What's new

PK's Build a Long 16K, come on in!

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran
Hello PK- Im enjoying watching you kindly document the steps to something I couldn't do.

Have you ever used or considered light movers? I feel if I did a big grow the increase in lumen efficiency sometimes above 25% would really help with production. Id love to hear your comment.

rock and roll
axl

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
Absolutely awesome work, but I wish I had seen this sooner as I have a couple of minor suggestions (for the next build, I guess):

I'd suggest using Roxul batt insulation. It is made from mineral wool as opposed to fiberglass and is superior in just about every way. Mineral wool is used in the "firestopping" trade because it will not burn and will keep fire from spreading, and perhaps more importantly for our application it contains a mildicide to prevent mold and mildew from growing. For 2x4 framed walls a minimum of R14 should be used, for 2x6 I suggest R22 (or R20 at a minimum). Not sure who sold you on that paperback roll-batt, but I would suggest kicking them in the dick. You've invested far too much time, energy, and money to cheap out on the insulation.

With vapor barrier on the outside of your walls, and another layer of poly on the inside you have essentially created a sweatbox type of environment. Any moisture inside those walls isn't going to be able to readily escape, and that could potentially become an issue for you especially since we're dealing with higher than average humidity and temperature differentials. Keep an eye out for condensation forming under the vapor barrier now and in the future as it may become the perfect environment for a mold infestation, which could be devastating.

I love the fact that you used OSB on both sides of the wall. That makes for an exceptionally rigid structure which should last indefinitely. This is especially nice to see as the walls were framed with a 24" cavity instead of 16" on center. I would have advised, however, to drywall all of the walls in the interest of fire protection. 1/2" if you want to be thrifty, but 5/8 if you want the full 1 hour burn rating. As it stands, if a fire breaks out that place is going to be fully engulfed in a matter of minutes.

... and since I'm on the topic of fire containment... Just after your electricians pulled the wire you really should have gone through and caulked the penetrations with firestop caulking (Nuco, PFP 4800DW, etc). Any time a wire goes from the wall cavity through the top or bottom plate, or from one room into another, the hole should be sealed with firecaulk. This way, if an outlet melts down or you happen to end up with a fire inside the wall it will be contained inside that cavity and won't be able to spread fire and smoke as easily. In fact, if properly sealed the fire will stave for oxygen and usually self extinguish.

On a ground-up build I cannot stress enough how important these things are, but since I'm extremely late to the party I guess my advice will have to wait until the next build.

Much respect and admiration on all of your hard work. You're a true professional, and I thank you for your contribution to the Cannabis community. :)

Nice post pretty solid information. However I would like to add that if your gonna put drywall up in a grow room, You should only use the green board made for moist environments like bath rooms.

Standard drywall is mold prone and black mold will grow on it so fast. Plus moisture also weakens it over time. So if you want to go with drywall for extra fire protection be sure you go with the green board made for moist environments.

Also if money isn't of concern they do make FLAMEDXX Fire Retardant OSB which provides that strong structure for mounting stuff with ease and its fire retardant to boot. Best of both worlds IMO.

Grizz

Veteran
PK, i will send you my resume, Im old but work cheap, gardner/care taker/sanitary engineer/trimmer/TESTER/

maxmurder

Veteran
I'd suggest using Roxul batt insulation. It is made from mineral wool as opposed to fiberglass and is superior in just about every way. Mineral wool is used in the "firestopping" trade because it will not burn and will keep fire from spreading, and perhaps more importantly for our application it contains a mildicide to prevent mold and mildew from growing. For 2x4 framed walls a minimum of R14 should be used, for 2x6 I suggest R22 (or R20 at a minimum). Not sure who sold you on that paperback roll-batt, but I would suggest kicking them in the dick. You've invested far too much time, energy, and money to cheap out on the insulation.
http://www.roxul.com/residential/residential+videos
here's a link to video .

this stuff is pretty cool.
i wonder if they package the rockwool there too haha.
damn - all those years PAYING to get rid of rockwool and coulda been stuffing in the walls haahahhh.
it's great for the band room too, any idea how much more it costs?

SensiBC

Nice post pretty solid information. However I would like to add that if your gonna put drywall up in a grow room, You should only use the green board made for moist environments like bath rooms.

Standard drywall is mold prone and black mold will grow on it so fast. Plus moisture also weakens it over time. So if you want to go with drywall for extra fire protection be sure you go with the green board made for moist environments.

Also if money isn't of concern they do make FLAMEDXX Fire Retardant OSB which provides that strong structure for mounting stuff with ease and its fire retardant to boot. Best of both worlds IMO.

Absolutely! I should have remembered to mention using drywall made specifically for wet environments. Surprised that I didn't actually, lol.

http://www.roxul.com/residential/residential+videos
here's a link to video .

this stuff is pretty cool.
i wonder if they package the rockwool there too haha.
damn - all those years PAYING to get rid of rockwool and coulda been stuffing in the walls haahahhh.
it's great for the band room too, any idea how much more it costs?

It's cool stuff indeed. Frankly, I've never had to directly purchase most building materials, so I'm not positive of the difference in cost. I glanced at home depot and did what I could to compare the difference in cost per sqft between Roxul and Owens Corning batt insulation and it seemed like the Roxul was a bit less expensive, but I suspect that's a bit of an anomaly. I do know that the cost of installation pretty much doubles when you move from fiberglass to Roxul as it can be a bit more challenging to work with. Ya gotta pay to play though, unless you DIY it of course. :)

Again, PK, you've got a beautiful build in progress and I'm sure you'll do very well. It's clear you've put enough thought into this while minimizing any potential risks.

cincy1017

Man i can't wait to see that that Room full of sour bubble trees...on my next run I plan to run your soil mix and really looking toward to it..iv always used AN and interested to see how the difference comes out

OLDproLg

Veteran
WOW!!!

Nice to see such a dedicated man in the most
pro way dude,shit i cant wait to see your start!
Those buds you grew are BOMB DUDE,DENSE hahaha
cant WAIT!!!!
thanx for sharing..

Mister_D

Veteran
Nothing to add that hasn't already been said already. PK you have truely raised the bar. I'll be watching.

stussy22

picture.php

Looks amazing my friend. Love the craftsmanship on everything.

Only thing that caught my eye was. I noticed that you are using that AC to cool both rooms. From here it looks like that you do no have any return air being pulled out of the other room. Only problem with this is it will cause the room to be in a positive pressure. Which means more air is being pushed into the room that is being taken out. So when you go to close the door air will be rushing out. Once the door is closed air will be pushing out of the place of least resistance. Something to think about, just want to make sure you have all the bases covered. :good:

stu :joint:

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks everyone, update to come soon I promise. I am finishing up the painting so i can move into the work area and start hanging ballast. Pond liner flooring shoud be here anytime and the rooms can be finished from there. Lots of little things to do here and there but making good ground.

Stussy22- The fan was installed after this picture and is in a different part of the room, the fan is a Maxfan 14" 1700cfm, it is blowing from the ceiling in the veg room into the flower. The flower room is basically the lung room, all air in the structure will be recirculated every 4 minutes. When the AC is not running, the fan will put positive pressure on the flower room and the air will exit via the ducting, so it will circulate constantly and keep stable temps throughout. Bases are covered :)

stussy22

Stussy22- The fan was installed after this picture and is in a different part of the room, the fan is a Maxfan 14" 1700cfm, it is blowing from the ceiling in the veg room into the flower. The flower room is basically the lung room, all air in the structure will be recirculated every 4 minutes. When the AC is not running, the fan will put positive pressure on the flower room and the air will exit via the ducting, so it will circulate constantly and keep stable temps throughout. Bases are covered :)

Knew you had it covered I didn't spot that 14". Just keeping an eye out where I can. Can't wait to see this room filled.

stu :joint:

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well IC I have been busting my back, ass, and everything else to get this baby rolling. I really can't believe it took this long, but it did and everything came out perfect. I am sore, and broke lol.Tonight I moved in my plants for the first time after spending the last week dialing everything in and finishing up a list that was just never ending.

So far so good, still some minor details here and there to finish up. Also at the end of March I have my RDWC room finishing up and i will be getting all my equipment from there. For now I have a 6K flower and a 4k veg going.

In Flower right now as of tonight I have all my moms and a few spare plants a friend had that were sizeable. Most of these are off the chart bushes, all in 10 gallon pots freshly potted as of 2.5 weeks ago. I trimmed all their root balls down and put them in a fresh 10 gallon mix. 15 in total going into flower, it will be interesting to see all my moms battle it out side by side. I have never flowered my mamas because I like a nice mono cropped even canopy so there is never space avaialble to do so. I am doing this to get a quick one through because I am low on meds.

Getting transplanted this weekend I have 30 VERY well rooted sour bubbles ready to go from the ezcloner with 4ft roots into 5 gallon pots to begin veg. They will get 10 weeks veg and should finish in 15 gallon pots.

In Flower:

pre98 Sensi Star
ECSD
Arcata Trainwreck
Bogglegum grape pheno x 2
Katsu Bubba Kush x 3
EastCoastSourBubble pheno 5 my cross
Sour Strawberry Kush
Chem D

Well that is what is going on with the grow, just getting started. I literally just finished tonight so thanks for all your patience. I will have pictures up by this weekend!

G

greenmatter

:whee: ... :respect: good to hear that you finished PK! get some sleep brother, you damn sure earned it.

RespectGreen

Veteran
Nice man I finished my new set up tonight also what's funny is I showed my friend your pictures as an example of perfection I need to achieve! Goodluck!

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
Nice man I finished my new set up tonight also what's funny is I showed my friend your pictures as an example of perfection I need to achieve! Goodluck!

With hard work and dedication anything is achievable. I think your well on your way to getting there.

Pk I can't say anything but :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat: I could keep going but you get the picture.

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
Keep it green homey, the fruits of your labor are going to be the sweetest kind!

aod

Latest posts

Latest posts