What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Photo Essay: Calcined DE as Rooting Medium

h.h.

Veteran
I think your indoor mulch is neat, but other than a Zen factor, I really don't see the benefit inside. What clover contributes, it contributes mostly after it is chopped and dropped. Outside it has many qualities and is an aid in creating micro environments.
I am trying the DE with cuttings. I really haven't attempted clones before.
I did add clover to the box as well as a bare rooted bell pepper.
The idea was to give me a visual way to judge water quality and quantity. and to provide roots to support fungal activity.
I appreciate the ideas.

mad librettist

Veteran
I think your indoor mulch is neat, but other than a Zen factor, I really don't see the benefit inside. What clover contributes, it contributes mostly after it is chopped and dropped. Outside it has many qualities and is an aid in creating micro environments.
I am trying the DE with cuttings. I really haven't attempted clones before.
I did add clover to the box as well as a bare rooted bell pepper.
The idea was to give me a visual way to judge water quality and quantity. and to provide roots to support fungal activity.
I appreciate the ideas.

this answer has been moved to the appropriate thread

Last edited:
V

vonforne

Great thread ML. I like the way it has evolved. Keep up the good work. You have really made a turn around after being banned 3 times. lol

V

Banned 3 times...... i like how thats possible.. haha great thread Mad i just bought some a few weeks ago for my next batch of soil for the seeds I just germed two weeks ago, but ive never thought of using it as a rooting medium, so thanks for the info.. got some Australian Violets as a living Mulch right now taking root in a few 15 gal pots waiting for my seedlings to get big enough to transplant in.. also clover seed is in the mail.. this outdoor season is going to a blast.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice. I posted on this about a year ago...and no one took me serious...lol. I have been testing it in place of perlite...well, messing around with rice hulls too...the DE is superior to both with out any real drawbacks. Surprised to finally see someone else stumble upon the same thing...

Edit: except for weight....it is much heavier.

dank.Frank

mad librettist

Veteran
Nice. I posted on this about a year ago...and no one took me serious...lol. I have been testing it in place of perlite...well, messing around with rice hulls too...the DE is superior to both with out any real drawbacks. Surprised to finally see someone else stumble upon the same thing...

dank.Frank

Awesome!

feel free to share your experiences, tips, etc... I have been using it only for a 6 months or so.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=3948861&postcount=10

;)

Very true, Jay.

Telling my secrets...hehehe. I use roughly 2 gallons of the DE and one gallon of perlite per 1.5 cu ft. of medium at the current play around phase. But also add 1/4c food grade DE to the same medium batch size for various other reasons...

Simply put, it is just better. More aeration in the root zone. Much better over all water retention thought the medium...leads to better nutrient retention ie just creates a better soil structure.

dank.Frank

So how do you guys soak it? Just with plan water? Do you soak it kelp? Or an ACT. I use it in my soil already but I just soak it in water, wondering if any other way may be more beneficial. Thank you

mad librettist

Veteran
plain water.

I think I soaked that bed with kelp, like 6 months ago.

I would keep you rooting medium as inert as possible. Tea is for seedlings.

I'm more talking about DE in soil not as a rooting medium. Would the soil benefit by pre soaking the DE in a light nutrient solution or anything. I think I may just do one pot with it soaked in plain water an another soaked in a light solution of sorts. I'm doing 10 different strains an only one strain is doubled up so it's the only way I can test it out.

mad librettist

Veteran
I'm more talking about DE in soil not as a rooting medium. Would the soil benefit by pre soaking the DE in a light nutrient solution or anything. I think I may just do one pot with it soaked in plain water an another soaked in a light solution of sorts. I'm doing 10 different strains an only one strain is doubled up so it's the only way I can test it out.

well remember it needs to be rinsed and screened.

if you want to dry it and pre-soak that's fine, but since it doesn't rob nutrients from the soil it's very optional.

bio-char would be a different story.

Thank you for the quick response Mad. Your right if it doesn't really rob the soil of anything than there's no real reason to add anything to it if my soil is working already. I'm just over thinking things. Time to medicate. =]

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For outdoor growing...I take soil moist and pre soak it in liquid karma then let swell then dry up again. Then add that to the soil...figure as it rains, maybe it helps and releases LK....lol. No proof, but I do it.

dank.Frank

Dudesome

Veteran
ugh, cant find this calcined de anywhere in europe. any tips on what type of stores or institutes could, would or do supply this product to the masses? I have been reading hell loads of good stuff about this thing and am now hooked.

The only problem is to find where to buy it.

there is some on alibaba where you can order from russia straight, but their minimum amount of suply can only be 1 metric ton, which is too damn much haha.

descivii

Dude,
Its a cheap absorbent used mostly by automobile industry for soaking up oil spills, check auto part stores.

I hadn't even thought about using it but I already use this in my terrestrial cactus mix (cactus collector at heart). Only issue I've ever heard is in regards to soil becoming like a hypertuffa/cement with other wrong amendment. Much more likely to occur in cactus mixes with low organic content.

J