What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Phylloxera information - aka root mites aka root aphids

NorCal

Veteran
my treatments seem to have worked so far

the plants all look very healthy and i dunked em about 1 week apart

i actually just took 4 trays of cuts about a week ago and found that some of em had
the root beetles/aphids as i suspected as they seemed to be taking longer than normal to root

i watered them with the merit at the dosage i listed and left the water sitting there soaking the plugs for about 6 hours,then i emptied the trays and the following day lots more began to sprout roots and even more are showing roots each day, all the root bugs are gone too , hth

Last edited:

DRock

My treatment is working as well(knock on wood). Im going on 3rd week of flowering and dont see any negative effects. When i took cuttings about a month ago I noticed there were a few on the babies when they rooted on the clone machine. I took a different approach on them. I dipped em in Azatrol 1oz/10gal. and those look very good as well. I dont think you need Imid if you do some type of preventative @ first sign of roots with new medium. Im definetly talking a whole new approach to keeping these critters @ bay. I will keep you guys posted.

S

Shan Diego

Imid...Aphids dead. A week later, brown roots now have white roots starting to show. Plants show no signs of harm. Nothing crawling anywhere...Sweet!

Last edited:

sarek

If you hit ALL plants with imid ONCE that is enough! That includes clones, moms, everything so that you kill EVERY single aphid in your area. By once I mean long enough for it to get absorbed into plants, say 24 hours at least.

This stuff works GREAT.

RedReign

bodhiseeds said:
my mom room a few years ago got over ran with root aphids, i tryed everything, spent hundreds of dollars, freaked my plants out, and almost gave up. so finnaly i went to OSH and picked up the chem stuff, osh lawn and garden insect killer and watered with it ,making sure the liquid reached the whole medium and bam problem solved no more root aphids. im super organic, but in the end the chem saved my ass. hope this helps, i know how you feel.... :rasta:

I just found out I have these bastards in my soil and DWC girls. The soil girls look great, couldn't be better. I actually can't see a single aphid in any of the soil girls, but they are in the same room as the DWC girls, so they have to be in there.

They are on my DWC roots and the 1/2 of them look terrible. I plan on dipping the netpots/roots/hydoton in a water/bleach dip. I don't think any pest should be able to survive a water/bleach dip. Then put them in a fresh nutes with SM90.

Anybody else try the lawn and garden insect killer? I'm thinking of doing a root drench with it and then a week later give them a root drench of Bayer tree and shrub. Are the standand dosages on the bottles for both of these fine? Should I get the Bayer liquid or granules.

Has anyone completely killed root aphids off, without starting from scratch?

Here is a pic of what is crawling on my hydroton.

Last edited:

DRock

Go get Marathon II or Merit. I promise you it will get rid of them. I know its expensive but you only need to treat it once ant they will be gone. Dont waste your money on all the products that dont work!(Azatrol,Avid,SM-90)...

RedReign

Do you know where I can buy some Marathon II or Merit?

Couldn't find a place to order either one with a Google search. Although I would rather buy some locally if possible.

Also, what dosage worked best for you?

I want to use it for both DWC and soil. Can it be used for DWC?

Thanks.

Last edited:

RedReign

OK, found both Marathon II and Merit 75 for sale online.

$275 for 250ml of liquid Marathon II and $60 for 2 oz of powder Merit 75.

I'm going to call local nurseries tomorrow, hopefully somebody sells either of the two. I'm not worried about the price at this point. If I can't find something locally, I'll order the Merit 75, since it is alot cheaper.

Let me know the dosage that worked for you.

Last edited:

DRock

RedReign said:
OK, found both Marathon II and Merit 75 for sale online.

$275 for 250ml of liquid Marathon II and $60 for 2 oz of powder Merit 75.

I'm going to call local nurseries tomorrow, hopefully somebody sells either of the two. I'm not worried about the price at this point. If I can't find something locally, I'll order the Merit 75, since it is alot cheaper.

Let me know the dosage that worked for you.

Check online bro! Morgan county seeds...Best prices ive found so far

sarek

Home depot $25 for lifetime supply Tree home n shrub,There are all the same and tree and shrub is least concentrated therefore least toxic,

Another way? REPOST

Another way? REPOST

grabbed this off some other site, the bitch that wrote it won't mind:

Ok, so I've got the fucking root aphids. looked at them under a disecting scope they do appears to be phylloxera proper and not an aphid.

Everyone says to use Imidacloprid, the active in Bayer tree and shrub and several others. Problem is, its a systemic that's suppose to "protect" your plants for 12 months! I'm going to be harvesting in less than 3 and there is no way I want to smoke that shit.

So: tobacco juice. recommended for treating soil dwelling bugs, problem is nailing down a recipe. Its all over the fucking place with advice, most of it saying just 'put the juice on there' - not the most precise advice. So here is my situation and the recipe I'm using. We'll see if it kill the bugs or my plants:

I'm growing in 60% hydroton 40% coco coir, using canna nutes. They are in a 5 in 5 gallon bucket setup with the inner bucket having a bunch of holes and being lined with cocotek mat to keep the 'kibble' in. The bottom bucket has a 3/4 inch drain hole that goes to waste. Nutes are about 50% strength, going to 75% at some point in mid flower. The plants are about 2 1/2 feet tall, all Mendocino hash plant w/ vertical lighting. They are just about to enter flower cycle.

The recipe I'm using is: 6 oz natural cigarette tobacco (about 2 to 3 cubs I'd say) in 2 gallons boiling water. Steep 4+ hours then strain out the 'baccy. Top up to 2 gallons.

For application, put 42 ounces of the juice into 1.5 gallons water, top up to 2 gallons and mix. Apply 2 gallons thusly prepared to each plant, trying to flood the entire pot without spilling kibble and tobacco juice all over the grow room.

Hope to god you don't kill the plants.

I'll let you know how it turns out. Any helpful thoughts would be wonderful.
-peace.

I'll report back again soon but after one drench of bifenthrin at recommended strength for fruits/vegetables, I haven't been able to find a live one in over a week, many thousands of dead ones though. We'll see how it goes and update.

I have these little white bugs in one of my Plants pots(seems the only one to have them)..

Are there any stages of growth of the Root Aphid the it would look like a small white bug not bigger than a 1/16th of an inch (maybe even smaller) in length light colored/white you can tell that they are more of a slender bug eventhough they look so small, almost like a small white worm the Jumps and shit...

Anyone?? Please and thank you! Bless

JBM

I have these little white bugs in one of my Plants pots(seems the only one to have them)..

Are there any stages of growth of the Root Aphid the it would look like a small white bug not bigger than a 1/16th of an inch (maybe even smaller) in length light colored/white you can tell that they are more of a slender bug eventhough they look so small, almost like a small white worm the Jumps and shit...

Sounds like a symphilid or fungus gnat larva

S

Shan Diego

You are posting on the correct thread - I had exactly what you describe. Use imidacloprid, it will work.

kushism

root aphid update 2009

root aphid update 2009

Hi all, just wanted to say whats up..

I am in Socal. i use gutter trays covered in panda plastic, with holes for 3" net pots.. I am using gro-dan gro cubes, and a timed drip system.. i am on my 4th week of veg, about to flower

i thought i was battling fungus gnats, but 1 day last week i noticed little crawlies on the rim of my 3" net pots.. after days of research on ICmag i was finally able to determine that i didn't have fungus gnats(3 weeks of BTI, and no population control should have told me), but that i in fact had a very healthy population of root aphids :/ The pics Bobsyouruncle, and terran2 posted confirmed the identity

So what to do?? There is great info on root aphids and dealing with them in this thread.. So i decided to order some imidiclorpid in the form of merit 75, and also Botanigard.. I plan on dunking my pots and spraying my room once with the imid, then following up a week later with a dunk in the botaniguard..

if anyone has any advice on dosages that would be awesome.. i am thinking of using 1 gram of merit for 5 gallons of water.. What about the Botanigard???

I should be getting my merit tomorrow, and will probably dunk tomorrow evening. Will let you all know how the battle :dueling: goes..

Drock, Shan diego, Sarek, and Norcal, VT you guys bring some helpful and much needed info on this subject. All the info and experiences posted in this thread are priceless, and IMO this thread should be stickied..
thank you all.

S

Shan Diego

Don't do it.

Don't do it.

...I plan on dunking my pots and spraying my room once with the imid, then following up a week later with a dunk in the botaniguard...

Under no circumstances should you spray your room with Imidacloprid. It will not hurt the bugs, but it could hurt you. This is not a contact poison, it is a systemic. It must be absorbed by the plant roots, then the bugs eat/suck the plant to get the poison in them. Read the label - this product is safe if used as directed, but it can harm you if you spray it.

kushism

Under no circumstances should you spray your room with Imidacloprid. It will not hurt the bugs, but it could hurt you. This is not a contact poison, it is a systemic. It must be absorbed by the plant roots, then the bugs eat/suck the plant to get the poison in them. Read the label - this product is safe if used as directed, but it can harm you if you spray it.

Awesome, just the kind of info i needed..

Would Spinosad be safe to spray, i only want to spray the corners where the wall meets floor, as i notice the aphids collecting there..

S

Shan Diego

Spinosad is safe

Spinosad is safe

Sure, Spinosad is safe to spray, but it will not affect the aphids.