What's new

Phylos Bioscience sparks outrage after announcing their beginning their own breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregonism

This all seems to prove naysayers right about getting caught with the hand in cookie jar, but still some seem to think "Nuh uh", oh so passively aggresive.

Groups that had something to do with phylos, I know at least one instance also had a big part in a states legalization laws. A state that has kowtowed to corporate growers.This is beyond PVP Y'ALL!!!!!

CaptainDankness

.Others chose a different path and intentionally aligned themselves with Phylos, providing the company with their cherished varieties with the hope of assisting it with commercial cultivar selections and eventual breeding projects.

Anyone have any idea who these others are? Would be nice to know if they actually have any good cannabis breeders working with them.

I guess it's a good thing Rob left, but they clearly have others. Lol

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I noticed on a seed site, that they stopped using the Phylos lab results and are now showing steep hill results.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Thanks Chimera, I was about to post this but you beat me as I just read my mail from Rob, I am in the EU.
As you can see Rob and I were misled but neither of us ever sent PHYLOS any live seeds or living plants we only supplied extracted DNA. And we did that so the plant varieties them selves were safe from being stolen.
The DNA analysis info was all they could misuse, and we were not really concerened about that, we had just hoped that PHYLOS would honor their agreement to analyze all the landrace samples (we did not solicit modern Multi-Poly-Hybrids) we collected for PHYLOS in an effort to understand Cannabis evolution and the spread of Cannabis from where it first began to today, the present world wide distribution and all the resulting relationships.
They did not do what they promised to me, Rob and the people we solicited to donate DNA in an effort to discover Cannabis ancient past history. At least we avoided PHYLOS obtaining any live seeds or plants that they could use for their private breeding efforts, with hindsight, that was very important, and we are glad we stuck to that rule. I have no idea what will be in the PHYLOS future, they will certainly discover that to breed great Cannabis you need decades of Cannabis growing and breeding experience, something PHYLOS is seriously lacking. Time will tell.
I only hope that others will try and unlock the history of Cannabis, where it originated, and how it spread worldwide, DNA analysis is the best way to unlock the secrets, if enough landraces that are untouched by modern hybrids can be collected and analyzed before it is to late as has happened in Mexico, Jamaica and Morocco as well as many other traditional Cannabis producing areas where landraces are no longer what they were, today they are all mixed with modern Multi-Poly-Hybrids. Time will tell.
I will not post in this thread again. I do get tired of all the complainers that never gave anything to me for DNA testing by PHYLOS, yet they are the loudest and most persistant whiners about the crap that PHYLOS pulled on everyone.
-SamS

https://www.cannabisbusinesstimes.c...e-resign-phylos-bioscience-cannabis-breeding/

https://www.cannabisbusinesstimes.c...e-resign-phylos-bioscience-cannabis-breeding/

Robert C. Clarke: Why I’ve Resigned From the Phylos Bioscience Scientific Advisory Board

In the wake of Phylos Bioscience's breeding program announcement, a close look at the headlines' impact.

June 26, 2019
Robert C. Clarke

Editor's note: Robert C. Clarke, cannabis researcher and Cannabis Business Times columnist, shares his thoughts on why he resigned from the Phylos Bioscience Scientific Advisory Board in the wake of the company's announcement to start a breeding program. As the news prompts conversations about cannabis genetics research and intellectual property protection across the industry, Clarke wished to make his thoughts public.

This short message marks my resignation from the Phylos Bioscience Scientific Advisory Board. In recent weeks it has become increasingly apparent that we no longer share the same research goals, and I am very sorry it worked out this way for all concerned.

I support Cannabis science on many fronts, and I will continue to push Cannabis science into the forefront. Exploring and understanding the genome are key steps in realizing the great potentials of Cannabis and many other crop plants. Those who believe in progressive science accept that the study of inheritance is important to the future of developing successful cultivars, and that genomics offers extremely valuable tools. Research concerning the Cannabis plant has largely been ignored by governments and in turn academic institutions, and the responsibility for cannabis-related R&D now lies firmly within the private business sector. Businesses aim to make profits, and this core motive will drive cannabis science for the foreseeable future.

Members of our cannabis community chose various paths in relation to Phylos Bioscience. My decision to engage was based on scientific interest. Many of us assumed that Phylos would follow its somewhat predictable economic path towards becoming a variety breeding company and nursery. Therefore, I did not supply the company with live seeds, as live seeds were not needed for its phylogenetic research anyway. Others chose a different path and intentionally aligned themselves with Phylos, providing the company with their cherished varieties with the hope of assisting it with commercial cultivar selections and eventual breeding projects. Others formed differing relationships all with the best of intentions, just trying to do the right thing.

Then, Phylos changed its public face and insulted the community whose trust it had garnered by suddenly providing duplicitous explanations of its varied intents. Its actions raised simple questions: “Is Phylos working for me, the boutique grower, by protecting my hard-won heritage with their Galaxy? Or, do they have a hidden agenda?” Most insulting was Phylos discounting the crowd-sourced science and personal initiative that produced our amazingly diverse Cannabis cultivars. Without the international culture of clandestine cannabis growers and breeders, Phylos and other Cannabis genomics companies would have little space to occupy today.

My personal disappointment, which is shared by many whom I persuaded to submit samples, is that Phylos was unable to carry out the science it initially planned. Corporate interests ruled and their basic research was delayed. Driven by scientific curiosity, we all looked forward to the possibility that DNA sequencing might add to our phylogenetic knowledge and shed light on the history and relatively recent domestication of present-day cultivars. Many took an interest and we solicited samples primarily of landraces from foreign sources and their very early hybrids – the exotic building blocks of modern sinsemilla cultivars – especially samples that pre-dated or were isolated from the rampant spread of “Dutch” seeds. About half the samples submitted with this intent were sequenced and added to the Phylos Galaxy the optical results to be shared by all. Should the task be completed one fine day, we may then realize the insights we all yearn for.

There exists a persistent yet nebulus feeling amongst members of our community that raw Cannabis genome data is of great value, and possibly someday it will be of great value, but to say that data Phylos collected from donated samples is of great value would be speculative at best. There is great anticipation surrounding the advances in variety improvement that will be made using the potentially powerful tool of marker-assisted breeding to isolate the genes for rare traits. Marker-assisted breeding relies on phenotype data characterizing the plants the genomic data is collected from. It is difficult to find genetic markers for a trait in the absence of a plant that expresses that trait. Without phenotype data the genomic data is debased and of less value to variety development research. This is why genomics companies will all end up either growing their own plants and collecting their own genomic data (or contracting someone else to do it for them) to support their variety improvement programs.

As a technological species we rely heavily on science, yet many in today’s world doubt its veracity and honesty. Phylos bridged the divide between the cannabis community and rigorous science and made that science accessible and compelling to many. And then it torched that bridge. Not only were people disappointed by Phylos—Phylos discolored its feelings about science as well. However, those who distrust the alliance of science and industry have much more powerful and potentially evil companies to fear, and we should all come to grips with the emotionally sensitive issues surrounding how we feel about the inevitable influences of agribusiness impinging on our futures.

In closing, I must add that I find the behavior of some members of our cannabis community quite disappointing. Scanty information concerning sensitive topics can prove a dangerous thing, and it is far too cheap and easy to point accusing fingers through the hazy smog of the Internet. Once again, well-meaning people are being dragged onto the smoldering pyre of conspiracy theories by rabid cannabis reactionaries unfairly accusing them of collaborating with an imaginary enemy. Most of those chased by the lynch mob of unfounded public opinion survived decades of prohibition, devoted much of their lives to pushing our knowledge of the Cannabis plant to new limits, and remain dedicated allies of our favorite plant to this day. Taking them to task over problems created by Phylos is additionally disrespectful of our community. Do you support such allegations, or do you prefer that logic reassert itself?

All I hope for is that lessons will be learned by all involved, and that Cannabis-based science will proceed hand-in-hand with both successful business models and heightened social awareness. Science marches on, so let’s make the best of it.

Last edited:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yes - a very well written letter from Rob Clarke - which pretty much sums up the Phylos situation - obviously many feel like some kind of deception took place.

F

Frylock

IDK much at all about this situation but i wondered whether the PHYLOS people had it planned out like this or if they were trying to do something good but then turned greedy once they realized what they collected was valuable in a different way?

Probably lean towards the first option.... because how could they not know?

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I personally am not impressed by the letter as if you read between the lines there is more animosity towards teh community than phylos

par for the course and a true tell of how he really feels about the community

glad I knew better than to contribute to anything rob or sam where involved in

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Many of us assumed that Phylos would follow its somewhat predictable economic path towards becoming a variety breeding company and nursery. Therefore, I did not supply the company with live seeds, as live seeds were not needed for its phylogenetic research anyway.

.....so... The major players knew all along.. I've heard that before somewhere

Thcvhunter

Veteran
I don’t believe RC Clarke’s scripted Mea Culpa.

Ive seen Phylos and those who control or work with Phylos pumping out some amazing PR to cover their tracks.
I mean, hey, Sam and Chimera were rarely posting and were absent for a while until they came out to present their scripted PR.

And lets not forget, all three people I’ve mentioned have cooperated with the DEA and other agencies, and other governments.
RC Clarke in fact instructs the ABC’s of our governments how to spot, track, and link networks of black market growers for decades now.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran

Ive seen Phylos and those who control or work with Phylos pumping out some amazing PR to cover their tracks.
I mean, hey, Sam and Chimera were rarely posting and were absent for a while until they came out to present their scripted PR.

And lets not forget, all three people I’ve mentioned have cooperated with the DEA and other agencies, and other governments.
RC Clarke in fact instructs the ABC’s of our governments how to spot, track, and link networks of black market growers for decades now.

Sauce ?

CaptainDankness

Yeah, I did read an article claiming that Phylyos could be creating a DNA database that the DEA could use and track down organized grow circles.

Nothing of proof though, but I'm sure if the DEA demanded they share DNA they're going to have too since they can still be arrested for breaking federal law.

I've read a little bit about Sam working for the DEA Operation Green Merchant and shit. No proof, but of course with a confidential informant there is never proof they never testify in court or anything. Apparently they are actually paying junkies like $1,000 to rat and of course you can get immunity. I could imagine Rezdog will be asking us for proof if someone questions him about being a rat and there probably isn't any proof, I certainly have not seen proof, though I somehow believe he's probably a rat.

I don't think I read anything about Rob Clarke or Chimera being rats though. I have noticed they have been all working with various cannabis companies lately, that really ain't in the best interest of the community. Hardly the only ones though Greenhouse, DNA and House of the Great Gardener have been bought by Canopy Growth Corporation and 10% is owned by Budweiser. Lol

Legalization is going to be fun! Unless they are selling dank buds for $1 a gram I will always be able to undercut the big guys. :biggrin: I also don't care if the strain has a patent I'll still steal it, not like patent infringement is a huge crime, pretty sure growing weed has a worse sentence. :biggrin:

Dog Star

Veteran
Yeah, I did read an article claiming that Phylyos could be creating a DNA database that the DEA could use and track down organized grow circles.

Nothing of proof though, but I'm sure if the DEA demanded they share DNA they're going to have too since they can still be arrested for breaking federal law.

I've read a little bit about Sam working for the DEA Operation Green Merchant and shit. No proof, but of course with a confidential informant there is never proof they never testify in court or anything. Apparently they are actually paying junkies like $1,000 to rat and of course you can get immunity. I could imagine Rezdog will be asking us for proof if someone questions him about being a rat and there probably isn't any proof, I certainly have not seen proof, though I somehow believe he's probably a rat.

I don't think I read anything about Rob Clarke or Chimera being rats though. I have noticed they have been all working with various cannabis companies lately, that really ain't in the best interest of the community. Hardly the only ones though Greenhouse, DNA and House of the Great Gardener have been bought by Canopy Growth Corporation and 10% is owned by Budweiser. Lol

Legalization is going to be fun! Unless they are selling dank buds for $1 a gram I will always be able to undercut the big guys. :biggrin: I also don't care if the strain has a patent I'll still steal it, not like patent infringement is a huge crime, pretty sure growing weed has a worse sentence. :biggrin:

Great post bro.. you look like some logical thinker and am thankfull to God people like you exist..

Kind regards CaptainDankness :tiphat:

Elmer Bud

Veteran
G `day DS

Its a logical thinker to listen to rumours and speculations ?

Then post saying well done ? OK ...

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Dog Star

Veteran
G `day DS

Its a logical thinker to listen to rumours and speculations ?

Then post saying well done ? OK ...

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Maybe for you rumors and for some other that is a fact..

just remember all those conspiracy theories was start as rumor
and then in end was showed as pure truths...

Again you missed something Elmer.. or you trust too much to people you dont know..

Elmer Bud

Veteran
Maybe for you rumors and for some other that is a fact..

just remember all those conspiracy theories was start as rumor
and then in end was showed as pure truths...

Again you missed something Elmer.. or you trust too much to people you dont know..

G `day DS

There is a big difference between speculations and verifiable facts .

Like I told the other guy show me the source of your facts ?
Other wise they are paranoid speculation .

Making statements is OK . But to be relevant you need to back it up with some facts .
Or you could make a whole lot of outrageous claims and wait for some of them to come true ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Status
Not open for further replies.