnazzleberry #2 right now. It's the only strain I've found that actually helps with my severe backpain.... Or atleast makes my pain, caused by charco-marie-tooth disease, manageable.

Out of curiosity... did you have a point? Sorry but I feel like your reply was meant to be hostile.
Hey Quasimodo,

That schnazzleberry 2 you are easing your pain with may very well be "feminized" as chimera used reversed females for some of his pollen donors in the bb projects.

Y

YosemiteSam

I can see how it appeared that way. Just wondering what breeders you were talking about. No quarrel with Chimera at all...fem or not.

It did occur to me though that you might be growing one of the pollen chuckers who happen to have elite clones and cross them with all kinds of stuff and then no testing at all they release seeds and then some fanboy finds a good pheno and the hype circus is on.

I probably would have found some cruel irony in that. So you might have actually sensed right...I have that side to me. But...good on ya that you found something that helps your back pain.

Quasimodo

Hey Quasimodo,

That schnazzleberry 2 you are easing your pain with may very well be "feminized" as chimera used reversed females for some of his pollen donors in the bb projects.

You may be right and it never occured to me as 3/10 in my pack were males. I stand by my statement though. I think alot of breeders are missing out on sales because they've decided to go the strictly feminized route.

I for one would love to grow some "Super Lemon Haze" because of the fantastic grow reports I see on here... but because it is an only feminized offering GHS has missed out on my business.

I hope the breeders are reading this because it shows there are a large number of growers who will not buy from them, me included, if they only sell feminized seeds.
Don't forget in the end we have the power to dictate whether a breeder sells only feminized seeds, because we can withhold our business and bankrupt them.

numberguy

Oh,really? Yes there will be a strand outside my bedroom window seen it more than a few times. I am aware of plants that need man why should this be one more? Backbreeding is a bit different than backcrossing. Blocked = not allowed to express themselves.
I dont consider a gene purged but just blocked never gone. With just a couple of generations of reversals the last true male will be hard if not impossible to be found in the reversed seed strain. Mode of action is breeding, it leads to all genetic changes. I was not aware that most elite cuttings were the result of reversals, most descriptions do not make this clear. Nor can I go to a dispensary to prove that male parental input is lacking in them, but that was my point you will not be able to find the male. True males are about the only way to genetically increase potency.

numberguy

Yes a new male can be made from reversed lines but he will not be able to access the male genetic material from before the reversal, only from the reversal forward. So if something interesting was hidden in the male side pre reversal it will be blocked.

BlueGrassToker

True males are about the only way to genetically increase potency.
Really?
Hmmm....
Imagine, if you will, having a keeper female of mediocre potency and another cut of a very heavy hitter. If you reverse the potent female and pollinate the female with lessor potency, will the progeny not take on a common 2,1,1 genetic makeup of a hybrid cross?
One could assign a number designating potency to the plants...say a 1 for the low potency strain and a 3 for the high potency, then do a punnet square. This could help you visualize the fact that 75% of the progeny of that particular cross has the potential to be more potent than the original mediocre mother plant.
The above simplifies things quite a bit, but it easily illustrates what you are claiming to not be true.

And for those who think they can manipulate the market...guess what...its already being manipulated by what the market demands. Its YOU that are in the minority of growers if you refuse to use feminized seeds. Markets trend towards where the profits are and what is demanded by the consumer. It is quite obvious what growers want and demand by just watching the market.

Ok, lets find out.
I want to post a poll; Do you buy feminized seeds only? Do you buy regular seeds only? Do you buy both?
But I don't know how to post a poll; maybe someone else here who knows how to do it could put a poll at the top of this thread?

BlueGrassToker

Not sure what you expect to find out, Nog. The numbers of participants here in total are only a miniscule representation of the total amount of growers and seed buyers.
Many folks, such as myself, will never participate in these polls to begin with because we know they are, for the most part, meaningless. :dunno: