What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Phylos Bioscience sparks outrage after announcing their beginning their own breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limeygreen

Veteran
It sounds like they are simply pumping up their stock value, or at least trying to pump it up to try and dupe a company to purchase them which I would wager most large ag companies can see through their lack of experience and knowledge base.

Side question for you Sam, are there any markers available that people working in genomics would be able to purchase when they are doing their breeding work such as mildew resistance or any other characteristics that would be valuable when developing varieties?

Not agreeing with you, I was pointing out that you do not need to be a scientist to make lies or unreliable and or untrustworthy accusations.

If you feel I have done this what exactly was the lie, or unreliable and or untrustworthy accusations. You are talking like I knew that PHYLOS was planning to become breeders from day one, and that is just not true, it is a lie, or an unreliable and or untrustworthy accusation, why would I help them do that, what would be the benefit for me? I am not sure they are even able to become a decent Cannabis breeder, and certainly not in 3 years, they have maybe a decade of work before they can.

Maybe just maybe it will take them longer than 3 years to even learn how to grow Cannabis well and to be able to recognize what great Cannabis is, then they need to compile a complete Cannabis genome not just sequence 20,000 SNP's, it has been 8 years since the Cannabis genome was first sequenced, but that is still in thousands of little snippets, not a complete reassembled genome that will allow researchers to find the marker genes for each important trait and where their locations are on the chromosomes in the Cannabis genome, it will take many more than 3 years just to do each of these three goals individually so I predict a minimum of a decade. They also need to learn Cannabis breeding, and that alone is more than 3 years. They aslo need growing space, lots of it as they are planning on also working with hemp varieties.

They hope their DNA analysis work will give them a head start but they do not have the full geneome for these, and they do not have growing evealuations for them, or the Cannabinoid or Terpene analysis that would make the DNA data more valuable to use for marker-assisted breeding, they really just have a plan and ideas how they hope to do it. 3 years give me a break....

Do you really think a novice with no experience can become a world class Cannabis breeder in 3 years? And have new superior varieties available in that time? LOL

#1 Find greenhouses and land for growing and breeding work. They have ti be sure the areas are free of any Cannabis pollen from other sources.
#2 Learn how to Grow and breed Cannabis, not a small task.
#3 Reassemble a complete Cannabis genome, not just sequence it.
#4 Find and fully sequence and reassemble the full genome of varieties that they also have growth evaluations, like yield etc. they also need the Cannabinoid and terpene %'s of each.
#5 Locate all the marker genes for all important traits and exactly where on which chromosomes.
#6 Fully sequence varieties that they suspect have important traits they can ID with marker genes to use for breeding.
#7 Do the breeding work with marker assisted breeding.
#8 Trial the improved varieties under many different conditions so they know what they have.
#9 Produce large amounts of Improved varieties of seeds for customers.

Maybe I forgot something but this is a lot of big time-consuming hurdles already, not just 3 years.... They also need to apply for and receive licenses or permits to allow large scale Cannabis cultivation for any breeding work. They also need to find competent employees to do the above tasks.
-SamS

Dog Star

Veteran
Joseph Pietri story and book The 15 Oz Pound have very nice info about Sam..

Jo Pietri will grow in future in a eyes of a common human beings that love cannabis
as plant that was given to all,while for Sam am not so sure..

It definitly looks like Jo was decipher Sam..

Dog Star

Veteran
1994 David Watson/ Selezny was issued a cannabis research license for Hortapharm R & D along with his partner Robert C. Clarke aka R. Connisseur, above legitimate Universities and PHD’s due to the strong endorsement of DEA, instead of extraditing him back to Santa Cruz for that grow bust in 1985? To this day he is one of two companies allowed to import cannabis products into US, and the only supplier licensed by DEA to supply seeds of predictable quality for research. In a 1998 interview in UK Journal, he stated that Hortapharm only wants to produce sterile females, to protect the genetic copyright? He has sent botanist’s around the globe to contaminate and collect inbred landrace strains, in order to confuse origin in order to claim intellectual copyright. Now he claims to have the largest library of medicinal cannabis seeds in the world. In other words he patented the munchie effect amongst others. Wherever you go on the planet you will find skunk gene pool, this is a war crime, to contaminate the original medical strains so as to be able to call them your intellectual property is obscene. Just as the making of Mother Nature’s healing plants illegal is a war crime, so is the research Hortapharm is doing. Instead of extraditing Watson back to Santa Cruz for his 1985 grow bust, he was praised and supported by DEA.

https://www.rollitup.org/t/please-read-and-input.661310/

Some folks was wistlebloowing Sam but no body wished to listen... thruth is coming
out in a day light and all those that was Jo Pietri sayed before for Sam now have
lot more credibility than ever..

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Sam,,, yeh,, i noticed them offering breeding services for the last year or so,, but yeh,, who knows what there goals are,, i assume now it's going to be full industry standards potentially even radiation breeding all in the name of future iP rights,,,

I personally knew this was going to happen,, so I'm not shocked,, i wish I had been able to get my company on that level,,, this is simply the law of the land,, capitalism is our way,, it was bound to happen

So,,, thinking about my personal exposure,,, Are they nazdaq listed? ,, didn't know that,,, hmmm,, this is very interesting,, i wonder how this has effected the run,, this is some major fud,,,

Gw was a score for making a few quid,, when it flipped to nazdaq it was a big winner,, canopy growth was amazing before the dip that happened after rec day,,, luckily my cfd timed out and I just didn't buy more

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Kev Jodrey response to Phylos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkco9SfD3eE

Thanks for those links herbgreen, i found Kev Jodreys response to be quite realistic, he points out that there is an inevitability to much of this now that cannabis is on the cusp of legalisation and that big business is involved, but he also points out that the phylos database may also help protect breeders' property as they can use it to prove that they've been using certain varieties for as long as they have.
I really don't know enough about the details to be definitive, all i was trying to do by commenting here is make a few general points about the difference between suspicions and actions. Certainly companies like monsanto need to be regarded with extreme caution.
To address the claims that 'all varieties in 3 years will come from them and everything currently available is rubbish'... sounds like a company bigging themselves up to investors to me. Anyone can make claims but in practice they will have to actually deliver on those claims to make a real difference, and losing the trust of the growers/breeders is clearly not a good move.
VG

shaggyballs

Veteran
But they have been offering breeding services for ages,,,how is this a shock to anyone,, i literally assumed this was already going on

i assumed that what they were already doing was a genomic preservation service,, creating homozygous lines for anyone with enough money,,, even offering iP,, possibly anther culture for DH,,,

This guy knew before Sam did?
He musta read the Phylos disclaimer.

Sam must not have.

Dognponyshow

This post was inaccurate, sorry for the mislabeling Kev,

Kevin Jodrey was a DEA agent! Drug interdiction agent in the Caribbean region among other places (he admits this). As are A great deal of CA dispensary owners btw.

In fact he was a US Coast Guard who admits that he was turned onto the huge profits of cannabis by Canadian smugglers while doing a joint interdiction operation with the DEA.

Tomāto-tomáto

W

Water-

@Water-

take a look in the mirror

Or better yet take a look at your avatar in the mirror!

Anyway,

You like to point fingers when you are better off looking within

You a friend of Mowgli ?

I am a surfer, not sure what my avatar means to you.
you seem confused

I never pointed a fingure at anyone, I only asked a valid question about whether or not you had lost anything personally here.

which you have not. Thats ok, it just puts your complaints in perspective.

now I know where you are coming from.

my friend mowgli??

you are paranoid, whiny and not that bright.
I have already had to correct you once before when you where on a misguided tangent about peer review.
you bore me with your misguided anger.

ignore list

shaggyballs

Veteran
Here we go again with the personal attacks!
If you can not discredit the message and you can not!
Try to discredit the messenger.
Not working bro!
Send him a PM if ya wanna chat about personal stuff, please.

shaggyballs

Veteran
Phylos lied, all parties knew what was up before the meltdown there is no doubt.
Gmo Cannabinoids are not going to be a good thing.

The iconic folks here at ICMAG mislead the general public.
They told us everything was cool with phylos and we should trust them dispite what the tinfoli hats have to say.
Well the tinfoil group was right, how about that?
Regular folks are outraged and want an apoligy which is not forthcoming.

W

Water-

how do you know GMO cannabanoids are not a good thing?

maybe it willl save you or a family member from cancer some day.

you do not deserve an apology or anything else if you have not lost anything to phylos.

Sam has made it clear that he is dissapointed with how things went.

The story is over.

no one trusts phylos anymore and thats it

Dog Star

Veteran
Neither to you... am think on trust..

and belive me this story just started...

time will give you all answers...

am not suprised you play devil advocate..

H

HazeOil

Not agreeing with you, I was pointing out that you do not need to be a scientist to make lies or unreliable and or untrustworthy accusations.

If you feel I have done this what exactly was the lie, or unreliable and or untrustworthy accusations. You are talking like I knew that PHYLOS was planning to become breeders from day one, and that is just not true, it is a lie, or an unreliable and or untrustworthy accusation, why would I help them do that, what would be the benefit for me? I am not sure they are even able to become a decent Cannabis breeder, and certainly not in 3 years, they have maybe a decade of work before they can.

Maybe just maybe it will take them longer than 3 years to even learn how to grow Cannabis well and to be able to recognize what great Cannabis is, then they need to compile a complete Cannabis genome not just sequence 20,000 SNP's, it has been 8 years since the Cannabis genome was first sequenced, but that is still in thousands of little snippets, not a complete reassembled genome that will allow researchers to find the marker genes for each important trait and where their locations are on the chromosomes in the Cannabis genome, it will take many more than 3 years just to do each of these three goals individually so I predict a minimum of a decade. They also need to learn Cannabis breeding, and that alone is more than 3 years. They aslo need growing space, lots of it as they are planning on also working with hemp varieties.

They hope their DNA analysis work will give them a head start but they do not have the full geneome for these, and they do not have growing evealuations for them, or the Cannabinoid or Terpene analysis that would make the DNA data more valuable to use for marker-assisted breeding, they really just have a plan and ideas how they hope to do it. 3 years give me a break....

Do you really think a novice with no experience can become a world class Cannabis breeder in 3 years? And have new superior varieties available in that time? LOL

#1 Find greenhouses and land for growing and breeding work. They have ti be sure the areas are free of any Cannabis pollen from other sources.
#2 Learn how to Grow and breed Cannabis, not a small task.
#3 Reassemble a complete Cannabis genome, not just sequence it.
#4 Find and fully sequence and reassemble the full genome of varieties that they also have growth evaluations, like yield etc. they also need the Cannabinoid and terpene %'s of each.
#5 Locate all the marker genes for all important traits and exactly where on which chromosomes.
#6 Fully sequence varieties that they suspect have important traits they can ID with marker genes to use for breeding.
#7 Do the breeding work with marker assisted breeding.
#8 Trial the improved varieties under many different conditions so they know what they have.
#9 Produce large amounts of Improved varieties of seeds for customers.

Maybe I forgot something but this is a lot of big time-consuming hurdles already, not just 3 years.... They also need to apply for and receive licenses or permits to allow large scale Cannabis cultivation for any breeding work. They also need to find competent employees to do the above tasks.
-SamS

all they need to do is partner with gw pharmaceuticals lol

Limeygreen

Veteran
Thank you for the information Sam, the markers, once identified and proven will be the biggest game changer but lots of resources needed for that work and it will be exciting to hear them coming.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This guy knew before Sam did?
He musta read the Phylos disclaimer.

Sam must not have.

I was interested in iP rights,, i googled phylos IP and the first page to come was this,,, just from this page it talks about who owns what when you bring something to the table,,

https://phylos.bio/breeding-innovation

It just seems obvious that they would attempt a genomic preservation service too, they seem to offer extensive service,, why not offer a cleaning and bank service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts