What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Phylloxera information - aka root mites aka root aphids

kushism

suggestions???????????? what would be the most effective for killing aphids not on the pots or in the medium??

kushism

Happiness is being aphid free :D

Happiness is being aphid free :D

Ok I am happy to report that 3 days after applying the imid i am aphid free.. Stuff works like a charm.. the few plants that had been severely affected are all showing new root and leaf growth..

Take that root aphids :nanana:

Now back to being a happy gardener with a very happy garden.. :woohoo:

Thanks for the helpful info.. will report back if things change..

southpaw76

Great thread guys. This is actually the most informative thread I have found on this subject. And yes, I too am fighting these little bastards as we speak. I bought a bottle of the Bayer Tree and Shrub and I wanted to use it like sarek recommended. However, I have plants in three different stages of growth. Newly rooted cuts in 16oz cups which have the worst case. I have plants in 2gal containers which are almost ready to go into flower. Finally I have plants in 3gal cont. 30 days into flower.

The cuts in the 16oz cups are the ones that have it the worst. But I was gonna treat all the plants including the ones 30 days into flower. My obvious concern is, would it be safe to treat the ladies in flower with this product or should I just leave those alone. Thanks in advance people.

sp76

kushism

My obvious concern is, would it be safe to treat the ladies in flower with this product or should I just leave those alone. Thanks in advance people.

sp76

From everything i can gather from the wiki, the merit label, and this forum, this stuff is safe unless you ingest it in large amounts. As long as you are following the instructions on the bottle, or use Sarek's recipe to a T, and you should be good.
As far as using it on flowering ladies.. i feel your nervousness.. A partner was in the same situation.. He used merit, and we are waiting to see the results.. i am willing to bet that if you use the concentration suggested on the bottle or lower concentrations, that it is safe for flowering ladies..

Sarek said:
Bayer Tree and shrub 1 teaspoon /gallon of water in a bucket. Put over medium. The medium is important. Rockwool you can pour over top of cubes and let sit absorbing into roots. If you are in other medias you need to adjust delivery. Remember this stuff is not really a contact killer. It needs to be ABSORBED INTO roots and then it gets into plant and kills over next week or so. So if you just pour it over roots and then rinse it off it might not get absorbed. Whatever your technique and medium you need to think thru the delivery. You might add to resevoir and apply for 3 days then change water.

Personally I used merit, 3 1/2 teaspoons in my 35 gallon res. and ran the drip sys, and also handwatered from the same res to ensure full soaking. I noticed nothing living in there, crawling or flying after 24 hours. 14 days later and still no signs of anything alive, and nothing dead draining
into the resi anymore.. Plants have all put on 6"s of growth, and all the brown roots have been replaced with beautiful white healthy roots.. Now i can Flower.. what a relief

Imid works very very well..

Peace
Good Luck

southpaw76

Yeah, I have already applied one feeding to all my vegging plant, seedlings and rooted cuts at 1tsp per gal. I got about 5 weeks left on my flowering plants so I will give them a feeding at 1tsp per gal as well. Thanks again guys, I was going nuts there for a bit. If it wasn't for this thread I would have pulled the rest of my hair out :yoinks:.

sp76

G

Greyskull

Just thought i'd bump this thread with some new info. I actually have some winged aphids in my place but they look completely dif from the non winged ones. In addition to most people having both pests, this is why most people think they have fungus gnats when they have Aphids/Root Aphids. Mines look like this:

Photo courtesy of the uc davis pest management site

fuck I thought I had fungus gnats....

so I scored some Merit 75 WP from my friend, but he ripped off the part of the label with the dosage instructions (its hanging in his grow room...) and doesn't remember the dosage he used.

For those of you that have used the MERIT 75 WP successfully, what was the dosage??? In this thread have seen 1 gram per 5g, 1.2 grams for 5g, 1 teaspoon per 10g, and 1 teaspoon per gallon.... obviously its caused some confusion haha

thanks for the help

edit: i found the merit 75 wp details online here: http://www.gainvasives.org/hwa/merit.pdf
page 4 details 1tsp/10g....

Last edited:

kushism

i used 3 1/2 teaspoons per 35 gallons.. so i would say a teaspoon per 10 gallons. worked like a charm for me, 1 application and they were all dead..

G

Greyskull

alrighty here's a wee bit of an update.
on the 15th i dropped an Attain TR fogger in my veg room to drop the pestering flying fuckers. worked great. little dead fuckers everywhere. thats gave me to time to properly identify (great thread here THANK YOU) and and react effectively.
last night/this morning (it was 2am when I did the drenching fwiw haha) i mixed up 15g of water + 1.5 teaspoons (15ml) of merit 75 wp, stirred like a mad man, and proceeded to drench my plants... which are in 8"/1.75g pots of coco. I fed each plant 2 passes of 3/4L (so 1.5L per plant total). second pass about 15/20 minutes after the first, and achieved about 35% runoff. i checked my girls this afternoon when i woke up, and all the vegging girls were bright eyed and bushy tailed and there was a tray full of dead fucking buggers that needs to be sanatized in the very near future.
i'll be sure to update this thread with results as my crop matures.

thanks

kushism

Nice!! Glad you were able to take effective action early enough.. Imid is good stuff for these bastards, and merit works fast!! It's incredible how much better your plants will look just after 1 treatment, and it's disgusting how many bugs will get rinsed out.. Good Deal!! Please update when ya can :)

mrgreengenes1

Hi,
If you guys are having problems with phylloxera you should look up grape info because that is a big problem in Napa Valley Grapes. I think they have burned whole Vineyards because of phylloxera. They plant back with more resistant varieties in the vineyards. Make sure that is your pest first, correct indentification is the first step. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phylloxera

kushism

Hi,
If you guys are having problems with phylloxera you should look up grape info because that is a big problem in Napa Valley Grapes. I think they have burned whole Vineyards because of phylloxera. They plant back with more resistant varieties in the vineyards. Make sure that is your pest first, correct indentification is the first step. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phylloxera

There has been a lot of time and discussion in this thread just to make it easier to identify these nasty bugs, and even more helpful info dealing with treatments. I know for 100% certainty that i was dealing with phylloxera.. i was able to identify via this thread, and find the appropriate treatment.

Thanks for the additional info, thats pretty harsh, and i had no idea that they would torch entire fields.. LOL a little imid and the vineyards would be safe.. LOL

mrgreengenes1

Hi Again,
Just wanted to add the following: I have been using Imidacloprid for years in my wholesale nursery and it is a systemic insecticide. That means the plant takes it up into the tissue and anything feeding on the tissue for the next 90 days dies. You might want to think about that timing before you apply it to your buds. Dispite what wikipedia says Imidacloprid (and the other neonicotinoids) have been linked to a host of problems like Asthma, Thyroid disorders and more. Anyway I know you guys are trying to keep your heads above water but think about your application timing of this chemical.

One Love

Just wanted to bump this one back up. Anyone still dealing with these guys? I am about to pick up some of the bayer tree and shrub, but this guys post brings up new concerns. Has anyone sampled their buds after using this product? Good read here and very informative.
:rasta:

kushism

i think everyone who used imid in this thread has sampled. I have sampled buds treated @ 4 1/2 weeks out of an 8 week flower.. NO NEGATIVE EFFECTS.. BUDS STILL TASTED, SMELLED, SMOKED, AND LOOKED THE SAME.. I AM NOT ALL TWITCHY OR DROOLING RETARDED.. I DIDN'T MYSTERIOUSLY DEVELOP ASTHMA, OR HAVE MY THYROID GO APESHIT..

if used right, this product is safe...
LoL rats and dogs fed over 5000 mg of the stuff a day only had issue's and symptoms relating to nicotine poisoning.. It was @ dosages over 5000mg a day(which is a ridiculous concentration) that other various issue's were seen.. there will be no where near those levels of imid in your plants if you use as directed or a lower ratio..

So i have sampled imid treated buds, they were just as good as non treated...

One Love

"phylloxera D-day": 07/03/09 0600 hours.

its on bitches!!
:rasta:

big ups to kushism and all for the great read and advice.

kushism

LoL D-Day!!!!! nice, handle those bastards!!! seriously 1 application and you will be good to go, and after a week you will forget you even had bugs :)

Stuff works great!!
Glad i could help..

S

Shan Diego

We're back!

We're back!

FYI...I had treated a mom and I had assumed that the Imidacloprid would be present in her clones in high enough concentrations to ward off critters. This was not the case. They ended up with root aphids. Moral of the story, I am going to treat my clones with this, even though I had previously treated the mom. I couldn't find any references to propagation in the literature...now I have anecdotal evidence of my own.

Good luck to you all.

Latest posts

Latest posts