What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Phylos Bioscience sparks outrage after announcing their beginning their own breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How did people aproch the iP side of phylos,,?,, i was naturally very careful,,, For instance,, i have never sent anything into phylos because I wanted a solicitor to review the iP agreements and see if they protect my work and my interest ,,

did anyone hardcore review this aspect of the business?,,, any patent clerk,, solicitor?,, barrister?

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
all they need to do is partner with gw pharmaceuticals lol

It seems gw is the main iP powerhouse in the game,,???,, a merger would be interesting,, but I'm thinking phylos is not in the running with gw an there iP

herbgreen

Veteran
Thanks for those links herbgreen, i found Kev Jodreys response to be quite realistic, he points out that there is an inevitability to much of this now that cannabis is on the cusp of legalisation and that big business is involved, but he also points out that the phylos database may also help protect breeders' property as they can use it to prove that they've been using certain varieties for as long as they have.

Kevin may have a just small investment in having phylos do well...lol :biggrin:

I think he may be their biggest partner and huge part of the future for phylos

Kev Jodrey is someone who does provide useful service

He has recently made serious commitment with a new dispensary and a new monster farm seen here...

Port Royal: Planting Season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLgsOicieWA

Anyway,

I like him shit everybody likes him cool guy but is in super deep

Dont get it twisted this is business

And he really does need to be like that if hes gonna survive

God bless him hope he does well

How this phylos partnership plays out I guess we shall see

he has many clone onlys that have been verified by other growers and cannabis community I think what he likes about phylos is he can have what he knows is the real deal on file DNA profile that he can check or provide that extra bit of security to his customers

Wonderland Brief Intro to Strains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhwNYSG89j0&list=PLUI_g75VibO9jUAmyjm5HU07MVZ0Qxhmt

phylos dont know jack about these clones...but they have Someone in Kev jodrey and he knows what it is

Once again they get cred from people like him and Rob Clarke ect ect

They want people like this in their stable because they have no hands on actual knowledge

they seem to offer extensive service,, why not offer a cleaning and bank service

This is another one where kevin jodrey and wonderland come in handy...

They offer tissue culture services to do just that

https://wonderlandnursery.com/services/

Phylos has their shell companies for breeding and their partners for services and distribution of their varieties in seed or clones

Yeah, I think if Kev Jodrey decided to bail.... phylos would really be up shit creek

I just think Kevin may be leveraged to max and in the middle of all the licencing BS for the expansion hes been working on

Probably not the best timing for him

Time will tell if the stupid ass phylos DNA fingerprint will be on every goddamn description label from now on

Lets hope not

Last edited:

shaggyballs

Veteran
I saw Phylos had a job listing on their site for a patent lawyer a couple weeks ago...

:chin:
:biggrin:
This is total bull shit they can not and will not ever patent anything.
Oh wait that is a line for Sam...LOL

We need to hire a good patent lawyer in order to stay informed and ahead of these ...... well you know.:)
Thanks for the info frostqueen!:tiphat:
If you have a link that would be fantastic, others here will call it fake news otherwise.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
It seems gw is the main iP powerhouse in the game,,???,, a merger would be interesting,, but I'm thinking phylos is not in the running with gw an there iP

G `day Rick

You do know there is an edit button on your posts ?
If you do , why do you wait 5 minutes or less and make a new post ?

5 posts in half an hour ? They could all be contained in the 1 original post ...

Thanks for sharin

EB .

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
sorry but why does everyone care so much? from the presentation I watched on youtube, they are not planning to genetically modify. but they have a team of scientists to assist breeding. am I missing something.
he passes comment that breeding cannot be done in a basement lol well weve done pretty well up till now!
the only thing that it seems they have is a big genetic library. they want to sell clones by tissue culture. its cool. if they sell their clones of well bred cannabis, we can by it and breed it with whatever we have.

I think its very hard to control a market such as this. its not like other patented consumer products. for example.. if patents were even possible, and was on say gg4.. surely if you made s1s, you could find something as good or better and it wouldn't have the same exact genes as the original so thus wouldn't be gg4 anymore.
I think they are trying to cash in on something which doesn't have any longevity in the market in general. but then that's my opinion..

shaggyballs

Veteran
Phylos lied, all parties knew what was up before the meltdown there is no doubt.
Gmo Cannabinoids are not going to be a good thing.

The iconic folks here at ICMAG mislead the general public.
They told us everything was cool with phylos and we should trust them dispite what the tinfoli hats have to say.
Well the tinfoil group was right, how about that?
Regular folks are outraged and want an apoligy which is not forthcoming.

This for a start!

There are other forms of plant rights protections, we should not get hung up on the word patent.

As you can see here:
I developed a THCV variety from scratch that was over 10% and with almost no THC more then a decade before this. We licensed the variety to GW Pharmaceuticals.
-SamS

if they sell their clones of well bred cannabis, we can by it and breed it with whatever we have.

And pay a royalty for every plant everytime you use it everytime!
So it is not like buying seeds you own them outright.
With a royalty you will need to pay for every plant even if you clone them yourself.
I am not sure you will be able to breed with it, probably need to pay a breeders fee and a percent for each of the offspring.

I am no expert but that is how it works with flowers and such.
You even have to buy their tag and they must be put on all the plants.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
breed it and then not tell them. they couldn't do anything because the clone they sell would share genes with other plants that they don't sell. they dont own the genome, just mapping it.

if I go buy pepper plant ( patented) cross it to my pepper clone.. the offspring is owned by me. especially since I would bother telling anyone. how can they protect against thousands of people doing that??

seems they are trying to be creative with trying to keep their own genetics to themselves. seems impossible. and a crack team of scientist might be able to breed them but they still need to grow out big numbers to find a good one. unless they do it in vitro. in any case even if they did they would still have to grow loads out to find a good one. so they are effectively just another breeder in the clone selling business..?!

shaggyballs

Veteran
if I go buy pepper plant ( patented) cross it to my pepper clone.. the offspring is owned by me. especially since I would bother telling anyone. how can they protect against thousands of people doing that??

This is not true at all!
Monsanto won in court over property rights many times.
If it is not effective why pay big money for protection?

While it is hard to protect against thousands of people doing it.
they will just start picking random people off and carting them off to jail.
Most will cease and desist under threat of prison time.
This has been done way too many times to count.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
so I take their clone, breed it and keep the seeds. destroy the said phylos clone. whos gonna know??

just seems crazy to me. I'm not saying you are wrong.

shaggyballs

Veteran
so I take their clone, breed it and keep the seeds. destroy the said phylos clone. whos gonna know??

just seems crazy to me. I'm not saying you are wrong.

Ok, I get what your saying.
Your good unless you get caught.
I lived like that most of my life so I do understand.:tiphat:

troutman

Seed Whore
I've seen flowers before like marigolds that had a sticker that said you're not to reproduce them after they
die. I imagine some people do anyways with the seeds and if for personal I bet most will never get caught.
On other hand, if your a commercial producer it could get you in lots of trouble if you're tested and caught.

White Beard

Phylos lied, all parties knew what was up before the meltdown there is no doubt.
Gmo Cannabinoids are not going to be a good thing.

The iconic folks here at ICMAG mislead the general public.
They told us everything was cool with phylos and we should trust them dispite what the tinfoli hats have to say.

Well the tinfoil group was right, how about that?
Regular folks are outraged and want an apoligy which is not forthcoming.

This is water under the bridge, mate, you’re just making it salty for the cat. Calm down, blow your nose, put away the dab rig and just chill for a minute. Of course there’s no apology coming, why would you even think there should be one?

.... speak for yourself shaggy.:moon::tiphat:

I do, and I did...LOL

You said “regular folks”, but that doesn’t mean we all want to listen to the same scream over and over, you may be ONE OF the regular folks, but stop crowding everyone else out of the conversation.

Please.

White Beard

And by the way, you’ve already started a different thread, a sour-grapes thread, so why are you *here* screaming? Take your grapes to your “I’ll Never Be Over This!!!!” thread - I’m sure all the regular folks are over there waiting for you.

Brother Nature

In the field of psychology, the DunningKruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people mistakenly assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is. It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.