What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Phylos Bioscience sparks outrage after announcing their beginning their own breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Beard

That’s almost intentionally unhelpful, like, what’s THE most useless results we can get away with ‘reporting’?
We’ll know cannabis is free - is ours - when small growers can organize to fight for our interests

igrowone

Veteran
I mean.. A company that size with investment capital like that.. They can't afford to spend a few bucks a gram?
Are those few airlooms really that unique? Of its not being grown for consumption, it's probably available in seed for us amature breeders.
i was reaching
i doubt that phylos got much in the way of rare genetics
likely it was some brainstorming idea that sounded good at the time
from the publicity i'm seeing, doesn't seem to be working out so good

troutman

Seed Whore
How do we know this Galaxy space program wasn't just smoke and mirrors?

Could have been designed to make people believe they were part of some big picture.

Meanwhile, it was a fishing trip for rare genetics.

1770_Guyot_-_Nouvelles_r%C3%A9cr%C3%A9ations_physiques_et_math%C3%A9matiques.jpg

W

Water-

Phylos Lied and disrespected the Whole Underground Canna Movement in one go! Really Slimey and Seedy they turned out to be. I really could slap Mowgli(If I was a violent man)after watching his Deluded,Rude "Sales Pitch". The Galaxy was backward and confusing at best IMHO. Mostly loads of the same PolyFuck cuts with different names cluttering up the place-I was hoping to see how Landraces ,IBL's,Hemps and old Hybrids related to each other as were many others I am sure, but It never worked very well for that and was too hard to use....what the hell is "Berry" anyway,someone please explain?
But...they Don't have anything that enables re-creation of your plants,unless you sent live seed or leaves/stems to them. They Really don't. I'm sure they will find a way to earn out of the Data though! They apparently seem to be working with a few breeders in the US.....whats the story there? Anyone?
So,Well done if you warned everyone not to trust them...and you were Right in the end...I was wrong....But I'm all out of Medal's Sorry :biggrin:
PS. Y'all don't have to trust Sam-or anyone else for that matter....But Sam is a Mod at IC-whether you like it or not and has been a member forever. This Threads about how un-trustworthy Phylos are-suddenly becoming breeders though Isn't it? Not the "Blame Sam for Everything(again)" thread...
There are plenty of opinions I disagree and agree with that IC members(and the canna community in general) have. But I don't feel the need to attack anyone that I Don't Actually Know,repeatedly - I just agree to disagree generally,after a while of dispute,or you just ruin it for everyone in the end.
Luck'n'Lite All ;)
Except for Phylos who Really do Suck Massively! :tree::moon:

i agree

shaggyballs

Veteran
How do we know this Galaxy space program wasn't just smoke and mirrors?

Could have been designed to make people believe they were part of some big picture.

This just makes good sense and seems like the logical answer.
No body I know has any use for the galaxy.
Most describe it as a unicorn threw up his skittles.
I would have to agree.

G

GatorGumbo

As I understand they did not use a DNA sequence to regenerate the 32,000 year old plants. Every article I have read, even the wikipedia page that GatorGumbo cites, says they used "placental tissue" from seeds still in the fruit. They couldn't get the mature seeds to sprout because the squirrel that had collected to seeds rendered them unable to grow in it's burrow. Still a great thing to sprout 32,000 year old seeds but definitely not reconstituted from raw DNA..

Notice that I said "DNA and tissue" simply contrary to Sam stating that it was not possible using DNA, when in fact DNA is actually required.

White Beard

I absolutely 100% refuse to believe that Sam even has a penis until he posts verified recent photos of it

You are...wishful?
(You brought it up)

What I’m left with is the surmise that they skew their view of things - the example given of an old line the Galaxy connected to “skunk, berry, landrace...”. This means that “skunk and berry and landrace” *contain* some of those old genes...it’s a goddam important distinction and it needs to be made.

Skunk and berry aren’t sources, they’re offspring.

vermontman

As you said:
"Can Phylos currently do this? I heartily doubt it. I doubt that it's actually easy at all for anyone to do at this time. That said, it's certainly on the horizon for cannabis sooner or later. There's no harm in pushing the science or being industrious, but breaking good faith agreements with your contributors to do so is not fair. People contributed their hard work and heirlooms with a stipulation, and they were betrayed because Phylos wants more. I can excuse some people for being weary as fuck of them now, people who don't care what Phylos will give to them because they don't want more, they just want to do their own thing and be content with knowledge."

It has not been done with Cannabis is clearly what I meant, maybe just maybe DNA companies need to be able to re-assemble a full Cannabis genome before they can attempt to map all the genes completely neither of which has been done 8 years after the first DNA sequencing of Cannabis. I agree that Phylos should of been completly open about future plans if they had them when they started, but it is too late for that now they have made guarantees and broken them no one trusts them, that is their problem they created on purpose or by default by not being more open to all their clients paid or free.

-SamS

The issue is not that they can or cannot recreate plants from DNA.
One thing that could be done with cannabis genetic information and not under current Federal law but as this multi Billion dollar industry becomes legal on a federal level than they can simply use the DNA information as property in patenting strains for asexual multiplication most notably and probably seeds and how broad of net that can be cast. and yes there is the public domain time clause on patents, but there are not many that can financially put up a legal fight against that machine. Certainly to much possible room for abuse. But I do hear hope in the networking of growers and breeders. And as has been said, and I agree it needs to be on at least a national level. There is great networking going on on the West Coast, I hope that spurs a more centralized base for farmers as a national and even international collective. These forums are a great place to organize.

Maggotbrain

That’s almost intentionally unhelpful, like, what’s THE most useless results we can get away with ‘reporting’?
We’ll know cannabis is free - is ours - when small growers can organize to fight for our interests

Yeah, that's what I thought too. If it was intentionally unhelpful that would be pretty sleazy. I corresponded with them quite a bit after buying the test and even attended a NCIA meeting at their expense. Ellen, who offered me the ticket, was very nice as was everyone I met that night. They didn't seem sleazy and I wouldn't just assume that they were out to cheat me, but the result did seem odd and like you said "intentionally unhelpful".

herbgreen

Veteran
Problem is people like Sam and Rob C and Kev Jodrey stood with or still stand behind Mowgli Holmes and Phylos

When respected, experienced, cannabis educators, authors and cultivators hype up Phylos.... guess who gets A monster credibility boost?

And the Spin on phylos was dizzying,,,,Rob saying it protects strains from ever being patented Sam collecting stuff from the likes of Ace and CBG

Did anyone check these guys work? grow out the sex'd plant the sample came from... see if it matched the test?

Independent review Peer review of DNA connections made in 'The Galaxy' Is it valid ???

Peer review is the standard in science

You dont just keep pulling things out your ass over and over and keep charging more and more $$$

Independent peer review ....anyone? sound familiar

Mowgli aka Phylos stacked the shit pretty high and the only people really calling him out usually brought along Joe Pietri inspired tales woven into an all out attack on Sam_Skunkman

Then we had to spend a lot time chasing down apologies from publishers and just asking how does that paranoid, philip k. dick, time traveling fantasy really play out anyway...?

Phylos is a genetic technology company and can take the DNA and develop cannabis specific tools that they can patent and sell

You paid money to give them raw data and funding to do just that.....And they have multiple shell corporations with employees that come from companies similar to Monsanto

The next thing Mowgli is telling us is he will never make GMO cannabis And he will give the 'new amazing cannabis' that he develops back to the community

playing this shell game with a bunch of dumb stoners is easy money

Is it here...? Here? oh, you think its under here ? want bet? Nope.

Thank- you for playing our game we have some fabulous parting gifts for you........:tiphat:

Again Science 101 Peer Reviewed Independent review with same result more than twice..lol

Validity......It does what it says it does Repeatable results!

If you want to know if your clone is the real deal through DNA test you better have the real thing to compare it against

And you better have the real deal dude standing there like skunk_va for chem91

Thats how you know somebody who knows where it came from and what it is And they gave it to you

Now you have it from the source and you can validate that you have a genetic match to the real thing

More Fun with Mowgli.....That galaxy....Its a cluster alright!

Emerald Cup 2017 Mowgli Holmes What Are You Smoking EDIT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyjwY-THCCE

People have been looking for short cuts for years Put a sativa high into an Indica structure....how that going?

Now, you want to cheat and skip running the plants at all and use your magic genetic tests to predict the future and breed for yield pest resistance and compatibility with round-up :)

Its really not that much fun or good

If I have learned one important thing from Sam_Skunkman its the word 'Progeny'

Test the Progeny

Last edited:

Thcvhunter

Veteran
@Herbgreen,

I do know people who sent in sex testing kits back to Phylos and the results were off quite a bit.
So its a boof product for the grower/breeder and really is just an intelligence gathering entity.

Theres a lot, too many, intelligence gathering entities in the canna community.
But I dont think they know that their files are marked as such - they assume that they are kept safe.
No such thing as safety.

I predict that after the first few farms and breeders are sued, that these informants will need a PSD team to keep them safe from some old school justice.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
This matters and I will explain why. There are two potential scenarios here. One in which the parties knew and one in which they did not.

Even upon total benefit of doubt as to knowing apathy to the causation does not prepare the community against further exploitation of the gullible by potential big money interests.

In fact it does the opposite. I don't get why ANYONE who would support that dynamic regardless of how "innocent" this scenario was.

This is an important learning experience, take it for what it is worth unless you like being taught through an experience like this.

I

izzypog

When I came into the weed scene in the late 80's, I was a sort of budtender. The organization back then was a mess. After all these years you would think people would of worked together to form a group to help other growers and to get it legalized. Unfortunately, when a corps. gets hold of anything it turns to shit. Why isn't there an underground growers guild? You have groups now that really do not make a difference. What makes cannabis the best, is the fact that it is a plant, it needs no real refinement and can be available in a short time.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
@Herbgreen,

I do know people who sent in sex testing kits back to Phylos and the results were off quite a bit.
So its a boof product for the grower/breeder and really is just an intelligence gathering entity.

Theres a lot, too many, intelligence gathering entities in the canna community.
But I dont think they know that their files are marked as such - they assume that they are kept safe.
No such thing as safety.

I predict that after the first few farms and breeders are sued, that these informants will need a PSD team to keep them safe from some old school justice.

except it is legal and they won't have any lack of support from all agencies that work the involved jurisdictions

people got what they wanted, aka rules

now we have to learn to play by them

fwiw this is that happens when spunions and burnouts get their wish to go corporate

I left that scene decades ago and on some level I fell like fuck you all for wishing it back but that isn't a very productive mindset so I let go of it real quick

mmm let me get some legal cause the man been so good to me thus far

:: flips the money table, leaves the temple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts