What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Playing with Trichomes

purcellville

Self Proclaimed Hash Whore
ICMag Donor
Veteran
is that the honey bee extractor? how is your experience so far with it? Something about a whole bottle of butane scares me.

See I was a dumb fucking kid 15 years ago and set my ass on fire trying to boil off some ISO.... The fear still runs deep.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
well the cool thing about the bho method is that the butane is evaporated really quickly, in a matter of 5 minutes or so all the liquid butane boils away. you just put the dish into a hot water bath. so no electricity is even needed.

but to be honest, i some how prefer the bubble hash for normal use. bho is not a product i would feel comfortable smoking on a daily basis, mind you i don't hit bubble daily either, still it is very easy on the lungs and most effective. even if it's difficult to handle due to the sticky consistency.

Last edited:

purcellville

Self Proclaimed Hash Whore
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am sure I will get a set of bubble bags here real soon. I have 3 large blocks of grade A trich covered trim in the freezer fresh frozen awaiting the bags.

Guess I need to get my MO out the door one of these days. trying to decide on that nifty washing machine thingy.

Maximo

Just a hashy taste gaius, not flowery, piney or sweet?, mine tastes like pine most of the time but the pad has to be glowing to get that taste, I did notice that there are different tastes by how how hot the pad is, I like mine glowing, looks like you have an older model with the thin ti plate?.

And the gong to :D its good to be the king huh? :)

Using good buddage (whole) for oil only gets you a better looking oil I think?, potency wise its all been the same, you know me I'm always experimenting lol.

Vaping oil everyday took me about 2-3 weeks to get used to gaius, but I have to wake-N-bake to bubble, oil is just to strong for me in the morning.

Keep up the good work m8
~Sir Max~

Dkgrower

Veteran
Hey gaiusmarius, have you tryed just to let the liquid gas evaporate a room temperatur, I have found the oil has a more rich flavor compared to when one is boiling off the liquid gas.

It takes abouth 15-20 min fore 350ml of liquid gas to evaporate at room temp

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Hey purcellville

those washing machines have a important advantage for bubble making. the time and the gentle movement, make for good quality in the shortest time.

thanks Maximo,

i'm always glad to hear your opinion on these matters. so do you usemostly ground bud?

to be honest, i have no need for bigger oil hits then the vaporizer gives me lol. the gong curve is more for hot knives, at least that's the idea.

i tried a red hot hit today and found it nice, but not really different to before when i didn't make it quite red hot. i did notice the vapor came quicker. it seems that is more a combustion, rather then a vaporization? but it sure hits the spot, that's for sure. :D

i don't think i want to smoke oil on a too regular basis, lol. how do you see the health aspect? the more concentrated, the better?

Yo Dkgrower,

thanks man, i will certainly try it next time. i think i also waited too long to scrape the oil together, as it was very dry and hard, not like the first time, where i scarped it right after evaporating the liquid butane.

anyway this is the first batch i made with some PP buds.

Gaius, would you smoke that "cooking grade" and compare it to a kind of bud? I have been totally in awe about hash and have been wanting to know as much i can about it so when i try it i will be able to enjoy it fully. Hash here is sold 50 dollars a gram and i havent wanted to seek it out at those prices. Specially when great great buds are 10 dollars a gram. But still, anytype of hash seems on par with bud. Well at least the higher micron screens seem to be by the contents and how it looks somewhat like the other hash. Is it smokeworthy at all? Compare it to buds for me.

Maximo

Thanks for the kind words gaius :)

Yeah, I only use whole because its what I have lying around these days, I had allot of old powdery buddage and low grades of bubble that looked like yours when I started making oil 2-3 years ago so I've gotten to see the difference, not that there really is much a difference I think?

Health aspects hum, don't know, I don't smoke that much oil due to its strength, but I'm a realist and see that were all breathing in crap from all over the place all of the time and pot smoke is just one of them, I think lung wise its better than bud smoke hands down but no better than bubble smoke, but yeah the very low amount of smoke I have to take in from oil or bubble has to be better than smoking buddage every day, and my lungs feel allot better since switching to bubble 4-5 years ago so I feel that its better?.

Man I'm jones'n to get started with the glass blowing, gotta wait 4 more weeks for my kiln to get here :(

Later Bud

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
@ OneWingedImp

i don't believe the cooking grade hash is worth smoking as it's full of leaf crumbs amongst trich stems dust and hair, with the odd trichome head. remember the bubble was made from trim not buds.

so just like you wouldn't smoke the trim unless it was that or nothing, same applies to the 190 and 160 hash, making oil or cooking with it seems the best proposition.

in the end those bags end up making up maybe 5 % of the yield, so it's no big deal. i have never actually tried to smoke the 160 and 190. all the other sizes yes, lol.

@ Maximo

so you don't grind your buds up before you put them in the tube? do you do 2 runs like HmK was saying, first whole buds the ground buds?

man a kiln, that's gonna be cool. get some clay too, you can make great pieces with clay burned in a kiln and then glazed. not to mention the glass work. so you planning to blow your own too? most people start with a torch, lol. will you be making glass on glass storage jars? great hobby and skill to develop. have fun man. :wave:

Maximo

Nah I just pack whole buds, I've got some pics in my gallery of how I do my tube, and I only run one 12oz can thru a 30cm tube and then I save the tubes (got 7 or 8 right now), I haven't had a need to mess with the leftovers as I can make fresh anytime I want, kuts method of second running is for those who don't have allot of material to use in the first place, I'm swimming in fresh material so need for me.

Lol, the ppl who owned my house before me had a large pottery studio in the basement, I threw away a bunch of there old junk they left when I moved in, but just glass working for now, ill send you something I make after I get a little skill under my belt, Ill try to do you a gong jar for yaa ;) :)

Talk at you later, gotta do cuttings today.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
you are too kind Maximo, hurry up and learn how to do it then eh? :biglaugh:

you gonna enter anything for this years 420 cup? sounds like it's gonna be a cool event again this time. i hope to have plenty of bubble hash coins, as well as some victory and some WW. the pity is that the ww is from an 8 week batch, normally i give them 9 weeks to make the full ww taste and smell, still it will beat most coffee shop weed hands down, as they don't bother letting the plant use up it's N before harvest, let alone giving them a flush.

have fun making the cuts, i tried a simple bubble cloner instead of my normal way with the trays of rw plugs. out of about 35 clones only 7 have rooted. the rest are looking pretty bad. so back to the old fashioned cloning system for me. i think one needs an aero cloner for that system to work in a constant way, not just the plants right above the air stone, lol.

anyway i'm rambling, so i'll stop. :wave:

Last edited:
Maximo said:
I'm swimming in fresh material so need for me.

Jesus h christ. Dirty dime baggin it here. Goddamn. Im so jelous and i will be in your seat in 5 years, when i can grow. To make my own marijuana, it seems so close, yet so far away.

Edit: Was thinkin bout this post and i dont want it to sound like i was lookin for hand outs. Just :yoinks: :yoinks: :yoinks: at your situations with my favorite plant.

Last edited:

Maximo

gaius, no cup for me this year :( I might have come but the glass thing is costing me like $$$$ and I'm not prepped anyway lol, good luck with the cup, I know you can win, your willing to go that extra mile that the commercial guys won't, I've gotten lazy lately, working on getting my stuff back in shape, did make a batch of HO today, man the house reeks of that hashy oil smell right now, its like incense haha.

Dude, funny story about my experience with bubble cloning. The very first time I used my homemade bubble cloner I kept the stem tips above the water and thought the splashing water would be enough, the clones did horible at first, all droopy, no water in the cell wall... so I raised the water level to have the stem tips in the water about 10-15mm, allot of aeration and they perked right up, they all grew roots and this is how I do it always now for like 3 years and get roots at 7-10days always with 100% sucsess every time, I take mine cloning for granted these days because its so easy.

OWI if you work at it you can have much more than I have, I'm pretty happy, got an endless supply of hash material, got my hobbies, life is good I guess? but you have to start sometime bro :)

G

hi gm ,tasty hash and oil pics in this thread :yes: .

had another bash at the cloning methods we mentioned in bones thread . raised temps (80f) . this time also added BioNova Roots @1.5ml /litre along with base nutes at 0.7 ec for the RW overnight soak at pH5.5 . had roots showing in 10 days this time , instead of 21 . i ll do a few with/without the BN Roots next time , see if it makes a big dif .
later fellow hasheads :D

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Maximo

what a shame you're not coming, although i didn't think you were planning to. still would be fun if you made it over once, but it's logical that you got to set priorities.

i'm not gonna enter any weed this year, i only have enough victory and although she is a nice smoke, she is not as distinctive or memorable as the WW nor the SDv3, which i both have only rests of till after the event lol. but maybe i can make some full melt and enter that? it is fun to enter some thing, but 7.5 g is awful close to all of the first run of 73u in a good run. :joint:
peace :wave:

ps: what does well aerated mean? bubbles everywhere on the surface of the water ? or sufficient do levels? at the moment i have an S of bubbles going through the middle of the box. a few made handsome roots, but many more, just didn't do anything :D

Maximo

gaius, no cup for you either :( every time I look at a map it looks so close to you and so faraway for me, I really want to try the SDv3 sometime :) sounds nice. there's always next year huh :)

I added a few pics of my cloner and root shots to my gallery for you to look at if you want? I use long bubble wands in my cloner, 3 total, 1 down each side and 1 down the center of my tub, this gives almost all of the stem tips a flow of bubbles around them, I have see that the cuttings around the outside of the container can take longer to root sometimes, this one I haven't figured out yet? but they always root, I also feel there has to be allot of splashing, there is only about 4cm between the waterline and the lid of my container so allot of water splashes over the whole stem and the tip is in the water acting like a capillary tube, my temps are 25-30 celsius, I also add Clonex solution at 2ml per liter of water, I folar feed them everyday with Clonex and change the water every 4-5 days.

Edit: the root shots are not at 5 days, there about 10 days and not even from the pics of the AK and WW cuttings in the cloner, I'm pretty sure there WW though?.

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
sure i'm going to the 420, i even got a judges pass, i'm just not entering any strains, i might enter some bubble though, still thinking about it. it will depend hoe the new batch of ww bubble comes out.

thanks for the details on the clones. i know what i need to do now. my air pump needs back up.

G

hahahaha.....this thread was great, gaiusmarius. Loved the little bubman diety. lol

Maximo

Thats cool your at least going gaius, must be nice for you to be fairly close to A'dam I know I would like it :) and I hope you do enter something if you can, you'll probably win, I know I've not wanted to enter stuff in other types of comps before, but my friends encouraged me to and I won or placed high in the comp, I always felt my entries where sub-standard and would make me look bad, but I've been wrong more than once, I won 2,629 euro's ($3500.00) at one comp in software and prizes that I wasn't going to enter because I thought the competition would be to tough, but only 3 people entered and I took 2nd :D I know that more than a few enter the cup but you have a shot m8, just go for it.

HashishinReidi

Real nice pics everyone ,Hello Maxi , and Gaiusmarius.Its weird you aredoing glass blowing max . As iwas looking into that abit back here , Buts that as far as igot with it lol . but i have always liked nice glass andi dont mean justpipes or bongs.