What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PET PHOTO CONTEST III: Dogs Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMJ Today

Wow!

Wow!

BirdDawg said:

But he's one of mine...and loves his frou-frou show dog look!

What a gorgeous animal! Really beautiful mate. She looks super healthy and well-cared for. Lovely!

Zeke wants to know how much work it is to keep all that hair in order!

sonoma

Nice stinkleaf....Those little fire plugs look like they're full of personality.

On the other note.....It's ok if there's cops here.....They need herb too!

G

quick

quick

stinkleaf said:
haha yea i end up cutting um like every other week...even then their still huge i dont wanna cut into his veins
the part youre weery of cutting, due to profuse bleeding if cut, is called the quick,,,bd

G

I use styptic pencils to stop bleeding if I've nicked the quick, if not it will usually stop bleeding within 5 minutes if it isn't too bad.

Last edited:
G

Shmike said:
I use styptic pencils to stop bleeding if I've nicked the quick, if not it will usually stop bleeding within 5 minutes if it isn't too bad.

LMAO..within 5 minutes that lil rat dog would bleed to death!
I have several dogs and nail trims are an everyday part of my life. I have found that a concret kennel slab help wear them down on there own...Since I had this installed I rarely do any trimming.

Seed

G

man, use to clip one of my other dogs before he was stolen, and one time he lunged forward at the wrong time.. bled puddles.. and the whining he made..
i felt so bad i didnt ever clip his nails again, always had the vet do it

got over my fear when we got our female.. i do hers now but granted she is ALOT more calm than our old male was..

BirdDawg

Bird Dawgs and Non Bird Dawgs

Bird Dawgs and Non Bird Dawgs

Hey, thanks, MMJ. Tell Zeke he wouldn't want to be a poodle! Hours and hours worth of work to keep show coat!! The good thing is that poodles seem to really appreciate looking their best and will virtually live on grooming tables at shows. My real "bird dawgs" (German Shorthairs) are pretty much wash and wear like your rottie..whose expression is priceless in that pic, btw....

Here's a real Bird Dawg for you. And this one's not just a pretty dog - he hunts, too. Titles at both ends, and all that...

BirdDawg

Stinkleaf -(and anyone else interested) here's a good website on trimming your dog's nails.
http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/nailtrim.htm

As a 40 year veteran of the dog grooming industry I can offer a few more tips. You might try a dremel tool to shorten them more (it cauterizes, too.) Cutting just up to the quicks will cause them to recede bit by bit so each trimming can be a little shorter. Or - take the "quick" way out - have quik-stop handy and just lop them to where you want them all at once and then keep after them to keep them short! This option will depend on your dog's behavior during he procedure - some dogs are more (or less!) tolerant than others! Or have your vet or groomer do it for you the first time, but make sure they know you WANT the nails really shortened - otherwise they tend to err on the side of caution and don't get near the quick. Excessively long nails can get caught and rip out at the nailbed, possibly resulting in life threatening infection, not to mention the everyday discomfort of not being able to put their feet down properly and ending up with permanently disfigured feet as a result.

MMJ Today

BirdDawg said:
Hey, thanks, MMJ. Tell Zeke he wouldn't want to be a poodle! Hours and hours worth of work to keep show coat!! The good thing is that poodles seem to really appreciate looking their best and will virtually live on grooming tables at shows. My real "bird dawgs" (German Shorthairs) are pretty much wash and wear like your rottie..whose expression is priceless in that pic, btw....

Here's a real Bird Dawg for you. And this one's not just a pretty dog - he hunts, too. Titles at both ends, and all that...

My aunt Jean always had several beautiful German Shorthairs around. They were mostly named after German numbers, like "Sieben"(sp?). Really smart dogs! But they didn't hunt them as I recall.
They lived in Glenwood Springs, Colorado at that time (so did I) and had a place out of town in the countryside, so the dogs had lots of room to run and play. Just good family pets, the lot of them.

I never tire of brushing and cuddling my old Zekers. He loves it too so we have a great relationship.

Zeke really is a pretty dog as Rotties go I think. *wink* But you're right...he looks like a complete doof in that picture!

ATB!

Last edited:
G

thanks birddawg.. i never thought of using my dremel, got a few diff.bits & wheels that would work perfectly..

BirdDawg

Another few words on using a Dremel for nails:
Use the little sandpaper coated tubes to do the nails. If you try this on a dog with long coat, use extreme caution so as not to get hair from the feet or ears caught in the tool. It can twist up the hair to the skin and cause a nasty burn, all in the blink of an eye!

stinkleaf

thanks bird dawg yea i used to work at a grooming lace and they said the same thing but i just feel bad when i clip into it they yel and yelp...anyways ill try getting some of that quikstop stuff

and oh yea they all have a very strong personality lol

stinkleaf

G

Dearest Lucas,

Someone once said, " Good things come to those who wait." It almost seems proverbial weighing the caliber of companion that you are and the length of time I waited. All the gratitude I have for you is being placed on this thread, although the only way you ever understand is through a late-night piece of cheese or sharing our warmth on a cold night.
A long time ago, acquired in the game of life, a 12 week old pitbull puppy which we named King Edward, came into my brother Ross' life. Several years and sired litters later of rejected puppy offers from him, I chose you. I was kneeling in the sand in holey jeans, pulling puppies from under a metal barn one by one, fourteen in all, and handing them off to Ross. Halfway through the task, you caught your very first sunlight. You also caught my fullest attention. I brought you home with me, stealing you from Momma at two days old to save the litter and mold me a partner.
A partner I know I had, but a best friend, almost a son, is what I got. We've traveled far and broad together, never leaving each other's presence very far behind. Riding motorcycles, sailing the southern Florida seas, and traveling across country are just a few of our excursions. You've always been there Luke, right by my side and I am thankful.
It's amazing that a notorious breed like a pitbull could create such a loving creature. You have man's best attributes minus greed, jealousy, and envy. You always find the time to give me warm fuzzy nuzzles even when feeling down. You act as if your whole existance is to please me. You lie when I sit, and walk when I walk, which is more than many good friends could only pretend to do.
In appreciation, I bid you a good life. Belly scratching and an occasional jalapeno pepper are the surplus and overflow of my worship.

Your friend and master,
Spreading Seed

PS- I know its rather odd to write a dog a letter but I think you folks understand where I'm coming from. I thank everyone who took part in this contest. You all have incredible dogs who all appear to be loved as if they are human. I'm glad I'm not the only one to engauge in this behavior. :wave:

Here is a pic of 1 of Lukes daughters. Her name is Hannah--a real sweety.

Last edited:
G

I like your style SS....getting ready to take mine to the flea market....stay safe.

edit: I couldnt resist one more pic...poor guy had a long day...

Last edited:

rusto

Beast
hurricanefaniam said:
I like your style SS....getting ready to take mine to the flea market....stay safe.

edit: I couldnt resist one more pic...poor guy had a long day...

dogs worst enemy is the flea market!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts