What's new

PETA has outdone Sea Kittens

Moldy Dreads

Veteran
I bet the idiots at PETA are already preparing ways to undermine our heros as well :

Amidst the tranquility of a fishing trip at the Rose River Farm in Madison County, a wounded warrior says he almost feels "semi-normal again."
Retired Navy Capt. Ed Nicholson's Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing helps rehabilitate wounded servicemembers.

Retired Navy Capt. Ed Nicholson's Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing helps rehabilitate wounded servicemembers.

The amputee is one of about 1,000 servicemen and veterans who have reaped the benefits of the therapeutic art of fly-fishing, with the help of retired Navy Capt. Ed Nicholson.

"The demons of war, you just don't set them aside," says Nicholson, 67. "But once you get out on the river, the serenity is incredibly healing."

While recovering from cancer surgery at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in 2004, Nicholson witnessed wounded and disabled men and women -- many of them amputees -- struggling with their injuries.

"Other than being in Vietnam and seeing people in the process of getting hurt, I never really had a full appreciation for the recovery part and what happened after they came home. My recovery was nothing compared to what they were facing. It planted the seed that maybe there's something I could do," Nicholson says.

The solution was obvious to Nicholson, who says being an outdoorsman is in his blood: Get them out of the hospital and into nature.

Through free classes and outings, Nicholson's organization, Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing, helps rehabilitate injured and disabled servicemembers and veterans.

"We would run these classes that would better prepare them to be fishermen when the weather got nice and we could move outside, start casting lessons and go fishing," he says.

Nicholson saw that the discipline of tying flies, which requires patience and training, benefited veterans recovering from injuries. And it helped them relax.

"You have a guy who lost a leg and we get him out there wading in a stream -- he gets a boost. Or a guy who lost an arm, we start him casting. He has a chance to use his new arm and actually do something that's enjoyable," says Nicholson. Do you know someone who should be a CNN Hero? Nominations are open at CNN.com/Heroes

"Ed [is] showing us that if you have the will, they will find a way," says Army Staff Sgt. Brian Mancini, who lost his right eye after being hit by an explosive device in Iraq in July 2007. "It shows you that life's not over, it's only beginning." Video Watch Mancini describe how Nicholson's program helped his healing process »

One soldier with a brain injury says tying flies, building fly rods and casting has helped him with his motor skills. Others describe feeling normal for the first time in a long time. Video Watch wounded servicemen discuss the role of Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing in their recovery »

"Between the pain, the medication, the realization that their life has been changed, they're doing something that gives them a great deal of pleasure and that they can look forward to," Nicholson says. Video Watch Nicholson as he helps wounded soldiers through fly-fishing »

First Lt. Ferris Butler, an active participant in Project Healing Waters, agrees.

"If you compound losing body parts with losing friends, just getting in the water is a release," he says, adding that fishing gave him enhanced dexterity because it helped him learn to walk on prosthetics in the water.

Since 2005, Nicholson's program has grown to more than 50 locations nationwide with "more to come," he says. With support from The Federation of Fly Fishers and Trout Unlimited, the group is establishing long-term relationships with hospital and military staff, participants and volunteers. Participants across the country can attend outings during the spring, summer and fall.

Nicholson, who rises early and spends the better part of his day running operations for his organization, once thought he'd spend his golden years enjoying his favorite pastimes: fishing and hunting. But he says he welcomes the direction his life has taken.
advertisement

"I'm doing something that gives me as much satisfaction and gratification of anything that I've really done. I loved serving my country. I was proud to serve for 30 years. But I'm incredibly satisfied with what I'm doing now."

Moldy Dreads

Veteran
I think these morons are really just exhibitionists who like to run around naked:

url

url

url

peta04tb0.jpg

Amanda20Beard_Rather20Go20Naked.jpg

url

url

url

url

url

url

url

Steve-o is the best spokesman for PETA LOL, talk about Epic fail :
url

C

Cookie monster

hate animal cruelty love animals.

pets are for petting everything else deserves to be treated fairly but should be considered dinner.
Fur is not right unless you actually need it to stay warm.

it's that simple

Moldy Dreads

Veteran
else deserves to be treated fairly but should be considered dinner.
Fur is not right unless you actually need it to stay warm.

I can agree on that, people should hunt for their own fur..just like people should try to fish for their own fish and not have to do the supermarket walk of shame LOL

Moldy Dreads

Veteran
Good message, wrong way to convey it.
Good message? That humans should not eat any animals, wear any of their products, drink any milk, etc. That would contradict doctors, the Bible and human history. If you want to be Vegan, more power to ya, and try not to get anemic, but their stance is like the most extremist of religions advocating death to anyone who is different from them, it's plain extremism pushed down your throat...

teddybud

spreadin da love
Veteran
Good message? That humans should not eat any animals, wear any of their products, drink any milk, etc. That would contradict doctors, the Bible and human history. If you want to be Vegan, more power to ya, and try not to get anemic, but their stance is like the most extremist of religions advocating death to anyone who is different from them, it's plain extremism pushed down your throat...

FUCKING RIGHT ON MOLDY!!!!!! Peta = ignorance and a way to feel good about yourself while ignoring your own fucking problems.. God put animals here for us to eat plain and simple.

I LOVE seat kittens:

with garlic and butter sauce, fried, fresh outta the lake, cooked on a campfire, for breakfast/lunch or dinner, baked, broiled, smoked, even blackened. call me the bubba gump of sea kittens

lol i love fish

C

Cookie monster

I can agree on that, people should hunt for their own fur..just like people should try to fish for their own fish and not have to do the supermarket walk of shame LOL

read it properly you will see we are talking about the same thing.

C

Cookie monster

shit sorry mouldy i totally mis-read that

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Gotta love it. There is a slut or two for every cause.

I'm sure she will be eating some meat later if you know what I mean. Seriosly, I'm gonna start protesting for PETA now, just to get laid. Then I'll make the girl bacon for breakfast, and serve it on an Irvory plate.

Megas

Any thread dissing those sissy fanatics has my approval. I hate these people so much. I would never associate with one of them and laugh when they experience misfortune. they make me sick.

have u seen that poster of a guy eating a steak with an evil grin and blood gushing out? The title is "your daddy is a murderer". these people make me sick. I wish guantanamo was still open so that we could send the more extreme terrrorist ones over there. and yes, breaking into labs and threatening people who research on animals is terrorism.

Your totally right dude lets go step on some chickens and cook them up after. Maybe we should skin some animals half alive too, thats the American way! Clearly because we can do something that gives us the right to do it. Having a conscience about life is pure hippy talk they're prolly a bunch of commies who hate Jesus too. Shit man lets go get our guns and burn tires, later on we can go shoot some stray dogs and cats too.

NOKUY

Veteran
Bidens new puppy (breeder tormented by PETA)

Bidens new puppy (breeder tormented by PETA)

here's another one

Fifteen minutes of fame turned into four months of bitter remorse for the Chester County woman who sold the Bidens their adorable little German shepherd puppy.

Linda Brown's been investigated, scorned and had her life threatened.

"I thought when Joe Biden bought a puppy from me, what an honor," Brown told the Daily Local News. "Out of millions of breeders in the country, in the world, he picked me."

That was December....

When the story got out, Brown faced backlash from pet lovers who thought the Bidens should have opted for a shelter over a breeder to find their new puppy.

PETA seized the moment as an opportunity to blame the killing of shelter animals on people who buy from breeders. The organization's TV commercial, "Buy One, Get One Killed" ran in Delaware after the Biden puppy story made headlines.

Dog wardens from the state showed up at Brown's Wolf Den kennel, repeatedly, for inspections.

"I was cited for a piece of kibble on the floor and five strands of dog hair. They took a picture of that, they walked around, snapped pictures and don't tell you why," Brown told the newspaper.

She was found "not guilty" for each citation, but hiring a lawyer for the court hearings has cost her $4,000 so far in legal fees.

Brown says she and Biden both received death threats from animal activists.

"Never, never, never again," Brown said about selling a dog to anyone with a high profile.

Her advice to breeders who've called about the Obama's puppy search: Don't do it!

"It's been horrific since December," she said.

C

Cookie monster

look peta's heart my be in the right place mostly but their nut jobs they give normal folk who love animals a bad name.

peta are nutjobs whats their latest stunt wanting to change the name of a band from the pet shop boys to the rescue shekter boys, as if thats going to make a difference in any creatures life.

peta are to legit welfare groups what extremists are to the muslim religon.

S

Space Ghost

the irony is that over 70% of the animals that PETA "rescues" end up euthanized and stored in their giant meat locker... Also, how can a group call themselves ethical? any group... everyone's ethics differ greatly, it's just retarded...

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
interesting find NOKUY, having dabbled only a bit in breeding myself I can tell you it's hard work and often can be as costly as it is rewarding (vet bills, breach births, meds, advertising, etc...). One friend recently lost one of her favorite dogs during whelping (breach birth) & so the whole litter died as well from having no mother to suckle from, fuck the money, she was devastated as Vega was a stellar hunter and had a super dispostition.

EDIT:
Oh, and as far as that PETA shit goes.......
they can stick their holier than thou attitude where the sun don't shine, I refuse
to take the blame or be laid upon by a guilt trip of 'over population of pets', blame
the irresponsible pet owners that allow bad shit to happen, responsible, qualified
breeders that sell spendy dogs are NOT the cause of those issues.

Growler

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/ The actual documents that state that peta kills most of the ADOPTABLE pets in its care. 95% or so. The state that they are head quartered in wants to classify them as a slaughter house. Sorry, but that seems a little backwards for their cause. Just cause you willing to get naked for your cause does not mean you do the right thing all the time.